Population Spread Issues

Comments

• Yep. Like you say something specific in a certain room and then there are corresponding emotes or room effects and stuff. So when you have a scripted ritual that you do there there are all kinds of bells and whistles going of to accompany it.

It's something you buy from your patron and have to work with them.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I want. Wonder how much they cost.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Paladins have something like that for Knighting ceremonies.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • A f-ing lot, but it varies, depending on the size of the project, and if you want/need rooms/items to go with it. In the order of millions. Worth it though.

As long as you use them. MDs have one I think I've seen in action once.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    Can I just get a mirror in my office that responds to "Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the darkest of them all?"
    And then it'll say "who said that?"
  • I want one where Jagrerox says I've got 99 problems but Celest ain't one, then he does a mic drop and walks out the room.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Ebonguard have lovely little symbols strewn around the guildhall that react when touched, and an illusion bowl that can be programmed to do custom-crafted illusions on demand (only up to three, though).
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Nihilists have an awesome ritual for achieving GR3, and a quest to help Baalphegar and one for Nifilhema.

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Buyer beware on all that. Just because you designed one thing, doesn't necessarily mean that's what you'll get - which is part of Everiine's complaint.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Xenthos said:
    Ebonguard have lovely little symbols strewn around the guildhall that react when touched, and an illusion bowl that can be programmed to do custom-crafted illusions on demand (only up to three, though).
    We do?

Why did no one tell me this!

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Morkarion said:
    Xenthos said:
    We do?

Why did no one tell me this!
    Why do you think I was busting at the gut last night to get everyone together while we had so many people?

:P
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited May 2013
    Xenthos said:
    Really?  I'd happily take a guild quest, even if it wasn't what was 'originally intended'- just need to change your perceptions of what it was supposed to be and mesh it in with what it actually turned out to be.

I've long been envious of the Harbingers and their Voice quest.
    The Harbinger voice quest is great! It's pretty easy to do, and has a really awesome flashback scene!

EDIT: Point being that the magnolia lock quest is nothing at all like the Harbinger's quest. It's only a 'Serenguard' quest at all because the mob that does it is in the Serenguard GH. I don't think it involves any sort of lore flashback, like any of the voice quests (or the Sundial quest... is that a voice quest?) !
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Turnus said:
    Buyer beware on all that. Just because you designed one thing, doesn't necessarily mean that's what you'll get - which is part of Everiine's complaint.
    Not just that the design is different--the mechanics are terrible. What was supposed to be a short, fun, use-when-needed ritual was turned into an hour-long, essence-grinding, find-this-random-object-and-give-it-to-this-random-person oh-by-the-way-here's-another-random-object-to-find, REQUIRED quest that in no way resembles the original design. If the quest had the same purpose as it does now but cut out all of the unnecessary steps, it would be much better:

Good things:
    -Get many (you never know how many you'll need) Item 1s, use them to get 2 Item 2s (if it happens--many times, you can't get two Item 2s)
    -Deliver 2 Item 2s, get Item 3 which is Important Item A

Bad Things
    -Getting 5 Item 4s, get Item 5
    -Delivering Item 5, get Item 6
    -Delivering Item 6, get Item 7
    -Delivering Item 7, get Item 8
    -Delivering Item 8, having to grind 20 essence (if it's available--the choices for a lowbie are slim)
    -Delivering essence, get Item 9
    -Collect Item 10
    -Delivering Item 10, then find Items 11, 12, and 13 (which sometimes requires Items 11b and 12b, and sometimes, not all of them are available. A quest in that area also interferes with the collection and use of these items, meaning that if the other quest is in a certain spot, and you try to use these items, you will have wasted them and have to wait an hour for them to respawn)
    -Delivering Items 11, 12, and 13, get Item 14
    -Using Item 14, get Item 15
    -Deliver Item 15, which is Important Item B

Good things:
    -Bring Important Items A and B together to make Important Item C
    -Bring Important Item C to place it is used, finish quest.

The beginning and the end of the quest are good pieces with good lore. The giant middle section is what takes an hour. It's pointless filler with no lore connection and no purpose other than to make the quest harder and boring. That's what I most complain about. Basically, the whole thing was butchered.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    edited May 2013
    Enyalida said:
    The Harbinger voice quest is great! It's pretty easy to do, and has a really awesome flashback scene!

EDIT: Point being that the magnolia lock quest is nothing at all like the Harbinger's quest. It's only a 'Serenguard' quest at all because the mob that does it is in the Serenguard GH. I don't think it involves any sort of lore flashback, like any of the voice quests (or the Sundial quest... is that a voice quest?) !
    The EG symbols don't do anything at all except chatter at you.  We paid through the nose for them anyways (and didn't get them exactly as ordered either).  I just love little additional perks and enhancements like these even so.  They add more uniqueness / distinctiveness to the guilds, and warrior guilds especially can use that help.
    Everiine said:
    The beginning and the end of the quest are good pieces with good lore. The giant middle section is what takes an hour. It's pointless filler with no lore connection and no purpose other than to make the quest harder and boring. That's what I most complain about. Basically, the whole thing was butchered.
    Did you ever write support / Estarra an email on this subject?  There were some major headaches involved with the nai'Dorin when it went in, but working with them over the course of a week and a half or so we got them pretty much all smoothed out.

It requires someone being interested and wanting to throw in, but I'd think she'd at least consider it.  It doesn't seem like cutting a few steps out of the quest would be too big a deal resource-wise.
    Some good, interesting things the Serenguard have bought/changed include the change to HELP SERENGUARD to actually have some information about the guild, the TRIBALSALUTE emote, a new room in the Lodge with a second forge, the change of the GM artifact from the Flowering Rod to the Living Rod of Hart and Moon, the change of the guild honour from the Order of the Green Man to the Mark of Nintoba, and a few things that came about during events that still remain.

But the ritual was mishandled on so many different levels that when it finally came, it was shockingly disappointing and we felt burned.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

When it came out, there were a few things smoothed out as is, involving how often the quest must be done - and the quest was made easier. It was taking longer and needed to be done much more often when it first came out, iirc.

Everiine said:
    Some good, interesting things the Serenguard have bought/changed include the change to HELP SERENGUARD to actually have some information about the guild, the TRIBALSALUTE emote, a new room in the Lodge with a second forge, the change of the GM artifact from the Flowering Rod to the Living Rod of Hart and Moon, the change of the guild honour from the Order of the Green Man to the Mark of Nintoba, and a few things that came about during events that still remain.

But the ritual was mishandled on so many different levels that when it finally came, it was shockingly disappointing and we felt burned.
    Really, instead of forum-ing it, I'd start off with a polite email to Estarra.  Explain your frustrations with the tediousness of it, and that the tedious steps don't actually add any part to the quest.

As one of the players who pesters Estarra on a regular basis, I can say that she is usually pretty good about such things.  Sometimes she disagrees (and we just agree to disagree, since her decision is obviously final), but if you make a valid case for something she'll look into it.  And at the very least you'll get some closure on it either way, instead of it bubbling away in a covered pot.
    Enyalida said:
    When it came out, there were a few things smoothed out as is, involving how often the quest must be done - and the quest was made easier. It was taking longer and needed to be done much more often when it first came out, iirc.
    Wow...

@Xenthos, I think I tried to write a few emails, but kept getting frustrated and never finishing them. I should try again.

• So, out of curiousity, what happens if you don't do the Magnolia Lock quest?
    Iytha said:
    So, out of curiousity, what happens if you don't do the Magnolia Lock quest?
    If the lock breaks Bad Things(TM) happen.

Now I want to know what happens when it gets broken...
    I assume the same things that happened before the Lock was put in place would happen again, but to my knowledge, I've never seen the Lock break, so I can't be sure (but it's been close a few times).

• edited May 2013
    Any advice about what is a polite length of time to wait for said patron before moving on to support? Sometimes those replies just don't seem to happen.

EDIT: Please don't grief the Serenguard out of their quest, Xenthos. :(

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    edited May 2013
     Let's just say, it's really annoying and potentially dangerous to novices. I'm actually suprised you guys haven't heard of it yet. The first thing I thought when it was indicated it was an ongoing thing and not just an event was: "Oh no, now them raiding our prime territory (practically unstoppable) will have real downsides." 

EDIT: It effects all of Serenwilde, not just a Serenguard thing.
    Enyalida said:
     Let's just say, it's really annoying and potentially dangerous to novices. I'm actually suprised you guys haven't heard of it yet. The first thing I thought when it was indicated it was an ongoing thing and not just an event was: "Oh no, now them raiding our prime territory (practically unstoppable) will have real downsides." 

To the grief-machine!

But no, I don't really see a good reason to prime-grief.  Even if I do really want to see what happens when the lock breaks, curiosity is not a justification.
    edited May 2013
    Enyalida said:

EDIT: It effects all of Serenwilde, not just a Serenguard thing.
    Doesn't this kind of... stand for the entire reason for the Serenguard's existence?  To stand at the lip of the abyss and hold Doom at bay?

I'm not sure how often it has to be repeated, but it does seem like it could be a pretty awesome tool if played up right and not just left to the same few people to repeatedly follow up on.

Edit: And yes, I am considering Grutina and the rogue-Hartstones to be a "Doom" for the purpose of this conversation!
  • Riluna said:
    Any advice about what is a polite length of time to wait for said patron before moving on to support? Sometimes those replies just don't seem to happen.

Some of us are more busy than others. I try to respond quickly, but I typically work 50-80 hours a week, and often forget shortly after I see a message that it exists, if I don't deal with it immediately (which isn't always possible...I do routine admin stuff from work a lot). I'm happy to have guilds or players 'pester' me if I forget, and expect them to. If its been more than a few days to a week, I've probably forgotten. 

Everyone's schedule is different, but a polite reminder is good (I appreciate it greatly), and if its been more than a week without an answer and you've tried more than once and feel like you're not going to get a resolution to your problem in character, then its probably ok to explain your problem to support. That said, we do expect the primary avenue for these sorts of discussions to be through your patron, and I'm not encouraging people to bypass patrons by going to support. In fact, if the only problem is that your patron is dormant, then you will likely just be asked to choose a new patron that is active to work with.