What are you watching?

DaraiusDaraius ShevatThe juror's taco spot
We know what books and games Lusternians are enjoying, but what are we watching on the idiot box (and idiot streaming services)?

I mentioned in raves that I just finished Princess Jellyfish and Kill La Kill on Netflix recently, both of which I unexpectedly loved (for vasty different reasons of course). Trying Sword Art Online now (because Max recommended it) but compared to KLK, it's pretty boring, and "fan service" in general just strikes me as gross.

I decided to delve back into Parks & Recreation to see if it's as good as I tell people it is. As of the first quarter of season two, it's not.

As for actual broadcast TV, I'm just waiting for Hannibal and Rick & Morty to come back! Any recommendations? :D
I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

Comments

• ...Gossip Girl. Finally started it on Netflix. Finishing season 3 and I love it.

I'm also a Scandal, Game of Thrones, and Mad Men fan. And I'm keeping up with Project Runway.

Also I've said this before on forums but Shin Sekai Yori is an incredible anime and I recommend it forever.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Doctor Who
    Arrow
    Flash
    Person of Interest
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    Grimm
    Black Jesus
    Orphan Black
    The Americans
    Turn

These are either currently airing, soon to return in the next two months, or will not be back until early/mid next year. There are a few newer shows that I want to try and catch, but haven't had the chance. There are a few other shows that I need to find the chance to binge watch and fully catch up on, like NCIS, NCIS:LA, Criminal Minds, and others.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Finally, the thread I have been waiting for. I am not a fan of watching movies or playing games and I only read academic texts lately, so TV is my primary mode of pop culture consumption. I am so anxious for this Fall Season! 

Like @Isune, I watch Gossip Girl. It is one of the most informative shows for me - it is so vapid, so Gatsbyian, so perfect. I too watch Project Runway. 

I tried to get into Kill La Kill, @Daraius, but I don't know - maybe it is a combination of not really being interested in anime or the really... explicit quality of the show, I just didn't want to give it any time. I was inspired to watch it because of Mike Rugnetta from Idea Channel, but I just can't. I'll just ignore it and wait for more Sailor Moon Crystal.

At the moment, I am really excited for How To Get Away With Murder because Viola Davis. Scandal is an experience. I am basically a major CW fan (especially since I feel like they finally becoming a major contender for show content). 
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    Bake Off.

It is all the television you will ever need.
  • The first series of Banshee is the best thing I've seen in ages. So cool. Need to get hold of the second series.
  • Besides Game of Thrones and Vikings, I don't really watch TV. I tried to get into Kill La Kill, but I read rather negative things about it, so I stopped after a few episodes. (Disclaimer: The font in the link is rather tiny, so zoom in to read. Also rape discussion warnings, etc.)
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited September 2014
    It's better if you don't read it as a rape analogy and more as a coming of age analogy.

Coming of age and maturity despite a sexually abusive parent (in this case, the mother!)

Also, there are a lot of elements (the hypersexualised kamui outfits) that are a satire towards traditional anime, especially the way that "the less you wear, the more powerful you become". KLK isn't really meant to be taken that seriously, imo.

• Shikari said:
    I tried to get into Kill La Kill, but I read rather negative things about it, so I stopped after a few episodes. (Disclaimer: The font in the link is rather tiny, so zoom in to read. Also rape discussion warnings, etc.)
    I feel you. I couldn't get into Bakuman either because it kept rubbing me the wrong way.

I saw like two episodes of Kill La Kill and it's okay. I see why people like it. I had similar weird vibes though and left.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited September 2014
    As for what I am watching now, I don't really make time for television or even anime nowadays. There is only one show that I really "can't wait for the next episode so I learn learn x y z".

I think the picture broke. It's Steven Universe, everyone.

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Eagerly awaiting the second series of 'The Fall' which should be starting up this autumn. Cat-and-mouse thriller set in Belfast with Gillian Anderson, (who I also loved in Hannibal) and that guy who's going to be in 50 Shades of Grey.

Doesn't have the artistic flourishes of Hannibal but if you like dark and creepy, it should be up your alley.
  • More shows!

Orange is the New Black (I feel like this is like obvious; anti-heroine largely non-white ensemble? Yes, please)
    I second @Neos with Orphan Black - so good!
    Sleepy Hollow (because of Nicole Beharie)

@Shikari - I've been wanting to watch Vikings for a while, but I don't know - I am not a fan of period pieces. But it looks like the new Spartacus, which was just so <3
  • Nott said:
    @Shikari - I've been wanting to watch Vikings for a while, but I don't know - I am not a fan of period pieces. But it looks like the new Spartacus, which was just so <3
    It's by the History channel so it's supposedly quite accurate, though I've read arguments about the accuracy of human sacrifices among the Norse. I am in love with the religious scenes and themes, too, and the inclusion of various strong female characters, both as warriors and non-warriors. And also - battle scenes.
  • Halfway the last season of Breaking Bad. Yes, late, I know! Feels it is kinda dragging on so I've struggled to keep up but at the same time I want to know how it ends.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Doctor who and Futurama. I'm still reserving judgement on the new Doctor Peter Capaldi but so far it's better than season 1 of the new series (Ninth doctor). Futurama is just a masterpiece in writing as well as being more clever than The Simpsons. They do emotions good and make clever comedy. Some favourites being Parasites Lost and the D&D parody movie which did a pretty good job. A Clockwork Origin was also good and clever. Nightmare in silver is my favourite episode in Doctor Who so far. Crazy Matt Smith, love him.
    Retired.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Shikari said:
    It's by the History channel so it's supposedly quite accurate, though I've read arguments about the accuracy of human sacrifices among the Norse. I am in love with the religious scenes and themes, too, and the inclusion of various strong female characters, both as warriors and non-warriors. And also - battle scenes.
    It's very true to the tone of the old skaldic poems and sagas that feature Lodbrok, but those aren't necessarily accurate representations of history. Even so, that probably leaves it as one of the more accurate shows on the History Channel. Definitely the most dedicated to accurately modelling its sources of every period piece since Rome.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    edited September 2014
    I'm often late to TV series, but that's because we love to download entire seasons and pretty much watch nothing but them until we run out. Having to wait a week between episodes is the bane of my existance (but some shows I can't hold off watching until I have a full season!)

Doctor Who
    Vikings (I didn't expect to get so sucked in as I did)
    Weeds  (late to the party like I said)
    Walking Dead
    Game of Thrones

And recently discovered for those nights when we just want mindless entertainment:

Veep
    Brooklyn 911

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    I finally watched the Avengers and plan on watching Guardians of the Galaxy soon - but not seen it yet.

Also watched Mary and Max. I went in expecting it to be some light-hearted fun and was even worried it would be too much of a kids movie. It ended up not being a kids movie at all and was not in the least light-hearted, was super depressing.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • KLK started out okay if weirdly heavy on the fanservice, but pretty quickly became incredibly fun, I wanna say by episode 6 or so? Old Gainax at work. Just finished watching all of Archer, which was hilarious, and am following Tokyo Ghoul and Aldnoah Zero. Also just watched Treasure Planet for the first time, which was cute.
  • Last Week Tonight With John Oliver.
    Manhattan
    The Knick

The Surprises:
    Doctor Who
    The Last Ship
    and I can't believe it either: The Strain.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    I always find myself going back to older animes I have enjoyed lately, I can't seem to keep interest in some of the newer ones :(

Some animes I've been (re)watching lately:
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    .hack//SIGN
    Irresponsible Captain Tylor
    Getbackers
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited September 2014
    Face Off is the one bit of reality TV I indulge in. It can be a little formulaic (like any reality TV), but I like it because it really is about the process and product, not interpersonal drama. The first episode this season I picked Dina to win it all because she's a cake decorator and she's just adorable. Very happy she's still in the game. :x
    I used to make cakes.

• So we got Netflix in Belgium finally. My life is complete. Now watching The Bridge, it's about a murder victim found halfway on the bridge between Denmark and Sweden. Except the body turns out to be two bodies. And then it gets real interesting.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • I've been really watching a lot of Lie to Me and Futurama lately. I'm getting ready to run through the LOTR movies and the hobbit parts for the last one. I surprisingly have not watched Dr. Who since the special with all of the doctors in one place. So, NO SPOILERS. :D But, I watch an ungodly amount of Star Trek and when I mean ungodly, I mean -divine-.
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Person of Interest are finally back tonight, woo. So excite.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Shows finally out:

The Mindy Project, New Girl, Sleepy Hollow <3 

I am not sure how I feel about Gotham. Its aesthetic is cool, but it seems so bland. 
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I've been meaning to go through this thread and squeal at everyone watching things I like.

@Maligorn - I love the world building. And the music any time Pearl does something cool. And the lion. And the slooow drip of new info does keep one hungry for more.

@Turnus - HAVE YOU SEEN GUARDIANS AND DID YOU LIKE IT. Also I had the same reaction to Mary & Max. I think they were going for a kind of happy ending but it was still awfully grim.

@Kalnid - Archer is (often) pure gold. I love that every character is irredeemably awful to everyone else. It's like the anti-Parks & Recreation. Treasure Planet was something from my childhood I forgot about until I found it on Netflix. It needs about 45% more Doctor Doppler. :x

Recently I stole borrowed my aunt's Amazon login information because I'd heard good things about Transparent. If you haven't heard, it's about a 70-ish father coming out to his grown kids as a transgender woman. It's pretty fantastic if you can get over all the sexy sex. Really great performances by everyone. They seem way more realistic and natural as a family than any other I've seen on TV, possibly because they're all selfish assholes like real life families. It's only ten episodes, but it's been renewed for a second season.

Ooh, I think Orphan Black is on Amazon too. Gonna check that out after.
    I used to make cakes.

• SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    edited October 2014
    • Once Upon a Time
    • Defiance
    • Jane the Virgin
    • Legend of Korra (last season, nooo, whyyyy)
    • Sailor Moon Crystal
    • Person of Interest
    • Game of Thrones
    • Sleepy Hollow
    • The Flash
    • Supernatural
    Edit: Forgot two!

• Bee and Puppycat
    • Scorpion
    Edit edit: Forgot another...

• Forever
  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. *.* BOBBI MORSE. Oh god I could talk for days about AoS. I kind of want to get caught up on Castle, and Hannibal. Orphan Black is on my to-watch list. I find myself wanting to rewatch Pushing Daisies and Dead Like Me, because I understand they share many things in common with Hannibal. Withholding judgement on Gotham and The Flash until I watch them, but I'm still very upset that they picked the WRONG Flash. Wally is the best Flash and it should have been about him. Arrow is on my list, if only for the DC Guest Stars. But I'm really not wanting to fall in love with Arrow until there's a J'onn guest star, so I dunno.

I'm kinda waiting for next season of Ru Paul's Drag Race, that's the only reality TV I can stomach anymore. Def need to catch up on Legend of Korra, and waiting(ANXIOUSLY) for Bee and Puppycat to start. 

As for anime? Urge to rewatch some old ones. Kinda-ish following Attack on Titan but not really? Tokyo Ghoul is on my to watch list as well.

Ahaha, sorry this turned into long post.
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    @Daraius I did finally see Guardians. I did love it too! Was definitely so much better than the Avengers.

And because it's halloween, I've been watching random scary movies, also the nightmare before christmas tonight.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Alary said:
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. *.* BOBBI MORSE. Oh god I could talk for days about AoS. I kind of want to get caught up on Castle, and Hannibal. Orphan Black is on my to-watch list. I find myself wanting to rewatch Pushing Daisies and Dead Like Me, because I understand they share many things in common with Hannibal. Withholding judgement on Gotham and The Flash until I watch them, but I'm still very upset that they picked the WRONG Flash. Wally is the best Flash and it should have been about him. Arrow is on my list, if only for the DC Guest Stars. But I'm really not wanting to fall in love with Arrow until there's a J'onn guest star, so I dunno.

I'm kinda waiting for next season of Ru Paul's Drag Race, that's the only reality TV I can stomach anymore. Def need to catch up on Legend of Korra, and waiting(ANXIOUSLY) for Bee and Puppycat to start. 

As for anime? Urge to rewatch some old ones. Kinda-ish following Attack on Titan but not really? Tokyo Ghoul is on my to watch list as well.

Ahaha, sorry this turned into long post.
    Totally forgot about Bee and Puppycat! Gods it's so cute!

"Ew, gross!"