Ascension 2015

Comments

• Ssaliss said:

This year was more exciting than the previous two years though, at least from an outside point of view. Sidd won by holding the staff from start to finish, never even dropped it once. Morkarion dropped the staff once, I believe, but he was the only one with his hands on it. This time it shifted between Kelly, Ixion and Malarious, so there was at least some action.

and @Xena!
                                                                  Sao <3 Pandy
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Ooo, never thought of that... naming convention for males and a separate one for females. I suppose we have to have another female TA to find out (ie, the next female ascendant better darn well set a precedent!)
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Marmanyin.
  • Sounds like lag wasn't solved this year too, huh. I would've been there, but new year with the folks is more important, and since there's no permanent Gpenting this year, there won't have been much for me to do anyway. 

Staticfield is pretty ridiculous, that much is true, I suppose. Maybe get rid of the room-entry part, and let it continue to throw out people who hit the staticfield guy. That'll make it be better. In return, make it deal strong damage and give epilepsy or something.

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Lerad said:

Sounds like lag wasn't solved this year too, huh. I would've been there, but new year with the folks is more important, and since there's no permanent Gpenting this year, there won't have been much for me to do anyway. 

Staticfield is pretty ridiculous, that much is true, I suppose. Maybe get rid of the room-entry part, and let it continue to throw out people who hit the staticfield guy. That'll make it be better. In return, make it deal strong damage and give epilepsy or something.
    Then it would never be used. The worst bit about static field is when someone we're killing hits me and gets luckily static-ed out. Its best feature is the ability to throw enemies out on entry. If that goes, well... might as well delete Aerochem.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    So when is that dirty ol' fish @Kelly (<3) going to have to change her forums profile?
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Welcome to everyone else's chem ult. The majority of them only take effect when you yourself are hit, and do something far south of move and stun them (or even stun them). Some of WW's are pretty situationally strong (Fawn and Badger, for 1v1s and small groups mostly), but we're talking... 15% chance for a charybdon hit (shruggable) for some of the effects.
  • Elanorwen said:

Lerad said:

Sounds like lag wasn't solved this year too, huh. I would've been there, but new year with the folks is more important, and since there's no permanent Gpenting this year, there won't have been much for me to do anyway. 

Then it would never be used. The worst bit about static field is when someone we're killing hits me and gets luckily static-ed out. Its best feature is the ability to throw enemies out on entry. If that goes, well... might as well delete Aerochem.
    Not necessarily. Right now, its primary use, and major advantage, is indeed to act as a different, novel form of a Great Pentagram, affecting large scale battles as a utility ability rather than as a combat ability. It's mechanics and design certainly isn't meant for 1v1, that's true. Even without my suggestion, you wouldn't use it in a 1v1 unless you're trying to escape/run, in which case lowmagic serpent is arguably better.

However, being used as a different version, but similar ability to, GPent has several implications, especially when it can be used on top of GPent. We have a precedent for arguing against this ability being used this way, because GPent was changed precisely because it could be stacked on itself. And if StaticField can be stacked on GPent to a similar effect, that alone is grounds enough to change it. Putting it on the same room cooldown as GPent (no StaticField if GPent cannot be put up) is already a logical and strong argument based on that line of reasoning alone.

However, I personally feel it will be more useful as a Serpent alternative than as a GPent alternative. Serpent keeps you alive, no questions asked, but it makes it impossible for you to kill someone at the same time as well. My suggestion actually allows a StaticField user to continue attacking a different target while fending off other people attacking. It would be great if you're the primary target in a team fight... and still need to be able to attack in order to be useful. It will, in turn, lose a great deal of its fear-aura effect, of course, which is the indiscriminate dislocation and disorientation of enemy groups. Unfortunate, of course, but if it's stacking too well with GPent, then it needs to be changed anyway. Additionally, given that aerochemists can't take lowmagic for serpent, I know I'd jump at the chance for a serpent alternate if it's offered to me. But hey, if you prefer to just nerf it in regards to GPent (the no staticfield if GPent cooldown is active in the room suggestion) I think that's a pretty good idea too (tooting my own horn).

• Marcella said:

Marmanyin.

Marlinmanyin
    Lerad said:

Elanorwen said:

Lerad said:

Not necessarily. Right now, its primary use, and major advantage, is indeed to act as a different, novel form of a Great Pentagram, affecting large scale battles as a utility ability rather than as a combat ability. It's mechanics and design certainly isn't meant for 1v1, that's true. Even without my suggestion, you wouldn't use it in a 1v1 unless you're trying to escape/run, in which case lowmagic serpent is arguably better.

However, being used as a different version, but similar ability to, GPent has several implications, especially when it can be used on top of GPent. We have a precedent for arguing against this ability being used this way, because GPent was changed precisely because it could be stacked on itself. And if StaticField can be stacked on GPent to a similar effect, that alone is grounds enough to change it. Putting it on the same room cooldown as GPent (no StaticField if GPent cannot be put up) is already a logical and strong argument based on that line of reasoning alone.

However, I personally feel it will be more useful as a Serpent alternative than as a GPent alternative. Serpent keeps you alive, no questions asked, but it makes it impossible for you to kill someone at the same time as well. My suggestion actually allows a StaticField user to continue attacking a different target while fending off other people attacking. It would be great if you're the primary target in a team fight... and still need to be able to attack in order to be useful. It will, in turn, lose a great deal of its fear-aura effect, of course, which is the indiscriminate dislocation and disorientation of enemy groups. Unfortunate, of course, but if it's stacking too well with GPent, then it needs to be changed anyway. Additionally, given that aerochemists can't take lowmagic for serpent, I know I'd jump at the chance for a serpent alternate if it's offered to me. But hey, if you prefer to just nerf it in regards to GPent (the no staticfield if GPent cooldown is active in the room suggestion) I think that's a pretty good idea too (tooting my own horn).
    Uhhhh.... considering static field has a 1 hour cooldown, I doubt you'll find anyone to agree to such a recommendation. Beyond that.... let's not comment on the whole concept of a serpent iteration. Sure, give me no summon resistance static field, we'll talk. There are ways to counter the ability... and one way that you can make it completely useless. Just because nobody has decided to try it or figured out how... or even bothered to ask how doesn't mean the ability is overpowered.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    How can you make it completely useless?

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Synkarin said:

How can you make it completely useless?

You mean beside the part where you make it on-hit reactive? Nobody will use it. Right now, it even triggers off freaking phantom armour. At best, it will be activated when there's a couple of people left. Otherwise, aerochem doesn't really present enough of a threat to be focused first and thus end up splitting an enemy group. And yes, it can be harmful to the allied group if active at the wrong point in time too.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Elanorwen said:

Elanorwen said:

Lerad said:

Uhhhh.... considering static field has a 1 hour cooldown, I doubt you'll find anyone to agree to such a recommendation. Beyond that.... let's not comment on the whole concept of a serpent iteration. Sure, give me no summon resistance static field, we'll talk. There are ways to counter the ability... and one way that you can make it completely useless. Just because nobody has decided to try it or figured out how... or even bothered to ask how doesn't mean the ability is overpowered.

This is what I'm refering to, you said nobody asked, so I'm asking.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • A simple domination ability at the wrong time will completely discharge the static field, and you can't reraise it until the hour timer you set when raising it is up.

• edited February 2015
    If anything makes it a problem (note that no one mentioned overpowered), it would be that it stacks too well with GPent, which was the very reason that GPent was changed in the first place. Just because there is a counter to it... doesn't change the fact it can be stacked, and if the stacking results in the same problem that rationalized the GPent change, then it similarly calls for a StaticField change.

So my suggestions are bad...? Then improve on them. I don't see why we shouldn't talk about a serpent iteration. Why, does it overpower aerochems? Or are aerochems not high priority enough for you? Don't do a serpent iteration, then. Just make it unstackable with GPent by making it have no effect during the GPent cooldown period. Tada, problem solved. Not my problem if you don't want to wrangle for something useful in return for the nerf.

• Lerad, chill. We, or at least -I- am in fact thinking of Static field changes. I made that clear on Envoys when you weren't around.

Lerad said:

If anything makes it a problem (note that no one mentioned overpowered), it would be that it stacks too well with GPent, which was the very reason that GPent was changed in the first place. Just because there is a counter to it... doesn't change the fact it can be stacked, and if the stacking results in the same problem that rationalized the GPent change, then it similarly calls for a StaticField change.

So my suggestions are bad...? Then improve on them. I don't see why we shouldn't talk about a serpent iteration. Why, does it overpower aerochems? Or are aerochems not high priority enough for you? Don't do a serpent iteration, then. Just make it unstackable with GPent by making it have no effect during the GPent cooldown period. Tada, problem solved. Not my problem if you don't want to wrangle for something useful in return for the nerf.

I'm saying that it will be completely and utterly useless if it's done in a fashion to be a sort-of serpent skill. I tried bugging it once... the fact that it triggers off me attacking someone, hitting phantom armour and the phantom armour backlash triggering static field... which is as stupid as things get, but was told that it wasn't a bug so eh. Nowhere did I say it was overpowered, heh.

• Huh. I thought it might have had something to do with the Hamadhi.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Wish I could have taken part. No one thought to kick Nikk out of the Celenfax clan, so I got the awesome fun of seeing it from the perspective of both sides. And yes, despite the fact that I had just jumped to Mag, I totally wanted Kelly to win, and so didn't tell anyone I had info on the other side. Yay! Long live Princess Kaimanahi!

(Oh, and don't worry, I've quit the clan now.)

• Elanorwen said:

Lerad said:

Lol
  • I really don't want to get involved in this, but I guess I'll dip a toe into the turbulent waters of Arcanis butthurt.

I think static can be OP when properly used.  I definitely don't want it deleted because it's awesome for us. You guys have some awesome stuff too, but when ecto goes, and if heko ever goes, I do think the north will have the advantage in great group abilities.  Personally I think static is less OP than pfarewell though.

Static isn't why the North won this ascension at all.  To say so is dismissive of so many people and ridiculous.

You're ridiculous dog!
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • Kelly said:

Oh, I'm also terrible at names, so I begged for help (and had to sort through all sorts of troll suggestions). But the brilliant @Chakraja suggested the name. According to her: From Hawaiian kai "ocean, sea" and mana "power". It is also Hawaiian meaning "diamond", derived from the English word diamo.

The -ahi is a common merian name ending, and that's that!
    Kai is also Maori for 'Food', just FYI ;)
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • Maybe she took that 'Fatniss' remark to heart...
  • Sakaki said:

Kelly said:

Oh, I'm also terrible at names, so I begged for help (and had to sort through all sorts of troll suggestions). But the brilliant @Chakraja suggested the name. According to her: From Hawaiian kai "ocean, sea" and mana "power". It is also Hawaiian meaning "diamond", derived from the English word diamo.

The -ahi is a common merian name ending, and that's that!
    Kai is also Maori for 'Food', just FYI ;)
    I'm going to be calling her Kaimoana from now on
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Staticfield is about as excellent as brumetower is to me.

It's all right until you face that one niche situation / event, then it gets real good real fast, i.e. events where you need to sit tight.

With that said, there has been precedent that strong fortress-like abilities have gotten downgrades to make it more fair in groups (GP cooldown, no war shrines, traps radius reduction, etc), but I am pretty sure that excluding certain abilities while other abilities are activated make for a very inelegant solution.

Maybe we can figure out an answer after the overhaul is done, we have another year until this comes up again now!

P.S. hekoskeri is about as much of a group ability as any ent is.
  • Interesting points.  I do hope that a strong eye is kept on the group combat implications throughout and after the overhaul.

Also, the more I think about it (in groups) heko isn't as strong as many other things, but it makes tumbling or attacking very -very- dangerous for whoever the primary target is.  I would say it's head and shoulders above any other ent, but not necessarily better than what certain kits get for group combat.

Anyway, I'll leave my comments at that and nothing more.  I really enjoyed the ascension, killing and dying (mostly dying) are what I enjoy most about Lusternia. I'll reiterate my congratulations to Kelly.  With a thank you note like that, how can you not be happy for her!?  I just hope she doesn't go inactive now that she's such a mean beefcake.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.