What's in a Name?

13»

Comments

• Celina...now I just have to say <3. Star Ocean 2 was fantastic and a lot of fun.

Barrel.

Now, as for Hiriako. The name means nothing, and comes from nowhere. I simply created it out of thin air when I was creating a character. 
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Hiriako said:

Barrel.

It looks best from this angle.
  • Kethaera(Keth-air-ah) originally was a name I created for an elf in a short story set in the DnD universe. According to some elven name generator, it meant "wind song", which was good enough for the story-Kethaera and sort of works for my character... I guess. Though I just liked the way it sounded... until I realized that it sounded/looked similar to 'kephera' and 'Kethuru'. 

The story had three main characters... so one of the other names I used for my spider-mount, and the third is a Serenwilde alt that I don't play anymore. Sadly.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited April 2014
    Δάρειος [a Persian word, from R. dar-, to hold: "the sustainer of the empire" 

Forget what I said earlier. I'm retconning. 

I chose the name Daraius, which is a corruption of 'Dareios' because I intended him to be the sustainer of the empire of Hallifax through his tireless bureaucratic efforts. Also, the root word is 'to hold' which is just perfect.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited April 2014
    Haezon's first name was Zacharaj, but that was a placeholder almost immediately as I didn't like the name. So, after talking with a guide, I asked for a good trill name. He said to use the random name generator, and I saw Haezon. I instantly fell in love with it.

Bit nervous, because, obviously, Raezon, but nobody else seemed to mind (Except Munsia who confused me with him :P) so, yeah. Haezon. It really fits him. I like how it sounds close to Hazmat or something. Much better than Zacharaj.
    Retired.
  • Shaddus said:
    ... A lot of names i use have double letters in them, like Llewell or Aania. That ... always mean[s] if you see someone with double letters ... it's me, mind you.

I always knew I was an alt you never got into.....
    so yeah if I'm unresponsive in game drop me a message here.... chances are I'm browsing
  • Kelly said:
    13-year old Kelly was very confused at "What's your name, adventurer?".

Aaron was the person who text me when I was making my first character, I saw what's your name? and was thinking ummm Aaron? they ain't gettin my real stuff.... kinda was pointless since I had to register
    so yeah if I'm unresponsive in game drop me a message here.... chances are I'm browsing
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I wanted something that sounded like an old witch name from a fairy tale or something.

"Dram" is a unit of measurement from antiquity, originally for monetary weights, but it came to be used in the apothecary system to measure liquids. In a lot of fantasy or fairy tale works it seems to be a commonly used word associated with potions.

"Shanks" refers to the bottom portion of the leg. It also has very negative associations of backstabbing due to the slang term "to shank someone" meaning to stab them. As a noun it often refers to a crude weapon crafted in a prison. I liked the sinister sound to it.

I pushed them together and ended up with something that, at least to me, sounds like a stereotypical old-fashioned witch name which I like

True confessions: When we first adopted you, I called you a pirate.
  • Kaalak said:
    Funny enough, only Shulamit has figured out the origin of 'Kaalak' and it is a roleplaying reference.

*shrug*
    I didn't think it was that...I'm the only person? :O

My name of Shulamit is easy, it's my hebrew name. Hrrr, I'm not creative sometimes.
    Bookbinder by trade! Designer of most other things.

• Shulamit said:
    Kaalak said:
    Funny enough, only Shulamit has figured out the origin of 'Kaalak' and it is a roleplaying reference.

*shrug*
    I didn't think it was that...I'm the only person? :O

My name of Shulamit is easy, it's my hebrew name. Hrrr, I'm not creative sometimes.
    My hebrew name is my SN many other places. They work well - sound all exotic.