Simple questions?

Comments

• edited December 2017
    Does prestige scale indefinitely as you have more stuff, or is it tied to the levels in SHOW PRESTIGE/STAT?
    Also, if it is capped at 'like royalty', do things like the prestige bonus from peppermint hat still boost your influencing?
  • Kali said:
    Does prestige scale indefinitely as you have more stuff, or is it tied to the levels in SHOW PRESTIGE/STAT?
    Also, if it is capped at 'like royalty', do things like the prestige bonus from peppermint hat still boost your influencing?
    There's two levels of prestige: Clothing, and effect. Technically, the former is a type of the latter, but this is what players are shown. This does not scale infinitely. Effect does scale as high as you can get it however, clothing is just added to it (first step). In the case of charity, subtracted, so it's all normalised so further effects don't have to do weird maths based on type.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • Re: Signature stuff, everything looks correct as far as I can see and you should be able to set a signature/set images. I will have yet another talk with the folks upstairs about the forums after the holidays calm down.
  • How do you get avaricehorn?
  • Anita said:
    How do you get avaricehorn?
    Artisan makes the horn, tinkerer (bard enchanting spec) enchants it. If you can't find it in a shop that is (search for horn).
  • Ianir said:
    Anita said:
    How do you get avaricehorn?
    Artisan makes the horn, tinkerer (bard enchanting spec) enchants it. If you can't find it in a shop that is (search for horn).
    Hmm. Maybe the Wiki isn't updated with the skill then - thanks!
  • If you have a map/snowglobe, is it important to also have a dingbat nose? I understand you can track room/location and set up on auto-follow on the former, too?
  • They both do similar but different tasks.

The nose lets you scent the local area, see where an enemy and ally is without using balance. Great for chasing or getting to a battle or allies etc. It has a flaw in that areas that look alike it gives the room name so you cant always pin point the exact location someone is in.

Thats where the snowglobe comes into use. It can scry anyone at range, not just the area, and say exactly where they are in a room. It takes balance so can be tricky cause you could be chasing someone who has moved by the time you get there but you get the general idea.

Both are sort of useful in different ways.
  • Naevari said:
    If you have a map/snowglobe, is it important to also have a dingbat nose? I understand you can track room/location and set up on auto-follow on the former, too?
    Map does not show you everyone in the area, like a nose can. Map also takes eq, and it can trigger mindfield (throwing you off eq) unlike nose, which has no bal/eq cost. So, nose is much faster. Nose fails for rooms that all have the same name (Thanks, Starry Sea) where map works better.
  • Are there any IC explanations for why we're able to stand on clouds like in Clarramore or the cloud confluence in Lirangsha without any special help? I've wondered this since I started playing the game years ago. If it's just "magic", I'll take that.

• Solid air.
  • Lusternian clouds are unusually dense.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited December 2017
    Arkh said:
    Solid air.
    I will say solid air is something else; someone wrote a scholarly book on it even. Hallifax likes to use it in its architecture, basically super compressed air with a power source to keep it compressed. Most notable use is the ceiling in the Board of Directors' room.

• Maligorn said:
    Arkh said:
    Solid air.
    I will say solid air is something else; someone wrote a scholarly book on it even. Hallifax likes to use it in its architecture, basically super compressed air with a power source to keep it compressed. Most notable use is the ceiling in the Board of Directors' room.
    Solid air wrapped in mists?
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Can security brand people enemies to planes (Earth, Nil, etc.)? What's the syntax?
  • Mrak said:
    Can security brand people enemies to planes (Earth, Nil, etc.)? What's the syntax?
    I sure hope not.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited January 2018
    Nope.  Can set fines/forgive it, but can't brand it.  Branding against the elemental/cosmic planes used to be specific to the associated guilds (Aquamancers for Water, Celestines for Celestia, Geomancers for Earth, etc) but with the old guilds going poof, they never  transferred them.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Even in the past you couldn't brand someone an enemy. You just got branded when you killed something.
  • I'm no lore buff, but would that even make sense? I mean, do the settlements 'control' the planes in the sense of being able to tell its denizens what to do? Seems to me there's a big difference between giving the guards in your city (whose wages you're paying, right?) shoot-to-kill orders for Unwanted Person X, and being able to give the same instruction to the dwellers on a plane that you're (just) aetherically aligned with.
  • We protect the elemental lords so they probably owe us some kind of mutual deal.
  • Dys said:
    We protect the elemental lords so they probably owe us some kind of mutual deal.
    I always assumed that that is how we do elemental magic?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Tirah said:
    Dys said:
    We protect the elemental lords so they probably owe us some kind of mutual deal.
    Don't think so.  My understanding is that they are basically reflections of aspects of those who have traveled the planes / spent a great deal of time there.  They are connected to the Dreaming too (hence the Sands)-- keep in mind that they did not even exist when the game first opened (they showed up with Dreamweaving).

I mean, Hallifax doesn't care about their lords to the extent that they took their fifth and *communication terminated*.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Tirah said:
    Dys said:
    My understanding is that Elemental 'feats', like the big stuff, is done because the elemental planes provide mages with a link to the respective plane to draw from at will and the elemental lords can willingly sever that link if they chose so ( they've done so before, e. g. Celest's guild to faction thingie ), so kind of it's what we're getting out of the deal, you could argue.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Veyils said:
    Even in the past you couldn't brand someone an enemy. You just got branded when you killed something.
    Not true, the associated guilds could brand someone an enemy to their planes - or at least, the Moondancers and Hartstone could to MoonSpirit and Hart
  • (I really hope the Godmin won't take this as a eff-you, it's a genuine question about what looks on the surface to be a really neat promo - ESPECIALLY when you consider how well it synergises with the credit/present promo)

Q: Why are the resolutions worth 100 credits?
    Q: Why are they so popular - they look extremely niche (e.g., someone who has a day a week for the next year to spend doing X).
    Q: Why does the crafting one give an ego bonus? All the others clearly relate to what you're doing. Wouldn't a power bonus make more sense?

What am I missing? 
  • Versalean said:
    (I really hope the Godmin won't take this as a eff-you, it's a genuine question about what looks on the surface to be a really neat promo - ESPECIALLY when you consider how well it synergises with the credit/present promo)

Q: Why are the resolutions worth 100 credits?
    Q: Why are they so popular - they look extremely niche (e.g., someone who has a day a week for the next year to spend doing X).
    Q: Why does the crafting one give an ego bonus? All the others clearly relate to what you're doing. Wouldn't a power bonus make more sense?

What am I missing? 
    Because that was the price set last year.
    The buffs are outside the normal bodyscan system, this alone will make them popular in that regards.
    Because crafted items are Beauty related?

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Veyils said:
    Even in the past you couldn't brand someone an enemy. You just got branded when you killed something.
    Celestines were definitely able to brand against Celestia.  We had two separate commands, one for the guild, one for the associated plane.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • I remember no aquamancer being able to enemy me to water at all. Maybe just the elemental planes had this?
  • Anyone have a clue if ascension dates are going to be posted soon? Having to reserve several unknown potential weekends is not ideal.

• Veyils said:
    I remember no aquamancer being able to enemy me to water at all. Maybe just the elemental planes had this?
    Aquamancers had issues with active GC and Security members. There was definitely a syntax to brand people enemies to Wind Lords. Was necessary, because otherwise you wouldn't have the same restrictions as you should in an enemy territory (i.e. slower bix travel).

Luckily, now that enemy statuses have been consolidated, you can be enemied to the parent org and be properly hindranced in all their relevant territories.