Wings of Wonder!

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited February 2015
    Lavinya said:

I bet you complained about the snowglobes that were a free bubblix, didn't you?

Yep, I did. Free instant transport away from any outdoor location on prime/ethereal to the aetherplex, which usually costs 300db (or lots of time/effort doing an epic) I sure did point that out, and that it disproportionately hit forests by giving newbies the power to run to Ethereal org territories, bop a loyal, and vanish.

Sorry what? Having jump be the first effect encourages people to pay to start the wings how? If anything, if jump is such an incentive to paying in... why wouldn't you put it out of range of totally free? If the other abilities in the power are questionable, and jump is what they're in it for, why would they pay anything at all? That line of reasoning makes no sense, when you consider that you get a free 1-crystal-wings set for a participation event. 

To be clear, I'm fine with people who pay credits being able to buy a pogo effect and that not be prohibitively expensive. That's not what's going on here, everyone who participates in an easy quest gets the pogo effect for free. Even putting jump at 2 crystals solves this problem neatly. Then, you'd have to at least pay 100 credits in to get the effect.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I don't think I complained.  In fact, I asked for (and immediately received) a full refund for my leaf bubblix since I didn't need it any more.  I was pretty happy. :)
    edited February 2015
    That was a quote, sorry. Stupid quoteboxes! Just fixed my post.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    edited February 2015
    I love it when Lusternia shows it's players some love and throws us something great for free.

I hate it when monthly promotions demand hundreds of dollars to participate without a means to get the fancy item in game (Goop, genie bottle curios, wonderwands) but when there was the free goop that enticed me in, and now a free crystal, its much more inticing to spend some more and get more awesomeness. Heaps of people got free noses after the 30 free goop over 2 months. I think that's great! I also think it's great that I can get a free crystal and turn it into something of worth.

Lusternia advertises as being free to play, but when there are more and more things available only for RL cash, that descriptor fails terribly. This is great. I might not even use my crystal to get jump (though I sure wouldn't waste it on levitate). Poor admin must feel like they can't win - we complain at having to pay to get involved, then when they give us something nifty for free, we complain that we should have to pay for it!

• Ssaliss said:

One rather important bit...

You don't actually pay 100 credits to get a crystal. You buy 100 credits to get a crystal _and_ 100 credits. While it's more or less the same thing for people who have already bought all the artifacts they want, there's a huge difference when it comes to people still investing in their artifacts. For them, the wings are a free perk because they got their artifact.

In the technical sense yes. However, as long as you can sell them they have selling value, which is 100 credits for at least now. Now take the new player, they buy a standard package of three hundred credits and receive three wonder crystals. They can now use a crystal and get wings, sell the other two crystals and have 500 credits. If jumping is moved to item four they would have to trade 100 of their credits to someone for a shard and then with four shards gain the ability, and have 200 credits left. Or sell the three shards, buy the pogo and have 500 credits left.

Also on the whole:

@Enyalida said: I'm 100% comfortable being the voice of criticism every single time a
    promotion releases some new item that introduces feature creep or other
    inappropriate boon. Just gonna have to get used to it, I guess?

This kinda just slid though without much comment. There's a world of difference between +h/m/e, resistance buffs, damage buffs, balance buffs, eq buffs and jumping. Jumping isn't power creep, and as has already been said it is available to everyone. If pogo isn't needed, then no one needs to buy it, if it is needed, then if you actually wanted things more balanced you'd be supporting easier access to the skill. Your goal here seems less about balance and fairness then it does about protecting some edge you perceive you currently have.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Lavinya said:

I love it when Lusternia shows it's players some love and throws us something great for free.

I hate it when monthly promotions demand hundreds of dollars to participate without a means to get the fancy item in game (Goop, genie bottle curios, wonderwands) but when there was the free goop that enticed me in, and now a free crystal, its much more inticing to spend some more and get more awesomeness. Heaps of people got free noses after the 30 free goop over 2 months. I think that's great! I also think it's great that I can get a free crystal and turn it into something of worth.

Lusternia advertises as being free to play, but when there are more and more things available only for RL cash, that descriptor fails terribly. This is great. I might not even use my crystal to get jump (though I sure wouldn't waste it on levitate). Poor admin must feel like they can't win - we complain at having to pay to get involved, then when they give us something nifty for free, we complain that we should have to pay for it!

I'm currently in a situation where I can't afford to shell out money for hundreds of credits to get these lovely special objects that I would absolutely LOVE to have. Having just one of the crystals for a wand or wings (whichever I end up picking) is going to be amasing for me, because while I might not have the best things around, I can still participate and have more shinies. When I get into a position where I -can- afford to give Lusternia money, I'll gladly do so to show my support, especially when they do awesome things like this.

(Maybe a more complicated, tedious quest to generate wonder crystals, though. Once the promotion is over, of course. *hopefulsmile*)
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Shouldn't that be Arcanis' wand of Unholy Wrath?
    xD

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Tremula said:

(Maybe a more complicated, tedious quest to generate wonder crystals, though. Once the promotion is over, of course. *hopefulsmile*)

Not that you were saying it Tremula, the Dolly quest is 'easier' because it starts in the middle of the month. Perhaps, even more than that, it is easier because it is easier to get the quest item from the denizens. My impression is that not only do the deninzens not poof after influencing, but that others can greet them and then influence them. If that's the case, that's something I'd like to see in some of the other quests.

Often the holiday quests seem more like a punishment. 21 days in December just feels like a big middle finger to those who travel, have large families, and other obligations. Where it really stings is when you have limited hours, log in and can't even complete the quest do to other people.

I don't mind putting in some effort, but no one wants to get half way or more though a daily quest and then not be able to finish it.

I know you weren't specifically talking about the holiday quests, but tedius if not complicated kinda sums some of those up.
  • edited February 2015
    While it's not the entire skill just yet... all of the active abilities except for forage and caw from memory are available through artefacts or other skills which is annoying cause well... you can just kinda buy nearly the whole skill (without any of the restrictions) except for like... caw and forage.  
    I'd probably suggest though that, this has already happened, and maybe it would be better to think about new ideas for totems in another thread?

That being said, in the context that it has been released in the wonderwings (stage 1 at least) are effectively a free artefact and at all other times seem likely to be a bonus on top of other purchases (and, I wish they could be incorporated into elite). 

If the argument is "oh won't somebody think about the newbies", well... Personally I would rather have had the permanent levitation enchantment, because as a newbie jumping would do nothing for me at all.

Idk, I feel like this is all part of the issue with trying to translate the concept to other items. Ordering should be relatively similar across the board and I guess looking at the wand the third slot was an unlimited deathsight enchant, and the fifth was a... non-combat ability from a base skill (illusions) so it could be argued that the wings are "better" in the respect of ordering whether you think that is a good thing or not.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Maybe it should be changed to Scry.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    This is starting to show why I thought the wonder wand was enough and we didn't need more wonder things. It requires too many ideas to incorporate at once, particularly when we've a plethora of artifacts already.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    It also basically serves as 20 artifacts, which means we now have 40 artifacts condensed into 2 items. Not exactly a sustainable model, and probably one of the most flagrant cases of bloat I've seen recently. I was not really in favour of the first Wonder item, and now, with the second, I hate the whole concept.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited February 2015
    Butbutbutbut

I wanted to see when all their powers combined like in bouei-bu love...

And then you have like a torus or something...

Oooh, you fly up into the sky with your wonderwings, and dramatically slash your wonderdagger across your wonderbracers, while you sketch in the air wildly with your wonderwand as your wondercloak flaps majestically around you. Then you suddenly disappear and all that is left is the burning after image of...

No... it'd probably be all the gods doing jazz hands while singing "ffaaaaaaaaaaabulous" in  harmony.
  • edited February 2015
    Was there ever a decision on whether or not Jumping and Levitate would be switched?
  • Not to sound inconsiderate, but the wonderwings seem to be much less interesting than the wonderwand. I feel the insanity reduction buffs could have been reduced to 4 passives, each giving reduction to 3 bubbles, rather than spread out as they are. In the way they currently are, it seems they are just trying to find ways to take up some space for the 20 crystal requirement.

I wouldnt have minded other small abilities.

Some examples:

- Ability to ascend into trees.
    - Ability to instantly ascend a mountain to a specified level.
    - Passive ability of being able to fly in high winds, though with aeon-like effect.
    - At 18+ crystals, will be able to fly to location high above basin, with exits to all out-of-basin areas.

etc.
    See, I like the Wings idea better. It's a more coherent idea, and isn't as bad as the 20 previous insane artifacts rolled into the Wand.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I think the wings are fine. The insanity reduction stacking with a circlet is actually pretty amazing. Just wanted to ask though, could someone post a few more examples of wing names, the messages for skydiving (1st and 3rd?) and also confirm whether or not it goes through gpent? Also, I assume it bypasses mono?
  • Dagger of Wunder

Allows you to poison people, respecting resilience, requires balance but doesn't use it and has a reasonable cooldown. Prepended before attacks. Sprinkle in utility between all the major poisons.

Frees up 200 beast trains for all your beast spitters out there!

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Or makes a lock with a specific poison that much more assured. Five chances for me to hit senso? Yespls
    Or allowing people with beast spit to do two poisons? Physical classes doing up to four poisons, damage, wounds, and probable wound affs in a single go?
  • Yeah, let's not add afflictions to wonder artifacts, mmkay?
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited February 2015
    I wasn't being entirely serious with that post, but also it didn't occur to be that people would just beast spit anyway.

EDIT: Also I'm apparently in the wrong thread.

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Has the world ended yet with all the people with jump or has nothing happened as predicted.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Shuyin said:

Has the world ended yet with all the people with jump or has nothing happened as predicted.

Repent! The end is nigh!

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Elanorwen said:

Shuyin said:

Repent! The end is nigh!
    Hey, that's my line today! :(

• Shuyin said:

It'll end in three days, don't worry.
    The world didn't end with damage boost curios and genie bottles, though I think most people agree that they were bad things. :P
  • Think he meant Ascension.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Well, a fuss was raised by multiple people with genies etc, but a fuss was raised by exactly...one person with jump.

Disproportionate scale.
    Heigh ho bandwagon!