Explorer Rankings or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Big Chunk of Ranks I'm Missing

2»

Comments

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Kiradawea said:
    This is weird. I lost rankings to people who aren't even active these days. And I myself can't even think of any area in the game that I haven't yet explored.
    I think it's kind of hilarious my Glom is still up there. Don't think she's been to any new areas in the last few years.
  • edited December 2015
    Great change on removing 100% sealed areas so it can be fair.

To echo this request, can we get a list of areas that were removed from explorers? Did this include the Iceburn Plains fortress, Iklara, Tree of Trees upper areas, Eventru realm.. and probably something else I am forgetting?

Edit: this still doesn't explain the major explorers bug in 2013 that caused the huge 2 rank+ downward shift :(
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    So I got punted from 7 to 13, are we done playing musical ranks yet?
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • Yeah, I really don't understand what's happening, but it would be nice to know what changes were made/are being made.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • The Upper Tree of Trees area has never counted. I just flagged Iklara as closed so it should stop counting for the time being. Those are the only ones I'm sure of.

• edited December 2015
    Probably a redundant question, but was Eventru's godrealm ever flagged so it no longer counted?  That was a MASSIVE chunk of rooms that are no longer accessible.

EDIT: Ignore, just saw Ayisdra's comment.
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • It's been brought to my attention that the flag used to mark an area as closed is used to toggle access to some areas on a regular/quest-related basis, of which I was unaware (I thought it was something just in place for restricting fully off-limit areas), which is probably what's causing the weird rankings jumbling. Not sure how to address it yet but I'll think of something and update when it's fixed.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Does that mean we'll see a huge shift in explorer rankings once this gets addressed? :) Between @Ssaliss and myself, I'm not sure which areas we haven't explored yet(us being close in the ranks plus we mostly keep the other updated which ares we've recently explored) so this change would help us know!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• So everytime someone does a quest that opens (or closes) access to certain areas, people like Sidd's and Kiradawea's explorer rank jiggles a bit?

• Lerad said:
    So everytime someone does a quest that opens (or closes) access to certain areas, people like Sidd's and Kiradawea's explorer rank jiggles a bit?
    Probably, but I'm not certain; just noticed this mentioned in some Havens chat earlier, and it's the only plausible reason I have at the moment. However, it's late night right now so I haven't done any testing yet to determine definitively if that's actually the case.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.

• Siam said:
    Does that mean we'll see a huge shift in explorer rankings once this gets addressed? :) Between @Ssaliss and myself, I'm not sure which areas we haven't explored yet(us being close in the ranks plus we mostly keep the other updated which ares we've recently explored) so this change would help us know!
    I know I've got ~900 rooms that I could explore, but can't because Politics. That excludes guildhalls and temples.
    Ssaliss said:

Siam said:
    I know I've got ~900 rooms that I could explore, but can't because Politics. That excludes guildhalls and temples.
    Which makes me wonder the same thing! I definitely know the areas I haven't explored yet which confuses me a bit given the difference in our ranks! :)
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Ssaliss said:

Siam said:
    What rooms would that be? Asking for a friend. :>
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

• Kiradawea said:
    Ssaliss said:

Siam said:
    What rooms would that be? Asking for a friend. :>
    Pretty much everything Seren-related. The biggest chunk left after that (excluding guilds and temples) would be the Waste Storage Facility at 57 rooms.
  • Oh. I'm pretty sure I've explored all the cities and forests to the fullest, excluding guild halls. Those are tough to get into. Same with temples, though I think I've got several of those as well. It's getting to the point that I've no idea where else I can explore. Sure, there's guild halls, but guild halls alone doesn't seem enough. Especially since I've got eight of them down already.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I had major issues with remembering what I'd explored until I wrote my script that took care of all that remembering for me. Now, I've got a file that contains all the vnums of all the rooms I've entered, and it's made my explorer rank skyrocket. I think I was in the 300's before adding it, and basically overnight I shot up to 100'ish.

Also, a real PITA is when cities add rooms. It makes it really easy to miss exploring places.
  • Also, another big PITA is massive temples that can't be explored "legally". I'm looking at you, @Mysrai, with 102 rooms in the XML file :(
  • Yeah. For the longest time I had no idea that Celest had added a new gigantic library. But I've got that one now.
  • Kiradawea said:
    Yeah. For the longest time I had no idea that Celest had added a new gigantic library. But I've got that one now.
    Celest added a new gigantic library? -skedaddle-
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    For a nominal fee, there's a few rooms in Fain's temple that only 3-4 mortals have been in. /twiddle
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    LET ME IN.

#bringShikariback