Amended Combat Overhaul!

Comments

• Saesh said:
    It's exceedingly rare.

The broader issue is when a regular pipe goes out (artie pipes do not go out) while the target is afflicted by aeon, adding an additional step to curing. 

Mm, I wouldnt say exceedingly rare, more that it is situational. If for example Magnagora or Celest wished to win a coming sea battle, as was recently seen with my own victory and achievement of my Iron Key, then there will be several to daily battles underwater. I personally had to (I use the word 'had' as I cannot really buy credits that easily) gather what credits I could to buy a myrtle artie-pipe just to deal with hemiphlegy underwater.
  • Alright. Exceedingly situational. That situation just happens to be rare.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Obviously, the answer is to remove the asinine code that makes pipes not able to be lit underwater.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    Obviously, the answer is to remove the asinine code that makes pipes not able to be lit underwater.
    Unless pipes are written as such the only 'fix' is really to have an artifact rune. Considering legacy code, I wouldn't be surprised at this being the case.

Also, since I'm a filthy casual combatant, I somehow got it in my mind that aqua demesnes can put you underwater and that this is why you wanted arti pipes. Is there any truth to this or did my mind just really make that up? I don't think I've actually ever seen the inside of an aqua demesne, or at least not while realizing it being so. Like I said, filthy casual :P
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • If you fall in a pit in a flooded room...
  • edited January 2015
    Shaddus said:
    Obviously. I'll..uh...look into that...
    Rialorm said:
    Shaddus said:
    Unless pipes are written as such the only 'fix' is really to have an artifact rune. Considering legacy code, I wouldn't be surprised at this being the case.

Also, since I'm a filthy casual combatant, I somehow got it in my mind that aqua demesnes can put you underwater and that this is why you wanted arti pipes. Is there any truth to this or did my mind just really make that up? I don't think I've actually ever seen the inside of an aqua demesne, or at least not while realizing it being so. Like I said, filthy casual :P
    Aquamancers have no way to pull you under water. Incidentally, you don't go under water by choice because you will take extra damage from stillwater. 
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    That reminds me, need to check on a bug of mine.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Why do you need to check on a bug? We have an overhaul, bugs are 99% ignored? ARE YOU THAT SPECIAL NEOS?
  • This might be a bit of a long-shot for a request, but would it be possible to get a list of all balances, their lengths, and the lines for losing/regaining them?
  • Malarious said:
    Why do you need to check on a bug? We have an overhaul, bugs are 99% ignored? ARE YOU THAT SPECIAL NEOS?
    I recently had some bugs fixed. Granted, they were quest bugs. Maybe those are the 1%.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I knew that those preserve kills were a bug.
  • Ssaliss said:
    This might be a bit of a long-shot for a request, but would it be possible to get a list of all balances, their lengths, and the lines for losing/regaining them?
    I should be able to do this for the overhauled balances, but stuff like regular herb balance wouldn't be included.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Mental Afflictions:
    addiction       confusion       hallucinations  recklessness    stupidity
    clumsiness      epilepsy        paranoia        sensitivity

Spiritual Afflictions:
    achromaticaura  disloyalty      healthleech     manabarbs       powerspikes
    aeon            egovice         luminosity      pacifism

Use AFFS INFO <affliction> for details on a specific afflictions.

Can't remember if dust is an internal cure or external cure, but either way, they're not listed in AFFS LIST. Also, is the list of internal affs finalised yet, so we can know which ones will be converted/removed?
  • Fixed, no.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Saesh said:
    It's exceedingly rare.

The broader issue is when a regular pipe goes out (artie pipes do not go out) while the target is afflicted by aeon, adding an additional step to curing. 
    Happens a fair bit if you're in Celest or Mag. Most of the inner sea and sea of despair are underwater.
    edited January 2015
    And do you actually fight people underwater, anywhere but that one room during that one quest, which is probably pretty easy to sidestep (the fight) using avenger? Paint me skept. Melders can't even meld underwater!
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    There is a fair amount of conflict that happens for several of the epic cycle quests (killing people to get their cords for the gorgogs, for one, hunting dolphins/kelpies/turtles etc etc.) It is more than just a  one room scuffle to keep Ladantine alive, though not ridiculously wide spread. But anyone finding resistance for the quests is likely to be fighting under water.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Is the plan still to replace bedevil with aeon?  As is, if you fight a healer you'll spend a lot of time flipping from pacifism to recklessness until you leave the healer's room and focus spirit.
  • edited January 2015
    Can't you focus off the affs inside bedevil and have them not come back? 
    I thought that you could cure Bedevil by eating horehound after leaving the healer's presence. That's just as bad as octave as far as getting rid of it goes, more or less, I think.

-- 
    I actually have no idea how bedevil works. I just throw it out there and hope something sticks.
    EDIT: I am really bad at wording things. I blame the way I was brought up to speak.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    1) You can focus off the affs from bedevil for now, but when focus is removed it'll be an issue, so best to address it before then.

2) You can eat horehound to cure it now, but that's a recent fix (as in a few days ago). It wasn't curing it before.

3) They replaced (or are replacing?) pacifism with healthleech, which should remove the shutdown effect of pacifism/recklessness. It's a good change because the pacifism/recklessness cycle hinders too much. 

4) Bedevil will probably be adjusted (I'd imagine) because limiting it down to 4 cure types reduces it's worth if the afflictions aren't so good, like healthleech, or it makes it too powerful if they are good, like pacifism. It only makes sense that'll it'll be reworked through the envoy process.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Enyalida said:
    And do you actually fight people underwater, anywhere but that one room during that one quest, which is probably pretty easy to sidestep (the fight) using avenger? Paint me skept. Melders can't even meld underwater!
    Like other things it comes in waves (pun intended). Along with what Lavi said, killing Ladantine in both spots is underwater, killing the princess is underwater, gathering items to raise the princess is underwater, gathering items to drop the princess is underwater, and caroo is underwater.

Killing Lanikai enemies you to the Inner Sea and killing Ladantine gives you status. So often if you're on one side or the other you'll have status.

In cases where Avechna protects that's only after the death. While technically Avechna is as effective there as anywhere else, the nature of the conflict tends to get people to declare a bit more on average.

I'm not trying to overplay this. It isn't at all an everyday thing. But every couple or few RL months people get a bit bent out of shape over the quests and a little hell breaks lose. From the Celest view (and from that view it didn't appear it would be much different to the other side) people are killing warriors, flipping caroo, flipping the cay (which isn't underwater but effects the sea, killing Lanikai back to back, raiding from the harbour, jumping people catching squids, or killing sea turtles.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    edited January 2015

Re: DysbaricPressure

Once upon a time, Chain Lighting's damage used to scale directly with the number of bounces/victims hit and for a time, it was used to overwhelm people in groups. If I recall correctly, people considered/called it the second coming of Thunder Clap((The old Titan/Demi power). There was an outcry involving torches and pitchforks which prompted a change to the damage cap. Its use then dwindled. Aeromancer sentiment towards the skill grew worse, which prompted another change. Chain Lightning was removed and Dysbaric Pressure was crteated. End of story.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Siam said:

Once upon a time, Chain Lighting's damage used to scale directly with the number of bounces/victims hit and for a time, it was used to overwhelm people in groups. If I recall correctly, people considered/called it the second coming of Thunder Clap((The old Titan/Demi power). There was an outcry involving torches and pitchforks which prompted a change to the damage cap. Its use then dwindled. Aeromancer sentiment towards the skill grew worse, which prompted another change. Chain Lightning was removed and Dysbaric Pressure was removed. End of story.
    Dysbaric Pressure was removed? What? Since when? If you're talking about it being limited to meld holder, then the axe should've hit every other druid/mage org's instakill in the process, not just one (Which is why it was made to work on cloudy terrain, no matter meld owner) You can cast thornlashes/rend on forest. You can cast incinerate/cremate on burning. You can cast chasm on tainted. You can cast preserve on whatever. I'm not that familiar with aquas.

As to the skill itself and the way it works right now? It's doable, actually (with a lot of illusion spamming)... we tested it a bit, but it also has a pretty simple counter to it... but then again, so do a lot of other kill methods. Does it need to be changed? Sure. Will there be an opposition to it no matter what gets envoyed to convert dysbaric into a more viable kill method? Of course. Why would there be such an opposition? I draw a blank. I love the comments to the extent of: "OMG, just because another organization in the same archetype has a kill method doesn't mean you need to have one either." but in the end they're counter-productive. I can come up with a lot of remarks of that type by that logic, too.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    I chuckle at mentions of thornlash.
    Enyalida said:
    I chuckle at mentions of thornlash.
    I don't. I'd take druidry combat over any other meld in a heartbeat if I could. At least that was the case back in the day. As to druid kill team? I remember right after I orghopped to Glom, we had a pretty good group kill going with Vadi and Svorai, without even bothering with sap. So yes, chuckle away at thornlash all you like.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I meant created, silly. Chill. It is fixed now.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• edited January 2015

Elanorwen said:
    Siam said:

Once upon a time, Chain Lighting's damage used to scale directly with the number of bounces/victims hit and for a time, it was used to overwhelm people in groups. If I recall correctly, people considered/called it the second coming of Thunder Clap((The old Titan/Demi power). There was an outcry involving torches and pitchforks which prompted a change to the damage cap. Its use then dwindled. Aeromancer sentiment towards the skill grew worse, which prompted another change. Chain Lightning was removed and Dysbaric Pressure was removed. End of story.
    Dysbaric Pressure was removed? What? Since when? If you're talking about it being limited to meld holder, then the axe should've hit every other druid/mage org's instakill in the process, not just one (Which is why it was made to work on cloudy terrain, no matter meld owner) You can cast thornlashes/rend on forest. You can cast incinerate/cremate on burning. You can cast chasm on tainted. You can cast preserve on whatever. I'm not that familiar with aquas.

As to the skill itself and the way it works right now? It's doable, actually (with a lot of illusion spamming)... we tested it a bit, but it also has a pretty simple counter to it... but then again, so do a lot of other kill methods. Does it need to be changed? Sure. Will there be an opposition to it no matter what gets envoyed to convert dysbaric into a more viable kill method? Of course. Why would there be such an opposition? I draw a blank. I love the comments to the extent of: "OMG, just because another organization in the same archetype has a kill method doesn't mean you need to have one either." but in the end they're counter-productive. I can come up with a lot of remarks of that type by that logic, too.
    The reality is we don't, and in most normal situations you don't either, attempt to balance across archetypes skill for skill. Archetypes generally follow the same structure when the skillsets are released, but this is not a rule carved in stone. For example: Axelords have 2 instant kill methods, blademasters have 1. Axelord necromancers have 3 instant kill methods, blademaster moon warriors have 1. Wiccans (regardless of tertiary) have 1 instant kill. Tarot Celestines have 3. City bards have access to death tarot, commune bards have nothing similar in ecology. Is your argument that we should normalize all of these guilds? I imagine it's probably not. 

All of that being said, I never said the option for an instant kill was being removed. I said cloud coils will (likely) be removed because it is a clutter affliction. You can still envoy northwind and dysbaric pressure to be an instant kill, or separate them entirely and make dysbaric pressure a stand alone instant kill. Aquas and geomancers both have access to instant kills that do not require unique afflictions, so I don't think it's all that outlandish to do the same with Aeromancers, especially considering how infrequently the current incarnation is actually used. Or you can do away with the instant kill all together and use this as an opportunity to turn it into some type of burst ego drain based on mental afflictions to make TPs viable. It's up to you! If you are wanting to keep cloudcoils because you believe that is your only option for a guild specific instakill, rest assured that is not your only option. 

edit: I think the only things I poo-poo'd on this topic was burst damage and changing it to an incurable affliction. 
    Saesh said:

The reality is we don't, and in most normal situations you don't either, attempt to balance across archetypes skill for skill. Archetypes generally follow the same structure when the skillsets are released, but this is not a rule carved in stone. For example: Axelords have 2 instant kill methods, blademasters have 1. Axelord necromancers have 3 instant kill methods, blademaster moon warriors have 1. Wiccans (regardless of tertiary) have 1 instant kill. Tarot Celestines have 3. City bards have access to death tarot, commune bards have nothing similar in ecology. Is your argument that we should normalize all of these guilds? I imagine it's probably not. 

All of that being said, I never said the option for an instant kill was being removed. I said cloud coils will (likely) be removed because it is a clutter affliction. You can still envoy northwind and dysbaric pressure to be an instant kill, or separate them entirely and make dysbaric pressure a stand alone instant kill. Aquas and geomancers both have access to instant kills that do not require unique afflictions, so I don't think it's all that outlandish to do the same with Aeromancers, especially considering how infrequently the current incarnation is actually used. Or you can do away with the instant kill all together and use this as an opportunity to turn it into some type of burst ego drain based on mental afflictions to make TPs viable. It's up to you! If you are wanting to keep cloudcoils because you believe that is your only option for a guild specific instakill, rest assured that is not your only option. 

edit: I think the only things I poo-poo'd on this topic was burst damage and changing it to an incurable affliction. 
    I actually have a draft report to do some conversion for all those abilities. Additionally, the comment about people complaining about Aeros keeping the insta in aeromancy was most certainly not aimed at you, but at other players who seem to feel that just because cloud coils is going, aeros shouldn't have an insta kill and just end up in a vacuum with two of their powers. I looked over what was attempted to be fleshed out with another envoy who really wanted to redo aeromancy dysbaric pressure and was very far from impressed with the solutions, and so were the other envoys who looked at it. That's neither here nor there though.

• Well that's certainly not the case! If aeros can make a case for an insta-kill (which shouldn't be too hard considering they do currently have one) that is balanced, I'm all for it. You can also get creative with it and maybe even use these skills to make your tertiaries more viable. You're obviously working hard to find the right solution, so I'm eager to hear what you have when you are ready. 
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    No one said they shouldn't have an instakill, that's being dramatic. 

All was said was that deleting dysbaric pressure doesn't mean you -need- another instakill in order to delete it.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.