Marriage by Captains!

MoiMoi
edited February 2014 in Ideas
The Captain skill in Aethercraft (available at 25% Mythical) should grant access to the MARRY <foo> TO <bar> verb while in aetherspace on board an aethership.

Comments

• Although it's a myth that captains IRL could officiate marriages I would be OK with this since I was disappointed to find out it wasn't true.
    Retired.
  • I would also propose extending marriage to people of sufficient city rank/council members.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• Not sure why we need more people being able to marry people. To allow others to do marriages just cheapens the privilege when you get it in your order. This said, there are plenty of people out there who can perform marriages.
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• MoiMoi
    edited February 2014
    It's not that you can't find someone to officiate the wedding, it's that everyone who can is either a Divine or a priest. There's a demand for secular weddings, especially in Hallifax and with people who aren't in an order.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited February 2014
    Not every org necessarily is teeming with high ranking order members. 

Being able to marry people on non-divine authority sounds like a great idea. I don't support letting everyone with the aethercraft skill do it, but certain org leaders should definitely be able to. 
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I don't like the idea of any old aethership captain performing a marriage, but it should definitely be a power of a city leader (or Minister of Culture? I dunno). Daraius is exactly the kind of person who would have much preferred a secular wedding! But having Arel officiate was pretty cool.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • See, I was thinking that Guardians/Wiccans of a certain rank should be able to do so.
    I tend to think of them as priests anyway(in Hallifax they are Priests of Science! of course).
    They are already in every player org and what not.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    I'd say grant the ability to elected council members. That is important enough to where it wouldn't cheapen the Order privilege. That said, it is also not required that the person performing the ceremony be the one to use the MARRY command either. You can have a member of any order just pop in to make the thing official at the end of the ceremony, too.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.