how do you say your characters name?

Comments

• Xenthos said:
    ... I pronounce it like "Hegemony".  Would not have even thought of a different way!
    I did too!
    Reth Ear Ian
    Lmao not too hard
  • Maeko said:
    Like the shark.

i say may-co or mah-aeh-KO (japanese pronounciation)
  • ... I really don't need to post here, but...

K.
  • Kay said:
    ... I really don't need to post here, but...

K.
    setalias kay tell kay
  • Kay said:
    ... I really don't need to post here, but...

K.
    Are you sure it isn't ¿Qué? you know, like K but with a sharper middle.
  • Bit of a thread necro, but I figured someone must have made this thread before, so I searched for it instead of starting it fresh.

Anyways, I'm of the opinion that in real life, a lot of names have wild spellings that we've just grown accustomed to. So sometimes I try to make fantasy names have that same feeling, where there's just a tiny bit of disconnect between spelling and pronunciation.

So, it's Lu-SELN, by the way!
  • @Lucaln I always thought it would be LuKALN, interesting! Was there an inspiration for your character's name? B/c mine is just a slight modification on lucidian namegen.
    "May this be the first of many new experiences for you, Heart of the Crescendo," Czixi says, smile quirking. "The future is an exciting place."

https://estelss16.deviantart.com/, visit if interested.
  • The inspiration just came from making sounds with my mouth trying to find something that felt natural to my ears ("lu-seln") and then writing it down in all the different ways I could conceive of spelling it, intuitive or otherwise: Luseln, Lewseln, Luceln, Lieuceln, Lhusaln, Lucaln, etc. Then I picked out the one I thought looked appealing based on my intangible subjective method of "this feels right."

I think A is a prettier letter than E, so I went with Lucaln over Luceln, which also had that little bit of disconnect that I appreciate in name spellings.

I love the NAMEGEN command, but it bothers me a bit that there's no way of seeing it until you're already playing the game? If I had known illithoid naming conventions before registering, I would have come up with something like Tsathoghlin or Hastruna or what have you.

• Eyve-sith! 

And sometimes she gets called Ive (Ivy)!
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Aaaaand now one of us is going to have to NAMECHANGE. (Still loo-SUH, for the curious).

And since I spilled the beans on some of my alts, but not others, I also have:
    Alva (ALL-vuh)
    Gella (hard g, 'geh-LUH')
    Keivi (KAY-e-vee)
    Pupo (Poo-poh)
    Taen (rhymes with cane, but with a t sound)

And as mentioned, Syridean was "sheer-UH-deen", hough his nickname was Syrii (SEAR-ree).

For giggles, imma add a couple extra-Lusternia characters too, because I like languages and names.

My FF XIV main is Rhesh Rabantah (rrr-ESH ruh-BAN-tuh), My primary character on Guild Wars is Rehssa (reh-suh), secondary is Khristos Rago (KREEs-tohs RAY-go), tertiary Luzennia (loo-ZEN-nee-uh).

I don't have an alt problem.
  • bear-lock
    the only funny thing is, I was a faeling for 100 years before I realize I should be Tae'dae.
    Shouldn't have taken that long.
  • Shoo la meet
    Bookbinder by trade! Designer of most other things.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Shulamit said:
    Shoo la meet

Pesu's been calling you Shoe La Mitt the whole time he was married to you.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    Shulamit said:
    Shoo la meet

Pesu's been calling you Shoe La Mitt the whole time he was married to you.
    And that's perfectly okie dokies!
    Bookbinder by trade! Designer of most other things.

• Always pronounced it shoo-LAM-it, like the Willamette river/valley.
    Played too much Oregon Trail, I guess.
  • A couple of people have asked elsewhere, so:

Aye - PAT - tea - uh

Like Hypatia if it was pronounced phonetically in English (which incidentally, it's not. Hypatia is pronounced high PAY sha).
  • Aypatea said:
    A couple of people have asked elsewhere, so:

Aye - PAT - tea - uh

Like Hypatia if it was pronounced phonetically in English (which incidentally, it's not. Hypatia is pronounced high PAY sha).
    From Dishonored 2? :D
    The cool night-time breeze shivers in the arid caress of the streets of the capital city, brushing the earthen taste of dust across your lips.
    A blessed silence falls upon the city for the moment, most activity confined to the towers and the
    theatre due to the snowy weather.
    Pinprick points of light twinkle in the deep black overhead, their brightness full of a cold,
    hungering malice.
  • Vatul said:
    Aypatea said:
    A couple of people have asked elsewhere, so:

Aye - PAT - tea - uh

From Dishonored 2? :D
    Perhaps, I've never played Dishonored 2 and don't get the reference.

Hypatia is famous for being one of the earliest known female philosophers / mathematicians and trying to sort of stay above the fray during some of the early related to the Christian Church when it was first becoming a thing in the Hellenic world.  Her death is widely considered the turning point marking the end of the intellectualism in Classic Antiquity. 

She appears in fiction every now and then in connection with the Great Library of Alexandria burning, which wasn't literally true but was metaphorically true. 
  • PR-Ax-naR
  • edited September 2018
    Yasei - Yah say

The first half of my name can be heard here: 

Sumi - Sue me

• I've been asked a few times so I thought I would post it here! My name is just a linguistic bastardization of the german word for lizard! Eidechse is roughly pronounced Eye decks uh.
  • However you say my character's name in your head is entirely correct and canonical.

That being said, I usually pronounce it as 'Jar-soon'.
  • I figured it was Jar-Sun... Like this thing...

Oh wait, that's a Sun Jar...
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I always thought it was yarr-soon
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Chore-ose.
    Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • TRA-hee.
    Poke the Hand of Doom for commissions.
  • Cora-line (as in line) 

NotCaroline :D

You are startled as a lemon meringue pie bounces harmlessly off you after being thrown at you by Mysrai.
  • hell

alternatively: Quill or ten yuh / Quail or ten yuh

I will accept both as correct