Hallimonks

DaraiusDaraius ShevatThe juror's taco spot
So it's no secret any more that some people are talking about monk stuff in Hallifax, even though we don't have any idea if or when we'll hear a breath about actual monk guilds for Halli and Gaudi. So I'm wondering just how much influence can we expect to have on the features of our guild when it becomes a reality.

Will we have any say on the titles, ethos, skills and weapons, guildhall, etc? Or are these things already part of The Plan?

To what extent can these details even be discussed in character? How do you go about developing lore for a guild that doesn't exist? At what point are we going to need admin involvement/approval?

I played the house leadership game for a long time over in Achaea and we were pretty much completely autonomous in setting the values and structure and direction of the house (until they decided to screw us over with new house membership policies). Our patrons were basically there to give us shinies whenever we came up with something cool to add. But I wasn't around at the beginning of the guild, so I don't know how much was established by players and how much was the work of the admin. And Lusternia's a different animal altogether.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

Comments

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Isn't there usually an internal design phase where a few are inducted to do that?
  • There is a fuzzy answer on this now.

What we are hoping for is a combination of previous methods. Admin made have issues with being unusable (chems) or incredibly overpowered (illuminati, institute, old bards).  When we leave it to players who intend to use it.... well original monks comes to mind spewing out like 3 regen affs with a guaranteed kill.  

That said, we have something far more reasonable now, Something Monkish. It is quiet since we have no envoys now but it is still made up of people who use and understand monks. Propose skills and we will look at how they work and fix things.  So the most desirable approach is admin make the skillset, which tells us design intent. Then players, hopefully Monkish as that gives us a big base of people, most of whom we can assume will not join the new guild, will get to look over the skillset and look for flaws.

If the Admin work with us we can reorganize the information to make it easy to figure out.  As an example of what I do when I join a guild, which also helps us make up forms quickly:

I convert those tables into GHELP's in my guild. So if we take a new guild and convert their skills into that we can more readily adjust for things.  This assumes the system does not change with overhaul. I would assume you will not have monks until we have the people (this one I have been proven wrong on) and post overhaul.
  • I'd actually like to dispute that unusable statement about the chem specs. Pyrochemantics specced with Runes is surprisingly powerful (to the point where I'd probably have its damage nerfed a bit if envoys were open), looking at Geochem it could probably output even more damage.

I'm doing about 2.5-3.5k health damage and 2.2k mana damage with double haegl on a 3 second balance, costs 1p to cast.  Throw in 1-2k every 10 seconds from passives and my damage output stacks pretty quickly. 

The Aero/Aqua chem specs have some bloody lovely options as well. It's not something I'd particularly want to fight with 1v1 but I'd definitely say the mage chem specs are decent for straight damage dealing/afflicting in groups.

As for Gaudi/Hallimonks, I'd love to see these released. I really want access to stealth!
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited April 2014
    Chade said:
    I'd actually like to dispute that unusable statement about the chem specs. Pyrochemantics specced with Runes is surprisingly powerful (to the point where I'd probably have its damage nerfed a bit if envoys were open), looking at Geochem it could probably output even more damage.

I'm doing about 2.5-3.5k health damage and 2.2k mana damage with double haegl on a 3 second balance, costs 1p to cast.  Throw in 1-2k every 10 seconds from passives and my damage output stacks pretty quickly. 

The Aero/Aqua chem specs have some bloody lovely options as well. It's not something I'd particularly want to fight with 1v1 but I'd definitely say the mage chem specs are decent for straight damage dealing/afflicting in groups.

As for Gaudi/Hallimonks, I'd love to see these released. I really want access to stealth!
    Yeah, damage against merians is absolutely ridiculous, during that domoth challenge, you took me from 80% health, fully deffed with throne blessing, to dead in one salvo.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • edited April 2014

Kagato said:
    Chade said:
    I'd actually like to dispute that unusable statement about the chem specs. Pyrochemantics specced with Runes is surprisingly powerful (to the point where I'd probably have its damage nerfed a bit if envoys were open), looking at Geochem it could probably output even more damage.

Yeah, damage against merians is absolutely ridiculous, during that domoth challenge, you took me from 80% health, fully deffed with throne blessing, to dead in one salvo.
    Yeah, it was pretty nuts. 

I was min/maxing in the extreme though - level 3 magic damage rune, mage champ artie, hexangle and pentangle, fairly drunk with darkbeer + DMP from other sources put my fire buff at 43%, plus 20 int and level 2 equi bonus from being merian. Gave me a damage output of 175.5%. Scary thing is, I can push all of that even higher if I want too, I didn't have karma blessings.

Anyway, derail over. 

Monks!
  • edited April 2014
    Sorry @Daraius, they were off topic. 

On the monks front, from what I understand we're unlikely to see monks until after the overhaul has been completed. It seems counter productive to put out a minimum of two new skillsets that will need to be balanced around when most of the admins coding time is going into the overhaul. I was being 100% serious when I said I'd love to see them released as I really want access to the stealth skillset as a Gaudimonk but I've pretty much given up on that until after the overhaul.

On the input into guilds side of things, the basic mechanics of the two recent bard specs were already in place before members joined (i.e. drunkenness for Minstrels) and players had some minor RP input in terms of one or two skills (i.e. Tetra/Morshoth's songs). 
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited April 2014
    I have a sinking feeling that the bulk of this has been long-since decided. Not to say it won't change as we wait for this stupid overhaul, but I wouldn't really advise you to hold your breath.
    Daraius said:
    Will we have any say on the titles, ethos, skills and weapons, guildhall, etc?
    To some of those, no, probably not. The Symphonium just kind of...poof, happened! Not saying there weren't volunteers from Hallifax working on things like the guildhall build, it's possible, but the rest was out of our hands. After it opened, however, there was a brief period of time where the Powers That Be were open to minor, -very minor- alterations to the final product, like...well for instance, "Maestro of the Crystal Choir" was initially "Master of the Crystal Choir". Titles of appointment, we were told, could be changed later on with a high cost - that little (logical) fix was free.

Ethos...different. Some guilds start out with a lot, some start out with nothing. The Minstrels are a prime example of having nothing - by design. They're meant to JUST be bards who drink and make noise. The Symphonium likewise has a pretty sterile base: they sing, gems happen, they like the Higher Emotions. Nothing unexpected or extraordinary. You can settle for nothing, or you can build up and branch out in the hopes of it being taken on as canon. Some guilds have a roleplay factor completely pounded out and fed by player input, while others have a nice cushion of pre-existing business to fall back on. It just is what it is, or what you make it.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • I have not seen much used in the way of damage other than high power cost nukes.

Keep in mind your buffs are being capped off in the overhaul, you will likely not get the +43% damage in the future.  Ideally we will get rid of some damages scaling so more health still has a purpose, especially as stats are generally dropping as far as we know.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Some of that's a little troubling. Somehow I thought everything was grounded in lore, but I guess the initial wishy-washiness of the Aeromancers I experienced should have been a clue. 

I guess I'll have to hope whatever volunteer gets the Hallimonk project is as in love with the concept as Elostian was with Hallifax and the Institute. That way we'll at least get something born of passion even if my awesome, perfect ideas never see the light of day. 
    I used to make cakes.

• What I'd tell you from our experience with the Nekotai is that you have all of the tools you need to start building monk lore.

The most important thing is to build a culture of ideas that tie you in to your city. By definition, everything you need to tie to exists right now. All of the things that come later are important, yeah, but they're an island. You need to build a bridge. There's a good chance this will mix weirdly with whatever cards you get handed by the staff, and that's actually a plus. Multiple 'hereditary' sources and complexity will add depth to the guild's lore that takes years to grow if you're starting from a monoculture.

So talk with your friends now, IC and OOC. Speculate. Think about how the things you're pretty certain to have (psychometabolism, tattoos, kata) tie in to Hallifax's agenda, ideals, even the basic city quests This isn't something you're going to be able to sustain at a fever pitch, but kicking ideas around now means more material when it's crunch time.
  • Hallimonks will have bladed fans like katana from mortal kombat.... Squeeee
    I choose @Veyda's reality as the one I want to live in, so now feel free to indulge in rampant speculation.

Annick said:
    Hallimonks will have bladed fans like katana from mortal kombat.... Squeeee
    Gaudimonks can have those. I will be happy with nothing less than chakrams. Partly because chakram means circle means mandala, but also

Like I said, awesome, perfect ideas. ;;)
    I used to make cakes.

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    But if Hallimonks get chakrams, @Xena will be literally compelled to orghop to satisfy her Warrior Princess ways

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Only if their insta causes the victim to be derezzed.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

I am 100% on board with both of those eventualities. 
    I used to make cakes.

• Veyda said:
    What I'd tell you from our experience with the Nekotai is that you have all of the tools you need to start building monk lore.

The most important thing is to build a culture of ideas that tie you in to your city. By definition, everything you need to tie to exists right now. All of the things that come later are important, yeah, but they're an island. You need to build a bridge. There's a good chance this will mix weirdly with whatever cards you get handed by the staff, and that's actually a plus. Multiple 'hereditary' sources and complexity will add depth to the guild's lore that takes years to grow if you're starting from a monoculture.
    Example: The Cantors somehow simultaneously pay homage to all the Tide Lords, all the Supernals, the angels, the Saints, the Good Kelpies, the Voice of Rhapsody, Dionamus, our current Patron, the Light in general, the Star of Celest, other more literal stars, the ocean and all the ghosts of Old Celest. It's very syncretic, but it ends up deep and meaningful instead of the muddled mess it sounds like it should result in.
    Iytha said:
    Veyda said:
    What I'd tell you from our experience with the Nekotai is that you have all of the tools you need to start building monk lore.

Example: The Cantors somehow simultaneously pay homage to all the Tide Lords, all the Supernals, the angels, the Saints, the Good Kelpies, the Voice of Rhapsody, Dionamus, our current Patron, the Light in general, the Star of Celest, other more literal stars, the ocean and all the ghosts of Old Celest. It's very syncretic, but it ends up deep and meaningful instead of the muddled mess it sounds like it should result in.
    THE FLOCK /weep weep weep

Seriously though. It's my sincere hope that every guild can someday have some of the kickass lore that was afforded to the Cantors, even the monk guilds which are - in my opinion - pretty lacking in flavour from conception onward. Hallimonks are shaping up to be the most interesting at all just because of placement, I hope that isn't squandered.

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    The flock quest was so damned awesome. I've seen all the bard quest besides the SS, and the cantor one was my favorite.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

I want them to wield staplers and their instakill should be 'Death by 1000 papercuts.'

PS: Cantors use ALL of that? No wonder most people have no idea what the Cantors are about. That's just too much going on. Should the monk guilds ever be released, keep it simple. Find a focus and hone in on it, and then expand from there. It's easier to expand a simple idea than taking several complicated ones and trying to weave them together. Anchor them to the org with an ideal or principle and unifying belief, and build up from there. If you just smash every imaginable aspect of your org together and try to promote them all, your guild just gets lost in the noise and no one joins because they don't really know what you're about. I've been playing since the Cantors were released and I just know them as the fire bards.

It's great to have a complicated, internal story for the guild, but if outsiders don't understand it the guild isn't going to grow and attract new members. Find a thing, a quantifiable thing with a name, that your guild can anchor itself to. The Supernals, Mother Night, Fire, whatever. It can even be something you make up, like the Dark Heart and the Harbingers. Something that's going to illicit a feeling or idea from people that are reading a blurb about your guild. Then people will identify with it and be drawn to it. When you look at the "new" guilds (bards and monks) the ones that have never really gotten off the ground in the long term are those that never found their anchor.

Celina said:

the ones that have never really gotten off the ground in the long term are those that never found their have a really tragic anchor.

:-<

-

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Celina said:
    the fire bards
    in a watery city
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Daraius said:
    I choose @Veyda's reality as the one I want to live in, so now feel free to indulge in rampant speculation.

Annick said:
    Hallimonks will have bladed fans like katana Kitana from mortal kombat.... Squeeee
    Gaudimonks can have those. I will be happy with nothing less than chakrams. Partly because chakram means circle means mandala, but also

<picture redacted>

Like I said, awesome, perfect ideas. ;;)
    Tessen or bust. Also... the skill obviously needs to be called Deja-Fu.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Maligorn said:
    But if Hallimonks get chakrams, @Xena will be literally compelled to orghop to satisfy her Warrior Princess ways
    Awh yeah!
    -----

Nilofer says, "Xena is here, riding Xena, the Xenaesque Xena. She is wielding Xena in both of her hands."