Promotional Crates!

Because some people have expressed disappointment in crates with curios in them (and coins but no one seems to complain about those), I'm wondering if there's something else people would be interested to see within those crates? The month isn't up so it's not too late!

Crates should contain something not found in-game (i.e., existing artifacts) and make sense that you would want more than just one (i.e., something(s) that you'd want either multiples of).

Comments

• While I know you can get them IG however - maybe have a group of new ikons (maybe some holiday themed set.) I'm not sure how well Ikons are used beyond eating them for the exp boost and the 5 ish people that actually play psychodrama. So this is probably a horrible idea.

For non-artifacty things - goop could nice to have.
  • Ikons are rather complicated to create new sets so that probably wouldn't be doable this month.

So one idea for goop crates... anything else?
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Old promotional curios instead of the marionettes. Genie pieces, and any others that have relevant combat effects but are hard to access at this point. I think the problem isn't so much with them being curios in general as it is with them being a new set that people are less interested in.  This might help some of the newer people catch up on buffs until that gets dealt with, too.

Aethergoop.

Personally I'd even like to see gnewpies in there, but I doubt many other people would be excited to see them.

Summary of above: I'd like to see old promotional items.

Lips! When in doubt, I don't think giving the gift of nice but kind of overpriced consumable artifacts can ever lead you astray.

Ikons, maybe with a bias towards eternals and/or high rarities. Maybe bonus odds of vernal/soulless over other sets too since those strike me as being harder to farm. I dunno how much other people care about ikons, but they're my favorite collectible thing, and the people who don't care about collecting can just consume them.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Ayisdra said:
    While I know you can get them IG however - maybe have a group of new ikons (maybe some holiday themed set.) I'm not sure how well Ikons are used beyond eating them for the exp boost and the 5 ish people that actually play psychodrama. So this is probably a horrible idea.

For non-artifacty things - goop could nice to have.
    Goop and coins would have been nice. I'd like to get a couple more goop items. I'd generally like to invest in a couple more artifacts too, so the possibility of expanding the goop choices to include more reskins would likely be welcome too, whether it be for buying straight with credits and converting via goop or buying with full-on goop.

I know @Vivet has been trying to assemble a toy curio to give me (Because I kept complaining that I'd like to have it) for ages, too... some kind of item that allows people with curios that are missing a piece or two to complete them would be nice. Perhaps make it work only on the classic toy curios rather than stuff that is more recent. Not sure how feasible that would be.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde

Estarra said:

Crates should contain something not found in-game (i.e., existing artifacts) and make sense that you would want more than just one (i.e., something(s) that you'd want either multiples of).
    Do you mean we should be coming up with ideas for what new arti-things could be in there, or something from the existing system that's not an artifact?

For the latter: dingbats, aethergoop.

Also, I wouldn't mind it if we could get a chance for us not-oldbies to get a stocking but only by gifting one to another person, max one per person. You buy a stocking, the stocking isn't bound to you, and is only bound to the person you give it to if they don't have one already they received. If they did, they have to give it to someone else (it can't be the purchaser).
    Estarra said:
    Ikons are rather complicated to create new sets so that probably wouldn't be doable this month.

You should keep a limited ikon set in mind for a future promotion, at least. It'd be a good one to match up with a daily quest like we have now; get one ikon per day with the quest (capped at 1/day to make sure everyone gets a shot at doing the quest instead of a few people monopolizing it) and when you do the full 21 days you get either a special ikon, a pack of the new set, or maybe you just get to pick a few to make sure that if there's one in the set that you really like you can get it.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Everyone loves getting presents (though removing the present counter would make them even nicer), honestly I am the -most- likely to buy credits when we get a present for every 10 credits bought. Also aethergoop. No one complains about coins, but no one buys the crates for the coins, since the wheel rarely gives much of anything worthwhile anymore. It's more a fluff bonus to the person buying pieces.

• Why would removing the present counter be nicer? The more you open, the better your odds of getting something good!
  • I suspect it's just because of how good your chances were to get something awesome before the counter even existed.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • edited December 2014
    Estarra said:
    Why would removing the present counter be nicer? The more you open, the better your odds of getting something good!
    Isn't this how the present counter already works? I personally love being able to see the percent chances I have for each type of present.

Edit: Today is not a good day for me and being able to read things.
  • It really would depend on what level the non-counted presents would be at. If standard, then yeah, the counter is vastly preferred. If superior, then odds are it'd be roughly equal. If over that, then it would be better to remove the counter.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Estarra said:

Why would removing the present counter be nicer? The more you open, the better your odds of getting something good!

Not to sound like the fat, chocolate-smeared kid over in the corner screaming "I want it noooooowww", but while opening presents, you're inundated with present upon present of random herbs, reagents, comms, dolls that are really just tradein fodder and other stuff that we don't want. It floods the market with handfuls of stuff, as well as gold. Yeah, you may very well open a present with a prism or a paintbrush after about 85 presents, but chances are you'll just get an emerald rockeater's maw and be disappointed. Maybe I'm just selfish.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    edited December 2014
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying every present should have an artifact in it. But I can promise you that a novice who pulls a paintbrush from a present and all of a sudden has this windfall dumped in his lap is more likely to find a reason to stick around than a newbie who pulls 4k gold and a handful of marjoram, with the promise of "something amazing" after 50 more presents.
    Lavinya said:

Everyone loves getting presents (though removing the present counter would make them even nicer), honestly I am the -most- likely to buy credits when we get a present for every 10 credits bought. Also aethergoop. No one complains about coins, but no one buys the crates for the coins, since the wheel rarely gives much of anything worthwhile anymore. It's more a fluff bonus to the person buying pieces.

Aaactually, that's about 90% of the reason I buy those 4.99 packs: spins on the wheel.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I don't think bribing every newbie with an artifact is really the way to go.
  • Shaddus just clearly stated that not every present should have an artifact in it.

It's the Fing wheel that broke presents, when the curios were giving everyone and her mother endless coins. Not the presents themselves.

There was nothing wrong with presents before that.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
    Saesh said:

I don't think bribing every newbie with an artifact is really the way to go.

Shaddus said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying every present should have an artifact in it.

IJS.

I just think the occasional windfall is nice, as opposed to where you have to open dozens to get anything meaningful. Or better yet, make the present counter universal. We all share one, don't let us see it so nobody will game it, and have it hand out something nifty every 25 - presents opened by people.

Look at the old posts where people talked about what they got, or saw someone get. Look at what we have now.
  • Shaddus said:
     But I can promise you that a novice who pulls a paintbrush from a present and all of a sudden has this windfall dumped in his lap is more likely to find a reason to stick around than a newbie who pulls 4k gold and a handful of marjoram, with the promise of "something amazing" after 50 more presents.

I read your posts, no need to quote it back to me! But you did state, rather explicitly, that a way to keep novices around is giving them artifacts.
    Rather than taking this off on a tangent and being pedantic about one part of my post, let's keep it on track and come up with ideas :)

What do you think would be a good thing to have in crates, Saesh?
  • Saesh said:
    Goop appears to be very popular among the circles I run in, I would love to see more variety in artifact descriptions.

Random idea, but maybe even a chance for a goop ticket that lets you make your own description. Reduced price/free customization! How fun!
    I would love this goop ticket idea, if it allows me to also change the base noun (like some of the reskins too.). More so if I can change the third person message (like the nose reskins)
    edited December 2014
    Saesh said:

Random idea, but maybe even a chance for a goop ticket that lets you make your own description. Reduced price/free customization! How fun!
    Not only yes, but hells yes. Customisation tickets randomly inserted into crates, or maybe artifact discount vouchers, or tokens to buy emotes. You know darn well emotes don't take that long to make.

Imperian has a system where you can customize things ingame and submit it, and a divine ends up looking at it and applying it in a day or two if it's accepted. I'm not sure how hard this would be to institute, but people would use it.
    -----

Other ideas: items like curios that are 3-5 pieces, that change things the demigod powers do. For instance, an anklet for each of the orgs plus a handful of neutral ones. Each anklet takes 3-5 specific pieces for each anklet, (for instance, a bell, a chain ,and a clasp), and it gives you an enter/exit msg like demigods can purchase. Customisable shouts, tells, an occasional ambiance, and so on.
    ----
    Items that let you customise your guild mobs. If it dies, just summon another and use the item to apply it again. Must keep the base noun (retriever, angel, whatever) when customized.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Estarra said:
    Okay, we've released special solstice crates (per the announce) which has one of the following in them: 50 aethergroup OR 50 dingbats OR 50 Czigany coins OR 15 presents.

Hope that'll make your holidays cheerier!

BTW, for those who were concerned about the sugar plum event, that was just a one day event to release Crumkane in a fashion consistent with his persona (i.e., he got all the solstice gnomes drunk until they passed out). We didn't think anyone would mind a day of free marionette curio pieces but one can never suspect how players will react! Anyway, now that the solstice gnomes (and Crumkane!) are awake, the gnomes are giving out presents as per usual!
    Can we make these crates purchasable in game as well?

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Estarra said:

BTW, for those who were concerned about the sugar plum event, that was just a one day event to release Crumkane in a fashion consistent with his persona (i.e., he got all the solstice gnomes drunk until they passed out). We didn't think anyone would mind a day of free marionette curio pieces but one can never suspect how players will react! Anyway, now that the solstice gnomes (and Crumkane!) are awake, the gnomes are giving out presents as per usual!
    None of us knew it was going to be a one day thing. I think we assumed it was going to be a week(or more) long event. Not to mention I don't think anyone knew that Crumkane got a new player (at least that is how I'm reading this statement).
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Love the new crate idea!

Clarify: Equal chance of each option, or is it weighted towards some over others?

Also seconding making these available in game for credits, either at $20 worth of credits per crate or at some slightly worse rate to encourage buying them with money over splurging with our secret credit stashes.
  • Estarra said:
    Okay, we've released special solstice crates (per the announce) which has one of the following in them: 50 aethergroup OR 50 dingbats OR 50 Czigany coins OR 15 presents.

Innnnteresting. I'll consider.

In the mean time, the 5 pack is more expensive than 5 individuals by 4 cents, unless I'm missing something. Can we get a little discount instead? :D
  • Yeah, it was all mainly us being terrified that the normal gnomes had been entirely replaced by these new gnomes, and just to get another disappointment towards our previous expectations for christmas events, the rewards were going to be just curio bits instead of the normal presents.

These crates are great, good things to draw from them.
  • Okay, okay, I changed the 5 crate to 98.99!

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    added the ability to purchase in game?!

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.