Combat Balance/Death Penalties

Comments

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Shaddus said:

On a personal note, I actually meant psychic push instead of fling. I don't know if fling would stop deathnote tics if you were in the room for them.

It does.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    You don't even need a fear enchantment. You have Illusions <<

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Maligorn said:

Lolno
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Not really, because anyone intelligent has their reflexes off during deathsong, and most will see illusions and realise it's an illusion if they actually think about it.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    mugwump being able to pull off a bn/pfifth/deathsong has always been possible. It's not a bug.

It's a pretty lame thing to do, and it only kills people who don't know what their doing and it's not 100%.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    edited March 2015
    Guys, I don't mean illusions...

I mean literally the skillset Illusions.
    Spook               From your nightmares, craft forth a powerful illusion.
    • Apprentice 66%
    Syntax: WEAVE SPOOK 
    From your darkest nightmares, you can weave the illusion that will scare any personal enemies who see it.

It could be worse. It could be old Herbbane.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Shaddus said:

On a personal note, I actually meant psychic push instead of fling. I don't know if fling would stop deathnote tics if you were in the room for them.

Fling works... unless the target can't fly and falls down before the next tic happens. Of course if you're indoors, it's a completely moot point. As a mage, he should have access to elementalism gust, too. And if worst comes to worse... freaking train your beast to sleepcloud and get a sleep enchant for insta-sleep in one balance.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Maligorn said:

Guys, I don't mean illusions...

I mean literally the skillset Illusions.
    Spook               From your nightmares, craft forth a powerful illusion.

• Apprentice 66%
    Syntax: WEAVE SPOOK 
    From your darkest nightmares, you can weave the illusion that will scare any personal enemies who see it.

Neos said:

Maligorn said:

Lolno
    Spook is the Fog of Phantasms
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Arcanis said:

Celina said:

Arcanis said:

Yarith said:

My figures were more along the lines of 6-8 for BN and 2-5(maybe less) for P5, but it's only a little here and there.

I was abstaining from commenting but eh.

As a TK user you have (Correct me if I am wrong) a 100% way to remove me out of the room provided there aren't any icewalls or stonewalls.
    You had eight seconds unhindered (Shadowrave aside) to stop dirge.  Even if you can't push/fling you have access to have gust enchant, beastmastery gust and fear enchant as well as blindness poison and any other guild skills I may not be familiar with.

If you spend the whole eight seconds doing nothing then you're probably bound to die to any tactic if you're perfectfifth'd.

The point of the matter wasnt a way to cancel you by use of other abilities, but to regain deafness by the common protection of eating earwort, which is the common use of it. The fact my earache did -not- go away and you were able to do a complete deathsong from start to end, shows an obvious bug. It's basically as if saying I could chasm someone unhindered before they can writhe our of a leglock.
    Celina said:

Earache has a variable timer with a minimum and maximum. You will always recover before a deathsong completes.

Except I didnt, thus the issue.
    Maligorn said:

Oh, well. Actually, I think Arcanis is right in what he's testing -- I remember dying like ten times during a fleshpot raid (enemied to Vortex, Gaudiguch and Illums), though we killed defenders and 4 fleshpots -- I actually came out a teensy bit ahead in exp. Exp loss may in fact be different for mortals versus demis.

You could've just, like, asked.

Another observation I've had is actually Baelfyre's constant deaths on Celestia, and yet he still seems to come back swinging. Raiding may in fact be much more suitable for mortals.

Because pfifth extends the earache. Kind of like I said.

Being unable to work around a mechanic isn't the same as the mechanic being broken. It's been like this for 5+ years. Somehow I've managed to not get solo deathsonged in all that time.

Buy a fear enchant and move on.

How is it logical that the one basic form of defense to a bard, being deafness, will be completed negated long enough for them to do a timed instantkill that requires no setup? Also I've seen it in use, I am able to negate it by simply eating earwort, and then suddenly in these scenarios I am not? If randomness is the mechanic here, then just remove it, because anything random in something as delicate as combat balance is just asking for trouble, otherwise it'll have to be an abuse of a bug, because i've fought several bards before and this is the first time I've not been able to reapply deafness in time to negate a deathsong that, quite literally, was a walk in, blaknote/pfifth and wait.

No, the idea that the solution of "buy a fear enchantmentz" is -not- combat balance. You cant expect to tell everyone getting into combat "oh you died because you didnt think to try and fear them. What? You didnt think of that? sucks to be you". -THIS- is what is wrong with Lusternian combat and -THIS- is why people arent caring to give 2 shits about it anymore. Nonetheless, I shouldnt 'have to' have the ability to fear or fling the individual. Deafness -should work to negate the song- after an earache. There is obviously something wrong here, though it seems alot of lusternia mechanics are just broken these days.
    Hahahaha. Sorry, I chortled.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    @Arcanis at some point you're going to have to stop claiming every mechanic you don't know how to counter, even the really simple ones, are "what is wrong with Lusternia."

The point of the fear enchantment isn't "lol, sucks to be you." It's a suggestion to demonstrate you don't know how to counter a person with a paused system for 8 seconds with the most basic game affliction, and you aren't in a place to complain about mechanics if you don't even the understand mechanics. The abundance of simple counters to this tactic means it really only works on people who don't know what they are doing. It is completely absent as a tactic at the top tier, which is where combat is balanced at. You need practice, not nerf rants.

There is actually an abundance of ways to stop all of the timed instas. Bard pfifth/deathsong isn't any more dangerous than barrier/chasm which has been around for even longer. Weird how you aren't ranting about that though.
    Celina said:

Bard pfifth/deathsong isn't any more dangerous than barrier/chasm which has been around for even longer. Weird how you aren't ranting about that though.

(It's because he uses it to kill midbies)

• @Arcanis
     If randomness is the mechanic here, then just remove it, because anything random in something as delicate as combat balance is just asking for trouble

So, You are saying you want everything with an RNG roll/random factor to be removed, because, randomness is asking for trouble? Okay...
    ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂ ɪᴛs ʀᴀɪɴɪɴɢ sᴀʟᴛ! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂                                ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    So, while we're talking about instas, I'm curious, how are the various instakills stopped?  Ie if I prone a bard, does that halt his deathsong?  Paralyze him?  How about soulless?  I realize I know like, nothing about stopping them, heh.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Different instakills have different blocks.  Pretty much all of the timed & channeled instakkills can be universally stopped by either blinding them or removing them from the room.  Some can be blocked by proning the caster (to which Web works as well as Paralysis).

So, generally, blinding the person or moving them are the universal go-to choice, but you can paralyze / web / etc. sometimes too (such as webbing someone trying to use Pureblade Decapitate).
  • Xenthos said:

Different instakills have different blocks.  Pretty much all of the timed & channeled instakkills can be universally stopped by either blinding them or removing them from the room.  Some can be blocked by proning the caster (to which Web works as well as Paralysis).

So, generally, blinding the person or moving them are the universal go-to choice, but you can paralyze / web / etc. sometimes too (such as webbing someone trying to use Pureblade Decapitate).

Or sleep!
    ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂ ɪᴛs ʀᴀɪɴɪɴɢ sᴀʟᴛ! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ☂                                ヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、`ヽ`、ヽヽ`ヽ`、ヽヽ`

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I don't think sleep blocks Soulless or Chasm, but peace and blindness are both definites for (pretty sure) all instakills.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Sleep blocks soulless, trust me, I'd know :(
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    For blind, do they have to be blind at a specific point, or is it any time during the channel?
    Sleep blocks chasm if they're asleep when it ticks. If they happen to passively wake up before a tic, it keeps going.
    Tarkenton said:

For blind, do they have to be blind at a specific point, or is it any time during the channel?

They have to have the affliction at the periodic check, including the last one at the end.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Silvanus said:

I don't think sleep blocks Soulless or Chasm, but peace and blindness are both definites for (pretty sure) all instakills.

Don't see why it wouldn't Can you keep concentrating on what you're doing while asleep?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Shaddus said:

Sleep blocks chasm if they're asleep when it ticks. If they happen to passively wake up before a tic, it keeps going.

Elanorwen said:

Silvanus said:

Don't see why it wouldn't Can you keep concentrating on what you're doing while asleep?
    What Shaddus said is why I thought it doesn't block Chasm. Technically, it does, but only if you are asleep when one of the two tics happens.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    Silvanus said:

Shaddus said:

Elanorwen said:

Silvanus said:

What Shaddus said is why I thought it doesn't block Chasm. Technically, it does, but only if you are asleep when one of the two tics happens.
    The same applies to people being moved out of the room, flying, being blinded, etc, etc. If anything removes the effect without the person channeling interrupting, the kill still goes through. I think the most annoying time I ever died was flying after a decap started and getting highjumped by an acro and pulled in to get my head chopped off.

• Lerad said:

Arcanis said:

Celina said:

Arcanis said:

Yarith said:

My figures were more along the lines of 6-8 for BN and 2-5(maybe less) for P5, but it's only a little here and there.

I was abstaining from commenting but eh.

As a TK user you have (Correct me if I am wrong) a 100% way to remove me out of the room provided there aren't any icewalls or stonewalls.
    You had eight seconds unhindered (Shadowrave aside) to stop dirge.  Even if you can't push/fling you have access to have gust enchant, beastmastery gust and fear enchant as well as blindness poison and any other guild skills I may not be familiar with.

If you spend the whole eight seconds doing nothing then you're probably bound to die to any tactic if you're perfectfifth'd.

The point of the matter wasnt a way to cancel you by use of other abilities, but to regain deafness by the common protection of eating earwort, which is the common use of it. The fact my earache did -not- go away and you were able to do a complete deathsong from start to end, shows an obvious bug. It's basically as if saying I could chasm someone unhindered before they can writhe our of a leglock.
    Celina said:

Earache has a variable timer with a minimum and maximum. You will always recover before a deathsong completes.

Except I didnt, thus the issue.
    Maligorn said:

Oh, well. Actually, I think Arcanis is right in what he's testing -- I remember dying like ten times during a fleshpot raid (enemied to Vortex, Gaudiguch and Illums), though we killed defenders and 4 fleshpots -- I actually came out a teensy bit ahead in exp. Exp loss may in fact be different for mortals versus demis.

You could've just, like, asked.

Another observation I've had is actually Baelfyre's constant deaths on Celestia, and yet he still seems to come back swinging. Raiding may in fact be much more suitable for mortals.

Because pfifth extends the earache. Kind of like I said.

Being unable to work around a mechanic isn't the same as the mechanic being broken. It's been like this for 5+ years. Somehow I've managed to not get solo deathsonged in all that time.

Buy a fear enchant and move on.

How is it logical that the one basic form of defense to a bard, being deafness, will be completed negated long enough for them to do a timed instantkill that requires no setup? Also I've seen it in use, I am able to negate it by simply eating earwort, and then suddenly in these scenarios I am not? If randomness is the mechanic here, then just remove it, because anything random in something as delicate as combat balance is just asking for trouble, otherwise it'll have to be an abuse of a bug, because i've fought several bards before and this is the first time I've not been able to reapply deafness in time to negate a deathsong that, quite literally, was a walk in, blaknote/pfifth and wait.

No, the idea that the solution of "buy a fear enchantmentz" is -not- combat balance. You cant expect to tell everyone getting into combat "oh you died because you didnt think to try and fear them. What? You didnt think of that? sucks to be you". -THIS- is what is wrong with Lusternian combat and -THIS- is why people arent caring to give 2 shits about it anymore. Nonetheless, I shouldnt 'have to' have the ability to fear or fling the individual. Deafness -should work to negate the song- after an earache. There is obviously something wrong here, though it seems alot of lusternia mechanics are just broken these days.
    Hahahaha. Sorry, I chortled.
    Lerad said:

Steingrim said:

Ssaliss said:

Eritheyl said:

And the situation really isn't all that 'tricky' for anyone, lol. Either a) be logical and condemn the individual, not the org, b) get over it and get back to skipping through the meadows with us, or c) sit with someone else during lunch period - Gaudiguch reeeaaally doesn't caaare.

Well, to be fair, when we did a) and enemied the people who created eafs, Gaudiguch got really annoyed and it essentially lead to the dissolution of the alliance. Granted, odds are it would've happened anyway, but... yeah.
    What led to the dissolution is was failure of Glom to step up and explain their position. You could have instead explained your position and urged Gaudi to do a temp ban until you had more Gaudis understanding your situation. Part of diplomacy is explaining your position. But know, Glom maters more than the fae, so instead of working to stop Gaudi from making eaf, you all threw a hissy fit and the result...Gaudi continues to make eaf. Protecting fae < Glom's ego.
    What? I'm sorry, I snorted here too.

You really do enjoy expressing what type of laughter you apparently did when reading a post.

• edited March 2015
    As to my mortal vs demigod research.

Dying in enemy territory as a mortal loses me only roughly 0.5% xp

Praying for salvation loses me roughly 7% xp.

Edit: Oh, though dont forget that mortals can conglutinate, which costs no extra experience.
  • There is, actually, a difference for demis when it comes to conglut. A demi without conglut will lose essence as if they were on the Prime Plane if they die off-plane. It's just so common for demis to have conglut that it never really comes into play.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    @Arcanis Yeah, on my one raid of Glom I lost like less that 1% even though I was enemied. I think it was 0.6%. You could have asked me to go raid stuff and die, you know, to test this.

@Tarkenton If you're psymet, Suspended Animation also stops Soulless! Though, Psychicpush would probably be cheaper and easier.

I feel like @Arcanis should owe everyone in the game a credit whenever he runs to forums crying about some well known mechanic

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited March 2015
    Synkarin said:

I feel like @Arcanis should owe everyone in the game a credit whenever he runs to forums crying about some well known mechanic

Im not that rich...though if you are supplying, then sure.

Besides, not like the forums are that active to begin with.