Should we have a "Rants" thread?

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited August 2015
    You're definitely not reading if you think if I have some desire for you to change or apologize for your opinion, or that I take issue with you explaining your perspective (I even find it interesting). I take issue with how you mischaracterize those that disagree with you as expecting the above. Those two paragraphs really had nothing to do with the quoted post.

Really though, can we get back to the drag queens. I'm not an expert in psychology, but I am an expert on shade and sass. You're like the Michelle Visage to my RuPaul.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Shaddus blinks and shuffles around impatiently.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    If only we had a rants thread to vent about armchair psychologists.
  • Kethaera said:
    Lavinya said:
    Draylor.

Also I can't help myself but I have to comment on this: "People with diagnosed depression are not psychological snowflakes- if they were, we would need a different medication for every single person with depression, because brain chemistry would be completely unpredictable." There is no one cure all medication for depression. There are many, many different types, strengths and other variables used to treat it, because not everyone reacts the same way to the same medication. Two people with depression taking the same medication may result in one seeing great improvements, and the other take a severe turn for the worse. It's often a bit of trial and error to find just the right medication for each individual. Like many other medications, foods and allergens are fine for some but others react to them, with different levels of severity and in different ways.

Venting is the same. There is no one perfect cure-all that works for everyone, all the time. People deal with their frustrations differently.
    As someone with diagnosed depression who has been prescribed medication for it(and no longer requires it), I tend to agree in part- but that doesn't prove the point that you and Celina seem to believe it does. We don't, for example, tell depressed people to just take some Tylenol because really, who knows if that'll be more effective than Zoloft? Or hitting yourself with a hammer until you feel less depressed. Everyone's different, so try anything until something works!

...No. There are patterns of brain chemistry that have led to certain medications being prescribed over others, and certain types of therapies known to be more effective for X conditions. Now, human beings are complicated, and I have never suggested they weren't, and psychology is an extremely subjective science, so not all medications/therapies/ways of resolving conflict are necessarily going to lead to the same results every time. We can still make generalities about most people, because all people have human brains that can be studied and patterns that can be observed. That's... science. Or as much of science as psychology and sociology allows.

I don't agree that venting is an effective way of dealing with frustrations. If you do, I've already stated that I have no intention of STOPPING a rants thread from being created, let alone telling you you can't rant generally elsewhere. You find it helpful? That's awesome, really. Get a grant to do a study on it and write a psychology paper. I read a lot of those, maybe I'll read yours and change my mind. 

We done now?

• >.>

--------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
  • Celina said:
    You're definitely not reading if you think if I have some desire for you to change or apologize for your opinion, or that I take issue with you explaining your perspective (I even find it interesting). I take issue with how you mischaracterize those that disagree with you as expecting the above. Those two paragraphs really had nothing to do with the quoted post.

Really though, can we get back to the drag queens. I'm not an expert in psychology, but I am an expert on shade and sass. You're like the Michelle Visage to my RuPaul.
    As... oppressing my opinion? Not something I said. As... not allowing their opinion? I told you I had no problem with your disagreement, and I do believe we have a very different way of viewing the world. As not wanting to argue about it? Well, apparently I do anyway, but I'm not seeing how that's a problem?

Yeah, I don't get it. Clearly we just don't understand each other.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Can we just have a Rupaul gif thread to replace Rants and call it a day?

• I didn't read all of this thread, but as one myself, I have to make one point - what if a potential newbie clicks around in the forums and finds this thread full of anger and hate?  Is that gonna help with newbie retention?

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    As a counterpoint: What if a newbie clicks around the forums and finds almost every thread full of anger, hate, or admins saying that they had to step in to clean it up?
  • You make a good point.  I suppose I just don't understand why people can't just gripe to their friends about so-and-so sucks and be content, instead of spreading vitrol all over a forum.

Because people will be people, and people like to gripe. See: Social networking.
  • You're probably right, and that disappoints me.

• Zeleni said:
    I didn't read all of this thread, but as one myself, I have to make one point - what if a potential newbie clicks around in the forums and finds this thread full of anger and hate?  Is that gonna help with newbie retention?
    It will make some people stay, just as it will make some people leave.

Like it or not, there is a group that likes the anger, hate and the drama. That there is bound to be people that play the game because these things exist.
  • Zeleni said:
    I didn't read all of this thread, but as one myself, I have to make one point - what if a potential newbie clicks around in the forums and finds this thread full of anger and hate?  Is that gonna help with newbie retention?
    Just a quick point to this - this isn't an actual Rants thread. It's a thread discussing the POSSIBILITY of having one. Sure, the last page or so has devolved a bit (guys, you should pull back on that a bit so this doesn't risk getting closed down as well), but people *are* capable of having actual discussions. It's not full of anger and hate. Maybe some annoyance and a lot of glitter (i.e. Drag Queen gifs), but hey, that's life.
    --------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
    Pretty sure that by "this thread" Zeleni is referring to the one that we are considering opening, not this exact thread we are talking in now.
  • Xenthos said:
    Pretty sure that by "this thread" Zeleni is referring to the one that we are considering opening, not this exact thread we are talking in now.
    If that's the case, then I would point out that the admin wouldn't allow that sort of thread - that's why they've shut down multiple others. They might be considering the possibility of a general grips/blow off steam at small things type thread, but hatred and rage would be shut down so fast your head would spin, as proven with several other threads lately. They just won't tolerate it anymore.
    --------
    --------
    edited August 2015
    I thought that was the entire point of this thread, and the reason for it to even exist...

We would not be here if they had not been shutting down a number of threads recently.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    That's why you gate off whatever thread is created.
  • Xenthos said:
    I thought that was the entire point of this thread, and the reason for it to even exist... We would not be here if they had not been shutting down a number of threads recently.
    I'm sorry, I think I'm being incredibly thick and I'm missing something here, or maybe you misunderstood something that I was saying.

My point is just that newbies can't stumble across a rants thread full of hatred, etc., because we don't currently have one. The admins won't allow one of that particular nature.  They shut it down.  My point was also that they are allowing us to discuss the possibility of such a thing here - and maybe might entertain the idea of letting us have a Dissatisfaction thread, Lusternian edition as long as it didn't get out of hand, (though they aren't promising or really saying anything about that now) - that's what I had understood the situation to be.

I agree that the entire point of this thread is this discussion, and that people are here because they want to participate in said conversation, about whether or not we should have such a thread.

That's what you're saying, right? Or something else?
    --------
    --------
  • Xenthos said:
    That's why you gate off whatever thread is created.
    Uh oh. Now I have visions of "You may pay 100cr to unlock Rant access for your character's forum account" running through my head. I wonder how many Shaddus would buy..
    You joke about this, but if that is what it came down too, you know most would probably pay it.
  • Nocht said:

Xenthos said:

As a counterpoint: What if a newbie clicks around the forums and finds almost every thread full of anger, hate, or admins saying that they had to step in to clean it up?

This shouldn't be a problem because we're at the stage were we'll just be banning those who can't control themselves for increasing periods of time.

Probably even worse than forums full of hate would be fairly inactive forums.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
    I was about to say...

I don't know what's worse: inactive forums with a few happy posts, or lively forums with a few unhappy posts.

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    So if we're banning the big offenders, why -can't- we have a thread dedicated to light ranting? If it's going to be moderated into the ground anyways, I don't see the harm in it whatsoever.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Celina said:

I was about to say...

I don't know what's worse: inactive forums with a few happy posts, or lively forums with a few unhappy posts.

This decision was made after numerous suggestions in this very thread that the Admin moderate and ban offenders rather than close posts.

Further decision to open a rant thread or even Tweets will have to come from up high, as the rant ban was from Estarra. Until then, if you have something you wish to discuss, make a thread for that -specific- topic. We will make an announcement if/when Tweets/Rants are allowed.
  • NochtNocht Glomdoring

Ciaran said:
    Xenthos said:

This shouldn't be a problem because we're at the stage were we'll just be banning those who can't control themselves for increasing periods of time.

Good thing we don't plan on banning everyone then!

Plenty of our players are able to discuss topics without going off the deep end. 
    Nocht said:

Ciaran said:
    Xenthos said:

Good thing we don't plan on banning everyone then!

Plenty of our players are able to discuss topics without going off the deep end. 
    /me quietly sneaks away from the high-dive board he just finished installing.