How Exactly Does Tailoring Work?

I had a quick (?) question about tailoring I've been unable to find the answer to. I'm attempting to make/obtain Great Robes with a 44/44 split, however, I can't figure out how the resist stats of the Great Robes are determined. I purchased a set of great robes that has 12/12, and I also have a bit past making great robes in the tailoring skill.

Is there a way to improve the 12/12 set of robes resists?

If not, when making a new set of robes, how do I determine what the resists will be? Or is it completely random and I just need to keep making them until I hit one with the correct stats?

Comments

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Great robes all have a base of 12/12 when they are sewn. To improve the stats, you need to have them enchanted. The stats are completely random by the way and can't be altered. You will do better than 44/44 on them (50/50 is about average for standard greatrobes).

• Lavinya said:
    Great robes all have a base of 12/12 when they are sewn. To improve the stats, you need to have them enchanted. The stats are completely random by the way and can't be altered. You will do better than 44/44 on them (50/50 is about average for standard greatrobes).
    Aha! No wonder I can't figure it out. Thank you!
  • What's the cap on trans tailoring robes? 70/70? 60/60?

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • There is no cap really. Well, technically there is one, but it's absurdly high. How it works:

Robes are 12/12 when they're made.

During the enchantment process, one of the stats increase by either 0, 1, 2 or 4 each tick (I think, it's been a long while since I played around with it). I think there's something like 50'ish ticks, so the max stat for one would be ~200. Granted, the odds of that is slim at best.
  • Yeah, if you want the best balanced splendours, you're going to be looking at 70/70+. Usually not going to get better than that though. Think the best set I had was 72/74, after many hours of trying.

Even then, for the most part, your finished splendours will still better than standard great robes (even if they're not the best splendours).

But if you've got the time and the resources, no reason not to reach for the stars.