Simple Ideas

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Xenthos said:
    there is no balance argument against this specific suggestion simply because warriors already have it for free with their weapon attacks.
    And monks get to afflict without having to deal with the wounding RNG. Mages get to meld. The list goes on. Your point?

Just because one class is entitled to any given feature, doesn't mean everyone should get it. I'm not saying the idea is bad, I actually like it in fact, just that this rationalization is horribly flawed, regardless of how minor a feature it is.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited November 2012
    Raahl said:

Xenthos said:

there is no balance argument against this specific suggestion simply because warriors already have it for free with their weapon attacks.

And monks get to afflict without having to deal with the wounding RNG. Mages get to meld. The list goes on. Your point?

Just because one class is entitled to any given feature, doesn't mean everyone should get it. I'm not saying the idea is bad, I actually like it in fact, just that this rationalization is horribly flawed, regardless of how minor a feature it is.

Wow. Seriously?

No, this rationalization is not horribly flawed at all for the simple reason that because it is not unbalanced for one archetype to know mob health, there is no balance reason for other archetypes to not also be able to tell.

Such comparisons should *always* be made on a case-by-case basis. Giving warriors their high end afflictions in PvE without wounds screws up combat balance. For this reason, the argument would not work in that situation.

You will note that nowhere in my post did I ask for warriors to get wounding-free afflictions.

However, the mere fact that this information (note, again, information and not some form of omg superpower) is readily accessible both to warriors *as well as* those who are hunting with warriors indicates that it isn't really something that needs to be hidden away.

Sheesh.
  • edited November 2012
    Post removed for redundancy. and the removal reason removed for redundancy as well.

Seconding the idea for a 'delete post' button.
  • I'm confused as to just what the argument was over.

But I support a post delete button as well. On maybe a 1 hr timer.
  • I'm not sure we can give a delete button on a timer. I don't think it's really necessary.

Anyways. I don't see an inherent problem with it. Could just be a line on "probe" really.
  • Replace the You have been afflicted with an unknown affliction. affline message with You have been afflicted with an unknown affliction. (sensitivity, vomitting, sunallergy) where the afflictions in the parathesis are the possible afflictions that attack could have given you.

Maybe not a simple change, but it shouldn't have any wide-reaching combat effects other than making it easier to code a system based on afflines.

edited November 2012
    That sounds like a really not-simple request... you'd have to go through skill-by-skill and manually set it up, otherwise you end up with things where the subset of possible afflictions is 1 (like the current thing hitting me; every time it ticks it would say "You have been afflicted with an unknown affliction. (aeon)" because that's the only one it does).

That said, that kind of ruins the point of masking it in that case, but still.

I'm not sure that would even make coding a system based on afflines all that much easier, unless you're just telling your system to try to cure all of the possible afflictions at once?  Or is that just a request for information ("ohh, that's what that ability can do!")?
  • If the only affliction an attack can give is aeon, it should just tell you You have been afflicted with aeon. since you once you see the attack message, you know (or should know, if you have a system) that you've been aeoned.

As for the masking thing, I'm not seeing how it would hurt that at all. It's not telling you anything you couldn't already code your system to know. If you see the starlight tic message, you know you have one of those three afflictions, just not which one. Likewise for guardian ent afflictions, crone, slaugh, etc.

You'd think it should, but apparently it disagrees.

Silly aeon trying to devour me.
  • Actually, many mob-attacks (last I checked, at least) gave specific "unknown" afflictions. Would be nice if they were all changed, but might be a fair bit of work.
  • Even simplier idea:

Allow POINT <enchantment> AT <person> to work for Waterwalk, Waterbreathe, Deathsense, Acquisitio, Mercy, Kingdom, Pefection, Beauty, AvericeHorn, and so forth.

• Didn't they change Mercy, Kingdom, Perfection and Beauty to work like that already? Either way, I definitely agree with that idea. Far easier than giving your rings to a newbie.
  • They changed it for Mercy, Kingdom, Perfection and Beauty because those rings do not use any balance to rub. The others do take balance however.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Lavinya said:
    Beast accessories! Would be nice if I could craft a collar (non-arti) for my beast and a saddle for those with the mount skill. They don't have to serve any real purpose other than letting you dress them up. ie PUT COLLAR ON HYDRA; She is wearing an awesome collar of awesomeness.
    Or fakewings! Fakehorns! Faketails! The list goes on and on...
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I wish there was a way to pray to important mobs like Night. We have these guild defining beings that we're supposed to speak for but it gets awkward because we don't actually see or communicate with them anymore than anyone else. We don't ever actually get to interact with them,

perhaps a gpray that ICly went to your spirit/lord/whatever, and oocly routed to your Patron so that the interaction could be worked out through there.

It's just really awkward that we get a prophesy from Night...then we don't ever hear from her again. And we have no real way, even though a whole guild is dedicated to her, to communicate with her. Makes being the IC representatives of something so important a little awkward.
  • edited November 2012
    Would it be possible to make POWERS CHOICES <WHATEVER> available, even if you haven't bought the power yet? I don't think I would have bought enter/exit and look if I knew there were no BT / Vira messages... but I had to buy them to find out.
    Can POWERS LIST look differently, please? Can we have different tables for Ephemeral, Supernumerary, and Possible Powers?

******************************[ Ephemeral Powers ]******************************
    Name Weight Cost
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Expand 3 400,000
    *******************************************************************************

******************************[ Supernumerary Powers ]******************************
    Name Weight Cost
    Shrink 3 400,000

******************************[ Possible Powers ]******************************
    Name Weight Cost
    Something 3 400,000

Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Celina said:
    I wish there was a way to pray to important mobs like Night. We have these guild defining beings that we're supposed to speak for but it gets awkward because we don't actually see or communicate with them anymore than anyone else. We don't ever actually get to interact with them,

perhaps a gpray that ICly went to your spirit/lord/whatever, and oocly routed to your Patron so that the interaction could be worked out through there.

It's just really awkward that we get a prophesy from Night...then we don't ever hear from her again. And we have no real way, even though a whole guild is dedicated to her, to communicate with her. Makes being the IC representatives of something so important a little awkward.
    You always have the option of going to her Avatars.

Not to say they'll answer, but pestering them a few times and looking for a response is probably just as likely to garner one as a gpray (or even more likely, since other Glomdoring patrons will see it occur, or general admin who are running an event if one is ongoing, etc).
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited November 2012
    Not sure if this was suggested already or not, but I was wondering if maybe we could just allow everyone in the commune to see the powerlogs? There's no real reason to hide it from people and just means that aides keep getting tells asking for details from those logs. If there's a competition or someone's working on a certain guild requirement, sometimes they ask you to tell them information from several days ago that takes a lot of time to go through and tell.

Also, for the purposes of power competitions, is it possible we can get a concise breakdown of bards, scholars and pixies brought in so that we don't have to go through the logs and count them up per person?
    You can at least do a script to count up bards & scholars; this was the solution put in when we were asking for a way to count the number collected by individuals (previously they did not show in logs at all).

If there were ways to get a summary split up by person, utilizing a keyword, that would be pretty nice. For example, POWERLOG 0 SUMMARY BARD would build a summary of just entries containing BARD. However, it can be manually coded without a huge amount of effort as well, so it's a matter of how much time / resources it would take to plug into Rapture.

I am fine with anyone being able to check the powerlogs, too. Aides would be more for unblocking purposes, and there would not need to be as many.

I would also like everyone, regardless of power-aide status, to be able to get the complete construct information status. What's the point of hiding it away and giving non-aides access only to the summary?
  • Xenthos said:
    I would also like everyone, regardless of power-aide status, to be able to get the complete construct information status. What's the point of hiding it away and giving non-aides access only to the summary?
    Wasn't even aware that was a thing. Agreed!
  • edited November 2012
    A simple way for those with skill-based cures to have FIRSTAID prefer the use of those over alternate methods:

FIRSTAID REPLACECURE <affliction> <action>

ex. (in the case of someone with soap to replace the default RUB or CAST CLEANSE)
    FIRSTAID REPLACECURE ECTOPLASM SCRUB

ex. (in the case of an acrobat to replace the default STAND)
    FIRSTAID REPLACECURE SPRAWLED SPRINGUP

To remove whatever the current curing method is, and instead use the replacement method.

This would of course needed to be accompanied by:

FIRSTAID RESETCURES [<affliction>]

To reset cure methods to the default.
    Can beepbeep toys work such that if we use "??" or "!!"  they ask or exclaim instead of the generic say? :)

#bringShikariback 

• Allow us to rub/expend ikons we aren't using, even if it's just for experience/essence. Yes, I know we can devour them, and that's not what I'm wanting it for.

Maybe allow us to trade in ikons for prizes, IE 5 common nets you something, 5 rare nets you something better.
  • Sell them?
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Eventru said:
    Celina said:

You always have the option of going to her Avatars.

Not to say they'll answer, but pestering them a few times and looking for a response is probably just as likely to garner one as a gpray (or even more likely, since other Glomdoring patrons will see it occur, or general admin who are running an event if one is ongoing, etc).

Ooooh. I did not know talking to avatars flagged the admin. Well that works too.
  • Doesn't talking to any mobs send a message to the Divine?
  • Ssaliss said:
    Doesn't talking to any mobs send a message to the Divine?
    If we choose to listen. Some of us turn it off, because it can be really spammy.