What's in a Name?

TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
Inspired by the thread about pronunciation, I thought it would be interesting to find out why you named your character what you did and if it's relevant what that name means. We may have had something like this before in the past/on the old forums but oh well.

To begin: Tacita - which means silent and mute, funnily enough - was not actually named because I expected her to end up following Nocht. It was much more literal than that - I intended her to be this quiet little girl who just hid in the library all the time, so I named her accordingly. That didn't turn out so well.

Maerad is purely named that because I was reading the Pellinor books by Alison Croggon at the time and I liked the name.

Comments

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited March 2014
    I used an elf name generator.... >.> <.<

Plus, I liked the sound of it.

Elanorwen Starsun [a type of flower] (elanor) Maiden and Virgin (gwend)

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Really no meaning behind it.

I really just took a name generator and keep going through that until I found a name I liked. I modded the ending a bit and got Ayisdra. (Random fact: One thing I changed was the Y in my name was a ch at one point. so I almost was Achisdra)

Finding a name I liked took me about a week or two to do.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Eritheyl's name was originally going to start with an L, with similar composition. When I noted it was a little too close to looking like a fancified Lyreth, I went out on a limb and just started rearranging. Ended up sticking with the E in front, which I found fitting as he started out elfen.

Just a random habberdashery, really. I tend to just keyboard mash in notepad when trying on names, then narrow it down from a VERY long list.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    I know some elfen names end in -il. I wanted the name to have a Z, a V, and a Q. I did not want any a's or e's.

ZVQil
    ZQVil
    VQZil
    VZQil
    QVZil
    QZVil

Zouvi could have ended up at Qivouzil or Qiuzovil just as easy. Sadly, my reasoning was not as deep or enlightened as some others will invariably be.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Corruption of the Latin name Porcius, taken from the full name Marcus Porcius Cato, in reference to both of Cato Censorius and Cato Uticensis. Chosen because Portius was intended to have a sort of Hallifaxian version Catoish conservatism.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • I had just finished re-reading the Cheysuli chronicles and loved the concept of having a 'Taj' (after one of the Cheysuli lir), but wanted it to be more feminine so it became Tajalli (Taja). 

Then I was asked by another player if I was Arabic and I was very confused and lo and behold it's an actual term with actual meanings. I still don't quite understand all of it, but it means 'effulgence', and is tied to theophany. 
  • I am a super super big fan of Raymond E. Feist books, and I wanted a name from those..And Anita, I loved her.
    I didn't want to have something that you knew it was from those books specifically, and I also loved 101 Dalmatians(the cartoon one) as a kid. So, Anita was born :D 
  • More than one person has asked if was somehow linked to "ss-ali-ss", and guessed that my name was Ali. That would've made a much better story, but sadly, there was no real thought behind it (at least as far as I can remember).

And no, my name is not Ali. Nor is it anything similar.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Enyo is the greek companion goddess to Ares, and is likewise a deity of war. I 'feminized' the name, anticipating it would become a nickname, and smashed it together with another word I can't remember - I think it was probably 'lindo', making a name that approximates the meaning: "Beautiful War".

My stag's name (Badrizak) is a portmanteau of three names meaning 'moon' in three different languages, smushed to not sound like as much of a jumble.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited March 2014
    I wish I had a good story for Daraius. As far as I remember it was a name I pulled out of thin air back when I did this kind of interactive storytelling project. It was the surname of a royal family. It seems like it might be a not-entirely-uncommon Indian name?

Shant the thunderbird got an Armenian word for lightning as his name because I'm unoriginal. Shantu (the gryphon) is a corruption of a Hindi word for peace, calm, etc. But it's also Shant Two. :|
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Aiyana \ai-yanaaiya-na\ as a girl's name is of Native American Indian origin, and the meaning of Aiyana is "forever flowering". 

Aiyana wasn't ever intended to be anything but a forestal...

We see how well my will power worked out.

• Diniah just came from my head, as a name that I enjoyed.

Then I found that it is extremely similar to a hebrew name that means Judgement. I like that very much indeed.

Avatar by the most wondrous Feyrll
  • I was tired of using anime character names, so I decided to make an original name for a change. Lerad resulted from my favourite sounding consonants at the time.

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Lavinya said:
    Turnus was the primary potential suitor of Lavinia

Ha, found that very amusing!

Lavinya came from Lavinia, a character in a book I was reading that I liked the sound of. She was actually the name of an Aes Sedai character I roleplayed on Dragonmount (forum based rp) and just yoinked the name over and based the Lusternia character on her namesake.
    Also this: Lavinia, in Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus, is the daughter of Titus, and is raped and butchered by the sons of the Gothic queen.[2]

Just saying!

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • I originally joined this game with someone from the kongregate chat, and we wanted to be named similarly, and she wanted to name herself "marseili" and I was like "uhhh, uhhh, uhh, MARCELLA THEY BOTH START WITH MAR".

Yeah. Too bad she quit playing and got deleted..
  • Funny enough, only Shulamit has figured out the origin of 'Kaalak' and it is a roleplaying reference.

*shrug*
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Celina said:

Celine was a snooty, posh Mage from my favorite game, Star Ocean: the second story. Very arrogant but also powerful. Also kind of a bitch. This Celina was born.

All my likes for this.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited March 2014
    Turnus said:
    Lavinya said:
    Turnus was the primary potential suitor of Lavinia

Ha, found that very amusing!

Lavinya came from Lavinia, a character in a book I was reading that I liked the sound of. She was actually the name of an Aes Sedai character I roleplayed on Dragonmount (forum based rp) and just yoinked the name over and based the Lusternia character on her namesake.
    Also this: Lavinia, in Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus, is the daughter of Titus, and is raped and butchered by the sons of the Gothic queen.[2]

Just saying!
    Apropos of this...if you haven't seen Titus Andronicus performed, I highly recommend the 1999 movie Titus featuring Anthony Hopkins and Jessica Lange directed by Julie Taymor.  It features the most EVIL character I have ever seen depicted in any media, Aaron the Moor.  And he is fantastic.

Fair warning: the movie is highly symbolic and has HBO style nudity.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Made up the name for a DnD campaign that didn't go anywhere. I started playing Lusternia a week or so after that, and just reused the name.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I just went with something I felt sounded a little robot-like to me at the time. Concise and to the point, like a noise a machine might make. I feel like it worked out well.