Lack of explorer compatibility

edited October 2012 in Common Grounds
These forums are somewhat incompatible with Internet Explorer. Though the layout seems ok for Firefox, in IE, the forums are very difficult to navigate. The blueish gray of the background is the only colour that can be seen, rather than the tan "boxes" that surround them. There are two borders, bottom and left, but no other clues to this tan. There seems to be also a width problem with boxes, as sometimes the text of parts of the forums gets squished together unnaturally. Example, just now I checked the front page, and there was a whole lot of text pushed in underneath the links to the "Real Life" section of the forums. As well, the mugshots of various players appear hovering oddly on the left hand side of the screen. Only ever one at a time.
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Comments

• Which version of Explorer are you using?

Sadly, in the new mobile first, cutting edge CSS design, IE is getting left out.  I think a lot of developers resented the IE6 days where IE was less cutting edge but still had market share, so that's why some developers are now actually leaving IE behind.

[BANNERCODE]
  • People actually use IE for anything more than debugging their browser's settings?
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Some people don't have a choice, sadly *cough*netcafes*cough*
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • My current IE is 9. It should be compatibile with most CSS3 code. That some developers "leave IE behind" is honestly no excuse though. It is still a highly common web browser, often used  those who don't much care what a browser does for them, as long as it lets them browse internet.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • edited February 2014

• Internet Explorer was only used by 16.4% of people who accessed the internet last month, actually. Firefox and Chrome are more than twice that.

While hopefully the discrepancy will be fixed, you'd probably appreciate switching to something like Chrome. It's just cleaner and more compatible.
  • You mean switching to the "save all your personal details, search history and all that other jazz without acquiring proper consent all the while forcing a ton of unneccessary addons down your throat" browser?

People have plenty of reasons for picking whatever browser they want to pick. I neither like the aesthetics of Chrome, nor trust its publishers, so I only make use of it for certain situations. Not that it is relevant. As a company, you want to be accessible. Accessibility is about making things useable for the customer, regardless of what browser she wants to use. I could certainly change to Firefox (and indeed, it's what I'm using currently), but I shouldn't have to change. As it is, the IE format is simply bad, and should be changed.
  • Eventru said:

People actually use IE for anything more than debugging their browser's settings?

I use IE6 at work.

It's great.

I'd kill for IE9.
  • The forums display properly in IE for me. I usually use chrome, but I browsed through several pages in IE 9 to try to see what might be causing difficulties. Do any other IE users have problems?
  • While it would be nice not to have to change and have universal compatibility [ignoring for a moment the insane logistic impossibility of that even without what I'm about to say] as technology moves forward and alternatives are basically a click away, software like IE are going to get left behind if they're not the ones supporting the CSS/HTML in common use and being accessible.

And I know the woes of backwards incompatibility, considering I'm finding myself getting fewer and fewer updates for software on my 'outdated' XP install [And let's just not talk about the OSX install...]

And as an aside, if you're really worried about the 'paper trail' you're leaving on the Internet getting disseminated by Google and every other random tiny tracker it's a little late. The only way to avoid it is not go on the internet or even use a computer, total information awareness is the present. If you don't want someone to know about something only way is to not do it ~shrug~

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• Except that IE should be able to handle CSS3 in an appropriate manner. As the list here suggests, the differences between IE 9, FF, Opera, Chrome and Safari is minimal. Of course, IE does have a responsibility to ensure that their browser functions with the latest iteration of HTML and CSS, but so too should you be careful not to force away late adopters. 

Secondly, it is not the "paper trail" I worry so much about, as the technicalities behind it. When I downloaded Chrome to give it a go, I was surprised to find it trying to auto-install itself before giving me the opportunity to read the ToS, as well as installing things I specifically did not want to have installed on my computer. Then I read a ToS that gave google a frightening liberty to use the information they gathered up from my use of the browser. That's why I do not trust Chrome.

And frankly, this discussion is irrelevant. I'm going to check the computers at my school, and see if IE has any problems on them. If Razeon doesn't have trouble, it might be my PC, though I have no issues on Firefox. I'll also mention that the more weird problems I noticed to begin with seems to have gone away for now. It's not perfect. The tan box that goes between the background and saves me from squinting black text on blue still isn't there, as an example, but it certainly feels better, even in IE.

• IE9 and Firefox render the same website for me.