What happened to Glomdoring?

I'm kind of shocked to have come back and see Glomdoring at the bottom of the heap.  They dominated for like, 5-6 years there?

Comments

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    The game runs in cycles. Glomdoring was a powerhouse for a while, and now, they're at the bottom. This happens to everyone as the cycle moves on (at the same time, Serenwilde was at the bottom, but is now rising again and doing okay for itself).
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Basically, cycles. Compounded by a lot of the combat leader types having gone inactive/moving on to other things. It's what happens in games like this. I'm optimistic that it'll turn around, but it's going to take time and effort on our parts to get that done.
  • And then there was the blow up and mass exodus.
  • Steingrim said:

And then there was the blow up and mass exodus.

That sounds interesting, can you elaborate?
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Nope. I like not being in forum jail.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Sometimes internal politics and drama fill people with distaste and they either move orgs or stop playing for a while (or alt). You see that happen everywhere too from time to time, the details doesn't really need to be aired like dirty laundry to know it can make an org go from bustling and thriving to tumbleweeds blowing past their nexus.

• edited February 2015
    Lavinya said:

Sometimes internal politics and drama fill people with distaste and they either move orgs or stop playing for a while (or alt). You see that happen everywhere too from time to time, the details doesn't really need to be aired like dirty laundry to know it can make an org go from bustling and thriving to tumbleweeds blowing past their nexus.

IMHO there was a fine line, not always well observed, between making the "we're not tainted" thing fun and making it harassment.  As I recall, some early members of Glomdoring (like Jelaludin and Visaeris?) were basically run out of the org because they predated Viravain's tainting and new characters would use this against them.  I also remember an episode where some established Glomdoring players tried to get Glomdoring's lore changed away from taint which was weird.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited February 2015
    You mean Wyrd?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Very, VERY important distinction. 4-5/6 orgs and their Gods agree that Wyrd != Taint. It's a fine, FINE line to draw sometimes, but it's there. The Wyrd is not Taint. It may not be any better than the Taint, but it is not the Taint.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I was just wordplaying. Low hanging fruit, you know.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    He's talking about the prewyrd time when it literally was taint and glom characters would scream very loudly that it wasn't.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • Turnus said:

He's talking about the prewyrd time when it literally was taint and glom characters would scream very loudly that it wasn't.

I didn't realize they had actually changed it, that's odd.  How exactly did the taint in Glomdoring (from Lusternia's origin story) get turned into wyrd?
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It got re-aspected during the Viravain/Isune event, I think.
  • Jelaludin said:

Turnus said:

I didn't realize they had actually changed it, that's odd.  How exactly did the taint in Glomdoring (from Lusternia's origin story) get turned into wyrd?
    There's a few plays that run through the story remarkably well. I forget the titles, but it's a trilogy that has something to do with Autumn/Winter/Spring.

Each one is an hour long, but they are very well done.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Yeah. This is how I remember it.

Raezon(?) tricked Viravain into using the Seal of Nature to heal Glomdoring. And it actually worked...for about 5 seconds. The Seal broke, Viravain got sucked inside, Isune pulled her out, they happily made the wyrd, Viravain and Isune insisted Glomdoring was now perfectly fine and Celest was like 'She's our goddess, she must be right'.

Saying that 4-5 orgs and their gods believe that the wyrd isn't taint is not exactly true. There was the Isune/Eventru argument (he referred to her in his help file about the taint as a spoilt child who knew absolutely nothing about healing), Horacle disagreed with some other Seren gods, Magnagora has some divided ideas about it, it's actually not a simple matter at all.

• So I guess it's in a gray area then? The fact that it didn't change before/after this wyrd event suggests to me that someone could still view it as being tainted.  Not that I particularly want to get into an argument over it or anything...
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It could be argued thusly IC, but OOC it's pretty well established to be a separate thing, through various events.
  • Also, saying the Wyrd is the same as Taint IC as a Glom is likely not the best idea.
  • Qistrel said:

Yeah. This is how I remember it.

Raezon(?) tricked Viravain into using the Seal of Nature to heal Glomdoring. And it actually worked...for about 5 seconds. The Seal broke, Viravain got sucked inside, Isune pulled her out, they happily made the wyrd, Viravain and Isune insisted Glomdoring was now perfectly fine and Celest was like 'She's our goddess, she must be right'.

Saying that 4-5 orgs and their gods believe that the wyrd isn't taint is not exactly true. There was the Isune/Eventru argument (he referred to her in his help file about the taint as a spoilt child who knew absolutely nothing about healing), Horacle disagreed with some other Seren gods, Magnagora has some divided ideas about it, it's actually not a simple matter at all.

ftfy

• Qistrel said:

The 4-5 comes from mostly the following: Eventru stated over public aethers in Celest that it was not Taint, and that to conflate it with the Taint was A) stupid and B) wrong. He may or may not have considered Isune a spoilt child who knew nothing about healing, but He believed, at least at the time, that it was at least distinct enough to warrant punishing certain individuals who continued to insist they were the same thing. 

I've always understood that when a Mag Elder says 'oh yeah, totally different than the Taint' what they mean is 'Wow, those rubes actually believe it's different than the Taint.'.

And Seren's opinion generally boils down to 'Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. It's wrong either way.' 
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    One Wyrden Goddess from the Fourth Circle is still out there. Breaking hearts. Painting skies. Breeding parrots.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Afaik, Serens opinion was/is

"It's the taint, worse, it's managed to burrow itself even closer to nature. You can dress it up however you like, but its the taint, its a cancer, and it must be removed"

Justifying this stance would probably be the first ascension, we've seen what happens when you take the taint out of the wyrd (around this time), Crow became Raven again (it was so awesome, he and stag met over the basin as friends again), but when the taint returned he reverted. my memory is hazy about further changes to Glomdoring at the time but you could probably search the old forums for them.  
    I had always thought that the reason that Celest changed their stance was more for diplomatic/Raziela reasons. Like their alliance with Glomdoring at the time hinged on their publicly recognising the wyrd as distinct from the taint. Weird.

• I remember that Isune the Aesthete event now, after going to some tainted place with Viravain she came back and suddenly wanted to destroy a bunch of things and had generally seemed to have drunk of Viravain's kool-aid.  Celest needed a justification for its continued alliance with Glomdoring though.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    She was Isune, Wings of Compassion back then. Before She betrayed Her loyal Celest followers and moved to Hallifax.

I am seriously biased against the wyrd, because I was one of the first members of Glomdoring, back when it was taintforest, and played a viscanti Blacktalon, so the wyrd completely destroyed my whole character and stuff. :( I really loved going around telling people that forest wasn't tainted even though I frikkin regenerated in it. Still sad.

• I remember that Isune the Aesthete event now, after going to some tainted place with Viravain she came back and suddenly wanted to destroy a bunch of things and had generally seemed to have drunk of Viravain's kool-aid.  Celest needed a justification for its continued alliance with Glomdoring though.
    (Which Isune event? This one or this one or this one?)
  • Isune said:

I remember that Isune the Aesthete event now, after going to some tainted place with Viravain she came back and suddenly wanted to destroy a bunch of things and had generally seemed to have drunk of Viravain's kool-aid.  Celest needed a justification for its continued alliance with Glomdoring though.
    (Which Isune event? This one or this one or this one?)

I don't remember clearly enough to say which one it was, I just remember Isune being like "now that I've hung out with Viravain for awhile I realize how cool Glomdoring is and I want to destroying things."
  • edited February 2015
    Hmm, going to go on a limb and say the time frame between Door #1 and Door #2, then. It would make sense. At that point, Isune could see nothing but Taint, and Viravain couldn't visibly conceive of the Taint at all. Both Goddesses act unusually in that time frame, to the point that the Creatrix comments on it:

Estarra briefly mentioned later that it seemed Isune and Viravain, then, had something in common, and would need to work together to cure themselves. 

Although! The more I think about it, the build-up to the event of purifying vs wyrdifying Isune could just as easily inspire that behaviour. Isune was wrestling between the Wyrden side of Her and the part of Her that rejected the Wyrd. Since it was an actual and very real possibility that Isune might end up in Glomdoring in the aftermath of this event, it makes sense that She would be entertaining the possibility of joining Viravain's Wyrden shenanigans.

(You may now continue your regularly scheduled foruming.)
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice

I confess to keep track of Isune's known lovers for nefarious purposes.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback