Simple Ideas

Comments

• So this exploded while I slept. @vivet explained it better than I did, I guess.
  • I'm not sure which of two arguments is being fought here:

1) Waaaah. Earwort only grows where the nasty Mags can lock it down,
    2) There's not enough room for earwort to grow, between its demand and -y-'s stripharvesting (the missing letters are vowels). FIX DIS.

I can get behind one of these. The other is More Whining.
  • I feel like it's mostly 2, but 1 makes the situation more frustrating because accessibility isn't equal. Though mostly that argument seems like a derail

The simplest solution seems to be to just remove the earth plane requirement (with an explanation for how it works out of course).
    Zero building requirement involved and if earth did get expanded there'd probably be grumbling.

If people are honestly complaining about it. Something similar could be done for merbloom. Faeleaf, is awkward because it'd open it up to the forests and Tolborolla.

Of course, if we can get an expansion to the elemental and ethereal planes that would be amazing. Though preferably it could delve into outer reaches where orgs don't have influence. 
  • Versalean said:
    I'm not sure which of two arguments is being fought here:

1) Waaaah. Earwort only grows where the nasty Mags can lock it down,
    2) There's not enough room for earwort to grow, between its demand and -y-'s stripharvesting (the missing letters are vowels). FIX DIS.

I can get behind one of these. The other is More Whining.
    My original argument was more about 2, though I admit my second post was really the 1. Though both really go hand in hand >.<
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    As a Magnagoran herbalist, I'm lucky if I ever find enough earwort to harvest and I have no problem with the access to it. Fun fact, most times it's already been harvested by an outsider (non-ally) so access can't be the biggest issue here!

• Lavinya said:
    As a Magnagoran herbalist, I'm lucky if I ever find enough earwort to harvest and I have no problem with the access to it. Fun fact, most times it's already been harvested by an outsider (non-ally) so access can't be the biggest issue here!
    When I was a herbalist about 3 RL years ago, it was the same, I don't think I ever found earwort above 20. I think the mentality that "Oh this belongs to our enemies anyway, does not matter if I strip harvest" is a big problem concerning earwort.
  • I don't know if I put it in my post, I really don't have a problem with sneaking and such, more that I asked recently what's the polite number people would usually harvest down to - and they said 10. Go to Earth on a sneaky mission and they're down to 6 at peak time and some rooms had none (unless they can't grow there I'm sorry if I am wrong - still new to herbs) and on that note: I'm still new to herbs, so I'm sure these arguments have been raised before, 
  • The herbs can die off on their own though, so that might not have been harvesters...
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Can earwort few on Shattered Earth?
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • edited March 2017
    Veyils said:
    Rolsand said:
    The problem you guys are stating is that there's not enough earwort. You can't expect there to be a endless supply of it while other players are constantly harvesting it.

Its not a case of controlled lands or not.

Earwort is used more now post overhaul than it was previously. The demand for earwort has skyrocketed and the supply hasn't kept up. Earwort needs to grow in more rooms, where I don't care. Make earth bigger, make earwort grow in other places etc etc doesn't matter just as long as there is more earwort in the game.
    The solution most were suggesting was making another area grow earwort. That would make the value of earwort go down, and possibly even help herbalists produce double the amount of earwort during its peak month. You can always shift the location of merbloom and add earwort to water or whatever, but it won't drastically change the amount of earwort that is available especially when a bunch of herbalists are constantly harvesting it.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Rolsand said:
    Veyils said:
    Rolsand said:
    The problem you guys are stating is that there's not enough earwort. You can't expect there to be a endless supply of it while other players are constantly harvesting it.

Earwort is used more now post overhaul than it was previously. The demand for earwort has skyrocketed and the supply hasn't kept up. Earwort needs to grow in more rooms, where I don't care. Make earth bigger, make earwort grow in other places etc etc doesn't matter just as long as there is more earwort in the game.
    The solution most were suggesting was making another area grow earwort. That would make the value of earwort go down, and possibly even help herbalists produce double the amount of earwort during its peak month. You can always shift the location of merbloom and add earwort to water or whatever, but it won't drastically change the amount of earwort that is available especially when a bunch of herbalists are constantly harvesting it.
    Would be neat if they created an area that grew all the herbs in cycles, so that when the herbs are offpeak elsewhere, they were peak in this strange location.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'm going to be pedantic here, but it's an important distinction to make: having more earwort available won't affect the value of it, it'll affect the price or cost. What it​ will affect is the value of harvesting or hoarding earwort, and in a small way the value of the Earth plane for an herbalist, but earwort will always be useful, so it will always be valuable.

My two cents
  • I think you could literally double the availability of earwort without reducing its price. But I'll let you guys in on a little secret:

Anybody who is currently stripharvesting could easily stripharvest twice as much.

TL;DR: The solution to this problem does not lie where you think it does.
  • edited March 2017
    Versalean said:
    I think you could literally double the availability of earwort without reducing its price. But I'll let you guys in on a little secret:

Anybody who is currently stripharvesting could easily stripharvest twice as much.

TL;DR: The solution to this problem does not lie where you think it does.
    Amen. You can double Earth's space or even add earwort to another location but it won't change the fact of how quickly people harvest it. 
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Well, someone mentioned it earlier, but it's a very natural inclination to stripharvest earwort just to spite Magnagora because of their attitude about it. I bet if earwort grew elsewhere, it'd not be stripharvested (or at the very least people would start nature guarding it).

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I dunno, people strip sparkle because they can. WTB nature guard.

• You have a total of 11112 messages.
    You have 2463 unread messages

I'm that popular. Really.

Also: Can we please make flowers in flowerpots not decay?

• edited March 2017
    Vivet said:
    Versalean said:

Wrong.

If it takes 15 minutes to stripharvest out an entire species of plant, do you really, genuinely believe that -anybody- would be just as liable to strip it out a plant species that would require 3 hours of time, and would require knowing each nook and cranny where it grew, some of which might have limited access (or require specific artifacts to easily access)?

<EDITED: Response too aggressive. Poster too hungry.>

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am deeply confused as to your apparent understanding of what I wrote. But I really enjoyed the rest of your post.

All my love,
    Versalean of Glomdoring
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    It's entirely possible you meant something other than what I interpreted, but that's okay. Almost time for work either way!
  • Let me just add one thing and then I'll shut up - I have seen Astral stripped on many occasions (not recently, I will concur) by individuals I probably don't need to name. As you say, it really comes down to the amount of free time people have, or their botting skillz.
  • Rolsand said:
    Veyils said:
    Rolsand said:

Thats a good thing though.

Earwort has become a herb that is used much much more commonly than it used to be. So it'd make sense to make more of it in game.

More places to grow earwort. More places to harvest, more earwort in the game and the mraket. All good things.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    edited March 2017
    Fire should get earwort. You're welcome, game.
  • Earwort in undervault!
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    I think the Blasted Lands would be the best fit, but sure, put earwort on Air : ^)

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Maligorn said:
    I think the Blasted Lands would be the best fit, but sure, put earwort on Air : ^)
    Airwort?