What was the main race of each Magnagoran House before project Cosmic Hope?

Comments

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    @Vivet Well, from what I've seen of the pre-taint geomancers, they were pretty nature-lovin' so elfen would fit right in.

@Kalnid Wait...gravediggers aren't tainted gophers?

• Daganev said:
    What is the first warlord's purge of the elfen and merian that you are referring to?
    I'm mostly asking because I remember it being a request from Fain. (which is long after the taint)
    This. AFIK, the whole "kill elfens and merians" thing is an originally Fainite idea. Before Fain, it wasn't on the political agenda at all.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Kalnid said:
    Hold up, I thought the Blasted Lands predate Cosmic Hope? The gravediggers at least do, so it wasn't a particularly pleasant place.
    I tried digging through my old reference material to find specifics, but sadly could not. I'm quite certain, however, that HELP BLASTED LAND and HELP MALACODA both make some cursory reference to a former landscape that was much different than what we see today, and sensibly more vast (I have to assume there were going to be expansions off the blasted lands in due time and they simply never have happened).

If I can find more, I'll be sure to get a proper reference set for you.

In the meantime, I'd like to know where gravediggers are specifically mentioned as being pre-taint! I've never heard of that before, ever.

• edited December 2014
    Iytha said:
    Daganev said:
    What is the first warlord's purge of the elfen and merian that you are referring to?
    I'm mostly asking because I remember it being a request from Fain. (which is long after the taint)
    This. AFIK, the whole "kill elfens and merians" thing is an originally Fainite idea. Before Fain, it wasn't on the political agenda at all.
    Incorrect. While Fain was a big advocate of merian and elfen slaughter, so much so that in modern times (this referring to when players were in control) he would emphasize that merians and elfens and later kepheras are His enemies (and doing so, Magnagora's enemies). HOWEVER, documentation also shows that as per the first warlord, Saverian I, command, all elfen and merians were not permitted entrance nor existence within Magnagora and all current ones were removed from public. This was in tandemum with hostilities from then New Celest and Serenwilde towards Magnagora and the Taint.
  • In my headcanon the n'Kylbar are originally merian. Think about it! Ruthless, highly involved in politics, well-connected, quite imperial and greedy. Also - that being the truth would be hilarious, nay, hysterical.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    If you think about it, it would make sense, kind of, for one of the Magnagoran Houses to at least be merians, being close to the Crystal Sea and all.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• And it being part of the HCE, and taking into consideration HCE's interest in Magnagora, and Shallamar's growing fame, and so on. It's entirely logical headcanon. Doesn't make it any less funny though.
    Speaking of Shallamar and the Shallamurine Cathedral, which house could be the aslaran house?
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• A suggestion of which it could be/is is out there!
  • This is the geekiest thread I have ever seen in these forums.

I love it please don't stop.

• Sorry, @Drocilla, but the People's Chancellor of Great House n'Kylbar is going to remain very tight-lipped regarding their origins at this moment.

I didn't get into the Presidio today so I can't verify one way or another regarding those documents right now.  It is fact that Fain despises the elfen, merian, and kepheran (Lady Elfenhoala and Lord Meridian are the Two True Traitors, and the kepheran animals thought they could imprison Him), but that is hardly the point.  To my understanding the pogroms against the former two races existed before His return and are fairly easy to understand even w/o documents given that: 1) Nil is diametrically opposed to Celestia, 2) the city of New Celest and the Commune of Serenwilde were in direct military conflict against Magnagora post-Taint, 3) Serenwilde is a Luddite nature commune or barbarism whereas Magnagora is a thriving centre of industrial civilisation.  All this happened before His return from the Void.

I'll see what I can do regarding the Presidio documents (no spoilers mind you, just a confirmation or debunking) and if anyone can beat me I'd appreciate it.  To the hopefuls: no spoilers mind you, just a confirmation or debunking.  We don't want to ruin the puzzles for anyone.
    </RANT>
    House Veloske, anyone?  B-)

#bringShikariback 

• edited December 2014
    Siam said:
    House Veloske, anyone?  B-)
    But she is a Merian.
    Wait, what?! I always assumed she was aslaran. Hnggg. I should've bothered to probe her. That being said, House Veloske would have a very interesting rp, mind you! All the possibilities!

#bringShikariback 

• Siam said:
    Wait, what?! I always assumed she was aslaran. Hnggg. I should've bothered to probe her. That being said, House Veloske would have a very interesting rp, mind you! All the possibilities!
    The things you find on google....

A tall and slender merian woman in the prime of her life, Marani Veloske is the 
    picture of royalty in both dress and bearing. Long golden fins crest her head, 
    falling like hair down her back, trailing slightly after her. Clad in a fine 
    robe of red satin with wide sleeves and a full pleated skirt that hugs her 
    lissome figure, she carries herself with a regal authority, standing utterly 
    poised. Platinum scales cover her body, the brilliant white sheen contrasting 
    with her dark violet eyes that are filled with thinly veiled contempt and a 
    blazing, unearthly glow.
    Marani Veloske looks to be crushingly strong.
    She weighs about 146 pounds.
    She is loyal to the Shallamurine Cathedral.
    You cannot see what Marani Veloske is holding.

• Love it though.

• Oh fascinating...
    A communist coup.

Whats the divine business about?

• Daganev said:
    Oh fascinating...
    A communist coup.

Technically back then there were no gods, and the only form of 'higher beings' mortals looked up to were the either the Supernals/Emanations or some kind of introduced faith or cultural value (like freedom in Gaudiguch, or for the greater spirits in the communes). Meaning his definition of 'Divine' in that post simply dignifies "Position of Power", especially with the taint being seen as a divine given power in itself.

Truth be told, I rather like the idea of 'no divine', not because of hate towards them, but merely the idea that "We cant call on Big Brother to fix this, and it is all in our hands", is rather nice. I'd have loved to have been a character in the days of the Vernal Wars. Can you imagine the mortal races being all alone and having to take on creatures of titanic power, and so rather than give in to despair, found a way to fight them on their own turf. I guess this is a topic for another time.
  • Arcanis said:

Daganev said:
    Oh fascinating...
    A communist coup.

Technically back then there were no gods, and the only form of 'higher beings' mortals looked up to were the either the Supernals/Emanations or some kind of introduced faith or cultural value (like freedom in Gaudiguch, or for the greater spirits in the communes). Meaning his definition of 'Divine' in that post simply dignifies "Position of Power", especially with the taint being seen as a divine given power in itself.

Truth be told, I rather like the idea of 'no divine', not because of hate towards them, but merely the idea that "We cant call on Big Brother to fix this, and it is all in our hands", is rather nice. I'd have loved to have been a character in the days of the Vernal Wars. Can you imagine the mortal races being all alone and having to take on creatures of titanic power, and so rather than give in to despair, found a way to fight them on their own turf. I guess this is a topic for another time.
    See Roark's Fulcrux :)
  • Daganev said:
    Arcanis said:

Daganev said:
    Oh fascinating...
    A communist coup.

Well yes there was Roark, but he was sort of focused on his own thing.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Arcanis said:
    I'd have loved to have been a character in the days of the Vernal Wars. Can you imagine the mortal races being all alone and having to take on creatures of titanic power, and so rather than give in to despair, found a way to fight them on their own turf. I guess this is a topic for another time.
    That's exactly what they did (or is that what you're getting at?).
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Arcanis said:
    Daganev said:
    Arcanis said:

Daganev said:
    Oh fascinating...
    A communist coup.

Well yes there was Roark, but he was sort of focused on his own thing.
    That's not what I meant.  He has a book, encouraging people to not worship the divine and to not join orders.
  • No he doesn't. He has a book encouraging people to worship the divine for the sole purpose of cheating truefavours out of them and making themselves stronger, and faking your way in an order to wring as much as possible out of the God for yourself.
  • Oh -- something that struck me also while thinking about Magnagoran noble houses is merian witch hunts.

"Throw him in the Sea of Despair! If he can breathe water, he's a merian and must be executed! If he drowns, he was a true viscanti and will be mourned."

• It's always been my personal belief that Magnagora could have existed as a village before being conquered by the Celestine Empire. It would actually make far more sense to me- it would have allowed for a culture that was more fiercely independent from Celests, which would better explain the different naming conventions and societal makeup. Magnagoran noble houses were crazily competitive well before PCH, and there seems to be zero links to families in Celest, which doesn't make much sense if we're saying Celest founded Magnagora. 

Someone also mentioned something about how the noble houses came to be- I would say that Angkrag is mostly responsible. The histories and current make up show the links to Magnagoran (and not Celestian) families, which would have bene how they made their fortunes, and could establish their own houses. 

As for n'Lochli being Lobo. It could simply be the difference between nomadic tribal lobo culture, and a tribe who chose to establish themselves formally somewhere else in order to represent the other gathered tribes, or because their food sources were becoming more scarce, etc. 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    If you want to understand Roark's book, just read Ayn Rand and "The Fountainhead".
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • The wreaths have a vision that specifically shows a pre-Empire magnagora, so Nym is right.
  • Probably unimportant where noble houses are concerned but a recently made viscanti npc to do wih the presidio mentions the suspicion her family hd that they were trill before viscanti. Her surname isnt an 'official' Mgngoran house, but yeah, looks like before viscanti here wee just a mix of races.