Membership problems

ShaddusShaddus , the Leper MessiahOutside your window.
(Before one of you admin reads the following post/thread and looks into the problem, know that this isn't a cry for help or complaint per se. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem.)

I've had a membership in Lusternia for as long as they've offered it. It's an amazing deal, and I feel it helps to support a game I really enjoy. I've bought memberships in other IRE games before, but only for a month or two at a time. Lusty is my home.

Pretty often, I'd say every other month on average, Estarra has had to fix my membership. It will expire and give me the message on CREDIT REPORT that I have X amount of days to renew it to keep my accrued benefits. I'll usually buy it on the following Thursday (my payday), and without fail, it will auto-renew again in a few days, charging me a second time. Estarra has had the good graces to keep working with me on this and refund my second payments, but she's likely tired of it.

Has anyone else had this sort of issue? Should I just wait until it auto-renews and just lose a few days worth of lessons?
Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.

Comments

• I just set mine up through Paypal, and it works fine, autocharging me.

I did have a problem once where I cancelled the subscription and tried to reactivate it the same month, and Estarra had to fix it, but that's the only issue I've run into.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I generally use paypal myself, but it doesn't work out as seamlessly as it should be. I've made sure I had my funds in my account before, and my membership will still pause for a few days before it actually renews.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • You don't lose a few days worth of lessons. When it renews later, it will also expire later, so you will get your full month's worth for each time you pay.

My experience with paypal has been fairly consistent, perhaps the problem is on your credit card requiring auto payments to have a wait time where they can check it is genuine before they will process it? You'll want to look into your bank details for that.

• I have a little problem with paypal: since I don't have a credit card, I normally use it whenever I do shopping on the internet. I can buy credits just fine with it, but whenever I try to sign up for a membership, it keeps telling me that I need to add a credit card to my account.

Is this because it somehow doesn't support monthly payments from non-credit cards? 
    I don't think so, mine is a debit card. 
  • Hmm...that's strange then. I also heard from other people that they are able to pay through paypal using debit cards. Maybe, it depends on the type of debit card. Though I couldn't find a list on the paypal site that states which ones it takes.
  • Is it the IRE site telling you that, or PayPal itself? I have PayPal connected up to my credit card for identity protection, so every monthly payment actually charges my card and it is handled through the PayPal service. It may be that you can't simply do monthly payments with what balance is on PayPal. Or maybe you can, but your balance is not high enough? That's just speculation though. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • It happens when I select paypal as the payment option for the membership and then click on proceed. The site it leads to looks also a bit different from when I just want to buy credits. I usually don't keep a balance on my paypal account itself but let everything be drawn directly from my debit account through it. Maybe, I should try transferring some money to paypal and see what happens.

I am sorry that I kinda hijacked this thread.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Aerdiya said:
    I have a little problem with paypal: since I don't have a credit card, I normally use it whenever I do shopping on the internet. I can buy credits just fine with it, but whenever I try to sign up for a membership, it keeps telling me that I need to add a credit card to my account.

Is this because it somehow doesn't support monthly payments from non-credit cards? 
    PayPal doesn't support recurring payments without having a credit/debit card it can draw on file. It is a limitation of PayPal. I've had Smart Connect for ages now... was the first credit line I ever got, actually... but it has never and will never take funds from there or directly from your PayPal balance.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • I have a pre-paid credit card (meaning, I go to the shop and put money on the card, it's not connected to the bank whatsoever) and I have that connected to PayPal, my membership works fine, every month. I just have to remember to actually put money on the card, otherwise it'll cancel the subscription 'cause lack of funds. 
    Anita said:
    I have a pre-paid credit card (meaning, I go to the shop and put money on the card, it's not connected to the bank whatsoever) and I have that connected to PayPal, my membership works fine, every month. I just have to remember to actually put money on the card, otherwise it'll cancel the subscription 'cause lack of funds. 
    I did that for a long while, and then switched to my bank. Both cards have the same issue, leading me to believe Paypal is giving me issues and not my bank.
  • I have mine hooked up directly to my bank account (routing number/account number) rather than through my debit/credit card. Like I said, never had an issue.
  • One issue I've found with PayPal is that sometimes they'll delay a payment for up to two weeks while it does some sort of authorization check. Some players then think the membership stopped for some reason so restart a new membership, but then the first membership goes through and they end up having paid twice for the same month. I have yet to figure out why it delays payments for some credit cards but not others, but it definitely can be annoying.

(FYI, if you think you need to start a new membership, ALWAYS cancel the old one first! Most likely it is in some pending queue and will begin charging you again at some point.)
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Tavon said:
    I have mine hooked up directly to my bank account (routing number/account number) rather than through my debit/credit card. Like I said, never had an issue.
    How the heck did you do that with membership? I tried that for a friend and it insisted on using a credit card, even through Paypal.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I honestly don't remember, and don't feel like cancelling/redoing it just to do a step by step. I do have a credit card hooked up, I just don't use it for the subscription. Maybe that's good enough for Paypal?

Regardless, if you want to try to do it just from the bank account, go into Profile>My Money>Update Preapproved Payments>Click the Lusternia one, and see if you can change the payment methods at the bottom. If that doesn't work, I don't really know.

• Thanks a lot for all the advice!

I made it to the Update Preapproved Payments step now, but I can't find an option for Lusternia. Though I found an old log from another company that also did monthly payments, so it must have worked at some point (though I haven't played the game it refers to for over four years, so I don't know if they updated some policy since then).
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Tavon said:

I honestly don't remember, and don't feel like cancelling/redoing it just to do a step by step. I do have a credit card hooked up, I just don't use it for the subscription. Maybe that's good enough for Paypal?

Regardless, if you want to try to do it just from the bank account, go into Profile>My Money>Update Preapproved Payments>Click the Lusternia one, and see if you can change the payment methods at the bottom. If that doesn't work, I don't really know.

You should be able to set it up from a bank account without a debit card on PayPal. Their one and only issue is that you can't use their credit line and/or PayPal balance for recurring payments. Everything else should work. Not sure about Morkarion's case as I am not aware of how PayPal handles UK bank accounts. It could be an issue there.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Estarra said:
    One issue I've found with PayPal is that sometimes they'll delay a payment for up to two weeks while it does some sort of authorization check. Some players then think the membership stopped for some reason so restart a new membership, but then the first membership goes through and they end up having paid twice for the same month. I have yet to figure out why it delays payments for some credit cards but not others, but it definitely can be annoying.

(FYI, if you think you need to start a new membership, ALWAYS cancel the old one first! Most likely it is in some pending queue and will begin charging you again at some point.)
    Ugh, that's gotta be it.