Simple Ideas

Comments

• "Offer corpses should be expanded to get corpses and add corpses to nest" is a simple idea.

If your idea involves changing mechanics or expanding on existing systems in a manner other than making it more user-friendly, I think you'd be better off making a new thread. In fact, if someone is likely to have an opinion other than "I guess" or "It doesn't do any harm" at worst, I'd probably start a new thread, so it can be discussed there.

Things like "crafting should give xp" should go to a new thread, for certain.
  • Really, as an afterthought, the difficulty of the code shouldn't decide if it is a "simple idea". Adding XP to craft would probably be a pretty easy change (addxp = # of comms used * base or something), but it has far-reaching effects and doesn't just make using the system easier, but more rewarding.

Those kinds of things probably belong in their own thread
  • Even given Eventru's definition of a simple idea I think [or at least hope based on what I've seen already IG] is a simple idea, but could it be possible to add one-way room connections in manses?

So instead of having MANSE CREATE EXIT <dir> <room> creating a mutual connection [where if you make a connection north, the room gains one back south] you could have MANSE CREATE EXIT <dir> <room> ONEWAY, where it generates an exit into that room but no path back exists. This way manse owners could make mazes [like the mirrormaze in Czigany] or quick exits like the Orgbix rooms, with multiple exits into the same room from the same direction.

Those existing already being the reason I'm thinking this is a simple idea, unless those had to be hardcoded at which point I guess I'll start a less-than-obviously-simple ideas thread >.=.>

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• Making one way exits is already possible! Here's how:

Go to Room_1.

MANSE CREATE EXIT NORTH Room_2

Go to Room_2

MANSE CREATE EXIT SOUTH Room_3

MANSE DESTROY EXIT SOUTH Room_3

You now have an exit north from Room_1 to Room_2, but no exit south from Room_2 to Room_1.

• Eventru said:
    If your idea involves changing mechanics or expanding on existing systems in a manner other than making it more user-friendly, I think you'd be better off making a new thread. 
    Meep. Alliance idea has moved here!
    1. Can there be a library in Newton, for the novices to learn more about the general lore of the game?
    2. Can Trader Bob sell low level enchants as blessings to novices, until they can afford to purchase a set of enchanted rings? (The blessings, like kingdom, mercy, last for one hour, but can show novices what each thing does as well.)
    3. Could guild admins enter Newton to help a novice out (if they are lost, or what they can do to interact. They wouldn't be able to attack other players, but just focus on helping the novice - or finish the quests for the honors title)
    4. Can there be a configuration to set a reminder on how much time you've been playing? (optional of course)
    5. The carriage that moves between the different stops, if it can sell specialty dishes from each of the denizens as a special shop (like Bob)...
    6. That said, can there be an environment skill that allows you to eat different things that you kill? It's not to counter cooking, but so novices who are starving can eat that fink tendon for a little more energy. "For a quick meal, enjoy that quinotaur steak. Won't be as tasty, but you won't starve."
    7. Due to the limit to the shop stockrooms - would it be possible to reduce the comm cost for items by a little bit?
    8. Would it be possible to test out an artifact before buying it?
    9. Can we have an option to lock a manse, meaning it won't expand so to have the in game map work for it?
    10. Or, for manse owners, just like you walk around and see you are in 7:10:12, in the manse you can see you are in manse_13? That would make it much easier to link rooms.
    11. Can we have artisans make doors?
    12. Can herbalists create bandages from the herbs, as another method to cure?
    13. Can people make a fire to scare off event mobs? Wish and wave it about then run in the opposite direction?
    14. To deal with the blow dart troll, can the skill be moved further up the skill rank - so a person can't make a character and spend his or her lessons to learn it, but need to have the lessons of a level 10 combined to learn it, or something?
    Not so simple ideas:
    1. Can people create and save their own emotes ingame, without going through making the aliases for it? Like create up to 5 emotes, and save them to be targettable or not.
    2. Back to the idea for experience, everything should grant some experience to an extent. Playing games and winning, if you spend enough time (without afk'ing on purpose), crafting, designing -> as that is a side of the game that could be expanded.
    3. If public slots can be purchased for cartels with gold, up to a maximum of 5? If that artifact for private slots can be sold, and not just in the auction, that would be nice.
    4. For achievements, can there be achievements for honors completed?
  • Sakr said:
    1. Can there be a library in Newton, for the novices to learn more about the general lore of the game?
    Yes, something akin to the way each City/Commune has their laws on pillars? A library that branches out, each having their own Collegium's books? Either readable by all, or enchant scripted to just their org.
  • 2. Enchantments on rings are in the 500-1000gp range, and newbies only really need four or five to begin with: mercy, perfection, beauty, kingdom, acquisitio. Charges are 9-15gp. It seems this change would only diminish the need for jewellers/enchanters and remove the interaction that going to a shop / meeting up with a tradesperson would offer.

6. Those who have the Nature skillset can bond to the Squirrel totem for this effect. There are a variety of skills that allow you to force someone to eat something (dominate, forcefeed, pooka) if the newbie is struggling to understand that they need to stock up on food to survive. But... I don't know. You learn through your mistakes? I wouldn't want to diminish the need for Cooks -- newbies are really the only people who depend on them. Past Circle 80 and Cooks are more or less irrelevant.

11. +1 to artisans being able to make doors. I'd like something much nicer than a reinforced steel door!

12. Curing is already very complicated. How would you propose bandages helping? Lusternia's cures are eating and smoking herbs, drinking or applying potions and salves -- other games use bandages. And really, a 'bandage' made of herbs is a salve. We have firstaid, which automatically tells us how to cure ourselves, plus auto-curing...?

----

1. Emotes have been auction items that have sold for a quazillion credits. I can see this becoming an expensive artifact or hard-to-get curio.

2. To quote Eventru: "Adding XP to craft would probably be a pretty easy change (addxp = # of comms used * base or something), but it has far-reaching effects and doesn't just make using the system easier, but more rewarding." I don't love the idea, but like my 'not so small idea', should probably be discussed in another thread!

3. Artifact ideas

4. Achievement suggestions
  • Iytha said:

Making one way exits is already possible! Here's how:

Go to Room_1.

MANSE CREATE EXIT NORTH Room_2

Go to Room_2

MANSE CREATE EXIT SOUTH Room_3

MANSE DESTROY EXIT SOUTH Room_3

You now have an exit north from Room_1 to Room_2, but no exit south from Room_2 to Room_1.

However does that allow for multiple one-way exits into a room or not?

Also doesn't quite seem like a proper implementation. I don't want to break movement [again]

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• A 'HELP GREATHUNT' file please. I had no idea how these worked at all.
  • The problem with the "give XP for crafting" exists in trades that can break down their work, regain their commodities and then make them again. Make a ring, melt it, make it again, melt it, etc. Free experience for just standing around.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • edited February 2014

• It gave to the designer, which means there's nothing limiting a jeweller to remake his own design time and time again.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • edited February 2014

• edited October 2012
    How? If you can't get xp for crafting your own design, why HAI THAR ALT ABUSE. Heck, doesn't even need to be that. Just find another jeweller friend and repeatedly make each others product.

Now, this doesn't mean I'm against xp for a submitted design. It is only the actual crafting I have an issue with. I do want and think that there should be a sort of experience bonus for approved designs, as well as published books and plays.
  • Maellio said:
    However does that allow for multiple one-way exits into a room or not?

Also doesn't quite seem like a proper implementation. I don't want to break movement [again]
    You can!
  • What about if it only works when the DESIGNER is online?
  • While that would stop alt abuse, it wouldn't stop the "get a jeweller friend and make each others design" trick. It could be stopped by not having melt give back all the commodities for jewelry/forging, but that would only put those two trades on par with the others who can't destroy their objects and get back all their commodities. And you'd still have the option to just make a lot of objects, just to have them made and give you xp.
  • I understand and agree with the above @Kiradawea but what if the amount of experience gained was akin to killing say a rat or something miniscule?
  • Make a new discussion about it, so it can be discussed properly?
  • How simple would it be to make mob attacks that afflict with blindness respect sixthsense (i.e. what you get from eating faeleaf)?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    It'd probably be easy to code, but decidedly not a "simple change". The blindness affliction is applied the same way regardless of source, so if you change it for NPCs you are also nerfing guilds that have a blindness affliction (used for stripping sixth sense).
  • I thought it worked differently if a mob gives it to you? If I eat a piece of faeleaf to get sixthsense and a mob then blinds me, it strips the sixthsense and leaves me blind.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Ssaliss said:

I thought it worked differently if a mob gives it to you? If I eat a piece of faeleaf to get sixthsense and a mob then blinds me, it strips the sixthsense and leaves me blind.

That is also how it works when a player afflicts you with blindness.
  • Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I'd love to be able to move just a little quicker. As of right now, I can move about one room maybe three quarters of a second with no movement buff, give or take my very inaccurate measuring. I can tell it's a bit slower than it was yesterday. The problem I'm having is I type directions really fast. I'm used to two rooms before "Not so hasty" pops up, but now it seems like I can't move more than a room before I see it. I could be wrong, it just feels like speed's been gagged by a little bit very recently.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited October 2012
    Sjaag said:
    Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I'd love to be able to move just a little quicker. As of right now, I can move about one room maybe three quarters of a second with no movement buff, give or take my very inaccurate measuring. I can tell it's a bit slower than it was yesterday. The problem I'm having is I type directions really fast. I'm used to two rooms before "Not so hasty" pops up, but now it seems like I can't move more than a room before I see it. I could be wrong, it just feels like speed's been gagged by a little bit very recently.
    Weather effects can hinder your movement between rooms.  If you have the ability FORECAST in environment (takes maybe 12 or 13 lessons from inept), you can use FORECAST to find out what the weather is like in a room and how much your movement speed is hindered (I think the worst I have ever gotten was around 140% slower)

For example it might say:

You forecast that:
    A gale is in full force here, threatening to blow away anything not firmly rooted.
    A few light wisps of cloud are spread high in the sky.
    It is uncomfortably hot.

You realise that your movement speed is 50% slower due to high winds and 80% slower due to high temperatures.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Thanks a bunch, I appreciate that Kagato!
  • As an aside to Kagato's explanation - if you wear appropriate clothing, the weather affects you less. Wearing smallclothes in a blizzard won't get you anywhere fast! ;)

Might be a good idea to talk to a tailor in game about warmth of clothing and such.