Alliances

Comments

• The conflict systems in Achaea are different, though. Ours basically encourage alliances. Take, for example, domoths. Your org cannot participate in opposing domoths, like if Akyaevin holds Death, no one in Magnagora can join anything for the Life Domoth. Whoever holds Life, though, can absolve Akyaevin, so he and Magnagora would want to make sure Life is held by an ally. That means that he'd want to make sure that, say, Shuyin of Gaudiguch holds Life. By that point, however, Shuyin and Gaudiguch would potentially be facing the combined strength of Serenwilde, Glomdoring, Hallifax, and Celest, so Gaudiguch and Magnagora both would want to get one of those orgs into their own alliance.

It gets iffy, though, if those alliances remain just with domoths. It's just easier to make the domoth-born alliances remain in effect for villages, flares, etc., so...

• There is also the problem that others have mentioned before, that Lusternia has a smaller population requiring the need for alliances.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • You can't merge guilds or cities / communes until after Ackleberry is released.
  • edited November 2015
    We don't even have monk and bard guilds in Gaudiguch and Hallifax. I think it's safe to assume that the release of Ackleberry is a very, very unlikely possibility.

EDIT:

And yes, population issues. See Achaea: the largest IRE by population, only has 6 cities and at most 25 Houses (guilds) (I think it was 25 at most, at least?). They underwent a Renaissance which further cut down those Houses, and now each city gets only 2-3. Here in Lusternia, with its far smaller population, we have an equal amount of major player organizations, and 3-5 guilds in each. We have far too many.

• Ackleberry is needed to prevent the 3/3 alliance :P
    Then once the 4/3 alliance is made in stone, the orgs can merge into singularities.

• Eodh said:
    We don't even have monk and bard guilds in Gaudiguch and Hallifax. I think it's safe to assume that the release of Ackleberry is a very, very unlikely possibility.
    ***************************[ THE SYMPHONIUM GUILD ]****************************
    Guildmember      Rank                  Position                 GT   GNT   CGT
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shonjir             4                  Undersecretary           On    On    On

But but... are you saying I've been living a lie? :|

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Everyone in Hallifax is living a lie

/forumrp

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Eodh said:

EDIT:

And yes, population issues. See Achaea: the largest IRE by population, only has 6 cities and at most 25 Houses (guilds) (I think it was 25 at most, at least?). They underwent a Renaissance which further cut down those Houses, and now each city gets only 2-3. Here in Lusternia, with its far smaller population, we have an equal amount of major player organizations, and 3-5 guilds in each. We have far too many.

In truth, if cities just became RP hubs, then I could see Ackleberry added in. Admittedly, the game may become a bit too quiet without the political debacles.

A reason Achaea has such a devoted and large population, is because they have kept to their main focus: Combat. I always use Achaea as an example of a very balanced and fair system. Naturally, it has its flaws, such as a dependence on artifacts, but we are no better. However, even in Achaea, it feels like they can only enhance certain aspects, to ignore others. RP is almost non-functional there, and events were pretty lackluster for some time, it isnt until recently actually that they put some extreme focus into city cultures and identity and began to focus upon the ideals of the self. Even then, their lore and RP cant compare to Lusternia's, much like how Lusternia's system cant compare to theirs.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited November 2015
    For the record, Lusternia is not artifact dependent. It seems that way sometimes due to the volume of new sparkly wonder/curio/whatevers that are pumped out but no one can win on artifacts here (aside from warriors, but eh). Achaea is absolutely driven by artifacts. You either have them or you are at a severe, and depending on class composition, impossible disadvantage. One of the reasons Achaea has a bigger population is because they attract the fotm WoW crowd that can power level then swipe their mastercard and suddenly start murdering swathes of people. You can't do that here (in most cases).

I've also observed that Achaea is really slow on the reaction time to severely broken mechanics. Like web/axk monks, those one shotted people for RL years.  
  • Shonjir said:
    ***************************[ THE SYMPHONIUM GUILD ]****************************
    Guildmember      Rank                  Position                 GT   GNT   CGT
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shonjir             4                  Undersecretary           On    On    On

But but... are you saying I've been living a lie? :|
    Oh, oops. My brain was following a thought, "missing two guilds" meaning monk guilds for Hallifax and Gaudiguch, but somewhere in the middle of writing that post the part about "monk" disappeared and my subconscious made the connection two guilds = bard and monk, and subtracted both from Gaudiguch and Hallifax. I need sleep, or Level 80 IRL.

And yes, Achaea is really driven by artifacts. Of particular note are the stat boost artifacts, and the +bal and +eq ones. Those bump up a class from being good to being wtf really fast.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I'm waiting for the +bal/eq ones here, tbh.
  • All of your artefacts give you the ability to have 13683 credits in escrow.

That's my escrow in my achaean character. I still need about 8000 more in artifacts to hit the top tier of damage.

The benefit of it being so artifact driven though is it's much better balanced. Lusternia has a distinct throw balance to the wind and make cool stuff, but in achaea if you've bought your way to the top and you're still dying to something, it's likely going to be changed pretty soon. Also, combat largely revolves around damage instead of wombo combos so you don't have as many classes that you have to have, or entire roles missing from organizations.
    Congratulations! By order of Newt Blasterson, you've been named a Master of the Aetherways!
    2015/12/09 23:54:29 - Pejat drained 2000000 power to raise Davos as a Vernal Ascendant.
    You use 80,000,000 of your divine essence. You gain BeauteousThought as a supernumerary power.
  • Not going to lie, I skipped a lot of the middle of this thread. If anything I say has been said before, please excuse me. So I'd like to just ask people: when did you feel like the game was the most fun? For me, right before Glom came out was the most fun I've had in the game. I want to say things were a little more chaotic then, but also there weren't as many conflict mechanics so the conflicts you did have seemed to matter more. 
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Tarkenton said:
    God, I hope not.
  • The hai'Gloh Zemordia / Xion Initiative was my favorite period. In hindsight, everyone basically won something. The forests got to beat on the cities, Celest got to unbind Raziela, Magnagora got a boatload of power. Also Glomdoring became strong enough to hold out against all three for a couple of months.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Rivius said:

Tarkenton said:

God, I hope not.

Oh, I agree. But I figure it looks like money left on the table to the powers that be.
  • Achaea is the most popular IRE game because that's the game the corporate advertising and resources are concentrated on. Not because it is somehow more balanced on the combat scene.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    In fact, I find that combat in Achaea (and other IREs) is less balanced and generally more fun for it. Every class feels a lot more powerful, so there is more solo combat and good feelings. 
  • I wasn't suggesting it was more popular because it's more balanced. It's just more balanced because every org has almost the exact same class pool and that when you have a fully artifacted monk, vs a fully artifacted magi, it's pretty even. Compared to lusternia where you have classes that are just far and away better than other classes. Uniqueness is the enemy of balance, which is why you have institute which can pretty much beat every class 1v1, but Hallifax which has no beckon.

In achaea, you don't need alliances because your org has pretty much all it needs. In Lusternia you do, because Halli/Gaudi have no monks, Halli has no beckon. I don't know enough about every other org but without other cities supplementing our skills, combat becomes extremely one-dimensional.
    Congratulations! By order of Newt Blasterson, you've been named a Master of the Aetherways!
    2015/12/09 23:54:29 - Pejat drained 2000000 power to raise Davos as a Vernal Ascendant.
    You use 80,000,000 of your divine essence. You gain BeauteousThought as a supernumerary power.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    If you're allying because you need beckon, you're doing it wrong

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Man Serenwilde... like, seriously, thanks for providing me reasons why I want the leadership mechanics to change.
  • edited November 2015
    Lerad said:
    Achaea is the most popular IRE game because that's the game the corporate advertising and resources are concentrated on. Not because it is somehow more balanced on the combat scene.

What advertising?? Im pretty sure IRE advertising is near non-existent. I will admit though, that Achaea being the 'legacy' game does give it a higher standing.

Edit: Heck, I personally feel Aetolia should have at the least tried to take advantage of the Vampire craze era and thrown some hooks out, but nope.
  • I learned about IRE from nuklearpower.com way back before there was the concept of "customer service" in IRE games. Let's just say topmudsites is not the only avenue of advertising for IRE muds, and I'm not going to go listing things for you which you can find out yourself.

• Bandeon said:
    Not going to lie, I skipped a lot of the middle of this thread. If anything I say has been said before, please excuse me. So I'd like to just ask people: when did you feel like the game was the most fun? For me, right before Glom came out was the most fun I've had in the game. I want to say things were a little more chaotic then, but also there weren't as many conflict mechanics so the conflicts you did have seemed to matter more. 
    When I had time to play 12 hours a day :)

I found previous comments about Achaea and its focus on combat quite amusing.  My has it changed in the past 15 years.... 
  • Frankly at this point in time, I personally cannot stand most of the other orgs. With discussions of "Seren or Glom", I'd prefer neither. Mag has actually been doing pretty well on its own, with the help from Malarious from Gaudi from time to time, and I wouldnt mind seeing it stay that way. Arc would simply say screw the rest, let them fight over politics and alliances while we just best them all. It's far less of a headache anyway.
  • edited November 2015
    Synkarin said:
    The funny thing is most of the other Orgs probably think something along the lines of 'Man, I personally can't stand Arcanis, lets not ally with Mag so we don't have to deal with him'

Again, if any org is actually thinking "Man, I dont wanna ally with Mag cause they have X", then I frankly feel sorry for them, and for their Org to have such child-minded leaders. But it's no skin off my nose, Mag is doing quite fine, but cant say the same for those other orgs drowning out there.

Edit: And I have to point out the hilarity in the select individuals that agreed with your comment, whom fit the situation I just described so infamously well, not to mention are the ones making their orgs suffer the most from it, lol.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Wow, it's like all the leaders of every other org are just babies, and only glorious @Arcanis sees clearly. How can we resist worshipping at his almighty feet?
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited November 2015
    Reality check: Mag (and Gaudi for that matter) is doing "fine" because the other side hasn't consolidated their resources and are still trying to make heads or tails of their relationships. Once Glom/Seren/Halli/Celest update their status from "it's complicated" to "in a relationship," Mag is going to be on the back foot. 

The ironic thing is that several orgs like Glom are actively trying to figure out "what sucks less than working with Arcanis and company," which is causing all of the uncertainty. It's not some magical political/PK prowess Mag is demonstrating. It's literally everyone not wanting to work with Arcanis and friends (not all of Mag, I have been enjoying my time around Ixion, Thalkros, etc. All very enjoyable people) and now coming to terms with what that means regarding their other relationship. It's funny because it's literally the god honest truth.

I'd chill with the rhetoric, Arcy-poo. Your messiah complex is going to take a beating when they actively start coordinating against Mag and you realize what we all already know: you can't put your money where your mouth is.

edit: Gaudigora had a tough time against Celiffax during the last revolt when I was holding the meld, largely because Hallifax aeon spam has been the big winner of the overhaul and that's when they were not coordinated. Throw in a dedicated alliance with Seren or Glom and some practice and it's going to get messy.
  • The truth is that orgs should consider everything when talking about an alliance. One toxic person at the right time can cause things to fall apart. You can't control it, but you can see hey, Mag has a few people that might just spit in their leaders faces and do whatever the heck they want. I think Thalkros seems to have pretty good control over the city, but that changes since those same people are likely to be set off by a single thing and it's impossible to predict what it is.

Lusternia is a game of people and to not consider the people of an org when considering an alliance would be silly.