Transgender Discussion (Potential Trigger Warning)

2»

Comments

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited January 2015
    Right. When it's all said and done, operating on the genitalia or endocrine systems of the patient is much more safe than trying to fix the way their brain was wired, though both are expensive and traumatic ordeals. The pragmatist in me is most pleased.

I chuckled at the hetero-homo rainbow spectrum comment. In a good way. I've seen similar reasoning before,

but hearing it from you guys (Lusternians) makes me a lot more comfortable with it.

• So essentially, medical science, double blind studies, and peer review psychiatric and psychological journals: Meh.

A bunch of friends on the interwebs: Ah, arright. :P
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    That's not surprising at all, actually. People can read all sorts of papers and studies on every topic under the sun. But what really matters, what really influences people, is that personal contact. Even in an e-environment, like a forum, chatroom, or game, that connection between people, one-on-one, makes so much more of a difference than anything else.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    It's easy to discount the value of subjective experience across the field, but when it comes to understanding things, people typically value what they themselves have seen and experienced. And that isn't bad. It's not a good idea to put blind faith into anything, and you shouldn't devalue experiences that people have, especially your own.

That being said, just this month a report was put out by the Medical University of Vienna that said their research showed that the networks of the brain reflect gender identity. Here's a link for those who want to read it.
  • edited January 2015
    I... Am hesitant really to say much about transgender and all this because ive rarely interacted with them and find it hard to see their point of view. . However, i will say how good it is, to me, efforts are made and there are successes. Now when i am involved in training courses there is always a mention of tg being counted under the discrimination act. Thats in England, mind, but it is great, so there is a future if any tg are worried about it. People care.| Will prejudice go away? No, it never will, but the law on your side is a big plus.| I wonder what peoples opinions are, out of curiosity, concerning what should happen if a genderfluid person commits a crime and they go to jail. When deciding on male or female prison, should it be the gender they identify with, or the one they were born with? Something i hink is rarely discussed in these topics.
  • As unfortunate as this is, part of the purpose of prisons is to strip the individuality from the inmates as much as possible. You are, after all, trying to destroy the person they were in order to 'reform' them into something socially acceptable. I think in this case it's going to default to either the legal gender (usually the birth gender) or the biological sex (see previous) that ends up determining with which population a transgendered person is incarcerated.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    You go through whichever prison system matches your legal gender marker, regardless of what you might prefer.