Congratulations!

CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
I hope this doesn't count as religious or political. 

Excuse my lame cheesiness for a moment, I'm have a case of the feels today. Lusternia has always been a profoundly welcoming and inclusive community. I came out during my time as a Lusternian player in a small, Southern town in Texas and finding a community, even if it was just over the internet, helped me feel a little less alone. The Lusternian community, even though I don't often talk about it, has been there as I grew into myself, as I not only came to terms with my sexuality, but learned to love myself because of it. 

So I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS to all my fellow American Lusternians. Today is a beautiful new day.

Comments

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    My personal religious/political affiliations fall on the wrong side of this issue.  However, my personal beliefs have always been that everyone should be welcome to enjoy the three rings of marriage (the engagement ring, the wedding ring, and the suffeRING).  So congrats guys and gals!

Now, my biggest question, in the wake of this, is are divorce laws updated?  I'm not saying that same sex couples are going to get married and immediately get divorced, but if all the laws are still written as man and woman, I could see there being hilarious legal issues happening in the future.  Or is this a non-issue?  I'll be the first to admit to having a tenuous grasp at best on laws that don't directly impact me.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It's complicated, in general you couldn't get a same sex divorce in a jurisdiction that didn't recognize ssm. That isn't any of them anymore, however. There may be a need for court cases to clear up relevant language, but the language of the scotus opinion will make appeals to uphold divorce bans just as futile as upholding marriage bans.
  • That was only a not really that funny issue where people who got married in one state moved to a state that didn't recognize same sex marriages and then that state refused to grant divorces to the gay couple.

Most states have some kind of residency requirements for divorces so they were caught stuck in a bad situation.

If you allow for marriages then you will be required to grant divorces. Divorce is one of the most beneficial social institutions that we have. It makes sure that no one is put out on the street and that children will be cared for. Denying that to people causes actual harm.

• Wow some big news happened while I was at work. Pretty cool stuff. Seconding that the Lusternia community has always been really great about this and related issues. That's a really great thing about our players and admins.
  • edited June 2015
    For those who don't know, gay marriage is now legal in all 50 states of USA. This makes USA the 20th country to fully legalise gay marriage.

Congratulations.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I must say, I'm somewhat upset by this.

I am now no longer able to counter people touting America as the land of Freedom with "except if you're gay". Although I guess I'll extend that to adoptions now.
  • edited June 2015
    Manteekan said:
    @Darvellan will you IG gay marry me?
    Would be cool to see, since we lost @Eventru and @Lyreth >_>
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'd officiate that.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited June 2015
    Manteekan said:
    @Darvellan will you IG gay marry me?
  • Texan. No wonder @Celina's so crazy.

Seems like this ruling has been a long time coming, though I can still remember a time when it sounded impossible, and that faith led to only one conclusion on the issue. So much has changed so quickly.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I too am a Texan ;)
  • Enyalida said:
    I too am a Texan ;)
    Oh, I know. And it explains everything :p
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • In all my butthurt over the PK I missed this wonderful news. I certainly still have my life thanks to being able to be myself here. GG America!
  • I'd like to see spooky star children.
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • Salome said:
    I'd like to see spooky star children.
    Ohh... they'd be like icy... mist stars. Sparkly and cold and bluish pink... I agree. And now I know what to write about for the library contest.
  • Kethaera said:
    Salome said:
    I'd like to see spooky star children.
    Ohh... they'd be like icy... mist stars. Sparkly and cold and bluish pink... I agree. And now I know what to write about for the library contest.
    I can't wait for this. MAKE IT HAPPEN, I want to see it. Lemons, slash, everything.
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • edited June 2015
    Yay for 'merican's. ^_^

Sadly, Austalia is still dragging its heels (our Prime Minister couldn't even bring himself to say the words "Same sex-marriage" when referencing "What has happened in America") so apparently all the people on the "other side" are threatening to come here :'(

I'm hoping for some kind of exchange, though we'd probably want the beaches... Florida maybe for Newstralia?
  • Deal. NO BACKS WE HAVE THIS IN WRITING.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Noooooooooo. I don't want your rejects, America.

• Butbutbut, I just want a land where every marriage is gay :(