Failure of the Envoy System

SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
We are here, once again, to talk about the failure of the Envoy system.

Estarra has gone with and added Shackles to Celestines, when every single Envoy besides the Celestine/Kelly voted no to it. Not a single reason was brought up to why Celestines needed more hindering to go on top of Inquisition. A skill that has been complained about since the beginning of Lusternia (note, two skills actually, shackles and Inquisition) was given to another guild and buffed their already annoying skill, a skill that didn't need buffing at all.

What's the point of having Envoys if we are just going to ignore what the Envoys say? You choose us to be the voice for our guilds, you asked us to comment on other reports, weighing in on the options. What's the point of even commenting if we are just going to be ignored?

It is situations like this which has led us to where we are today. There is a reason why the Overhaul system has to be done, there is a reason why all of this has to be redone, there is a reason why people think combat is annoying here. It is because decisions like this, where the Envoy or the community is ignored, and you go ahead with your plan anyways.

Where is the plan for the Nihilists? A guild's skills will be completely destroyed once the Overhaul is done with, and I am left to fend for myself on what the Nihilist direction should take.  Not a single person has attempted to communicate with me (outside of Saesh, thank god for one reasonable person who is now gone) on what should be done. I was never once contacted for what the Pacts should be replaced with, yet Estarra specifically mentioning talking to Kelly about the Pacts. She also mentioned that she will weigh their opinions on both the Nihilist and the Celestine envoy to replace it with, yet I was never once contacted, and my comment was completely ignored in the report.

2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It should be noted that while they have Shackles and Inquisition, and that is a reasonable critique, the two cannot be used at the same time. 
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    To echo what was said, it has been made painfully clear to us all that the envoy system is not a democracy.

No matter how many people you get on board with an idea, if it doesn't agree with the admin's, then you're out of luck. Even if you present evidence and get both sides of the partisanship to agree.

On top of this, I really dislike the implication that the primary envoy's position carries the most weight. Want to know why? Because the primary envoy can be also be wrong

Not even mentioning that the primary envoy didn't even say anything and instead deferred it all to Kelly, lol, who the admin have personally known to be quite reasonable.
    edited April 2015
    Also forgot to mention that Silvanus didn't even get his own input put in. Last I checked, half the report was supposed to be for Mag too.

Only Celest's input was listened to.

Rofl come on.

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    I'm also pretty salty about this myself.

If you can't trust us to not "gang up" on other orgs without sufficient reason, @Estarra , then what is the point of having us as Envoys. We were chosen as Envoys because we are A. intimately familiar with combat and B. because we are all mature enough to make fair and reasonable advice and decisions. Not just Kelly.

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    It was my indication that envoys did agree that shackles with inqui caveat would be more reasonable, and any arguments against shackles devolved into some ranting inquisition tangent. After our conversation, I went and talked to other envoys and players who actually had experience with the class, and they agreed that shackles would be fine. And after implementation, if that turns out to not be the case, then I will happily listen to "I told you so"s and fix it.

Silvanus, I wasn't solicited regarding Nihilist pacts nor have I volunteered any opinion on it.

I don't really appreciate some implication that my integrity is questionable, or moreover that I am being given bias for personal reasons. I think that's pretty disrespectful, to the Admin and to myself. I didn't "sneak" any comments in, I didn't control the report's submission, I didn't skirt any system, and I didn't ask to be the judge and jury on it. I shouldn't have to defend myself here, but I did my best to approach it by looking at other guardian/wiccan classes and coupled that with my own Celestine knowledge. If the general feeling is that Celestines should sacrifice all hindering because they have good defense, then I'm sure they will be the first to say that they'd give up that defense, and I'm not above nerfing those skills if that's what's being implicated. But calling this some hugely selfish and game-breaking buff is really a lot of nonsense.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I brought up the point because they sought you out and brought their ideas of pacts to you, and gave you the option.

I was completely ignored. My comment ignored. No one ever sought me out. There has been no communication at all since Saesh has left. He at least came to me with ideas on the things that were going to be changed because he knew that Nihilists were getting shorted.

I've had zero communication since and have been ignored. Who wouldn't feel salty about that and begin to question things?
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    If that's your complaint then yeah, sorry you didn't get your comments reviewed. I didn't say anything about pacts, I was just asked for my opinion on the shackles pledge debate.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    The only envoy I saw openly say they were okay with the shackles caveat was Marcella (besides you and Saoirse), even Jaamil said that Celestines didn't really need shackles and he was fine with epilepsy. Hell, even you said epilepsy was a good compromise before  you were handed the reigns. Envoys from every org but Celest were against this change, yet it still got pushed through and all their opinions ignored for a few envoys and players 'who have experience' because I guess the rest of us can't think or use reason about Celestines since we've never played them, amirite? How many of those players were also Celestian

This is definitely a case of 'the grass is greener' but from the Celest viewpoint seeing other guardian/wiccans guilds as better.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Can we also stop with the hyperbole. You already got your buff, so can we do the real talk now.

Celestines have hindering. Not the best in the game, but this is balanced by inquisition's nature and the best defences in the game.

And again, words mean nothing. You gotta give to receive. And all I've been seeing are gains.

Gonna call it now, no report will ever come out of Celest that even tries to address either inquisition or true heal. Buff trains from here on out. The depressing part is that we can't really do anything about it.
  • I never met with Kelly or anyone except for the report where I asked for input and then later asked her to message me.

Anyway, we've always taken envoy input as advice but ultimately we must rely on our own judgment, whether you agree with it or not and even if it goes against the popular opinions. That's how it has always been. Anyway, I don't think anyone was ignored and I appreciate that some envoys had different opinions. We did adjust shackles for inquisition which I think was a good compromise.

I apologize if you think we didn't listen or treat you with well. This isn't the first unpopular decision we've made and won't be our last but I still believe it was the correct one.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I had a whole spiel about ascension and favoritism typed up, but deleted it. Let's just go with:

Why have envoys at all if you're going to do what you want, when you want, regardless of balance issues? Further, where exactly is shackles in the Celestine RP? Every other power "makes sense", and the only real way to justify RP-wise this is giving it to Raziela because she shackles (albeit with her hair) fae. Celestines don't need shackles. They do fine enough as it is.

What's next, Celestians get a 50 dmp divine buff if they're merian?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Japhiel -> Justice -> Shackles

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited April 2015
    Edit for clarification: this is directed at Kelly

Considering you just stated that the "envoys agreed with the inqui caveat," which is flatly untrue and demonstrably so as you can still read that report, yes, your integrity is most certainly in question. I can name at least 6 off the top of my head who are against it full stop, a few of which have commented here. Considering that you did not actually inquire about Wiccan hindering, you went off your own personal perspective that is not shared by really anyone. 

The point is you didn't nerf those skills. You can't agree that inquisition is too strong and say you are okay with removing your defensive powerhouse skills, and then do not actually do anything as if just saying the words makes you "reasonable." You can't pay the bills with promises. If you're not doing anything about it, you're really just a talking head accepting X buff with one hand while saying it's totally fine because you would, hypothetically, be okay with nerfing Y skill in return.

You took what you knew about wiccans, without actually consulting say...myself who would have given you a detailed run down of our actual hindering abilities...and what you knew about Celestines. That is bias, no matter how you spin it. We all do it, like I said, but we all go through an  honest process where that bias is vetted by people with a better understanding and different perspectives. We have to defend our ideas, and when things get rejected almost unilaterally by the envoy community, they usually don't make it through. This process wasn't honest or fair, and that was made clear up front, and you took advantage of it to bypass the rest of us. That's not honesty, that's not integrity. 

And you know what, it's not game breaking and no one said it was. Not everything has to be game breaking to be a bad idea. You can say whatever you want about that comment you clearly snuck in, but that's the justification you gave to the admin and gave none of us who actually know how wiccan hindering works to correct you. So whether you had control  of the submission or not, you snuck that justification in and only told us about it after the fact. So don't play.

I was nice and calm and tried to be as thoughtful as possible throughout this whole ordeal. 

edit: Even now, we have no idea what Celestines lost that was equitable to passive shackles. Even Kelly was admitting, if not purposefully, that she just wanted to buff Celestine hindering. There is a huge disconnect here between what Estarra is said, that Celestines lost x abilities and needed to compensate, and Kelly's position that Celestines needed a buff for more hindering regardless of the overhaul changes because nihilists/wiccans/illuminati/researchers. Why is that not a glaring problem?

Maligorn said:

Japhiel -> Justice -> Shackles

...ok, well played.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Envoys are to give advice and we often follow that advice but sometimes we do not. That's how it has always been. There is certainly no Celest favoritism. (We often get charged of favoritism and it's interesting to see how admin's 'favorite org' changes almost daily--but we really have no horse in the race.)

Shackles are on Japhiel who I believe would rather restrain those he passes judgment on rather than something more violent. It makes RP sense to me!
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I can post the logs of the big conversation later, if it's relevant.

This is a pretty clear cut instance of the standard operating procedure being ignored in a a way that provides a BIG benefit to one guild, in the absence of anything like it happening to anyone else.
    edited April 2015
    To clarify, my bias comment is directed at Kelly and the envoys (including myself), and not the admin. We all possess bias as players, it's the  nature of the game. We can only be a limited number of guilds, and no matter how long we play, we always look at pk mechanics through the filter of the part of the game we know. It's totally understandable, but that bias goes through the sieve of the other envoys who say "hey, that's not really how that works because x y and z." That didn't happen here, and that's where the bias comes a big factor in how this played out. Not that the admin played favorites with Celest, but that the Celest envoy was basically judge and jury about how other classes worked and compared, which was her inaccurate justification for why Celestines needed an out of cycle envoy buff.
    We haven't had an April Fools post in a few years, maybe this is it. >.>
  • "Let's be honest, Celestines didn't need Shackles," says the guy who realizes this even though he hasn't played in like five years.
    It's pretty bad when even Talkan says Celestines don't need shackles.
    Sorry that you feel personally slighted. I was asked for my opinion on the debate and gave it. I'm at peace with that, and if I made a mistake, then I'll be glad to learn from it.

You are right, Celina, I did agree to a buff that Celestines did not have, because it is something that I have thought they should have since even before this pledge/pact overhaul was put on the table (though I had nothing to do with the initial proposal, beyond comments on that blackout report) and which I attempted to explain in the report. I'll talk with you about my wiccan and general comments, if you actually want to discuss it, but I'm not really interested in having it out on forums or in an environment that is making it personal.

Props to whoever dug up Talkan.
    edited April 2015
    Kaimanahi said:

Sorry that you feel personally slighted. I was asked for my opinion on the debate and gave it. I'm at peace with that, and if I made a mistake, then I'll be glad to learn from it.

You are right, Celina, I did agree to a buff that Celestines did not have, because it is something that I have thought they should have since even before this pledge/pact overhaul was put on the table (though I had nothing to do with the initial proposal, beyond comments on that blackout report) and which I attempted to explain in the report. I'll talk with you about my wiccan and general comments, if you actually want to discuss it, but I'm not really interested in having it out on forums or in an environment that is making it personal.

Props to whoever dug up Talkan.
    No point. If you wanted input and to talk about it, you would have asked before and not after. The fact that you are admitting to doing this for reasons totally unrelated to what Estarra said the intent was, to rebalance replace what Celestines lost with the Overhaul, is really just the nail in the coffin to this conversation. You're admitting to abusing the system. So I guess conversation over.

There's no personal slight. Don't try to deflect this back on me. I didn't do anything but try to play fair and provide you with some honesty.
  • edited April 2015
    Firstly, From an RP perspective, im not sure how the concept of shackling/enchaining would even fit for Celestines...it was always clearly a favorite of Nifilhema and a signature ability, alongside her crucifix. I suppose someone could debate "Chaining the enemies of the Light!" but it just seems like a poor theme.

Secondly, as for the Envoy system, I have repeatedly mentioned its flawed design which somehow allows a group of hand-picked players to have the power and somehow responsibility to decide what is 'balanced' and what needs changing for abilities to all players game-wide. Why is it we are to trust in the apparent wisdom of 1 person to hopefully represent and 'defend' our class? Most envoys in history (even current ones) would admit they know squat about combat and were just picked as a placeholder for the job (With many that just go inactive). This is a reason the evnoys have always been seen as a hostile aggressive battlefield, where apparently we are sending in a 'champion' to fight the 'attacks' of other envoys on our skills. It's a flawed concept, where we are only getting 1/10th of the playerbase's perspective, voice and insight onto abilities that affects us all.

I approached Estarra a few months ago about this very concept actually, and mentioned how Lusternia currently is the only IRE game that still utilized this out-dated idea of 'skill balancing'. Each of the other IRE games (Not sure on MKO), now utilize a system wherein anyone (fitting a certain criteria of playtime and transcendent skills) can submit a 'report' for a skill, with suggestions for changes or new abilities. In some, like Achaea, a player could make a report for any skill in the game, naturally the report being considered more if it is for their own class. Players could also choose to support, comment or reject a report in some games. These reports were later reviewed (admittedly in some games with input from high ranking combatants) and the changes then made accordingly. The new report system turned out to be a huge success, and players felt like they were actually being heard.
  • edited April 2015
    If there is a fault with the envoy system, it won't be because the envoys are people who "know squat about combat". If there's anyone who knows squat about combat, it's you.

Envoys also are supposed to talk to the people they represent. I know Janalon always asked my advice, and possibly other Nekotai members' advice for all of her reports, and asked for suggestions, feedbacks and incorporated them into her reports. I have also made an effort to do the same with people like Athree, Tarkenton and other Nekotai. Perhaps if your envoy never did ask for your advice, you might want to look in a mirror and consider why instead of coming to the forums with your baseless accusations and whining.

The other IREs have their versions of classleads or liaisons or envoys or whatever they call it, and that's fine. Those systems certainly do have their advantages over ours, and if we were to change it to something similar, I won't be too concerned. However, they also have their disadvantages, like the need for filtering through a lot of content all the time - they also don't do their updates every month the way we do, quite a few only do it once in a few months, or at the arbitrary decision of the admin because of the immense amount of work that goes into it. I personally think that having a monthly system where progress is consistently made to change things can have a positive effect the other systems are missing out on. To try and pass those off as the be-all and end-all is simply (yet another) fallacy.

I think the Lusternian envoy system could do with improvements. And I'm glad Estarra replied and communicated her stance and her perspective. There may still be improvements to be made, or discussed, and this thread might still have a purpose. However, we don't need people who have less than a working grasp of the system or a delusional idea of how things should be to mess up this conversation.

Welcome! Glad to have you.
  • I would respond to many of the questions of "what is the point of the envoy system". The point is to be advocates for change that you want to see happen. You are a lobbyist, you are not senators.. You submit your legislation to the senators who then make the decision to push that, or push some form of it, or drop it. It is on you to make your case strong enough that it remains in tact through the legislative (admin) process and ultimately you have no control over if it gets co-opted and changed. You have a voice, which is more than most players, but you do not have the right to decide.

That said, I do think a mistake is being made in addressing only the Celestines and not both the Celestines and the Nihilists. This game has been brilliantly designed with parity. Every city has an opposite, every guild has an opposite in that city. I think the mistake has been trying to treat every change as something that is self contained as opposed to something that is intractably linked to two organizations and setting a precedent for other organizations. This doesn't mean every change to the Celestine's must also be followed with a change to the Nihilists, but I think it needs to be viewed in the context of both the Nihilists and the Celestines.

However, I am not saying that this necessarily isn't true. We just don't really have insight into the administrative process. Ultimately, this is probably a good thing, nobody is happy when they find out how the sausage is made. However, I think a comment regarding if this is or isn't the case would be useful, and if changes are not looked at how they would balance a certain organization against their opposite, I would be interested in learning why that is.
    Congratulations! By order of Newt Blasterson, you've been named a Master of the Aetherways!
    2015/12/09 23:54:29 - Pejat drained 2000000 power to raise Davos as a Vernal Ascendant.
    You use 80,000,000 of your divine essence. You gain BeauteousThought as a supernumerary power.