What happened to Glomdoring?

2»

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Siam said:

I confess to keep track of Isune's known lovers for nefarious tapestries

ftfy
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited February 2015
    Saran said:

Afaik, Serens opinion was/is

"It's the taint, worse, it's managed to burrow itself even closer to nature. You can dress it up however you like, but its the taint, its a cancer, and it must be removed"

Justifying this stance would probably be the first ascension, we've seen what happens when you take the taint out of the wyrd (around this time), Crow became Raven again (it was so awesome, he and stag met over the basin as friends again), but when the taint returned he reverted. my memory is hazy about further changes to Glomdoring at the time but you could probably search the old forums for them.  
    I had always thought that the reason that Celest changed their stance was more for diplomatic/Raziela reasons. Like their alliance with Glomdoring at the time hinged on their publicly recognising the wyrd as distinct from the taint. Weird.

When the Taint threatened Nature Itself, the Wyrd arose to defend it. It took the intervention of the Lady Viravain to fully mannifest it on Prime and drive out the Taint that lingered in the Glomdoring. That's our story and we are sticking to it,  unless we get a better one. xD!
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Mael is of the opinion that the physical Wyrd is actually Nature's attempt at cleaning up the Taint, feeding on Tainted material slowly [a la the Poisonous Forest in Nausicaa] and will go dormant once all the Taint's been removed [which has happened before whenever the Taint gets sucked up in a world event and Crow goes back to being Raven et cetera]. 

Suffice to say he's probably one of the few of this opinion. 

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    So this just happened:

The Necromentate's mind opens to you, and a grotesque, demonic figure appears in your mind's eye,
    screaming in torment:
    "THE WYRD AND TAINT ARE AS ONE."
    You have gained a new Magnagoran honour!

• The Necromentate is the disembodied brain that's constantly having spikes driven into it, right? Yeah, I think I'll trust @Viravain about this one :D
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited February 2015
    Maligorn has, up until now, believed that the wyrd is just evolved taint, and that the constant GBTG and NMBG and praising and fixation on the wyrd is a desperate and ultimately futile attempt to absolve themselves of being akin to the taint, which fits in nicely with Crow's Black Sorrow. No matter how many times you say the wyrd is different, the fact of the matter is that it won't change just because you say it did.

However, pragmatic Maligorn also notes that plant life (as far as herbs go) and wyrden foliage is a thriving and living thing, whereas taint (and fire) tends to scour the land of plant life (besides wormwood (obsolete now, bwahaha) and earwort).

The only way we could ever know for sure is if Kethuru broke out and wrested control back of his Taint (converting the whole of Magnagora into Soulless servants) and then tried the same on Glomdoring. If the wyrden forest responds to him, it's taint. If not, it's truly become something else.

EDIT: Though more than likely, what Kethuru would do is strip the magic Isunivain threw into the taint, taking the wyrd OUT of his former Taint, and then proceed with the end of the world. Unfortunately, because of those damned Ascendants, we'll never know.

• Except Magnagora and other tainted lands have absoltuely plenty of flourishing plant life, when we actually PLANT it.
  • Tylwyth said:

Saran said:

Afaik, Serens opinion was/is

"It's the taint, worse, it's managed to burrow itself even closer to nature. You can dress it up however you like, but its the taint, its a cancer, and it must be removed"

Justifying this stance would probably be the first ascension, we've seen what happens when you take the taint out of the wyrd (around this time), Crow became Raven again (it was so awesome, he and stag met over the basin as friends again), but when the taint returned he reverted. my memory is hazy about further changes to Glomdoring at the time but you could probably search the old forums for them.  
    I had always thought that the reason that Celest changed their stance was more for diplomatic/Raziela reasons. Like their alliance with Glomdoring at the time hinged on their publicly recognising the wyrd as distinct from the taint. Weird.

When the Taint threatened Nature Itself, the Wyrd arose to defend it. It took the intervention of the Lady Viravain to fully mannifest it on Prime and drive out the Taint that lingered in the Glomdoring. That's our story and we are sticking to it,  unless we get a better one. xD!
    I like that version but I would note that it's not so different from how Magnagora also fights against the taint when it becomes too big of a problem.  High levels of taint turn you into Gorgulu, moderate levels turn you into Magnagora and lower levels taint you without you even realizing it.  That's my take on it anyway, with Viravain and Isune falling into that latter category.
  • The Eventru comment surprises me as I specifically remember Him saying that the Taint can't be cured or healed and that once tainted, always tainted.

If it is the position of the gods that the taint can in any manner be removed/healed then I find it difficult to understand why this isn't pushed as an active solution.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice

Unlike some cold, heartless high priestess who left an entire commune on their own and that other forest who fled with their (3527 variations of) tails between their legs and locked themselves out of time, we mutated via Virasune fusionha to save nature. Plain old nature withers before the taint(hellew Tar Pits), while wyrden nature strikes back.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• edited February 2015
    lol, Serenwilde left Celestians to die because without them the taint wouldn't have happened so and on so forth, it was the compassion of some in the forest that lead to them helping... a bit, but other than that we don't really know much of what happened with Serenwilde during the taint wars. :P

Also, what I'm hearing is that Gloriana was tainted and now suddenly it doesn't act like natural places anymore? I believe the word for that is... unnatural. ;)
  • Saran said:

Also, what I'm hearing is that Gloriana was tainted and now suddenly it doesn't act like natural places anymore? I believe the word for that is... unnatural. ;)
    Have you not payed attention to the thread? The Wyrd is nature grown strong, not "unnatural."
    xD
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

Saran said:

lol, Serenwilde left Celestians to die because without them the taint wouldn't have happened so and on so forth, it was the compassion of some in the forest that lead to them helping... a bit, but other than that we don't really know much of what happened with Serenwilde during the taint wars. :P

Siam said:

Unlike some cold, heartless high priestess who left an entire commune on their own and that other forest who fled with their (3527 variations of) tails between their legs and locked themselves out of time, we mutated via Virasune fusionha to save nature. Plain old nature withers before the taint(hellew Tar Pits), while wyrden nature strikes back.

Bolded. For emphasis.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Siam said:

Saran said:

Bolded. For emphasis.

Likewise.

We don't actually know what Serenwilde was doing for pretty much the whole taint wars, therefore it was assumed to be a typo. For all we know Serenwilde might have wanted to do something but the Spirits told them not to. (<- An issue i've had with Serenwilde is their lack of presence here)
  • How can one commune "leave" another when they're almost entirely autonomous to begin with? The only thing that truly bound them together in the first place was the tah'vrai accords, wasn't it?

There's not really a lot of love lost; every commune always felt they were the best, purest, and only true commune, anyway. That's how I've understood it, anyway, like historic Serens thought "Wow, that really sucks for Gloriana." But not much more than that except for, "Thank god it hasn't happened to us, so SHUT THE DOOR NAO SO IT DOESN'T". Every commune focused on themselves, just as different cities do.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Our general stance is that the Serenwilde was doing something, but as the Taint War raged on, decided that there was no way they could win. They welcomed refugees, such as the remnants of the Ackleberry and the centaurs from the Glorianna, along with a few others that came their way, but they sent out no army and took no active part in the war, choosing instead to "lock down" and hope to survive through strategic actions (sinking the ships).
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Serenwilde's default response to most stuff is to activate siege mode and wait for everyone else to kill each other.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    It worked, didn't it? :)

Celest got blowed up.
    Magnagora and Glomdoring got ickified.
    Ackleberry poofed.
    Hallifax and Gaudiguch got tangled in the timey-wimey.

Serenwilde looked around and went, "Huh, we're the only ones who escaped unscathed. We must've been right!"
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.

You cold-hearted forestals.

#bringShikariback