What are you watching?

Comments

• Dylara said:
    I've started watching Timeless and Westworld. Thoroughly enjoying both.
    I've been wanting to watch Westworld, but I can't fit it into my schedule - so I guess HBO Go it is! And I've been greatly enjoying Timeless too. It was really high concept so I was worried that it was just going to bomb, but it is surprisingly nice!

And #JaneTheVirginIsBack. My heart is ready. 
  • I don't think I'm going to stick with Westworld after the latest episode. Too rapey, and too dim a view of humanity as a whole.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Luce said:
    You made it further than I did. A lot of effort was put into promoting the season as a vehicle for Gaga to start acting, but I feel like either the role or the performance is just bored and lifeless. Which, given her male counterpart, doesn't seem to be a 'vampire' thing.
    Bit the bullet. Aside from John finding the Venom suit from Spiderman 3, things rather turned around, I think.

I'll tell you one thing though, aside from Gaga, who's just Gaga for most of the season (except the 20s bits those were good) the costuming team on AHS is On. Point. Sarah Paulson can be recognized from time to time, especially if/when she gets two roles in the same season, but Denis O'Hare? Kathy Bates? Frances Conroy? Evan Peters? Yeah. 
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Talan said:
    I don't think I'm going to stick with Westworld after the latest episode. Too rapey, and too dim a view of humanity as a whole.
    I recommend pushing through to episode four, it finally develops a lot of slow start plotlines and gives the hosts some much needed agency.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    What is with Crunchyroll's 5-minute unskippable indie commercials?  :/
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Can you ABP it?
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I'm watching game 5 of League of Legends Worlds 2016!

Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Tis the season for The Thing, my favorite horror movie, and Over the Garden Wall, my favorite piece of seasonal media.  <3
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I strongly recommend watching Doctor Strange!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• I just saw the trailer for The Crown. Must. Watch. And get Netflix...
  • edited November 2016
    My somewhat insufferable English class is requiring that we read Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. This is apparently a Jane Eyre prequel fanfic. I'm not terribly pleased, since as a rule, I like Jane Eyre, and dislike fanfic. Why can't we just read Jane Eyre?

Oh, because the assignment involves watching Jane Eyre first. The movie version.

Which movie version, you ask? I don't know, the teacher didn't specify. Here's the problem. I own:

1934/Virginia Bruce, Clive Colin
    1943/Joan Fontaine, Orson Welles
    1973/Sorcha Cusack, Michael Jayston
    1983/Zelah Clarke, Timothy Dalton
    1996/Charlotte Gainsborough, William Hurt
    1997/Samantha Morton, Ciaran Hinds
    2006/Ruth Wilson, Toby Stevens
    2011/Mia Waskowska, Michael Fassbender

Yes, I own at least one copy of each of 8 versions of Jane Eyre. And now I must watch them all.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Stratas said:
    My somewhat insufferable English class is requiring that we read Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. This is apparently a Jane Eyre prequel fanfic. I'm not terribly pleased, since as a rule, I like Jane Eyre, and dislike fanfic. Why can't we just read Jane Eyre?

Oh, because the assignment involves watching Jane Eyre first. The movie version.

Which movie version, you ask? I don't know, the teacher didn't specify. Here's the problem. I own:

1934/Virginia Bruce, Clive Colin
    1943/Joan Fontaine, Orson Welles
    1973/Sorcha Cusack, Michael Jayston
    1983/Zelah Clarke, Timothy Dalton
    1996/Charlotte Gainsborough, William Hurt
    1997/Samantha Morton, Ciaran Hinds
    2006/Ruth Wilson, Toby Stevens
    2011/Mia Waskowska, Michael Fassbender

Yes, I own at least one copy of each of 8 versions of Jane Eyre. And now I must watch them all.
    I actually really enjoyed Wide Sargasso Sea. It doesn't actually read like a fanfic. It just fits in nicely.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Lots of classic literature is fanfic too. Shakespeare got a kick out of reusing classic figures in his stuff.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    Lots of classic literature is fanfic too. Shakespeare got a kick out of reusing classic figures in his stuff.
    Definitely - tons of it. Real person fiction too. It's an interesting conversation to have - what constitutes fanfiction. It's easy to argue that it's anything that isn't written or overseen by the original author, in which case a huge amount of what we consume would constitute fanfiction. Sequels, film adaptations, any television program that continues its run beyond the presence of the original writers/showrunners, etc.

I had this conversation with someone I know who has written some [well known franchise] novels. When you remove quality from the equation, the difference simply boils down to the fact that money is being made.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Stratas said:
    My somewhat insufferable English class is requiring that we read Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. 
    I need to read that book I think. I love Jane Eyre and Pound's poem is one of my favorite:

Your mind and you are our Sargasso Sea, 
          London has swept about you this score years 
    And bright ships left you this or that in fee: 
          Ideas, old gossip, oddments of all things, 
    Strange spars of knowledge and dimmed wares of price. 
          Great minds have sought you — lacking someone else. 
    You have been second always. Tragical? 
          No. You preferred it to the usual thing:
    One dull man, dulling and uxorious, 
          One average mind —   with one thought less, each year. 
    Oh, you are patient, I have seen you sit 
          Hours, where something might have floated up. 
    And now you pay one.   Yes, you richly pay. 
          You are a person of some interest, one comes to you 
    And takes strange gain away: 
          Trophies fished up; some curious suggestion; 
    Fact that leads nowhere; and a tale for two, 
          Pregnant with mandrakes, or with something else 
    That might prove useful and yet never proves, 
          That never fits a corner or shows use, 
    Or finds its hour upon the loom of days: 
          The tarnished, gaudy, wonderful old work; 
    Idols and ambergris and rare inlays, 
          These are your riches, your great store; and yet 
    For all this sea-hoard of deciduous things,
          Strange woods half sodden, and new brighter stuff: 
    In the slow float of differing light and deep, 
          No! there is nothing! In the whole and all, 
    Nothing that's quite your own. 
                      Yet this is you.

--------

Jonathan Norrel and Mister Strange is on Netflix and it's pretty great. Same with Penny Dreadful. Both are set in the late 1800s London and are creepy and engaging. Currently watching these when I bash, in between documentaries because I'm a nerd and love those. The Netflix Amanda Knox one is actually really good and focuses more on the legal system vs the salacious  nature of the crime. The witch documentary is also awesome. Both are featured on Netflix right now. 
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    You guys are making me miss high school English of all things. 

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I miss two years of High school English because I liked the prof. All my other English professors were...let's go with 'poorly informed' and leave it there. Junior year's was the drama teacher though and she was a treat.
  • Weirdly, I feel like I'm back in English class sometimes! Went more than a few years where I fell out of the habit of critically thinking about what I've read and just consumed text. Remembering lately how to read and write deeper than superficial. I blame Netflix for my lapse  >_>
  • edited November 2016
    Oops phone double posted
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I blame my self-esteem issues, which I'm...thinking might be a bit more severe than I've led myself to believe, the lying jerk.
    Part of me would love the opportunity to teach a literature class curriculum of my own choosing. Imagine picking books you think people have a shot of enjoying. Omg.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sylandra said:
    Part of me would love the opportunity to teach a literature class curriculum of my own choosing. Imagine picking books you think people have a shot of enjoying. Omg.
    Imagine the sadness if nobody likes it though, that's the hard part about sharing favoured books.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Oh, man. My sister-in-law HATES one of my favourite series because it inherited some of the Noir genre's baggage with feminism. I keep forgetting and mentioning it and she keeps reacting like I offered her a plate of raw sewage. :(
  • edited November 2016
    Talan said:
    Sylandra said:
    Definitely - tons of it. Real person fiction too. It's an interesting conversation to have - what constitutes fanfiction. It's easy to argue that it's anything that isn't written or overseen by the original author, in which case a huge amount of what we consume would constitute fanfiction. Sequels, film adaptations, any television program that continues its run beyond the presence of the original writers/showrunners, etc.

I had this conversation with someone I know who has written some [well known franchise] novels. When you remove quality from the equation, the difference simply boils down to the fact that money is being made.
    As someone who reads a lot of fanfic, and writes some amount of it, I can definitely confirm that the best fanfic tends to be of a similar quality to published work, and better than some. Then again, I might be biased, since when I was growing up, there was nowhere to get English-language books in my (non-English-speaking) country, and ebooks weren't a thing yet, so I pretty much learned to write from reading fanfic.
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • It seems there's just been released an animated version of Doctor Who's Power of the Daleks story from the Troughton years. Sorry, Jane, you'll have to wait.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
    Caught the first episode of The Grand Tour, I know there's a couple of Top Gear fans here, go check this out. It's brilliant.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Dylara said:
    Sylandra said:
    Imagine the sadness if nobody likes it though, that's the hard part about sharing favoured books.
    Worse, imagine angry calls from parents and a meeting with the principal because you dared to teach your 10th grade class The Bluest Eye. Which happened to a friend of mine. :(

I'm watching the latest season of Jane the Virgin, to stay on topic, and it remains a perfect show.
    Daraius said:
    Vikings is back, and it is glorious.

• I finally managed to collect all of Downton Abbey, so it's now time to actually watch it.
  • Mr. Robot, after overhearing @Barrin talk about it. I must say It's a great watch, though the name did turn me away at first glance.

Other than that still waiting for the new season of the Black Sails!
     "Oh the year was 453CE, how I wish I was in Serenwilde now... aletter of marque come from the regent to the scummiest aethership I ever seen, gods damn them all...I was told we'd cruise the void for auronidion and dust, we'd fire no turrets, shed no tears.. now I'm a broken man on a Hallifax tier, the last of Saz's privateers."

-Kilian