General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• My meeting overran slightly so I got to Parliament Square just after it happened. I thought the police were just dealing with protesters till they evacuated Westminster tube and I checked the news. Bit freaky.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    It was so close to my home, I didn't even hear until a customer heard my accent on the phone and offered his apologies before explaining. I had to excuse myself from the floor and ended up having a cry in the restroom. So many people I know and knew could have been in that same situation. used to take that bus route. My heart is breaking, especially for the family of that poor officer.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Glad that everyone's okay, hope the same applies for your families and friends. Very sad event today.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• DysDys
    edited March 2017
    People will be edgy for a few weeks then it'll be fine again. Awful for the families of those who died and were injured though.
  • Going over expenses, it has become pretty clear that I am not getting Persona 5 on launch. And I'm already delaying getting Horizon Zero Dawn for the same reason. Okay, I'm allegedly an adult, so I can handle not getting some toys if it means, y'know, eating. But then of course -

Mom: I found a $180 air fryer on sale for $120. We need to get this, it's too good of a deal to pass up!

*sigh* How did -I- become the responsible one?
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Aw. If it makes you feel better, I too will not be getting Persona 5 on launch. <3
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • edited March 2017
    WTF is an air fryer.

Edit: And why do people need one?
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I get phone anxiety, but if you call in for support, it's really quite rude to mumble and be generate inaudible throughout the call. I can't help you if i can't hear you.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • An air fryer is a cooking device that tries to replace a deep fryer with a healthier, less oil intensive process involving convection currents or something. I don't know why anyone would need one, but "because it's on sale" is a pretty poor reason, to me.
  • edited March 2017
    Never change a running system....
    Decided to update my IDE because they said that it'll have a shinier debugger....well....it is shiny but for some reason they removed the default option to display indices in the dataframe view. Why, oh why? Some people actually need them...

Also, the department was not as empty as I thought even though it's Friday night. People might have heard me singing <.<
    (but the acoustics were so good I had to try them...)

I also just heard that there was a bomb threat in my hometown. Luckily, it was just a mentally confused person who shouted stuff about bombs but had none with him.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Akatriel said:
    An air fryer is a cooking device that tries to replace a deep fryer with a healthier, less oil intensive process involving convection currents or something. I don't know why anyone would need one, but "because it's on sale" is a pretty poor reason, to me.

They're pretty great. They fry more quickly and with less oil, so if you do a fair amount of frying and/or worry about the health effects of fried food it's a good thing. I mean "need one" is a stretch, but my best friend bought one for his mom for her birthday and she's been really happy with it. 
  • edited March 2017
    Stuck in bed because I fainted early this morning since blood pressure's been all over the place. But the doc says my iron regimen is working for the anemia, so yay? So, I probably won't be up for all the RPs, but casual chatting, snuggling and such is ok.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • My advisor just told me that he can give me a 2.0 at best and a 1.0 at worst on my thesis since it's basically impossible to get the same research results you might get in six months in just two months. I've been calculating my overall GPA since then and reached the conclusion that people might think that I am dumb. But I don't want to be seen as dumb or stupid. I asked my mum to check the IQ test results I got as a kid when I went to the psychologist. According to them, I am not dumb. But what if my level dropped since then? I fear that people will only see my Master's GPA and think that I am stupid and nobody will hire me.

Sorry for this very stupid rant.
  • Thyelleia said:
    My advisor just told me that he can give me a 2.0 at best and a 1.0 at worst on my thesis since it's basically impossible to get the same research results you might get in six months in just two months.
    Can you take some time out and come back to it? Give it the full six months it needs?

• edited March 2017
    Sadly not, since I already got an additional six months on my study time because I spent some time of my Master not being in a very good state.

Edit: and I spent most of the time I originally had for my thesis working on another programm because it irked me that the results were not as good as I wanted them to be. So I kept fine-tuning my algorithm's rules for far longer than I had time. Stupid perfectionism...
  • Thank you very much for your words!
    I totally understand his grading scheme though. Even I don't like what I've written because it sounds so huddled. My other supervisor once said that "it sounds like fluff...there is something written there but it has no substance"...ever since that day, I have this scene in my head (aka me shaking my thesis):

I'm just angry at myself for not being able to work in a certain timeframe and having a very short attention-span. And I hope that I'll still be able to find a job with a GPA of 2,3.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Enyalida said:
    I was under the impression that... no one gave a flying flip about your gpa once you're out of the academic system, unless they're INTENSELY awful. 
    Can confirm. GPA of 3.8, have asked HR of different companies what they're looking for in a graduate who wants an entry level job after they told me I wouldn't be getting the position. "Experience with our system or the software or programs we use. The more years of it, the better." (Thank you, entry level computer programming positions, for wanting 3-5 years of experience with software.) When I asked about GPA they asked me why anyone would care about that, it's what you know, not how well a group of professors think you did. Also, was suggested to get a Github account to and put coding projects there that I do and to constantly do coding projects as a portfolio.

So I wouldn't sweat the GPA too hard, especially if you can prove you know your stuff.
  • Thank you both for the encouragement :)

Yeah, I heard that it's the same over here. They basically want somebody who is still 20 years old but has like 30 years of work experience.

I hope that I might get lucky somewhere since I am totally fine with moving to different cities or even countries.
  • edited March 2017
    I'll only have an MA though. I was thinking about starting a PhD after that but now that I know how bad I am with deadlines and keeping on track with my work (opposed to 'look at all those shiny papers....let's read all of them!'...well...I have like 70 cited papers now and am not even finished xD) I think, it might be even worse than my MA thesis. And I doubt that any PhD programme would take me with my GPA.
  • GPA only mattered job wise here for co-op positions. I didn't even know my university one.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• IQ only matters to people who like talking about their IQs, and GPA only matters to people who talk about their GPA. 

I don't know about other types of employment, but having been in a competitive corporate environment for 5 years now, my GPA has come up precisely 0 times. The people that I've seen talk about their GPAs are usually laughed at because they are fresh out of college and no one cares. 
    Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    edited March 2017
    Fyler said:
    IQ only matters to people who like talking about their IQs, and GPA only matters to people who talk about their GPA.
    A further note on IQ, @Thyelleia. IQ is, from what I was told, your potential for intelligence. You could use up all that brain space on memorizing every episode of MLP and have no common sense or any knowledge of more complex subjects as a result. Similarly, a person with a lower IQ can choose to intensely study astrophysics or calculus or linguistics and the nuances between two dialects that are less than a mile apart in their range. And you know what? Take that high IQ person with the MLP obsession and pit them for a job against that low IQ person who decided to study very complex subjects instead, and you'll see which one is typically viewed as more intelligent. I mean there's a kid I knew from elementary school who was very low-IQ but that guy loved to study trains like nuts. Never scored higher than maybe a 70 on any test he took in elementary school, unless it was a word problem involving trains somehow. He didn't go to college. But he did get a job with the transportation system as a conductor right out of high school and had a job while I was flailing to find anything. He still has that job. Last I heard, he's making about USD$50,000 a year.