Simple Ideas

Comments

• ^This. 100%. I could kiss you, @Enyalida, but I won't because I've got cooties. But in all seriousness the fact that IRE economies are just that - economies - has always been one of the biggest pulls in the game for me. That the economy is broken is beyond argument, but I really think that imposing hard-coded minimum prices isn't the solution we need. I mean, just as an example of solutions, the fact that aethermines were removed was a great step, but it might take a while for us to see its impact. If, @Breandryn, as you intimate, there are other artefacts contributing to the same problem, then dealing with those would be a better first step in my opinion.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited February 2017
    That, and there's just no movement in the economy. This is in part because bashing generates so much gold and there's so little that people need or want to buy that it's flat out better gold income for 95% of the population to bash their gold into existance ex nihilo then it is to try and generate movement.  I've been saying for years through at least two gold drop reworks that changes will create and perpetuate what's called stagflation and people giggled because I made a bad stag pun. 

Frankly, what I'd do is have the majority of mobs only drop gold if gold has been spent at NPC vendors for supplies, artifacts, service fees, and the like. Fiddle that up a tad so that 85% of the gold dropped is gold that's come out of the game, only 15% is new. Those aslarans are dropping gold because someone spent some money in Shanthmark, who in turn traded for some commodities with the Moors camp Aslarans. Quinotaurs (if they drop at all) have gold because they sucked it off the ocean floor after it fell off a marooned trading ship moving commodities from Stewartsville to Celest. Whatever.

Presto, now you MUST generate economy or you have no gold. Pair that with org purchasing programs for things that you can generate out of nothing like esteem, power, and godly essence, so that newbies have a method of generating gold for supplies and all of that frozen up gold gets into circulation to embolden citizen purchasing. 

That doesn't solve the problem of trades being ungodly expensive to participate in, the cartel system being utter crap, or the only gold sinks being awful vanity manses, but it turns off the tap of gold immediately. 
    edited February 2017
    There also need to be managable gold sinks that aren't high-ticket vanity items like aethermanses. I'm talking... Make it take 2 essence per 1 woodchem reagent. Buying them from the guild tutor npc still yields 5 reagents per 1 item! Introduce similar npc costs to every class. Oh sorry Institute and Illuminati, something is happened and we need to align your gems/process your flesh. Hand it in to us, gain some karma or w/e, we'll work on it and then get back to you with it. Oh, also it's gonna cost 10gp per for materials, and so on. It'd be a lowgrade constant drain that doesn't adversely affect any one player, but everyone must participate, or have their cost offset by a slow drain of org coffers. 

Introduce more of these. Oh man, these new cures need special containers, player made vials aren't sufficient anymore. Gotta buy all vials from a denizen for 50gp a pop! Speaking of cures, they stick to the alembic, gotta buy a special alembic cleaning solution, available now from a denizen near you! So on and so forth. Especially tagging these onto essential trade items like cures is a good idea, as that drain is easily offset by the necessity of players to purchase them. 

Then, create an option for a faction or org to subsidize these. If toggled on, the org pays 2-3x the usual cost per, but on the customer side things become free! "We've invested in a special self-cleaning alembic but it needs to get expensive servicing every year. The more it's used, the more it costs at the end of the year to clean all the gunk out" 

• Enyalida said:
    There also need to be managable gold sinks that aren't high-ticket vanity items like aethermanses. I'm talking... Make it take 2 essence per 1 woodchem reagent. Buying them from the guild tutor npc still yields 5 reagents per 1 item! Introduce similar npc costs to every class. Oh sorry Institute and Illuminati, something is happened and we need to align your gems/process your flesh. Hand it in to us, gain some karma or w/e, we'll work on it and then get back to you with it. Oh, also it's gonna cost 10gp per for materials, and so on. It'd be a lowgrade constant drain that doesn't adversely affect any one player, but everyone must participate, or have their cost offset by a slow drain of org coffers. 

Introduce more of these. Oh man, these new cures need special containers, player made vials aren't sufficient anymore. Gotta buy all vials from a denizen for 50gp a pop! Speaking of cures, they stick to the alembic, gotta buy a special alembic cleaning solution, available now from a denizen near you! So on and so forth. Especially tagging these onto essential trade items like cures is a good idea, as that drain is easily offset by the necessity of players to purchase them. 

Then, create an option for a faction or org to subsidize these. If toggled on, the org pays 2-3x the usual cost per, but on the customer side things become free! "We've invested in a special self-cleaning alembic but it needs to get expensive servicing every year. The more it's used, the more it costs at the end of the year to clean all the gunk out" 

My issue with suggestions like this is that it tends to pretty much closes out true new players from even trying to participate in the economy. Most low-impact things like this seem reasonable when you've got tons of income, but if you're a newbie, or even an experienced player who doesn't have the money or time to get a bunch of credits and artifacts, or bash constantly on top of trying to get in the market.
    edited February 2017
    I just don't think that's the case. Even with significantly reduced gold drops, there are still quest gold generation including vermin, collegium quests for 1k a pop, and org programs. Getting started is not a huge issue in Lusternia. 

EDIT: Likewise, costs on spell use only really come into play when you're frequently spamming combat abilities. If you're a newbie, you aren't doing that and therefore won't incur high costs. For instance, in Achaea you have to pay an npc for your tarot cards. If you aren't spamming tarot cards like mad for combat, this costs you very little to use the utility cards while bashing or exploring. 
  • Enyalida said:
    I just don't think that's the case. Even with significantly reduced gold drops, there are still quest gold generation including vermin, collegium quests for 1k a pop, and org programs. Getting started is not a huge issue in Lusternia. 

EDIT: Likewise, costs on spell use only really come into play when you're frequently spamming combat abilities. If you're a newbie, you aren't doing that and therefore won't incur high costs. For instance, in Achaea you have to pay an npc for your tarot cards. If you aren't spamming tarot cards like mad for combat, this costs you very little to use the utility cards while bashing or exploring. 
    Just out of curiousity, have you done so recently yourself? I have, and I struggle with it - I am lucky to have OOC friends who will find RP ways to help with it when they are in the org that I am, but it is difficult for me without that assistance.
  • edited February 2017

I dont actually agree with that Enyalidia. Like I struggled to buy basic curing herbs and stuff when i first started. Narynth gave me like 100k gold to buy the stuff I needed and that set me up to be able to go out and hunt stuff on my own. 100k may not sound like much but it is a lot if all your looking at is vermin and stuff.

But without that initial cash injection I'd have had to spend hours grinding the more low reward stuff before I could jump start into the game.

edited February 2017
    I mean, yes? I started an alt a month or so ago and didn't have any trouble purchasing sufficient equipment within a day or two: vials with fireflies, full rift of h/m/e, ice, and a good double handful of dust within a day or two. I think it took me another day or two for robes. That's enough to participate in any level appropriate PvE portion of the game.  

Anyways, the thing I just posted is a step one. See my note about all the problems it wouldn't fix that would need separate addressing. 

• edited February 2017
    An alts someone who knows the game well. Not a newbie. 

EDIT its an easy thing to solve though, just super boost the newton rewards and collegiate gold quests so a newbie finishes off with a good gold stack.

Aetolia sort of does this already with a sizeable gold reward for the intro quest.

• Probably not as simple as I think (and that probably only @Ianir can actually do), but...

I would love a way to get Comm.Channel.List besides login/the list changing.

As more of a personal issue/request, Also I would like if in Comm.Channel.Text (in the text field) it didn't include the mxp href link. It is only sent while mxp is configed on, but I like to use mxp for the various other links it has. I don't think there is a way to just turn off channel mxp likes.

Colourcodes in a separate field instead of embedded in the text field would be great as well.

so this:
        { "channel": "clt11", "talker": "Asmodia", "text": "\u001b[0385140m(\u001b[4z\u0003SEND HREF=\"channelinfo clt\"\u0004Polaris\u001b[4z\u0003/SEND\u0004): Asmodia (from the Prime Material Plane) says, \"Hallifax.\"\u001b[037m" }
    could be something like:
        { "channel": "clt11", "talker": "Asmodia", "text": "(Polaris): Asmodia (from the Prime Material Plane) says, \"Hallifax.\"", "colour": "0385140" }

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    This is pretty nitpicky, but could notepad sheets have a more generic description (i.e. one that doesn't reference size or lines)? Alternatively, could notepad patterns have an additional field for describing the pages that come out? 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    [A:16 R: 0] Solution #2: In addition to the above, allow designs for the
                             notepad paper.

This was originally slated to happen, but the Furies decided to go with only the notepads as designable (for now).
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Oh, the divine ama thread makes me think a "Goals" section might be handy. Somewhere to note down the things that you're hoping to achieve at some point.
  • On the earlier note of GMCP text, could the text field be in any way modified to be plain text? (Or could there be a plaintext field added to GMCP messages?)
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
    edited February 2017
    EDIT: Nevermind. 
  • I would kill for $(dye$) here.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Zacc said:
    I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet, but it's been around -forever-.

NIBBLE'ing on edible items should give a different message than its current, considering that most food items do not have ears.

Current message:
       You nibble tenderly on <item>'s ear.
    Possible changes:
       You give <item> an absentminded nibble.
         Lost in thought, <player> nibbles on <item>.
       Inconspicuously, you give <item> a nibble.
         <Player> discreetly nibbles on <item>.

I suppose this would apply to any non-earred object, whether edible or not, and not exclusive to edibles. Apparently, the Portal of Fate has an ear!

I don't know if it changed or not, but you used to be able to GLOMP the Moonhart Mother Tree and the tree in Glomdoring. Protip: do not test this.
  • I already ideaed it in game, with more details, but basically: crafting without having to outrift commodities
  • Zacc said:
    Current message:
       You nibble tenderly on <item>'s ear.

Disregarding food, I've always thought it was kinda dumb how this was the default message for 'nibble' anyway, in all IRE games...
    Email:        el.ni93@hotmail.com
    Discord:    Rey#1460
  • Tirah said:
    I already ideaed it in game, with more details, but basically: crafting without having to outrift commodities
    Or, relatedly the ablity to OUTR in bulk would be great! Like, I could copy-paste my needed comms from the design and BAM all of them out at the same time, no needing to OUTR one commodity-type at a time.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • I can make a little script for you in mudlet that does that, pm me a couple of designs and I can make you an alias to outr the comms for whatever design you last checked.  IIRC I had it in my old system, but I haven't been crafting anything lately.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    In mudlet you can also semi colon to issue a new command line so you could outr com 1; outr com 2; craft x

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited February 2017
    I usually just OUTR EVERYTHING before crafting.

(I wouldn't mind being able to craft right from the rift, but I also don't mind having to take things out.)
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • @Ciaran Thank you, but I don't use mudlet.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)