How to Alt?

Comments

• Pectus said:
    One of the things I've had problem with alting is when someone finds out who you are, and even if they liked the character before, they dislike it now. But if that happens, then you just keep on alting your fine self and you keep doing what you're having fun with, with or without that person. Your characters are separate and you are not them.

...(Unless you're Taria'ing, then it's more of an ooc thing)
    I've struggled with this in the past, but a part of me always wants to go "TADA! It's me!". It also becomes embarrassing if you mistell to someone saying something only your main would say (like "Hiya mom!" -wince-).

I would echo Shaddus and say just throw yourself into different roles and see what you enjoy most. Sometimes I've made alts out of curiosity and made Snaithy inactive because I've enjoyed them so much, other times it makes me go back to Snaithy because I've missed what I had.

Kinda wanna make an alt now 
    :-?
  • Elanorwen said:
    Tarkenton said:
    If you want a cwho that won't make you sad due to low numbers, then you're right, glom may not fit well. However, I counter with beetle monks. And that we can be beetleborgs/buddies together.
    Low numbers should be the reason to go to Glom as opposed to running away from it. I find it so entertaining when members of orgs rush off to join the currently-high count organization exactly when their own needs them the most.
    Low numbers are a reason to go, but they're not the only consideration. Some people are more social and everyone's social threshold is different. There's a point where you might as well be playing a stand alone game. There are good muds out there that failed for no other reason then they never got or were unable to maintain critical mass.

Not everyone is a hermit like myself.
  • OUTD STEINGRIM;;THROW STEINGRIM AT GROUND

More seriously, there's also the idea that moving into an org getting its teeth kicked in is an...interesting experience, but not always the best one.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Aerotan said:
    OUTD STEINGRIM;;THROW STEINGRIM AT GROUND

More seriously, there's also the idea that moving into an org getting its teeth kicked in is an...interesting experience, but not always the best one.
    *shrug* Depends, I guess. I moved to Hallifax when its combat-focused population was 3 (Synkarin included). Right now, if you only count active players, it's probably lower, although we have some people that might be perking up in that regard. Either way, I remember fighting insane demesne fights due to sheer numbers being thrown against me, up to something along the lines of five-six enemy melders breaking versus me trying to run repair work solo. It's an experience that I'm not terribly happy to try and repeat, though it also made me feel like King Kong on cocaine after the fight was over, and I remember spending 30-40 minutes after, trying to calm down from the adrenaline rush.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • ^ If you ever want to have a constant rush every time you're in combat, just be a melder. Everyone's gunning for you, and your team knows you're critical to their success. It's invigorating as hell.

• edited January 2015
    As a note, faeling isn't exactly the best race for any kind of monk. Too squishy. Well, faeling anything is squishy, but other monk races are less squishy but still perform well. Like Lobo. Now lobo is a race I'd recommend to any newbie monk. Any. Because gods, those stats are MADE for a monk. They regen just as much as a faeling anyway, since they have natural level one, and being Nightwraith gives you two levels of regen at nighttime. 

That said, faeling monks benefit from awesome influencing that the other monk races don't really get. Which is definitely nice. Sip speed and +2 bal is pretty great for everything too.

Edit: Correction, lobos have level three regen. Well now, they don't even need nightwraith for regen.

• Steingrim said:
    Elanorwen said:
    Tarkenton said:
    If you want a cwho that won't make you sad due to low numbers, then you're right, glom may not fit well. However, I counter with beetle monks. And that we can be beetleborgs/buddies together.
    Low numbers should be the reason to go to Glom as opposed to running away from it. I find it so entertaining when members of orgs rush off to join the currently-high count organization exactly when their own needs them the most.
    Low numbers are a reason to go, but they're not the only consideration. Some people are more social and everyone's social threshold is different. There's a point where you might as well be playing a stand alone game. There are good muds out there that failed for no other reason then they never got or were unable to maintain critical mass.

Not everyone is a hermit like myself.
    This. Personally, I stick with Glom because my character is a true loyalist, but I also bear the burden of it. I want to do stuff, but it isn't very motivating when nobody is about. Also, the lack of teachers. I keep saying I want to do combat, but then I wuss out when I'd need to figure out things on my own or be patient enough to catch the people with the knowledge online. I sometimes wish we had lots of OOC guides on stuff so that while we ingame all fight each other, we OOCly work together to teach each other. I think it is in the best interest of conflict and community, but well, someone would need to step up and write it. I have however concluded for myself I will do this if I get to that point, but atm I'm just back to not even logging in much except for basic tasks. I know, not helping things get better :(

As for faeling, could always racehat it up. You won't get the regen or the herb bonus, but you could pick a better race and have your appearance for RP. Like aslaran master race, and pick up herbs for the balance bonus. Lobo is another awesome choice too, and they're a cool race so you might want to even forego the racehat. Aslaran are too, for that matter.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • If your question is more "how do I make a distinct character" then Portius' discussion is extensive and useful.

• My advice? Quit your job b because you'll need the time.  Then divorce your spouse AND break up with your SO (the two are different in these modern ages) AND disown your children.  There! Now you have enough time ``to alt''.

Or you could just pick one character and live with the consequences.
    </RANT>
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I broke a bunch of Shaddus rules.

But, I'm having fun. So there's that.

• Rule (-1)

Don't out your alts the way I do (see: Naraj and Maladaari)

• I didn't know those were your alts. ;;)
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Daraius said:

Get your monk skills then come to Halli.

Hallifax is awesome! And We need to start a monk thing going in hallifax.

Since everyone knows the scope of their duties and their place within the structure. Politics doesn't much affect the rank and file.

Everything is streamlined and organized. So unless you -deliberately- go looking for trouble. Trouble ain't going to find you.
    is dead like the dodo
    edited January 2015
    @Xeria I'm not sure you want my monk in Hallifax. She did get you tossed out of Serenwilde yesterday. :P

But seriously, I don't think I'd like not being in a guild.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Yeah the Hallimonk scene is pretty lame right now but that is 100% my fault. It is, in fact, the eighth thing on my loginnote todo list, so it could be a while before things pick up.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    So, funny story, it turns out I ended up with the Mag monk I wanted after all...

• Don't know how that happened...
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I blame the Tainted Moon.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • <3 I luvs you Shaddus.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    More like:

Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • I take tears, and turn them into delicious crits. 
  • edited March 2015
    I just want to say that I've had great experiences with alting. I think all you need to show is that you're curious. And players will hook into that and help you out. It helps that I LOVE RP. Also, I've kind of discovered that it's really nice to take a break from your main character. You have time to think about how other things in the lore fight into other things.

Edit: Just adding a bit more.
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
    Yeah, well, I've always thought that everyone needs to try fighting on the other side a little. ;)

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    And, just throwing this out there.  Now that the circus that is my family life has settled back down again, if any lil' Glom alties are ever around in the evening PST, you can likely poke at a certain bear and he's usually willing to conduct hunting trips.
  • I would bring people on more hunting trips if I had standardbearer. The best place for doing it is Kephs, but I always get the newbies I drag along killed. =(

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    It's just knowing where you can take them that isn't super aggro. That being said, I've considered approaching the Ebonguard a few times for class flexing, but then I remember that I despise warrior combat, and I'd likely get stuck as one when something interesting goes down. I may suck at monking, but at least the only random portion is poisons.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Lerad said:

I would bring people on more hunting trips if I had standardbearer. The best place for doing it is Kephs, but I always get the newbies I drag along killed. =(

Get VA, buy Aegis, win.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Or alternatively warn them they might die. Make them sign a damn waiver and tell them to toughen the hell up! Hunting shouldn't be safe. It is hunting...