What Makes A Good Roleplayer?

Comments

• I personally like it when I see a character with quirks, but quirks that make sense. Being a neat freak, obsessing over their hair... just the little things that actual people have but that a lot of fantasy characters don' t seem to. I'm also a pretty large fan of people whose concept fits within or stretches lore a bit, but that don't go overboard. An example from another game was someone who used the Force to phase through solid matter. While the guy was an awesome RPer, the fact that his character was playing outside what I knew of the lore really threw me.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    edited July 2014
    I just have to add something that does not make a good RPer. Terrible accents, they aren't interesting quirks, they're just annoying. Different ways of talking is fine, but for instance I remember somebody that just dropped every h in every word. Over the top accents are not good rp! That can be extended to more than just accents, don't go too far over the top.

Edit: Not anybody current that I can think of with an over the top annoying accent. More thinking of some old no longer played characters that made my eyes bleed whenever their characters talked.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    Another thing, similar to accents: quirks are awesome, but do not feel you have to constantly remind people of them. If your character's thing is chewing on their hair, don't make them do it every single time they speak/move/anything. People have memories! Even if it's someone you haven't roleplayed with before, it's okay. They'll get the picture.

(One of the many reasons that robot!Tacita went away is that I struggled hideously with repressing my desire to constantly remind people that she had no expression, which I did to the point that I annoyed myself with how often I mentioned it).
  • @Isune has the best advice... making changes, though, sometimes it's hard to come up with justifications for why your character would do X, or how to go about making it happen. On the one hand, you should play however you want, but I do believe good roleplayers should have a reason why they did X. It doesn't have to be logical or even consistent, necessarily, but it should be something understandable... Otherwise... well, as a bad personal example, I once had a character that switched to an enemy guild completely out of the blue, with no particular reason behind it. Which was fine up until some of the friends my character "abandoned" wanted to know why, and "I was bored" was a frustrating reason to try and justify(for me and them). I just think it would have been easier if I'd given it more thought beforehand!

I also think it's best(and often more fun) to roleplay character-feelings that I have myself, to the extent that I can(I haven't quite come around on the baby-sacrificing yet). We are interpreting the world through our character's eyes, but also through our own, so there are bound to be some similarities between them. I.E., if I'm not happy about a particular situation, chances are pretty good Kethaera isn't either. ...Of course, sometimes that leads to getting hurt OOCLY because of a bad IC reaction, but at least it's possible to keep the hurt feelings IC rather than confronting someone about it elsewhere. Because it is, after all, just a game. 
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    I require an upgrade to the forums that permits me to like a post more than once.
  • Lisaera said:
    We can't all be perfect like @Isune (just kidding - girl has just as much - if not more - crazy baggage, which makes talking to her so fun). 

On topic though: +1 to @Lisaera's post.

Gods are especially encouraged to have big, glaring flaws because the temptation towards perfection narrows your avenues of RP. How boring would it be to play (or serve) a God who is always correct, and always winning, and loved by everyone, and is always aware of when They are being unreasonable? Gods are all-powerful, but they're not all perfect. (In fact, no one criticizes the Divine more than, well... the other Divine. It is basically Gossip Goddess up here in the Havens, all day, every day.)
  • Daraius said:
    I like playing a character with no flaws whatsoever. O:-)
    I think they made a song about that.
    >:)
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • edited July 2014
    Turnus said:
    I just have to add something that does not make a good RPer. Terrible accents, they aren't interesting quirks, they're just annoying. Different ways of talking is fine, but for instance I remember somebody that just dropped every h in every word. Over the top accents are not good rp! That can be extended to more than just accents, don't go too far over the top.

Edit: Not anybody current that I can think of with an over the top annoying accent. More thinking of some old no longer played characters that made my eyes bleed whenever their characters talked.
    Right, think accents are awful... >,>

EDIT: Thick accents are bad too. And you might want to avoid Bandeon. A poor decision ten years ago has led to the accent he has now.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    I didn't actually realize your character HAD an accent when I posted right afterwards.  Haha, foot meet mouth.

Point was mostly quirks/accents/whatever are cool, but there's such a thing as too much. Also random quirks/accents without any depth don't really add much of anything.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Lisaera said:
     (have any of you ever tried mentioning Fain with Lisaera listening in?)
    Not yet ;)
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited July 2014
    {In response to Aramel}

Not really. Llewell is a Seren, and would gladly team up with Glomdoring to eradicate the cities (Especially Gaudiguch). "Greater good" can be seen in so many ways, like a paladin who crusades to kill all the viscanti children he can find so they won't grow up to kill celestians, or a Researcher who experiments on furrikin in hopes of making them more resilient "for their own good".
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Isune said:
    Gods are especially encouraged to have big, glaring flaws because the temptation towards perfection narrows your avenues of RP. How boring would it be to play (or serve) a God who is always correct, and always winning, and loved by everyone, and is always aware of when They are being unreasonable? 
    To be fair, a God who was always right and always winning wouldn't be loved by everyone. I'd say they're likely going to get hated by the majority out of sheer scorn and malice.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I have not always been considered the best roleplayer but my character is very separate from me now. She is far more outgoing and snarky than I am - the best suggestion for those who have trouble separating themselves is to roleplay as someone opposite to yourself I've found.

As far as good roleplay you really have to approach it with an open mind - RP is incredibly diverse and can end so many ways.
  • I love this entire thread.

My advice in addition to most of what has been said is to try and be creative, especially with things you've not been told about or shown yet. Creativity is one reason why I love RP so much.

As an example, it's not secret Haezon loves the stage and wants to have stage-babies with it, but when behind the stage with someone, they can't see you make illusions and such, so it is just you standing there, and them standing there.

To combat this, I came up with my interpretation of how the stage works, vis a vis, levers. Lots and lots of levers, some buttons and maybe a pressure pad. Pull this lever, YELLOW. Pull this lever, SHOUTING. Press that button, AWESOME. Pull both levers? TELLS. Even letting them see you creating some illusions can help things along by placing them in emotes.

@Dramshanks had an interpretation too where he sees it as using mirrors to create illusions, props and blah, so he probably emotes that.

If you find yourself doing something that is hard to role-play with, improvise and be creative to add more.

(It's been mentioned before, but when disciplining someone or telling them off, it is possible to make it fun for the other person too. If you just say 'You did wrong, disfavour' then it's over in a minute. If you converse, discuss, explain and ask for input, both of you have fun. I know I prefer being told why Haezon screwed up rather than just being told 'you're an idiot.'

In the end, a good role-player has to be able to enjoy themselves and be engaging.
    Retired.
  • another no-no: excessive use of preset emotes. Usually comes across as "invading personal space"
    is dead like the dodo
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    edited July 2014
    A good roleplayer needs a pixie army.

@Aramel, come to Glom. We can have all the petty fights in the world.
    Aramel said:
    I've always found it easier to roleplay "evil" characters because they're so interesting - evil characters can have plots of their own, petty vengeances, snide rivalries, dark ambitions. "Good" characters are limited by having to work for the greater good. I once played a Mag alt and was astonished at how much easier it was to basically breathe RP.

Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Being a goodie-character is just as fun to roleplay as an evil-character. Just don't buy into all the talk about liberty and rights and everyone having a say that good-oriented organizations try to espouse. I, personally, enjoy trying to play at being a small-minded, ignorant, Light-fearing citizen who doesn't know anything about outside influences or forces because the status quo enjoys enforcing the "Light = Good, Taint = Bad: that's all you ever need to know" mentality.
  • I've always found good characters far more fun to play than evil ones. It makes zealotry easy to justify, it's fun playing self-righteous or close-minded bigots, and it leads to more conflicts of intent and morality. Evil characters need more of a motivation to care. I only play Kethaera cause she believes she is on the good side.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • edited July 2014
    I think there are more sides to good character roleplay than simply this self-righteousness and zealotry. If you are archetypically "Good" then there is room for interesting moral conundrums. I think this is precisely why Nott is so fun for me to play: she is generally a nice person, she doesn't fit the bill for a wyrden "I have no mercy" mentality. But I think when your character is in an environment like Glomdoring, you get the chance to see how your "good"-ness either changes or you figure out how the Wyrd adapts for you. 
    I'm curious when people say good character, are they talking about their actions and deeds fall into a stereotypical "good" alignment? Or that they're absolute bastards but think they're actually doing the right thing?

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Absolute bastards who really believe that what they're doing *is* the stereotypical good thing to do, of course.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    One of the things I love most about roleplay is the unknown. Some people like to map out their storylines in advance and coordinate with other people before they play it all out, but I personally love the uncertainty that comes with interacting with people who don't know what I want for my character. It forces me to adapt and think on the fly, and really get into Lavinya's head and ask myself 'how is she going to react to that spanner in the works???'. I find it really fun. I don't think I've ever written a full sermon or ritual - I will have a rough idea in my head or a beginning, then I just let it flow from there.

So I think part of being a good roleplayer is having a blend of both - the ability to plan ahead and have goals and direction for your character but also being flexible enough to adapt and adjust to unplanned eventualities and let them also build your character.

I also have to agree with some others that have mentioned it - some of the most amazing roleplay I've ever been involved in has been so incredibly gut-wrenching and upsetting for my character. You have to really remember it's just a character you're torturing, but it can be so intense and satisfying and goooood. I try to think of it like a book, if everything was happy and nothing ever went wrong, or there were never mistakes or sad times or tough decisions or tragedies it would probably be a really boring read. Mildly entertaining, but overall boring. I do think you should have fun with whatever you do (It's a game!), but being prepared to throw your character under a proverbial bus sometimes can be really, really fun (and can make for a really rich, deep character).

• The Light is good. Why is it good? I don't know. It just is. ^_^

Admittedly, the Supernals are aspects of very positive traits, so that also helps.
    Really? Half of them seem to come across as xenophobic genocidal nutjobs, which does reflect itself in a considerable portion of the organisation's playerbase. The thing with every org is there's good and evil in all of them (yes even Mag/Celest) it's all entirely dependant on point of view, and where your personal IRL opinions skew perception.

Ultimately there is no good org, the Light isn't the same Light you'd see in other RPG settings which is designed as a force for unquestionable good. There's more of a moral ambiguity in Lusternia, which makes it acceptable to play a character alignment without really being wrong* to the organisation's themes and ideals. Playing an evil character who is going to be hated can be fun, so long as people remember the seperation between character and player. I take pride in Karlach being a bastard, for example, it's a character doing what he believes is the way to get results in a "the end justifies the means" way.

On the same approach being good can also become reviled, because too often in games I've seen people play "good" characters that have the snobbery of "I'm good, so I'm better than you." If you were good, you would be humble and not be an egotistic boasting ass ;)

*Granted it's tricky to be chaotic evil in Celest or lawful good in Magnagora, but not impossible!

• Karlach said:
    Really? Half of them seem to come across as xenophobic genocidal nutjobs, which does reflect itself in a considerable portion of the organisation's playerbase. The thing with every org is there's good and evil in all of them (yes even Mag/Celest) it's all entirely dependant on point of view, and where your personal IRL opinions skew perception.

Ultimately there is no good org, the Light isn't the same Light you'd see in other RPG settings which is designed as a force for unquestionable good. There's more of a moral ambiguity in Lusternia, which makes it acceptable to play a character alignment without really being wrong* to the organisation's themes and ideals. Playing an evil character who is going to be hated can be fun, so long as people remember the seperation between character and player. I take pride in Karlach being a bastard, for example, it's a character doing what he believes is the way to get results in a "the end justifies the means" way.

On the same approach being good can also become reviled, because too often in games I've seen people play "good" characters that have the snobbery of "I'm good, so I'm better than you." If you were good, you would be humble and not be an egotistic boasting ass ;)

*Granted it's tricky to be chaotic evil in Celest or lawful good in Magnagora, but not impossible!
    Admittedly, all of this right here is why I enjoy Lusternia these days. It's a lot more complicated than good vs evil. I tend to think of other games I've played where the lines were more clear, or the "evil" rp was SO evil it was hard to justify. In such cases, it's easier to play zealous good characters because they really are fighting for a good cause, even if occasionally their methods are questionable(which keeps it from getting boring).

But I agree with you that there isn't a good and evil organization. I think whoever it was that came up with Lusternia's concept did a fairly good job giving each org something to fight for, rather than against. Mostly. Ambiguous characters tend to be more interesting.