Why are you in your city?

MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
I'm mostly curious, for those who wouldn't mind sharing. Why are you where you are? What choices led you to being there, be they OOC or IC, or I wouldn't mind hearing both!  Some people switch at whim, others have been in the same place forever. So, current (not past) settings, why are you there?! GO!

Comments

• Because I've been in it for ~200 IC years.
  • When I played my first MUD, I really wanted to be a forest warrior, like a ranger from D&D. Their classes didn't provide the right mix of nature and combat, and Lusternia gave me pretty much exactly what I wanted.

• ur'Guard description and a cursory dabble in their lore and RP got me into mag and that guild to begin with. I was there for a very long time and made a bunch of friends. Going out to other orgs, despite wonderful people being there, I always found myself missing my old friends. When I would become bored in those other places I'd always find myself wanting to return. Very few of my old 'crew' are still there these days, even a bunch have moved off to other orgs, but I guess I feel compelled to stick around because of nostalgia.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I looked through the guilds and cities/communes, and very nearly picked a guild in New Celest. But I liked the spiritual aspect of Serenwilde, without the darkness of Glomdoring. I chose a warrior because I assumed they would be simpler than the other classes (HA!). I really liked the feel when I started playing, so never left. It's not the same as it was, but I still can't imagine putting as much effort into a character anywhere else. There's also some pride, in that I really like what I helped turn the Serenguard into, and don't want to leave that behind.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I had a friend from school (I believe he played 'Lowe') who always used to rave about his adventures on Lusternia, and he recommended to our circle of friends to try it. We all did, and he told us to join Serenwilde if we wanted his help. I didn't remember when signing up if he said Serenwilde or Serenguard, so I joined both to be safe. I played around a little, hunted and quested and enjoyed talking to people, then lost interest and stopped playing and my character got pruned. I kept making characters in the same guild and commune any weird moment I was bored and wanted to take a poke at Lusternia, but never got further than maybe a few levels outside of the portal before losing interest ad getting pruned.

Finally, one day I made Rivius some years later and this time around I wanted to try combat, which I heard so many fun stories about but never got into. There were a lot of people, like @Iasmos especially, who were very supportive and got me set up. I also found it easy this time around to make friends, and it was during a time with the Serenguard was bustling with activity, so there were a few novices who could be my peers and rivals. Eventually Rivius somehow got married to his mentor and joined a really great family, who I love and adore. 

Fast forward, after a lot of fun times in Serenwilde, it was time for Rivius to become a big boy, and became one of the more senior people and took on responsibilities and whatnot. And as you can imagine, when you get your feet so deep in the mud, it's not so easy to get out. I felt a such a strong love and paternalistic connection with Serenwilde, especially with all the time and effort I invested in it, that I just couldn't even imagine going anywhere else. Somehow I got nominated twice to be VA, and the second time around, I took it up and the votes ended up in my favour! This was pretty touching to me, because it means that Serenwilde loves me back. So after that, how could you ever leave or think of being anywhere else? I'm where I belong.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    A story is only as good as it's villain.

Not many people can play a good villain, but I can, so I usually go the 'Evil' route.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • I've always loved 'forestal' roleplay, if not so much the tree-hugging hippie side of it that some players go for. I like Serenwilde's concept too, but I ended up in Glomdoring first this time around and got attached to it. The Harbingers are the main reason it's hard to leave, because there are aspects of the philosophy that reminded me of my real-world religious beliefs... although considerably darker and taken somewhat out of context. It makes justifying it interesting.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Probably the Ur'Guard's and taint/necromancy's flavor/RP. It feels right.

It used to be because of the people, but for years I've spoken to non-Magnagorans vastly more often than citizens (on clans, for the most part as well). Being a peacekeeper/babysitter for all the city drama over the years took its toll perhaps.
  • I'm basically the same as Ixion. I love RPing with people from other orgs more than I do Magnagora because I like how radical my character's beliefs are, but how hilariously in-sync they are with a certain perspective on history.
  • After having many characters in many guilds in all the cities across 9+ years, I always come back to either Glomdoring or Serenwilde. Forestal RP has been my thing in every mud I've played, probably because I find the basic concept pretty straightforward and easy, but there are lots of ways to roll with it. This time, I wanted to make a character that was sweet, naive, zealous and pacifistic. I think I missed on one or two there, but establishing her base character and RP was a lot of fun. Even when I moved her to Gaudiguch, the underlying character was there, and it was probably inevitable that she would go back to Serenwilde. She's a tree-hugging fae lover forever.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • Lots of reasons - 

I always play the 'good' side. Not sure why.
    Celest it the best (its true cuz it rhymes).
    Water is my favorite element, and aquamancers were my longest stay in a guild.
    Awesome friends in the city :)
  • Started in Shallam in Achaea and liked the whole goodness and light aspect, but didn't really care for most of the people. Celest was different at the beginning, and now I'm far too invested to try another city. Plus wierd octagons ftw!
  • Entirely because of Marcella...can't say I regret anything though!
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited May 2014
    I had a few short-lived characters in the Celestines and Spiritsingers and Ebonguard while I was still mainly playing Achaea. I mostly knew the Elder Wars lore and stuff and I always thought Hallifax sounded really neat. When I got a newsletter that Hallifax was released I wasn't playing any Lusternian characters actively, and I think it was just about the time Achaea was making sweeping changes to their House system that basically flushed everything I'd done there down the toilet. So I rolled a lobo (because I just can't not play as a dog man in a game that lets you play as a dog man) Aeromancer (because that was the only Halli guild open) and fell in love with the flavor of the place and the players (Shevats especially, but there are too many others to name).

Why am I still playing in Hallifax? I still adore the players and the crystalpunk Collectivist technotopia atmosphere. Plus at this point I don't think Daraius could exist anywhere else without a complete character reboot. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    In short, I go where I'm needed and where I'm able. I could go into the myriad of reasonings prior to Narsrim's departure from the game. A lot were inffluenced by him, a few were influenced by a God roleplaying with me, and a few were just me getting kicked. I suppose I stay in Magnagora because of Arimisia currently, not to mention that I'm a fiercely loyal player. I have no attachment to Magnagora outside of just being loyal to it for being there.  However, I feel I must note that I've been told since year 1 that the way I act has always been 'true magnagoran' prior to joining Mag, so I guess it was bound that I ended up there.
  • The Precepts of Shakiniel:
    I. All attempts to harm in any way a Citizen of Celest, a Denizen residing within the Nation, or a visitor protected by the compassion of Raziela, is a crime. All attacks that cannot be performed under Divine Grace or the Grace of Innocence as well as any illusions or other actions of artifice will be considered an act of aggression if specifically intended to do harm. Rats which plague the City are in no way protected and should be slain without prejudice.
    Celest has a law on the books saying that they'll enemy people who attack non-enemied visitors inside Celest, regardless of if that visitor is an enemy of the attacker. This is amazingly useful when you're a rogue being hunted down by Mysrai worshipers. It also helps that Hallifax decided to make "indentured servitude" to an unspecified member of the Scientific Caste a condition for citizenship.
  • I tried to move once, as they say the grass is greener on the other side.. until you get there. Serenwilde ended up leaving the worse taste in the mouth ever and my character despises them mainly for a few people more than the whole of them. Magnagora is just what I know lore wise like the back of my hand I really do not have to second guess myself too much about what I know. Right now, Mag is primarily where my family is. Not all my friends are in Mag, I'll talk and BS with just about anyone that's friendly enough.  :-??
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I exhausted all other options that would suit my character, and I'm too lazy to leave.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Daraius said:
    ... Achaea was making sweeping changes to their House system that basically flushed everything I'd done there down the toilet...
    What is this referencing? I'm trying to think of major things that went down in Achaea about when big changes happened in the Achaea house system and I'm drawing a blank.
    The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye, screaming in torment:
    "THE DEMON LORDS CAN NEVER TRULY BE KILLED - GREAT IS THEIR POWER."

You shock a platinum-coloured geomycus with tales of terror bestowed on villages who don't follow Magnagora.
    A platinum-coloured geomycus slaps her knee and declares that, by the gods, Ptoma Hive should follow the Grand Empire of Magnagora after all!
    Shouts rise up from Ptoma Hive, as its denizens loudly pledge themselves to the Grand Empire of Magnagora.

• Because Hallifax at large seems to have this weird dislike for necromancy, and the BIMS was a better Institute than the ISHITK is anyway.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    I'll pretend I understood that last bit...
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Lillie said:
    Daraius said:
    ... Achaea was making sweeping changes to their House system that basically flushed everything I'd done there down the toilet...
    What is this referencing? I'm trying to think of major things that went down in Achaea about when big changes happened in the Achaea house system and I'm drawing a blank.
    They put in a rule where houses could only accept classes that no other house in the city accepted. The idea was that it would help houses focus their identities in the wake of autoclass, because some had become a kind of grab bag with no real direction. It was "great" for the houses that sucked because they couldn't establish an identity for themselves. Terrible for the houses whose identities were independent of their classes. Apparently it didn't work as planned, because they're now upturning the whole thing and making all cities have up to three houses, each of which can accept any class. Existing houses have to merge or be destroyed. But this is way off topic and I try not to get worked up about these games anymore. :)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.