do you ever reveal your alts?

I do every now and then but I was curious of others view on this

Best Answer

Answers

• I know what you mean, I reveal some to others if they guess it. Usually I prefer not to since my characters have essentially nothing in common win one another. but it is assumed they are he same since I pull the strings? it's a shame really
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    [-(

I don't ask and I don't tell, for reasons noted above. Also because I never really played any alts concurrently, and they were never in the same org. And I'm not that good at making friends on any character so their social networks were small and didn't overlap! I fooled around with Lusternia while I was still playing Achaea pretty actively, finally settling on Daraius when I migrated.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • I'm pretty much with Daraius. I've had a number of alts that I've played alongside Ssaliss, but I've never named any of them. Not sure if people have guessed or not, but if they have, they've at least never told me about it. Plus, I'd like to think my characters are different enough not to be guessed, heh.
    I have trouble keeping track of relationships and conversations and loose narrative threads with one character. I can't fathom how people juggle alts without getting mixed up. I will say I might have jumped ship from Achaea sooner if I'd met Gadritan during my Celest alt's lifetime, but I'm glad things worked out the way they did because early Hallifax was amazing.
    I used to make cakes.

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I've played alts and I'm terrible at keeping them active, but when I do, people know I have them but don't know who they are.

It's concerning the lengths some people feel they need to go to know who your other characters are, rather than just enjoy the unfiltered interaction without any OOC stereotyping. Though that goes both ways, leave character bias and grievance on the character with the issue, if I rolled a Celestian and got killed by someone in Magnagora tomorrow, it makes no sense for Mork to be pissed at that person.

There are, however, people unable to keep their characters separate, and it makes it very easy to figure them out.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I'm just bad at making alts. I've done it, but then I always feel like I should be on my main instead of messing around on an alt. I've never hid them, but since they're not exactly active I doubt anyone cares.
  • I never tell, and keep them in different orgs.
    My forum persona is an alt.
    I used to make cakes.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Who alts?

Oh, right. Hi there, Shaddus.
  • Yeah, I'm with Shaddus on this one. I have no alts either.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Some alts I'll reveal to certain people, and others I keep just to myself, so I can experience a different style of play with a different group of people in a different way. But I don't alt very often.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • oh jeez didn't expect so many to respond heh
  • I don't have any alts because I can't see all of the ridiculous amounts of effort/credits put into one character being not-used by creating another.
  • I have a lot of alts, but only reveal them to close friends who I can trust, if I even do that. I still have lots people don't know about. 
    Mainly my characters people know are ones I used to play as my main.
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    When I make alts, I usually stop playing them within a few weeks. I play them typically to understand the culture of another org, or what it's like to play a different class, etc. Usually when I make them, I let at least one trusted person from that org know, so that they can keep an eye on me and give me that org's full experience, in case nobody else is online.

On that note...

<3 Ebonguard, Harbingers, Pyromancers, Institute, Moondancers, Shofangi, Spiritsingers, Cantors, Celestines, Nihilists, Cacophony, Ninjakari.
  • Altaholic!!
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Anita said:
    Altaholic!!
    I always come back to Zouvi though!
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    I have one main alt which I elected to be open about. Having Maerad as a pacifist has helped tremendously; I never feel awkward about combat-related crossover because it's a non-issue. Socially she and Tacita are in pretty different circles, too, so it's generally fine. And they are totally different in behaviour, so (hopefully) becoming samey hasn't been a problem either.
  • Any alts I'm actually serious about and not just testing out skills, never.
  • Kethaera was originally an alt, but I can rarely play more than one character at a time. I tend to forget whatever I was doing on one of them, or lose interest.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I usually only reveal them to certain people. People I'm IRL friendly with, and not just through Facebook. Occasionally I'll reveal an alt by my mannerisms, which seem to bleed over from time to time. I generally have three sorts of characters:

1: Characters I want to try out. I don't expect to get very far, and I just play these for the newness of it, the lack of expectations by those around me, and the sheer joy of having "a clean slate", so to speak. I won't join an order, I won't get married/relationship, and I won't likely even have a manse.

2: Characters I want to invest in and help my org with. These start out as number 1's, but due to the influences of other characters around me, I'll start being more interested in playing these. I generally buy credits in larger amounts on these, trans a guild skill or two, and might pick up a minor guild position like Undersec. These are characters I also will buy cartels on to design my own things, or maybe for orders. About a third of these will join an order, most will have manses, and some will get married or have relationships.

3: Main Characters. I've only had a handful of these (Shaddus, Pesukaru, Llewell, Entrias, Vitas). All of the above plus likely rising higher in the order/guild, an extensive manse (except for poor Vitas), and I'll usually get married plus actively look for kids. I'll usually also tend to be more likely to buy artifacts/curios/shiny things on these people.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Lendren said:
    All but one of mine were revealed by others before I decided to.  I would have preferred not because when they don't know, they judge your ideas based on your ideas and your actions based on your actions; and when they do, they judge them based on the preconceptions they have of you, and generally, can't separate out those that are part of the player and those that are part of the character.

I have to say, you hit it right on the nail there!

Deciding to teach Arcanis the ultimate lesson in manners, you point a finger imperiously at him and
    call the curse of the toad down upon his head. You watch in satisfaction as warts break out over his
    skin which then turns green and slimy. Finally, he shrinks and transforms into a large, ugly toad!
    With a telepathic sigh, a pooka tells you that he has lost control of Arcanis's actions.

In order to put the pathetic life of a warty toad out of its misery, you lift a foot and bring it
    down mightily on its bloated green body.
    A warty toad's back breaks under the weight of a heavy foot, its innards spilling out and leaving a
    messy stain on the ground.
    You have slain a warty toad.
    A warty toad wobbles about uncertainly and turns a pale shade of green before suddenly stretching
    and transforming into a demigod. Shaking his head, Arcanis stands before you where once there was a
    toad, looking slightly disoriented and perplexed with his tongue lolling out the side of his mouth.
    Arcanis drops the corpse of a pixie.
    Arcanis drops the corpse of a pixie.
    Arcanis drops the corpse of a pooka.
    Arcanis drops a stalk of faeleaf.
    Having been too much for the mortal threads of Arcanis, he screams in agony as flames engulf his
    body and burn it to a crisp.
    You tell Lord Fist Arcanis De'Unnero, Chosen of Wrath, "By the by, let that be a lesson in manners.
    I don't need friends to kill some of you one on one."
  • I have one alt who's somewhat established and nigh prolific in her Guild. But the only thing is that I can't play two characters at once, so it's either her or Lillie that's around. I'm sure that her Guildmates simply consider her to be inactive, but I plan to swap to her when things with Lillie become more routine.

I don't really care if people piece together the subtle hints that I drop and figure out who she is, but I'll never flat-out say it.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited January 2014
    I'm currently (struggling) to maintain three characters in separate orgs, but my alts are more often than not just throwaways when I need a break to reinvent myself and get back on track. Usually I keep them completely anonymous until someone I'm comfortable with gets curious and asks, but I'm not opposed to people knowing. If they want to judge one based on the other, yes, that does sort of make me sour, but at the end of the day I know that they're all played to be their own identity, and I'm content regardless.

I wish I could play them all, but especially give the amount of nonsense I heap onto my main of mains, it's just not possible to keep the interest running in separate directions for long. Eritheyl is the sole character with investments: familial relationships, cartels, order placement, artifacts, etc.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • I will neither confirm nor deny the existence of any alts, whether they be my own or those of someone else. Furthermore, I insist (usually in vain) that people not tell me who their alts are.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    I have 5 alts. Find them. 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Munsia said:
    I have 5 alts. Find them. 
    All you have to do is get a list of everyone in your House D'cente clan.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.