Trolling New Demigods - A Treatise

Comments

• Neos said:
    Rialorm said:
    Don't go into pvp without a 5 mil buffer. Don't even leave your org without a 1 mil buffer.
    I've done both.
    Ok well, you could do it, but you might possibly regret it. I like to err on the side of caution with not losing demi. But feel free to YOLO into combat without buffer if that is your style Dx
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Neos said:
    Rialorm said:
    Don't go into pvp without a 5 mil buffer. Don't even leave your org without a 1 mil buffer.
    I've done both.
    And you nearly lost demigod once from it in a domoth fight, sure you can get lucky but you're not going to advise people do it on a regular basis.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    That's what we call a Revan buffer.

@Lavinya: sorry, I thought it was camberre both times. ‌
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Not a demi yet, but it reinforces my hope/desire that maybe one day they could implement a thing, where you can hit demi...and that's that, you're demi forever and can't be knocked back to lower circles. I mean, it's your crowning achievement as a character right? Why not keep it, you've earned it. If you die, sure you can loose essence the same, it just wouldn't affect your status as a demi. And if people say but we're bored.. maybe a demi remort system? Dunno. /toddles back to work related things

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Being able to get knocked out of having demi wouldn't make people more bored because they won't have to bash again! They were almost certainly utterly bored bashing.
  • edited October 2014
    Ah, I was more thinking along the lines of how sometimes players when they reach a ' level cap' ie demi they might get bored and antsy for new 'content'. But yes, PermaDemi=more happy fun times? Maybe?

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • edited October 2014

Rialorm said:
    Sucks but how is anyone supposed to know you are a fresh demigod and afk? I doubt you honour everyone before taking a jab at them. So why expect others to treat you differently? It seems you messed up and paid the price, again that sucks but such is life. Don't go into pvp without a 5 mil buffer. Don't even leave your org without a 1 mil buffer. These are well established guidelines.

And while I am against continuous griefing and borderline tactics I don't think we need to treat each other with gloved hands just because there is a perceived "low playerbase". If you do that, only thing that happens is people grow complacent, which backfires in the end. Learn the rules of the game, teach others so it doesn't happen to them, but honestly since you didn't get targeted for being a fresh demi why even go on a rant about that? I understand you are upset but you really only have yourself to blame here. You sound rather burnt out, so I think maybe a small break to put things into perspective might help. Glad you didn't outright quit though, and see your fault, so there is that. Catch your breath, get the levels back and err on the side of caution from there on until you got that buffer.

PS: I really like @Lerad's suggestion of default manse perms being set to owner only. I think a lot of people set that as the first thing anyway.
    People can easily check XP RANKINGS to tell where you are between titan and demigod. In fact, I'm consistently checking honours before I jab at them, because I discriminate between people actively go out of their way to be difficult, or little newblets trying to find their way through game mechanics.

As I've said before, while I understand that it's my responsibility, I was upset. But I take it with a grain of salt. I cried and moved on like a bad breakup. In fact, the point of me opening up 'discussion' (and I stress that word 'discussion') was to warn others about it instead of turning this  into a bashing party about AFK, @Leolamins (thank you for your post), my ways of doing things, and combat tactics of other PK'ers in this game.

Once again, I am proven by many of your posts here that yeah you go AFK you get punished for it. Yes, AFK has its purpose, but again, it can be dangerous. Sure, fine, I get that. But my problem is more along the lines of people killing in manses when it's in the rules that you can be in there? Let me qualify, that I had thought I had qq'd and was perfectly safe for the rest of my evening, that my manse privs were cool, and I'd be okay even if I had forgotten. My next point was to address what we can do to solve this problem. Yes, of course, I talked about people, real people, and trolls and griefers in my first post. Maybe it's my thin skin, or maybe it's my oodles of compassion that make me want to rally getting some change, maybe a little. But it's happened twice this week. And I thought it would open up some attention for something to be done while the overhaul opens up a lot of bugs and issues.

I really do like @Lerad's idea. Can we get a little more support for it?

EDIT: GRAMMAR AND THINGS
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    There were no rules broken, nothing illegal was done. 

Jerkish? I guess, but not illegal.

IMO, these posts have not really highlighted a problem with mechanics. The problem seems to be about perceived attitudes. Like that aetherspace thread.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I don't know, make a trigger to phoenix upon death or whenever you can phoenix, so you will just end up afking in the havens if it does happen again for some silly reason.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Shuyin said:
    There were no rules broken, nothing illegal was done. 

Jerkish? I guess, but not illegal.

IMO, these posts have not really highlighted a problem with mechanics. The problem seems to be about perceived attitudes. Like that aetherspace thread.
    Basically the thread boils down to this:

*Community's response to AFK - Should it be changed, what do people think about it
    *Manses and their privs - " "
    *Fresh demigod killing
    *Death in Lusternia

People are talking around the mechanics with their own opinions of the attitudes presented. I think.
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • Ascendants get perma demi but for the rest of us, our grasp on the divine is fleeting....

People don't just randomly loose demi though. The ways in which people gain and lose essence are well established. This was an obscene turn of unfortunate events.

It sounds like Arien thought like she was taking appropriate steps which makes this even more messed up. I've straight up fallen asleep while I was logged in on more that one occasion. Once I got caught up in a movie I was watching while I was playing and stood still for two hours in the middle of a popular hunting area. Could not believe no one ganked me.

I think some kind of timer on an auto-phoenix would be a good idea. Like after an hour or so. I mean if I packed up and left for a weekend with Llandros waiting to phoenix I would lose my freaking mind when I got back and found him chilling in newton. My fault or not, I would lose my mind.

You shouldn't be able to 'oops' your way into that much hurt. 

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Lavinya said:
    It -is- pretty messed up that someone can completely bleed away their essence/xp to nothing given enough time. I'm not sure I support 'demigod forever' given how much easier it is to reach even since I managed it (and I hear it was a lot harder even before that), but I like Aky's idea of automatically praying/phoenixing upon running out of mana. You already have a loss through dying, which is greater if you are forced to pray/phoenix. Why does it need to be continual?
    Yes, that did sound like the best solution to the problem. And possibly a qq after the phoenix/praying so that you're not afk-ing on Prime either.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited October 2014
    Truth be told, the silver lining to all this is that it was a great learning experience for you to remember to be precautious in the future. I recall when I used to not really care about being away from my screen on my character, and then I was robbed of everything I own in another IRE mud, literally not a thing on me. This experience may have been bad, but it may have saved you from a worse fate that could have occurred in the future.

• I'm not sure there's much worse in this game that another player can inflict on you. Even being robbed wouldn't be as bad.

If the aethership is gone it may not have been the original attacker but another person who came later and launched it into aetherspace. I believe there is or was an ability to escape from a ship without docking which could mean that it's out in the middle of the void somewhere.

That action and killing someone obviously afking in a manse (given the current acceptance of such an activity) is just sad... like ten year old smack talking on vent sad. All you've really managed to achieve is frustrating someone's gaming experience and tried to justify it because there's no rule against it.

• Though... cause it's leo, in response to your post all I can really say is...

shhhhh
  • Shhhhhhhh

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• The manse being gone is odd, because when I soulrezzed you it was still accessible from the Aetherplex. Perhaps Enadonella moved it so you wouldn't be killed again?
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Orventa said:
    Not a demi yet, but it reinforces my hope/desire that maybe one day they could implement a thing, where you can hit demi...and that's that, you're demi forever and can't be knocked back to lower circles. I mean, it's your crowning achievement as a character right? Why not keep it, you've earned it. If you die, sure you can loose essence the same, it just wouldn't affect your status as a demi. And if people say but we're bored.. maybe a demi remort system? Dunno. /toddles back to work related things
    Would have to strongly disagree at this, there are consequences to death in this game, and being a Demigod means you have the capacity to avoid the long, tedious (when you've seen it enough times) cutscene that mortals have to pray for.

However to enjoy this privilege (amongst others, hello powers) you need essence, essence on death has a varied total based on where you were, dying on enemy org territory for example comes with a giant penalty as a reminder one isn't welcome there. It's also (outside of going mindless and getting killed) the biggest cause of Demigod strips.

If you weren't at risk of losing Demigod, there'd essentially be no drawback, and people would be reckless with what is suppose to be a thin hold on divinity, purely maintained through self acquired power. Granted this isn't true for Ascendants (especially TAs who have no risk of losing their status, ever) but that's one of the perks of the position, and failing to acquire the necessary essence to reform results in a 10 minute resurrection, so even they're not completely without drawbacks.

TL:DR this game isn't without consequences, there shouldn't be a bubblewrap feature to protect people from (in almost all cases) themselves.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Shaddus said:
    Dear admin: please give Conglute back to demis. Thanks.
    This. SO MUCH THIS!
  • edited October 2014
    On a somewhat related note, but if you have anything that works around TIMEOUT, do please consider disabling / removing that. It's one thing when it keeps you ingame because you don't want to lose your defs or whatever, but when it keeps you online when you think you aren't (not the case here, but has happened to some) you might end up having a bad time. Plus I also think it's not allowed, at least not outside of manses with the new afk rules.

That said, I feel demi is fine as it is. I could find myself in favour of something to avoid extreme cases of xp bleeding, but on the other hand until that is ever implemented we should do what we can to protect ourselves. I've been there done that, in that in playing EVE Online I thought I had docked my ship when I didn't and it was destroyed upon my return and I was in a new clone. Arguably less worse but it kinda stung at the time. Now I always double-check everything everywhere. It's a good all-round life lesson anyway. But yeah, while making players less likely to permaquit upon a serious misfortune is great, I do feel we need to be careful not to make things too boring. If demis have far less reason to bash that could also affect the economy in that they'd not gain as much gold, which could possibly drive up prices. All things to take into consideration.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    There will always be griefers, people that will kill people 'just because.' No they don't do it for the fight, they do it because they can.

This is a conflict game, it should always remain that way, and while yes, it's harsh, the error is on your side

Not only were the manse perms incorrect, but you obviously have code set up to stop the games automatic timeout function, which likely would have saved you from dropping to Titan, much less 95. With 2.whatever million essence, you should have easily timed out several times before then. 

I don't see why we should implement changes into the game because people specifically avoided some of the failsafes already contained within it. You have the option to timeout and you didn't use it.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Honestly, if you are not automatically logging out (ignoring the TIMEOUT feature) and are terribly idle in a non-safe place, you really should be fair game. When someone kills usually it is for their own or their orgs benifit (ICly anyway). Really should play smarter.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I don't know if you just aren't reading the posts, but she was in her personal manse and thought she was in a safe place.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    I don't know if you just aren't reading the posts, but she was in her personal manse and thought she was in a safe place.

i have, but she still had no reason for such a large loss. The timeout feature really is useful for not losing xp during afk death

• Arien said:
    ...the point of me opening up 'discussion' (and I stress that word 'discussion') was to warn others about it instead of turning this  into a bashing party about AFK, Leolamins (thank you for your post), my ways of doing things, and combat tactics of other PK'ers in this game.
    With that said, I don't know how many times I need to repeat this for people to read it. It was my responsibility, not denying that. Thanks @Yomogiu for bringing that up.
    -
    -
    I write things
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Synkarin said:

I don't see why we should implement changes into the game because people specifically avoided some of the failsafes already contained within it. You have the option to timeout and you didn't use it.
    Things need to evolve as and when such evolution is deemed necessary. I personally never understood why there was extra drain beyond the drain that is incurred at death in the first place, and there are situations where you can end up online in an unsafe place and not at your keyboard. There was a point in time when IREs had the option to disable timeout altogether for instance, and there was a time when I had a character go down from 90 to 30 due to an emergency situation at home. True, I was 18 at the time and still in high school, but when my mom calls me from her room that she's having some trouble, and I had to rush and call an ambulance and then sit with her to make sure she was okay, and then ride with her to the hospital, the last thing I thought of was to log my character out. Said character wasn't in a location that might be considered unsafe either, but someone decided to raid and went on a killing spree so there you have it.

Was it my fault for not using the timeout feature? Perhaps. Could the issue have been avoided by simply not having the additional drain-over-time-while-not-praying? Most certainly. Was my character a non-com at the time and thus not a threat to anyone? Indeed. Heck, it was at a time when IREs didn't even give out credits for leveling and I hadn't bought a single credit, be it with gold or RL money, so all I had at the time was a single virt skill. But anyway, the whole 'shoulda, woulda, coulda' thing is getting old. Yes, Arien admits to being in the wrong for going afk in a place she thought she'd be safe. It happens, but when that place is her own manse and she hasn't been seen in fights beyond the occasional defense attempt for scuffles in Etherwilde? I'd say it's very much a bad move to go and murder her when she is clearly afk too.

Anyway.... /rantoff.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.