How to Alt?

QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
So I'm putting Qistrel into semi-retirement because I'm not having fun playing her. Basically, I don't like Seren politics these days, and I can no longer go hide in Icewynd all day and ignore it.

Which means I'm trying out alts. I kind of want to play a monk, because I played a Tahtetso a while back, and I enjoyed the kata skills and tattoo stuff. But I didn't like the whole lumosis thing, it's just not for me. Which leaves the illithoid guilds, Nekotai or Ninjakari. Nekotai sound fun, but I hear Glom is dead these days. :(  I tried out a Ninjakari, but I asked so many questions that people started looking at me oddly, and I got worried they'd behead me for insolence or something. Mags are scary.

Gaudigach seems a fun place. But they don't have monks, and I'm told they've recently become more snuggly that Seren. (Seriously, sometimes I wish Ackleberry would come back just so I don't have to deal with people licking me all the time.)

So anyone have a good suggestion?

Also, how do I deal with helpful novice helpers? Should I just say 'Hey, I'm trying this out, so I may not actually stick around, please don't give me free stuff or anything, but can I ask you a bajillion questions?'

Comments

• Mag. Seriously. There are lots of novice friendly players, I can think of six in the Caco and Nihilists off the top of my head. If you want to go ooc and say you are trying things out, I personally would find that refreshing but that my opinion. Asking questions SHOULD be welcomed. You are a novice to that guild and playstyle.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Qistrel said:

Also, how do I deal with helpful novice helpers? Should I just say 'Hey, I'm trying this out, so I may not actually stick around, please don't give me free stuff or anything, but can I ask you a bajillion questions?'
    If this happens in  Gaudi, just smile and nod, and stick the offending free stuff into the chest at the Flame when nobody is looking.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Try Gaudi. Snub the two or three people who prey on newbies by attempting to hide behind polite social norms. I haven't gotten the impression that Gaudi has become overly snugly. There may be a few people who need a bit of a thrashing.

There's an OOC clan, 'something monkish', I believe it may have helpfiles to help. Also remember you can ask on newbie and here. Monks can now teach katas, so reviewing a few of those might answer some of the questions you have.
    Polite social norms, in Gaudiguch? You must be new here. >.>

There -are- a few people in Gaudi who are snuggly. It's generally a group of people who are snuggly with each other, and they won't be overly snuggly with you unless they think you don't mind. Just let people know you aren't a snuggler, and you'll be fine.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    Polite social norms, in Gaudiguch? You must be new here. >.>

There -are- a few people in Gaudi who are snuggly. It's generally a group of people who are snuggly with each other, and they won't be overly snuggly with you unless they think you don't mind. Just let people know you aren't a snuggler, and you'll be fine.
    What I meant was people pushing things because of the expectation they were free to do so and others wouldn't call them on it. For instance the appropriate response to your first sentence is FO, unless of course you believe there is some societal restraint (aka polite social norm) which should be in play.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I've dropped my clothes in my armoire, and pretty much everything else I have is runed or non-decay, including furniture, so I should be good. I'm a bit obsessed with having stuff that doesn't go away. Thanks for the advice though!

I'm wanting to play someone a bit violent who hunts a lot, and doesn't influence, because that's very different to Qistrel. Especially now that I a) have a nearly decent curing system and b) don't actually care if I die a lot. I'll go back and try my illithoid Ninjakari again. Or maybe an orclach monk, that seems interesting.

I guess I could try a pyrochemist. Wildewood annoys me because I like the idea (no demesne) but I don't want to be a tree-person and lose all Qistrel's pretty pretty charisma.

But what if I want to tweet about stuff that happened to my alt on the forums? Not that we have a tweets thread. Also, if you've read this, you can probably already work out who my alts are, especially with my distinctive talking mannerisms that I'm really bad at suppressing...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• It won't destroy your alt to let people know who you are. Just that when you're alting for a change of pace and scene, you might end up in the same pace and scene if your friends keep talking to you (since they know you're on an alt).

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Qistrel said:
    But what if I want to tweet about stuff that happened to my alt on the forums? Not that we have a tweets thread. Also, if you've read this, you can probably already work out who my alts are, especially with my distinctive talking mannerisms that I'm really bad at suppressing...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Log in to the Lusternia web site under the alt, and then sign in to the forums as the alt. Then your identity remains a secret!
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • One of the things I've had problem with alting is when someone finds out who you are, and even if they liked the character before, they dislike it now. But if that happens, then you just keep on alting your fine self and you keep doing what you're having fun with, with or without that person. Your characters are separate and you are not them.

...(Unless you're Taria'ing, then it's more of an ooc thing)

• That. I've got at least one character per org, and I'd made the mistake of only having the same group of (admittedly awesome) friends for a while for all of them. As a consequence, a lot of my alts act the same, which is plusungood. I don't THINK anyone knows who my most recent alts are, which is helping them considerably. (though if someone does know can you A] let me know via PM here or message in-game and B] keep a lid on it)
  • Aerotan said:
    That. I've got at least one character per org, and I'd made the mistake of only having the same group of (admittedly awesome) friends for a while for all of them. As a consequence, a lot of my alts act the same, which is plusungood. I don't THINK anyone knows who my most recent alts are, which is helping them considerably. (though if someone does know can you A] let me know via PM here or message in-game and B] keep a lid on it)
    He's Eventru. Can confirm.

I'm pretty sure he's Shaddus
  • I'm waiting for a real slim shady parody for Shaddus to come out (there's a slim shady Shaddus in all of us, let's all stand up)
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    edited January 2015
    Just going to throw this out there Qistrel. I've liked
    the exceedingly few times I've gotten to interact with you, and I can say that the Nekotai rock from a rp perspective. Besides, new monk in glom? I'll smother you with helpfulness and attention.

And likely food.
    I hesitate to join Glom partly because I get depressed when no one is around at the times I play, and partly because Qistrel is already a crazy beetle-worshipper, and I'm scared I'll just end up with faeQistrel the monk.

Though Glom is only org where the specced race makes awesome monks. Which is pretty cool.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Get your monk skills then come to Halli.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    If you want a cwho that won't make you sad due to low numbers, then you're right, glom may not fit well. However, I counter with beetle monks. And that we can be beetleborgs/buddies together.
  • Mag isn't really that scary. People aren't going to kill you for asking questions.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Tarkenton said:
    If you want a cwho that won't make you sad due to low numbers, then you're right, glom may not fit well. However, I counter with beetle monks. And that we can be beetleborgs/buddies together.
    Low numbers should be the reason to go to Glom as opposed to running away from it. I find it so entertaining when members of orgs rush off to join the currently-high count organization exactly when their own needs them the most.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited January 2015
    Never mind, I change my mind.
  • Pretty much the above, yeah. There's a massive power vacuum in Glom right now...
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Ssaliss said:
    Pretty much the above, yeah. There's a massive power vacuum in Glom right now...
    Does it suck, or blow?
    Do faeling Nekotai regen in wyrden woods?

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited January 2015
    Qistrel said:
    Do faeling Nekotai regen in wyrden woods?
    Yes.

EDIT: Faeling everything regenerates in wyrden woods.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Elanorwen said:
    Tarkenton said:
    Low numbers should be the reason to go to Glom as opposed to running away from it. I find it so entertaining when members of orgs rush off to join the currently-high count organization exactly when their own needs them the most.
    This is silly. People should want to have fun, and enjoy where they are playing. If you want to play in the lowcount org that needs every able body, do it. If you want to be in a populous org to swim in interaction, more power to you. 

It goes the same for anything. If you're not having fun, change, if you are having fun, then keep at it.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    -namegen faeling female
    Some possible female faeling names:
     2. Chaenashirai  12. Lornai        22. Glanlei       32. Glorathisai

Namegen said I could put sai in it.

Qistrel said:
    I hesitate to join Glom partly because I get depressed when no one is around at the times I play
    My comment was purely in response to that.  I don't want to lose a player, period.  If that means that my org, with its current low population, isn't the right fit for someone then I'm not going to browbeat and attempt to convince them to join "for the good of the game/org/X".  Would I love for Qistrel to come alt in Glomdoring and delve into Nekotai goodness?  You betcha.  But I would vastly prefer that she just keep playing Lusternia in another org if low population wouldn't be enjoyable for her.