Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    It kinda sounds like they're trolling you then. All of my experiences in Serenwilde have led to me becoming a loner because nobody interacted with me, or offered to teach me (rp wise), or basically include me in anything. I usually just end up going hunting by myself and listening to Serenade chatter.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Maybe, uncomfortable talking more about the ic convos right now though. If they're not leaving for the reasons publicly stated then that part of the post is wrong *shrug*
  • There was one seren novice who went to mag very recently for the concept of seeking power rp wise. But in reality in an ooc level that was because Marcella basically spent ages talking with them and rping with them. 

So it may sound like one reason icly but is actually due to player interaction.
  • >---------------------------[ Changelog Entry #980 ]--------------------------<
       Entered by: Ianir the Anomaly                   Date: 2017-07-30 23:54:16

o Reverted an undocumented change from the other day that caused kata
       forms to be deleted when forgetting the skill (even temporarily).

You know no Kata forms.

T_T

The ONE day in almost two months I decide to classflex.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Saran said:
    Maybe, uncomfortable talking more about the ic convos right now though. If they're not leaving for the reasons publicly stated then that part of the post is wrong *shrug*
    We had another person who quit and came to Glom yesterday because of a lack of interactions.

It is something to be aware of with the Summer Slump hitting everyone so hard, we need to spend extra time trying to work with our newfolk.  This goes for all orgs.  Can't expect someone else will do it because there may not be someone else.
  • Xenthos said:
    Saran said:
    Maybe, uncomfortable talking more about the ic convos right now though. If they're not leaving for the reasons publicly stated then that part of the post is wrong *shrug*
    We had another person who quit and came to Glom yesterday because of a lack of interactions.

It is something to be aware of with the Summer Slump hitting everyone so hard, we need to spend extra time trying to work with our newfolk.  This goes for all orgs.  Can't expect someone else will do it because there may not be someone else.
    To be fair, that person also gave it less than 48 hours, and in that time did have interaction, even got free stuff, but spent most of that time whining about the collegium tasks ("I don't want to listen to Miakoda tell a stupid story" etc), getting excited to "play" PVP, and asking on CT why they couldn't go to Mag or Glom which seemed so much cooler. So either they were a troll or just a special case. But we've also had a dozen other newbies in the last three days who have not done that, and I personally have spent a lot of time one-on-one teaching them geography and history and how to use shops... We ask how they're doing constantly, and usually about one out of five will actually answer. That said, it does seem to be the same three people reaching out, and I'd love to see more people care enough to pitch in.
  • FalaeronFalaeron Jolteon
    edited August 2017
    Also, the descriptions of the orgs in the character creation screen tend to be very narrow and can be a bit misleading to new players.
  • Kerith said:
    Xenthos said:
    Saran said:

To be fair, that person also gave it less than 48 hours, and in that time did have interaction, even got free stuff, but spent most of that time whining about the collegium tasks ("I don't want to listen to Miakoda tell a stupid story" etc), getting excited to "play" PVP, and asking on CT why they couldn't go to Mag or Glom which seemed so much cooler. So either they were a troll or just a special case. But we've also had a dozen other newbies in the last three days who have not done that, and I personally have spent a lot of time one-on-one teaching them geography and history and how to use shops... We ask how they're doing constantly, and usually about one out of five will actually answer. That said, it does seem to be the same three people reaching out, and I'd love to see more people care enough to pitch in.
    Well that's certainly familiar

Veyils said:
    There was one seren novice who went to mag very recently for the concept of seeking power rp wise. But in reality in an ooc level that was because Marcella basically spent ages talking with them and rping with them. 

Yeah there were a bunch of Serens standing with them also trying to rp with them for pretty much the entire time afaik.

The reason it was relevant to the discussion about events was that, with that as an example, there was apparently a bunch of cool historic stuff that we just couldn't match.
  • Saran said:

Veyils said:
    There was one seren novice who went to mag very recently for the concept of seeking power rp wise. But in reality in an ooc level that was because Marcella basically spent ages talking with them and rping with them. 

Yeah there were a bunch of Serens standing with them also trying to rp with them for pretty much the entire time afaik.

The reason it was relevant to the discussion about events was that, with that as an example, there was apparently a bunch of cool historic stuff that we just couldn't match.

Marcella is pretty good with the historic stuff you'll need to do a lot of homework to bring out the speecheslike her.

• edited August 2017
    Veyils said:
    Saran said:

Veyils said:

Marcella is pretty good with the historic stuff you'll need to do a lot of homework to bring out the speecheslike her.

As mentioned earlier the issue is that people have done their homework and Serenwilde's history comes to being about an isolated forest that has been fighting a losing war since old Celest was first founded, which isn't particularly inspiring.

Our tropes have been focused on survival at most costs, being the first, outlasting, protecting the forest, etc. Which naturally leads to events which are "maintain or lose", threats from the outside.
    I mean, try imagining the Hunger Games if best case scenario Snow won in every book?

Also, the more discussion happens, the more it makes it seem apparent that the particular individuals being referenced are trolling.

EDIT: Which would mean it doesn't matter how much we tried, it doesn't matter what we or Marcella said. They were always going to go to leave.
  • edited August 2017
    Not sure who which novice your talking about. There was one novice who went to mag about three weeks ago and one who went like this week sometime for roughly the same reasons.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited August 2017
    Saran said:
    Cyndarin said:
    Falaeron said:
    Again, those are all examples of some random, other party causing all of the trouble.

THEN there's the infamous tainting of the Maeve. The event that defined being "backed into corners." 

The Tainting of the Maeve was specifically Magnagora enslaving Maeve.

You can account for optics, but you can't account for perception.

(Really I find drawing lines between admin allowing orgs to kick your ass and admin allowing random mobs/gods/whatever to kick your ass to be splitting hairs to the finest possible degree.)

Serenwilde has seen events where we had to beg Glomdoring to save us, even had repercussions when we went against the agreement we were forced into.
    We've also had events where we've deceived by Glomdoring, multiple times from memory. Including the one where Hoaracle lost his hand.

We also get the Maeve stuff and wasn't the event you mentioned earlier the result of Xynthin being tricky and ushering in an age of Wyrden supremacy that unfortunately broke time?

As you also mentioned, events don't happen that often so yeah if your org is consistently portrayed in a certain way it's going to shape perceptions. May or may not be related but I've had newbies wanting to go to mag because of it's perception of power.

And yeah, you don't have to participate in events, but regardless the event happened, the continued the story of your organisation/guild/family/order/whatever.

Like, oh man, if Serenwilde could have collectively just not logged when we started seeing people hung by their entrails to avoid having to make that deal with Glomdoring, that'd be great.
    Right, and Crow has been impaled by Stag more times than Xenthos has been pedantic (he's probably going to argue that's technically not true because he's...well...pedantic). It's a running joke on the OOC clans any time an event happens Crow is going to get his ass kicked. 

Every org has events that does not shine the best light on the org. Everyone. Why do you think Glomdoring has False Memory in the first place? So that when a cray cray god comes along and declares supremacy over the Wyrd and murders us all and bitchslaps Viravain, we don't all fall to pieces over Glom's identity being upended. 

It's true that being "neutral" in a game of extremes can water down an org's identity. There may be issues with Serenwilde's identity, or breaking away from generic forest people, but I think the idea that Serenwilde or any org has is specifically being victimized by the admin/events to be a pretty bad case of not having enough perspective. 

edit: For the record, the culmination of the Xynthin event was that Xynthin was power hungry and batshit crazy.
  • Cyndarin said:
    Saran said:
    Cyndarin said:
    Falaeron said:
    Again, those are all examples of some random, other party causing all of the trouble.

THEN there's the infamous tainting of the Maeve. The event that defined being "backed into corners." 

The Tainting of the Maeve was specifically Magnagora enslaving Maeve.

You can account for optics, but you can't account for perception.

(Really I find drawing lines between admin allowing orgs to kick your ass and admin allowing random mobs/gods/whatever to kick your ass to be splitting hairs to the finest possible degree.)

Serenwilde has seen events where we had to beg Glomdoring to save us, even had repercussions when we went against the agreement we were forced into.
    We've also had events where we've deceived by Glomdoring, multiple times from memory. Including the one where Hoaracle lost his hand.

We also get the Maeve stuff and wasn't the event you mentioned earlier the result of Xynthin being tricky and ushering in an age of Wyrden supremacy that unfortunately broke time?

As you also mentioned, events don't happen that often so yeah if your org is consistently portrayed in a certain way it's going to shape perceptions. May or may not be related but I've had newbies wanting to go to mag because of it's perception of power.

And yeah, you don't have to participate in events, but regardless the event happened, the continued the story of your organisation/guild/family/order/whatever.

Like, oh man, if Serenwilde could have collectively just not logged when we started seeing people hung by their entrails to avoid having to make that deal with Glomdoring, that'd be great.
    Right, and Crow has been impaled by Stag more times than Xenthos has been pedantic (he's probably going to argue that's technically not true because he's...well...pedantic). It's a running joke on the OOC clans any time an event happens Crow is going to get his ass kicked. 

Every org has events that does not shine the best light on the org. Everyone. Why do you think Glomdoring has False Memory in the first place? So that when a cray cray god comes along and declares supremacy over the Wyrd and murders us all and bitchslaps Viravain, we don't all fall to pieces over Glom's identity being upended. 

It's true that being "neutral" in a game of extremes can water down an org's identity. There may be issues with Serenwilde's identity, or breaking away from generic forest people, but I think the idea that Serenwilde or any org has is specifically being victimized by the admin/events to be a pretty bad case of not having enough perspective. 

edit: For the record, the culmination of the Xynthin event was that Xynthin was power hungry and batshit crazy.

I'm happy you didn't fall apart over the one event that you're repeating as equivalent to the group of events Serenwilde has had? The complaint isn't about one event, it's about a consistent negative theme in Serenwilde events. 

And yeah, the Collective Spirits are generally there to die, it happens to Stag except sometimes we have to be happy about it because it was a "noble sacrifice"

At its core, this whole thing is about dissatisfaction with the portrayal of an org.
    What is the issue with wanting to have some points where an org is shown to be winning/strong/growing as opposed to holding their ground?

I've yet to see someone actually point to a significant event where such happens, which seems like the simpler way of ending these conversations. Otherwise, statements that they happen fall to hitchen's razor.

It's also kinda irrelevant, as has been mentioned the resolution to this has been baked into the new guilds along with a strong collection of positive and negative plot hooks to ensure they have great stories.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    It's not much of a noble sacrifice if he respawns in three days/handful of essence.

#antitheist

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    It's not much of a noble sacrifice if he respawns in three days/handful of essence.

#antitheist

The big one was the Dark Druids event where he sacrificed himself "permanently" cause his rebirth/resurrection would release them. Can't remember if stag got turned off for that too.
    Saran said:
    Cyndarin said:
    Saran said:
    Cyndarin said:
    stuff
     my stuff

your stuff
    That's now how burden of proof works. You're conveniently dismissing any evidence that runs contrary to your narrative. Call me crazy, but I don't think you're really interested in perspective here. Your prerogative.

Frankly, I don't know of any org that has had an event where they win lusternia and grow, rather than held its ground. Glomdoring bought an island with credits and their Xenthos Mastercard as part of an auction, I guess. 
  • Anyone else feel like the Final State of Lusternia is where @Cyndarin declares her unreserved love for @Xenthos, and Xenthos just accepts it?
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    Wasn't Celina married to one of the Xynthins though?

• Ooooh. Dat mudsex tho.
    edited August 2017
    Maligorn said:
    Wasn't Celina married to one of the Xynthins though?
    Seren Celina was married to Seren Xenthos, BUT WE DON'T TALK ABOUT IT.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    shaaaare
  • edited August 2017
    Cyndarin said:
    Saran said:
    Cyndarin said:
    Saran said:
    Cyndarin said:
    stuff
     my stuff

your stuff
    That's now how burden of proof works. You're conveniently dismissing any evidence that runs contrary to your narrative. Call me crazy, but I don't think you're really interested in perspective here. Your prerogative.

Frankly, I don't know of any org that has had an event where they win lusternia and grow, rather than held its ground. Glomdoring bought an island with credits and their Xenthos Mastercard as part of an auction, I guess. 

The burden of proof actually rests with you at the moment.
    As noted, this is something that is being worked on and you are, in effect, arguing that the "facelift" brought in more fully with the new guilds isn't necessary. 

Of course, unless you're playing a Seren, I'm not even really sure why you care so much? It only really affects Serenwilde, unless this is sparked by fear that the tables will be turned.

As for events where an org "won".

Glomdoring has been involved in events where they held power over their mortal enemy and exercised it, on top of benefiting from it (Dark Druids).

Nocht has extorted the Eye of Dynara from Serenwilde and Manteekan still has Hoaracle's hand as far as I'm aware.

I believe there's also one which gave them the ability to Wyrd the river that wasn't wyrden in the forest, from memory there's a counter or a time out.

The Sowers guild hall from memory is on reclaimed land, which is in line with the facelift and showing that Serenwilde can grow.
  • Getting your ass kicked and then building back up seems to be 99% of the events for every org that I've seen.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    The river in Glomdoring is Wyrden by default.

The river outside is what the quest is for, and that quest is so bad that none of us who know about it are willing to ever bring it up in-game because it makes absolutely zero sense, Glomdoring-lore-wise.  It's like taking a hammer to our roleplay-- "Hey, you can grow the Glomdoring!  But you have to, you know, throw away all your lore and understanding of what you are and embrace the Taintytaint.  Yay Taint!"

I've been thinking about putting together a Commune Request for Veyils to submit in regards to that one but I've not really had a great idea for an overhaul, unfortunately.

In its current state, the quest would be better far better off just being deleted.

PS: I seem to remember events where Glomdoring has lost, too, such as with Isune.
This discussion has been closed.