Ideas of Wonder

Comments

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    On the one hand, prints would be a really cool thing to put on a promo thingy, on the other, there's so little worthwhile in Hunting/Ecology that giving one of the few awesome things it does to everyone will make it even less worthwile to learn.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    It's about diversifying revenue streams. Or something. IRE gets a consistent and predictable amount of money from elite memberships, and the promotions are meant to encourage BIG purchases. Some people get the great value of monthly credits, dingbats, and EXP bonuses. Some people forfeit those perks and shell out for shinies like curios and crates and wands. Some crazy people take advantage of the elite bonus to credit purchases and get the shinies too.*

* Based on no actual data on players' spending habits.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited January 2015
    Lavinya said:

I find it pretty disappointing that despite paying for elite every month, I can't use that to participate in the monthly promotions.

What is the point of even having elite anymore? Instead we have to spend on top of that? That's pretty unfair to all the very loyal customers who buy every month - especially as more and more items are made unavailable in game.

If this is what is going to happen, I'll be cancelling my elite and would much prefer all promos be credit sales/artifact sales/solstice crate sales. I certainly don't want every month being fancy new OP items that I might be able to join with once every 6 months or so. Saving up my elite all year to buy a wonderwand though, that I could have done, except, you know, we can't. I miss the old far less overtly commercial promotions. Knowing these will never be available in game leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

One thing I was wondering about recently is if it would be possible to add a "CREDITS MEMBERSHIP CLAIM" option. 

One version of this would apply the credits purchased via elite to the current creditsale and then put a mark on your elite membership as claimed, which is then cleared the next time your subscription ticks (or whatever) to prevent you from claiming multiple times in the same subscription period. This would allow for those who have mid-month subscriptions to claim twice in one month but at the cost of a claim for the next month.

The other version would be to enable elite members to build up a bank, every time membership credits are added to their account the bank would build and they can claim an optional number of those credits on a creditsale. This version would probably be more well received by the general playerbase as it has more control for us over what we feel is worth the spend and also means there aren't "missed" months where there might not be credit sales on or if a promotion is delayed until after the subscription ticks.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    A wild distraction appears!

Ideas:

Randomly picks an item in your inventory with a decay timer. Doubles the amount of months on it.

TURN ITEM to give yourself a random skill boost like the Teacher Tarot. Usable once a month.

For five minutes once a month, any scries on you will show you to be in a random room anywhere in Lusternia. Confuse your enemies! Astound your friends!

Spend ten power to genderbend everyone in your room for one Lusternian day.

The Glamours power of Weave Manse.

A way to tell how many rooms in the current area you haven't been in.

The Hunting skill of Campfires. Only lasts half as long, can't be refreshed with wood.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • @Daraius I suppose the issue comes when players grow unhappy with the system.

To me it also seems rather odd in the greater context of mmos, though there may not be the concept of expansion packs here, as far as I am aware most subscription options are moving towards something like elite where they offer a series of perks and some credits for the relevant artifact equivalents.

The difference I notice I suppose is that the thing that gets you to spend a lot of "credits" is buying the limited time "artefact" it doesn't really matter how you got the credits just that you have them. Which makes it feel like two ways to achieve the same goal rather than exclusive options, and subscribers who want more are either going to up their subscription or "pay as they go?"
  • edited January 2015
    Outside of new wonder effects, I would not at all mind if a wonder piece could be attached to a partial curio to occupy a random missing piece of the set.

Yes, I'm recycling this idea because I really, really would like the ability to use a catchall piece to complete a 9/10 partial that could take many more hours and much more hair pulling to finish.

Can even limit it to one wonder piece per partial, but this crossover would be awesome, personally.
  • I would like to see a promotional beast! The more credits purchased, the more innate abilities open up to it that are unique, but the beast can still function with Beastmastery.

Neat little things the beast could do after a few credits... maybe learn how to automate tasks for you? Such as a slave to create bunches and bunches of vials or enchant those pesky bulk orders of robes? Work, slaaaaave.

• I've always wanted a little gnome to harvest for me...
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I like permanent enchantments so some powers I'd like are:

o Nimbus
    o Mercy
    o Kingdom
    o Avarice
    o Beauty
    o Perfection

And utility-wise:
    o Catacombs
    o Hermit

Combat-wise:
    o Bodyscan others
    o Diagnose others
    o Check others' defs
    o See whenever a poison hits someone and which poison it was (100% of the time)
  • I can definitely get behind permanent enchantments (or at least normal enchantments that can be regulator'd so they're unlikely to run out). Wearing a single ring that can have multiple enchantments would sure beat lugging around 19 magic curios...
  • edited January 2015
    Viynain said:

Outside of new wonder effects, I would not at all mind if a wonder piece could be attached to a partial curio to occupy a random missing piece of the set.

Yes, I'm recycling this idea because I really, really would like the ability to use a catchall piece to complete a 9/10 partial that could take many more hours and much more hair pulling to finish.

Can even limit it to one wonder piece per partial, but this crossover would be awesome, personally.
    Great idea @Viynain.

Also @Kelly copying veneration skills is really annoying. It takes a lot of work and essence to earn those skills. Wonderwand already gives you a vastly better version of portal. Let's not suggest promo powers like omniscience lest we make the entire skillset worthless.

Edit: whoever said the cone/dark/starlink idea, yes please! Do want (and probably most city folk do as well)!
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Veneration portal is better because it's instantaneous and cross-continent. I don't see why availing Veneration powers, in a more limited capacity, is considered a bad thing. It sucks for those who aren't "chosen ones" that they can't ever get certain perks, by virtue of limitations (or availability) of their chosen Divine. The skillset isn't going to be worthless, let's not be dramatic. The downside to the wand ability would be the limitation on casting, and the upside for people who already have cults is that it wouldn't drain cult essence.
  • edited January 2015
    Kelly said:

Veneration portal is better because it's instantaneous and cross-continent. I don't see why availing Veneration powers, in a more limited capacity, is considered a bad thing. It sucks for those who aren't "chosen ones" that they can't ever get certain perks, by virtue of limitations (or availability) of their chosen Divine. The skillset isn't going to be worthless, let's not be dramatic. The downside to the wand ability would be the limitation on casting, and the upside for people who already have cults is that it wouldn't drain cult essence.

Your example of omniscience is at least reasonable, even if we disagree on using veneration skills at all. Time limit of an hour and usage limit of a day.

Free infinite portals by contrast, is pretty darned absurd. We have to assume that the next wonder item will maintain that standard of power for the #20 crystal.
  • Rivius said:

I like permanent enchantments so some powers I'd like are:

Combat-wise:
    o Bodyscan others
    o Diagnose others
    o Check others' defs
    o See whenever a poison hits someone and which poison it was (100% of the time)
    Most of these are artifacts already. I would say if they were wonder powers, they would have to be at the level cost of that artifact
  • Estarra said:

Kiradawea said:

The problem appears when the object you have to probe isn't clear in the room desc. Either because the room description refers to a plural where the item takes a singular (room mentions bookcases, but you have to "Probe bookcase"), because the room description uses a synonym to the object being probed (drapes/curtains) or sometimes it isn't clearly referred to in the room description at all.

If a hidden object is in a room that isn't in the room description, I'd consider that a bug. The word should at least always be in the room description (please bug it if not!). In any event, we still do quests with hidden objects and I think a skill that displays hidden objects is a bit of a cheat.
    The problem is. If a word isn't in the room description, we can't make an accurate bug report, because we've no chance to figure out what the word is except through a lucky guess.

But I've said my piece on the matter. For other Wonderwand stuff.

How 'bout perfume effects? Wave the wonderitem around and get the effect of a Lorecraft oil.

And how about the Astrology Astroglide ability?
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Ability to customize tells. (Though this should just be added into the game as emotes on tells.)

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    ... but, they're tells. Telepathic communications. Maybe different moods or sounds attached, but putting emotes in tells just sounds ridiculous.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Everiine said:

... but, they're tells. Telepathic communications. Maybe different moods or sounds attached, but putting emotes in tells just sounds ridiculous.

Imperian had a deal where you basically put together a three piece curio that customised your tells with elements/moods and the like. It wasn't super fancy, but it was interesting.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Aetolia has them as different ones you can win in their version of presents and stuff. Though you have to buy another item for gold to actually start using them.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
    I has idea.

Racial Pride
    Allows demigods to display their race in their honours.

i.e. when you honours me you'd see:
    Qistrel Starleaf (Female High Elfen Wild Demigodess)

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    That's masquerade, costs 2,500,000 essence and is 1 weight:

Info for Masquerade:

Syntax: MANIFEST MASQUERADE [RELAX]
    Essence: 25,000+ (to activate)
               500+ (to sustain)

Those with divine sparks often find it difficult to hide their power from mere mortals, who wish to 
    fawn endlessly over them. Ironically, by using your remarkable talents, you can make yourself appear 
    mundane to even the most stout observer. This ability is draining, however, and will constantly draw 
    upon your reserves of essence, even when you are not in the realms (should you wish to maintain the 
    masquerade while you are away). If you are a vernal demigod, it will be slightly more costly to mask 
    yourself. If you are an Ascendant, it will be slightly more costly again.
  • the 'sustain' is the worst part
    edited February 2015
    It's not, Masquerade hides the demigod part from your honours. Pretending you're not a demigod. I was suggesting something that shows both your race and demigod status.

• How often is the drain applied? Once per minute, once per hour?
  • Still open for ideas!
  • How about something that repopulates a room with herbs, without the need for transplantation nor perhaps even being an herbalist yourself? On use maybe it sets all herbs that can grow in the environment to at least five each, for every plant below that threshold that aren't currently in hibernation.

Even if it were restricted to once an hour or something like that, it could save a great deal of tedium, frustration and boredom for your friendly neighborhood herbalists.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Riluna said:

How about something that repopulates a room with herbs, without the need for transplantation nor perhaps even being an herbalist yourself? On use maybe it sets all herbs that can grow in the environment to at least five each, for every plant below that threshold that aren't currently in hibernation.

Even if it were restricted to once an hour or something like that, it could save a great deal of tedium, frustration and boredom for your friendly neighborhood herbalists.

That's... very significantly better than the equivalent skill (ecology - herbrenewal) which is five power to grow a single herb in a barren room. Completely wouldn't mind herbrenewal being upgraded to that but yeah, that's a major updgrade.
  • My mind is wandering around the idea of an org-based wonder item?

Like all the benefits would be the same at the core, it's just the "twist" would make it and the lines associated with it related to your org similar to the god artifacts.

Though the only things I can think of are like... 

a mini-orgbix - exits within your physical org, maybe one near each of the guild halls (or as close as appropriate for hidden ones). Up to your nexus world, down to your nexus

village port - If catacombs isn't allowed could there be the ability to just teleport to villages your org controls? (Maybe it could function similarly, perhaps a crystalline chariot for hallifax pulled by slaves?)

bubble port - Probably a big ask, but the same as the village port except to bubbles that your org currently controls. Though this depends on how it works against bubblixes, it's really good for orgs who control a lot and bad for those who don't though they also would be useless for flares.

Maybe some lower level powers like room echoes, a version of the fickle finger of the fates?

I'm kinda thinking that without things that build it up like damage, maybe an easier way to create more items would be to have a variable maximum number and only sell the wonder crystals? 

So like... a wonderstaff might only require ten crystals to form for your org stuff, while wondergloves could take fifteen. Then you just spend your crystals as necessary for what you want, over time releasing more items they can be formed into?
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited February 2015
    How about this:

1) Astralprojection - You can leave your body behind. Your body falls to the ground and is vulnerable as you become incorporeal, able to walk around like this. You can be hit by kether and seen by chockmah and similar skills as well. No other actions besides moving are available to you except SNAPBACK which brings you back to your body. Is instant, but costs significant EQ upon repossessing your body. After X amount of time, you'll automatically snapback. There is a cooldown after each use before you can astralproject again.

2) ShowerOfBlessings - Once a game month you can shower an entire area with water. Great for putting out those nasty lightning fires that have spread a lot.