A Story on Hunger with the Mystagogue

Font of the Devourer.

Whispers in a thousand dissonant voices, each starkly dissimilar, carry hauntingly on the air from a

healing shrine of Morgfyre nearby. The stone walls are sculpted to appear as though entirely of

pulsating flesh, constantly shifting and mutating. At various intervals hands, feet, and every so

often a horrible gnashing mouth emerges to snap at the empty air, as though mad with hunger. Upon

the back wall is the only permanent growth of this edifice, a giant staring eye, red-veined and

piercing. It gazes greedily down upon a wide rectangular hole in the floor beneath it, around which

even the thrashing motions of the living room become still. Within the hole there is nothing but

endless blackness and a terrible silence broken only by the screams of those sent to the gaping maw

of the Devourer of Souls. A scarlet manticore with a wispy white mane rests skeletal black wings

here, oddly possessing a barbed scorpion's tail, glistening with venom. Mukyu Kol is here. Crimson

Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates stands nearby, surrounded by a miasma of

wailing souls. He wields a wyrm emblazoned shield in his left hand and a damning symbol of

domination in his right.

You see a single exit leading west.

You incline your head politely to those around you.

Mukyu Kol says, "I understand, Marquis. I strive to never repeat the same mistake twice."

Delphas inclines his head politely to those around him.

Kol bows respectfully to you.

"Good!" Delphas enthuses at Kol.

l kol

He is an ordinary human and of slightly below average height and of lean build. His black hair is

worn short and he is clean-shaven, with thin eyebrows. His eyes are a rich brown, and somewhat

almond-shaped. His face has a slightly angular shape, with a hawkish nose. He is wearing a canvas

backpack, a ruby and onyx ring engraved with demons, loose black trousers, a pair of black shoes and

a black cotton shirt.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates whispers to you, "Have you met Mukyu Kol? He seems quite eager to learn, and I sense within him a hunger for

advancement."

Delphas sucks thoughtfully on his teeth.

The beautiful yet mournful, stirring notes of a violin solo reach you, at first a molto crescendo to

a subtle intensity before being joined by a second, and then a third, eventually fading from your

hearing entirely.

Delphas slides an errant hand about the stone walls, his fingers sinking into each detail of the

frieze portraying a terrible mouth or dastardly tooth.

You say, "Not yet, but I do always enjoy to witness such a hunger for studies in our young."

The ghost of a smile passes fleetingly across your lips.

Rohilla arrives from the west.

Rohilla gives the world a smart salute.

Kol bows respectfully to Rohilla.

Rohilla flashes Kol a joyous smile.

Kol straightens up his posture after his bow, hands sliding to clasp behind his back.

Font of the Devourer.

Whispers in a thousand dissonant voices, each starkly dissimilar, carry hauntingly on the air from a

healing shrine of Morgfyre nearby. The stone walls are sculpted to appear as though entirely of

pulsating flesh, constantly shifting and mutating. At various intervals hands, feet, and every so

often a horrible gnashing mouth emerges to snap at the empty air, as though mad with hunger. Upon

the back wall is the only permanent growth of this edifice, a giant staring eye, red-veined and

piercing. It gazes greedily down upon a wide rectangular hole in the floor beneath it, around which

even the thrashing motions of the living room become still. Within the hole there is nothing but

endless blackness and a terrible silence broken only by the screams of those sent to the gaping maw

of the Devourer of Souls. A scarlet manticore with a wispy white mane rests skeletal black wings

here, oddly possessing a barbed scorpion's tail, glistening with venom. Mukyu Kol is here. Trooper

Rohilla is here. Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates stands nearby,

surrounded by a miasma of wailing souls. He wields a wyrm emblazoned shield in his left hand and a

damning symbol of domination in his right.

You see a single exit leading west.

cw

**********************[ THE GRAND PROVINCE OF MAGNAGORA ]**********************

Citizen                Rank                     Position                    CT

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delphas                Marquis                  City Aide                   On

Alaksanteri            Marquessa                City Aide                   On

Grench                 Marquessa                Minister of Power           On

Kol                    Serf                                                 On

Selna                  Laborer                                              On

Rohilla                Supervisor                                           On

Currently, there are 6 Citizens on this Plane and 4 on other Planes.

who here

You see the following people here:

Kol, Delphas, Rohilla, Alaksanteri.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates whispers, "By strange coincidence the

topic today is advancement itself."

Delphas leans forward, into the gigantic eye of marble against the back wall.

Sinister ritual chanting echoes faintly from afar, as shadowy, cloaked figures slip across the

corner of your eye.

Rohilla tilts her head and listens intently to Delphas.

(Magnagora): Delphas says, "A sermon devoted to Lord Gorgulu shall be delivered within the Silent

Cathedral quite soonly, friends."

Delphas wheels about on his heels.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates whispers, "The Prophetess of the

Devourer herself is here. Truly an auspicious omen."

You nod your head emphatically.

(Magnagora): Delphas says, "It is noon, citizens."

You say, "I am eager to hear your comprehension of His tenets."

Delphas blushes at you furiously.

Delphas straightens his robes and coughs subtly.

Delphas steps forward from the protuding eye of the wall and the gaping hole in the floor to stand

before the gathered congregation.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "Welcome, friends."

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "Recent events of the

Ascendancy Challenge did remind me of some actions not long past."

Delphas looks about the clique present.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "I can tell some of you have a

sense already, but perhaps I can put this into better form?."

who here

You see the following people here:

Kol, Delphas, Rohilla, Alaksanteri.

Rubbing his chin while looking down, Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates

says, "Some months ago I took a merian prisoner while raiding the orphanage. The defending force was

nothing to worry about. Merely a few paladins and an aquamancer."

Delphas waves a dismissive hand.

Boastfully, Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "Certainly nothing

to write home about."

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "The Paladins were dispatched

quite quickly, but the aquamancer was captured. Of course he could not command the same power as the Geomancers, so of course there was nothing left for him but to surrender."

Delphas puts his hands on his hips and goes "Hmmm!"

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "He was brought to the n'Kylbar

Villa, as customary, whereupon I sought to interrogate him. Of course such cannot begin without

proper nourishment lest the trials lose their meaning, so we dined together the following morning."

The acrid stench of burning ozone permeates the air as the great engines of industry and planar

science march ever forward.

Looking up and to his left while scratching his cheek, Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet

of the Dark Fates says, "I think the first course was eighteen trill eggs and five pounds of orc

bacon, and milk."

Delphas sucks thoughtfully on his teeth.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "Yes, two gallons of milk."

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "My enjoyed my meal with gusto, of course, but my prisoner was rather overwhelmed! He could not fathom such a feast, and also made some complaint about trill eggs."

Delphas shrugs helplessly.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "The second course was three

pounds of fresh fruit with seven loaves of bread and jelly."

Selna arrives from the west.

The acrid stench of burning ozone permeates the air as the great engines of industry and planar

science march ever forward.

Delphas chews on his lip, deep in thought.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "I think port wine was also

brought by my servants."

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "At any rate, my prisoner

merely nibbled on a stale crust and request water."

Delphas scoffs arrogantly.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "Of all things, Water!"

Delphas shakes his head.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "It was only a few moments

after my servants brought the final course, a delicious delicacy of potatoes and cubed taurian

steaks that word came to me."

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "Naturally I finished my meal,

a paltry two pounds six ounces, drank my milk, and locked the rascal up before leaving to where I

was summoned. It would seem the message required my attention."

Sinister ritual chanting echoes faintly from afar, as shadowy, cloaked figures slip across the

corner of your eye.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "Of course I am no barbarian! I

permitted the wretch to finish his meal as well, but it would seem he did not enjoy merian filet

with lemon and garlic with quite the same apetite as you or I."

Delphas mutters discontentedly.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "Those brutes clearly have no

taste or dignity, but that is not the point."

Delphas shakes his finger.

"Nope," Delphas says with finality.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "I was occupied for some months

while we slew the Avatars of Ethereal Serenwilde, so it was obviously some time before I returned to

my, eh, previous business."

Delphas shakes his head.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "Can you imagine my disgust at

the mess I found? There he was, after a gourmet feast offered, a pitiable wretch damned near starved

to death!"

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "Of course I had been gone for

a few months, but what worry had I? I had eaten."

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "This fool! This watery, merian

fool!"

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates lectures, "He refused all hospitality

offered."

Delphas spits on the ground in disgust.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "Friends, we have long ago

dethroned the prophets of the Fatalists."

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "We have long ago broke our

ties with Shallamar."

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "None can say what we will or

will not need in the future!"

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "Instead, we must ask ourselves

what we may or may not need in the future."

Delphas shakes his head.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates exclaims, "I say plainly I do not

know if I will eat tomorrow, so let me feast today!"

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates exclaims, "I do not know what skill I

will require next month, so teach me today!"

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates exclaims, "I do not know our

alliances next year, so let me make and break enemies this very moment!"

Delphas seethes.

Delphas closes his eyes and inhales deeply, absorbing the scent of his surroundings.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "The poor fool of a prisoner

was mostly dead when I returned to him, so I had to slay him. In such a state no intelligence could

possibly be retrieved, but the question remains."

Delphas licks his lips.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "If only a fool would refuse

strength and nourishment, why must we be so cursed with fools for enemies?"

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "I hope we can each think upon

this lesson of taking for today so we shall never want tomorrow, and find a way to practice it in

our daily lives."

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says to you, "Would the Prophetess

care to offer a prayer of convocation, or should she desire to yield this honour to the Mystagogue?"

You say, "This is most certainly interesting, Mystagogue. I would offer one single thought to

complement your words..."

Delphas bows respectfully to you.

You say, "We should strive to satiate our hungers so we may hunger for other cravings to satiate,

endlessly, in order to always progress."

You have emoted: Alaksanteri elegantly claps her hands together.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "Amen."

You press your thumb to Delphas's forehead, who shivers, and offer him the dark blessings of the

Demon Lords of Nil.

You say, "I was most entertained."

Rohilla's mouth turns up as her face breaks into a smile.

You say, "You may proceed wityh the final words, of course."

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates says, "Thank you all for attending. I

hope you can each find a way to practice His Dark wisdom."

With a flourish of his arm, Delphas bows deeply.

A wry smile spreads across Selna's face.

Rohilla gives up a round of applause.

Selna presses her hands together and bows her head.

Selna mutters and traces glowing geometric patterns in the air which settle around her, grounding

her to the earth.

Trooper Rohilla says, "Very enlightening, Mystagogue. Thank you."

Selna mutters and traces the glowing symbol of a rose before her. She smiles as the rose floats

towards her and enters her chest, making her somehow look much more attractive.

Crimson Mystagogue Delphas n'Kylbar, Prophet of the Dark Fates whispers to Kol, "I am pleased to

greet you, good Mukyu. Your numbers are always welcome."

Selna mutters and traces a glowing circle before her. She steps through the circle and suddenly

vanishes from sight.

You incline your head politely to those around you.