Artisan Furniture sold in Shops

edited January 2015 in Ideas
This thread idea was started with @Shaddus @Eritheyl @Enadonella @Aerotan and @Enyalida

We would like it if furniture could be sold in shops. It would be possible to ANCHOR the furniture in a manse or wherever. 

Pantographs would now work by being applied to the created furniture. They would take less space in a room if they were created by an artisan with a pantograph. Furniture would show the percentage of space taken on probe.

See how this thread was started in the QUOTES 8: THE QUOTING thread on pages 133 & 134: http://forums.lusternia.com/discussion/9/quotes-8-the-quoting/p133

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Things I'd like to suggest:

Only manse owners/Guild leader/steward/Order rep can unanchor.

Items which need to be set to a person (throne, locks)will be set to whoever anchors the item. Lockable items come preset with a lock, and anchoring generates one key.

Allow artisans to create (at a large cost) plaques which can be installed by buyers to expand room space by 25%. Possible max room space from this, up to admin discretion.

Remove the indoor/outdoor flag from all furniture. This serves no purpose at all.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I'm not sure about for all furniture. It's kind of hard to anchor a chandelier or a sconce to open air. Admittedly, I'd love to have a hammock in my ship-themed indoor room.
    Aerotan said:

I'm not sure about for all furniture. It's kind of hard to anchor a chandelier or a sconce to open air. Admittedly, I'd love to have a hammock in my ship-themed indoor room.

Technically, I want this because half of the games nexii can't have a chandelier, and Estarra won't let us make a pattern for an outside replacement.

I'm also tired of awesome benches that I can't put inside manses :(
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Ssaliss said:
    I'd still prefer if artisans were able to CRAFT <furniture> AS PACKAGE, and packages could then be sold, and could be assembled wherever you wanted. So basically, same concept, except I'm a Swede.
    That would be so awesome. I'd be so happy if we could have Lusternian Ikeas all over the place.

There is one problem though, the furniture is really expensive and a shop owner would not be certain that all their creations will be sold... Perhaps a modification in comm requirements could help.
  • I feel like "outdoor" should be fine inside, but yeah indoors being outside can be weird. Though I can easily imagine some form of strung light except with crystals for outdoor chandeliers.

like this

• @Ieptix will need to weigh in on this but to my recollection, furniture is coded a whoooole different way than any other trade or any items, period. This might not be doable without an entire Artisan remake. Overhaul > Requests. The best you can hope for during the Overhaul is things that Ieptix could code on a lunch break (I'm amazed he's been finding time for some of the amazing things that have been introduced of late as it is).
    You let Ieptix take lunch breaks? Just make Skein and Spindle peel grapes and feed them to Him while He works.
  • It occurs to me that one way to make it so that artisans without a pantograph are still able to sell furniture would be to have artisans who have one that make furniture like this flag the furniture as having been 'pantographed' or something, then the first x weight of furniture with that flag in a room doesn't count, and graphed furniture can be added to room as long as it wouldn't push past both caps.

ie If the room can normally hold 100% and the pantograph lets it go up to 150%, then the artisan can make furniture flagged as having been made with a pantograph. The first 50% of this furniture put into a room doesn't count. So if the room has a table at 50% and 8 chairs at 5% each, and the room's owner wants to add a cabinet (for the china), which would be 20%, he'd need to find one made with a pantograph. This would have the room at 90% full, with 20% pantographed. If he wants to add another two pairs of pantographed chairs, this goes to 90/40. Then if he wants to have a tapestry worth 20%, it would again need to be pantographed, and 10% counts under the pantograph weight, and 10 under the normal for a total of 100/50 or the whole 150%. 

Obviously, as I am not nor have I ever been an artisan, I don't have accurate numbers.
  • edited January 2015
    While artisan objects are not objects in the same sense everything else is (which is why they can have their own color), that doesn't mean artisan-in-shops would require a major overhaul. All you would need is to have a means for an artisan to, instead of creating the furniture, to create an actual object that looks like "a box full of parts and Allen wrenches", which stores in its data structure just a few extra fields: the ID of the artisan, and the ID of the furniture design, maybe a few more like the cartel. Then add an ASSEMBLE verb which does the same checks that the artisan's CONSTRUCT verb (or whatever it was, it's been so long I don't even remember) does to be sure something can be built in the spot you're in, consumes the item, and builds the furniture. Basically, ASSEMBLE becomes a mirror image of CONSTRUCT, with the only differences being you don't need to be an artisan with the right skill to ASSEMBLE, just have the object; and it consumes the object instead of the comms. Now, I'm not saying that'd be easy, but it'd be comparable in difficulty with the change made for Bookbinding to sell in shops, and wouldn't require an overhaul of Artisan.

This would mean that the person doing the ASSEMBLE might need to borrow or buy a pantograph, even if the original Artisan had one. Alternately, the "box full of parts and Allen wrenches" object could store whether the Artisan who made it had a pantograph and if so it takes up less space. That'd sure increase the value of a pantograph (while making it so pantographless Artisans are probably out of business forever).
  • Ssaliss said:

I'd still prefer if artisans were able to CRAFT <furniture> AS PACKAGE, and packages could then be sold, and could be assembled wherever you wanted. So basically, same concept, except I'm a Swede.

Anyway, it would (most likely) need a bit more work than the bookbinding change did. Odds are, bookbinding was changed to be able to hold a special value for its owner, and if it's that value and it's sold in a shop, the owner is set to the buyer. So nothing too complex.

Adding in the ability to make packages instead of furniture would be a bit trickier, in that you'd need an extra item type with extra values in it (although not as many as you've listed; the identity of the crafter and the cartel would already be available since it's there on all items). You'd then need to add an extra command to actually assemble those items. It's not an insane amount of work along the lines of an overhaul, but it'd certainly be trickier than the changes made to bookbinding.
  • edited February 2015
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #2427
    Date: 2/8/2015 at 6:11
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: Artisan Packages

A new ability, PACKAGING, has been added to the Artisan skill, allowing
    artisans to package furniture for later assembly. Details for the
    packaging process can be found in AB ARTISAN PACKAGING.

Consumers may use the packages using the ASSEMBLE <package> command.
    This comes with the usual restrictions of constructing furniture;
    packages cannot be used to get around indoor/outdoor requirements, etc.
    For thrones, the owner will be set to whoever assembles the package. The
    pantograph artifact and the Beauteous Workings ascendant power are taken
    into account when determining whether there is room to assemble a piece
    of furniture. However, the special mark from the ascendancy power will
    not be present; only artisans specifically constructing furniture will
    receive that boon.

Penned by My hand on the 16th of Roarkian, in the year 404 CE.

@Drocilla @Ieptix Thank you! A lot of love in your direction. :)