Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• Shedrin said:
    Me most of the time:

accurately describes my approach to assignments way back then.
  • Disappointed with the practice of censorship. Especially with the presence of lore that was implemented by admins and that depict similar actions or npcs that actually have those very specific tenets. It seems like a half-brained decision and just comes off as illogical when placed with the rest of the game.
    Lusternia is still in the dark ages and throws literary texts à la réserve!

Not trying to restart a debate but the topic was closed and I really wanted to place this somewhere. I really do hate censorship that much.
  • edited March 2017
    Oh and I'm still struggling with the broken affinity system. I don't even know why I returned from my hiatus.
    No matter what I do, because of affinity drain, the game sncks for me.

No I don't want to move to another org and no I would not follow any god that is currently aligned with Gaudiguch. I really got myself stuck because of how I want to play and it sncks.

I feel like there's a deep disrespect to my RL because hey! It's like you're trying to forcefully drag me back into the game to hunt and influence when maybe I don't want to be fncking playing right now because look! THE AFFINITY IS MASSIVELY DRAINING DAILY. IT AFFECTS SOMEONE ELSE AND IT'S YOUR FAULT. FNCK YOUR RL.
  • edited March 2017
    Is it draining more than it should be? If it is, you should bug it... If it's not, then it's not really 'broken' - You made the conscious decision to do something that would negatively affect your order, without being able to support it (via essence gaining)... That's not really the game's fault :/
    Email:        el.ni93@hotmail.com
    Discord:    Rey#1460
  • edited March 2017
    Not sure why I got flagged for asking a genuine question :confused:
    Steingrim said:
    It isn't unreasonable to call a system broken that carries a hefty penalty when the character isn't even logging in. Which unless I misunderstood her was along the issue she was raising.
    If they were unranked, and thus not logging in at all, I would be inclined to agree. If they're not unranked, then they're still counted as a ranking member of the order (same goes for guilds)... Unfair would be a more adequate term than 'broken' hence asking it exactly how I did: If it was draining too much. AKA, maybe it should get looked at.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    Still wish Estarra would give us an arti for order affinity. I would buy it... even if it were 1k credits. ._.
  • edited March 2017

*grumblegrumble*

• edited March 2017
    I bugged it. I was told that it works just as it was intended.

When I made the decision, I looked at the drain others around my Order rank who left were dealing with and I thought that maybe it would be possible. Turns out my characters drains 12 times more. I'd really like if something was done about it without removing my powers or stripping me of my rank. I started a thread about it, there were really good ideas in it but it seems like just because there are not many people in that position the issue is just being ignored. But for the few of us in it, it ruins the game.

It's very frustrating, I should be able to take a break without having to worry about a game that's supposed to be 'fun'. 
  • Well they are working on factions right now. So it's more likely their attention is elsewhere, not so much it's being ignored.  Are you the Order Lead? I guess it'd make sense if you are, with it being THAT much. Odd, if not, since you're not an Avatar either (aka no other real reason it should be that much).

Semi-unrelated: Does it drain every IG day? Or it is every RL day?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    It is every RL day, and the amount drained depends on how many order privs you have (so it can vary greatly from one person to another).  It also halves your offerings to your own God, but all your offerings to any other God are full strength.

While there is some merit to the concern that led to the creation of Affinity, the actual implementation is pretty terrible.  You are actually better off having someone else offer for you instead of doing your own offerings...
    Xenthos said:
    It is every RL day, and the amount drained depends on how many order privs you have (so it can vary greatly from one person to another).  It also halves your offerings to your own God, but all your offerings to any other God are full strength.

While there is some merit to the concern that led to the creation of Affinity, the actual implementation is pretty terrible.  You are actually better off having someone else offer for you instead of doing your own offerings...
    Which brings us back to the idea that perhaps there should be an Order Affinity artifact priced at 1k credits so us people willing to throw money at the game for a more enjoyable experience can. @Estarra, I did hear you during the Q&A session, but if it has the potential to make money and offers a function - and is therefore not a useless item - why not?
  • Selenity said:
    Which brings us back to the idea that perhaps there should be an Order Affinity artifact priced at 1k credits so us people willing to throw money at the game for a more enjoyable experience can. @Estarra, I did hear you during the Q&A session, but if it has the potential to make money and offers a function - and is therefore not a useless item - why not?
    I don't think such a steep price should be had for an item like that. If it was, at the very least make it a tiered item (Lv1: 25% less penalty, ~200 credits. Level2: 50% less, ~500credits. Lv3: 75% less, ~1000 credits--In line with most artifacts. So you still have affinity being a factor, just not nearly as big of a factor).

Alternative would just be not making the penalty so huge. Make it based on ranking in the order, not how many privileges they have... (with a further penalty if avatar/leader) - Make the penalty decrease based on when they last logged in.

edited March 2017
    Reylari said:
    Selenity said:
    I don't think such a steep price should be had for an item like that. If it was, at the very least make it a tiered item (Lv1: 25% less penalty, ~200 credits. Level2: 50% less, ~500credits. Lv3: 75% less, ~1000 credits--In line with most artifacts. So you still have affinity being a factor, just not nearly as big of a factor).

Alternative would just be not making the penalty so huge. Make it based on ranking in the order, not how many privileges they have... (with a further penalty if avatar/leader) - Make the penalty decrease based on when they last logged in.

I'd rather it 4 tiers than three.

1. 250cr - reduce by 25%
    2. 500cr - reduce by 50%
    3. 750cr - reduce by 75%
    4. 1000cr - reduce by 100%

I would still leap to buy the 1000cr one right away. I love me some Darvy, and I'm kind of scared to try Order progression because I don't want him to be uber-drained by my char. My char wouldn't want that either. :disappointed:

I do understand the events that made this whole system necessary in the first place, @Estarra explains it well (if a little vaguely) in the Live Q&A which was saved and viewable to all who choose to watch it. That being said, I would prefer if there was a way around it that made the whole thing less painful for those of us willing to dish out the cash for it. I don't think mechanically irrevocably punishing players who want to have their characters follow a separate divine and have an IG, RP reason for it is a good idea, especially when a player is willing to put real money into having that penalty negated.

Edit: TL;DR for marketing...

• edited March 2017
    Selenity said:
    I don't think mechanically irrevocably punishing players who want to have their characters follow a separate divine and have an IG, RP reason for it is a good idea, especially when a player is willing to put real money into having that penalty negated.
    Alignment of a city > alignment of the player's personal wishes, is what it comes down to really. I don't see them doing a 100% reduction in the affinity effects, regardless. Else you'd be able to pay to have zero consequences for an otherwise big action. Sort've similar to not being able to use power-related skills if you're not a member of the city that your class belongs to; if there was an artifact to circumvent that, you bet your ass people would buy it. There isn't because of that same reason.

eta: Also, the comment about real money is just... Why should that be a deciding factor. "I don't wanna play by your rules, take my paycheck so that I don't have to please," is basically what you're saying.
    Reylari said:
    eta: Also, the comment about real money is just... Why should that be a deciding factor. "I don't wanna play by your rules, take my paycheck so that I don't have to please," is basically what you're saying.
    Regardless of the technicality, a company is a company. If someone's willing to pay for something that doesn't break the game, why not?
  • I, too, would like to use non-Halli skills in Hallifax.
    Falaeron said:
    I, too, would like to use non-Halli skills in Hallifax.
    Ionno what you're talking about, I'm just talking about Order Affinity. That's it for me.
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    edited March 2017
    Selenity said:
    Falaeron said:
    Ionno what you're talking about, I'm just talking about Order Affinity. That's it for me.
    I am making a comparison between one mechanic, org-specific skills, and another mechanic, org-specific orders, and how we get complaints about one but the other is considered to be a perfectly natural part of the game.

Look, I know affinity sucks. Nobody is forcing you to stay/join the order of that god in the next city over. Nobody is forcing you to stay in the org you are currently in. You have options available to you, including just accepting the situation as-is and taking the hit to essence. Estarra could have made the executive decision and banned order membership from people outside the patron's organisation entirely. She still could do that and her position on orders and organisations is very clear. I think the more likely outcome if people keep complaining about it is that you just lose this option entirely.
  • Orders are a city faction. It's pretty much been said multiple times.
    If @Estarra says there will never be an artifact for it, ever, I will back off from my stance.

Until then, I'm firm.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Falaeron said:
    Selenity said:
    Falaeron said:
    I am making a comparison between one mechanic, org-specific skills, and another mechanic, org-specific orders, and how we get complaints about one but the other is considered to be a perfectly natural part of the game.

Look, I know affinity sucks. Nobody is forcing you to stay/join the order of that god in the next city over. Nobody is forcing you to stay in the org you are currently in. You have options available to you, including just accepting the situation as-is and taking the hit to essence. Estarra could have made the executive decision and banned order membership from people outside the patron's organisation entirely. She still could do that and her position on orders and organisations is very clear. I think the more likely outcome if people keep complaining about it is that you just lose this option entirely.
    I'm confused; can't you get classflex perms to a guild outside your city?  Can't you use all the org-specific skills that way, excepting the org-specific-power-cost ones?  I also don't think classflex costs the guild you're flexing to gold/credits (their resources) for every day that you are flexed to them, and all your efforts while classflexed are not reduced by half...

Basically, I don't see how these things compare at all.

You can make your assertion if you want (it is a valid counterargument), but I don't think the example you cite really works at all.  A closer example would be that you can't actually join a guild outside your organization (which classflex makes kind of unnecessary mechanically, but it could also be said that joining a specific order is unnecessary mechanically because you can get the same benefits from any Order, including your own org).

That said, the thing that bugs me the most about affinity isn't even the drain, it's the fact that it halves the essence of anything you offer to your God... so you have to work twice as hard to counter the in-built drain.  You're really better off killing things and just having someone else offer the essence for you so it has full value.  That's bizarre, to me.
  • Some skillsets are more or less completely locked out if you try to flex in from outside the organisations. For example, you are pretty much locked out of the entirety of chemwood specs if you don't have access to org-specific power. Others are a bit more lenient (monks), though the penalty still exists. Even among those that still "function" without org-specific power, most of the best skills are still unavailable.
  • edited March 2017
    @Falaeron It's not about any practical skills that we'd like to get! RP is involved.
  • edited March 2017
    @Falaeron It's not about any skills. It's about the RP!
    And the RP is, that you're penalised for not belonging to the particular faction that the org is tied to. I'm not seeing the problem.

Still not seeing why an artifact should circumvent said RP, either. Lessen the effect of the drain (or make your offerings not halved. I agree that this shouldn't even be a thing) - Don't make an artifact to counteract RP.
  • edited March 2017
    The problem is that this RP leaks into my RL by asking me to be online at least one hour per day to keep up with drains. During that one hour, I don't get to RP or even add anything pleasant or productive. Just replace the drain.

It's not fun. In a way, the admins feel like they are entitled to my free time and really, I just wish I could be able to enjoy this game again.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Shades of grey are best left to character RP, not mechanics. The power system, affinity, etc clearly point to this. The fact that it hasn't been deleted for literal years after every single rant about this should tell you something. Take the hint.

With that said, I think we should take it a step further and delete the enemy list. Base it off org membership (all not of your org = enemy) and call it good. This will further reinforce the idea of choosing a side, mechanically discourages alliances, and adds abother interesting dynamic to group combat.
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    edited March 2017
    You can RP being a devoted follower of a particular god without being in their order. You made the choice to make the RP "official" in game terms by taking part in the order system, including the disadvantages of it.
  • The problem is that this RP leaks into my RL by asking me to be online at least one hour per day to keep up with drains. During that one hour, I don't get to RP or even add anything pleasant or productive. Just replace the drain.

It's not fun. In a way, the admins feel like they are entitled to my free time and really, I just wish I could be able to enjoy this game again.
    If a game isn't fun, make the necessary changes and/or cut out the parts that are making it unfun for you. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
This discussion has been closed.