Daraius Cake Pics!

DaraiusDaraius ShevatThe juror's taco spot
edited August 2013 in The Real World
During my periodic disappearances from Lusternia, this is what I've been up to.

My favorite exterior piping technique ever. 

Peacocktopus wedding cake.

Teal damask.

Unfortunately lumpy sides and crooked text, but the ballerina's nice.

My default style when the customer doesn't specify what they want.

How to Train Your Dragon

One of the classiest things I've ever made, if I do say so myself.

First foray into fondant painting.

First foray into 3D fondant sculpting.

I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Sorry, this was meant for the Real World forum. Could someone move it please?  :-L
    I used to make cakes.

• Wow. Those are amazing!
  • These are really great, Daraius. I'm infinitely jealous of people who can make art with food. You're very talented! :)
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    I'm suddenly hungry. These are really great!
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Yay, Daraius cakes! I love the Brown Bear one best, but they're all so cool. And at least I can take comfort in knowing you're still being awesome even when you're not being our resident loboshigaru gentleman.
  • He should be commissioned for some Lusternia themed cakes. Which admittedly only people in his vague general area could physically enjoy, but still... CAKES.

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• The true test of his skill! A cake made in the shape of Hallifax...that actually floats.

And occasionally gets into scuffles with the other Lusternia cakes, then wobbles around the room.
  • The true test of his skill! A cake made in the shape of Hallifax...that actually floats.

And occasionally gets into scuffles with the other Lusternia cakes, then wobbles around the room.
    And occasionally plays off-brand soundbite references to Portal. And contains a laser pointer baked in somewhere.

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• These are epic! ^:)^
  • The detail is quite stunning. I like the attention to each character especially. :)
    edited October 2012
    Estarra said:
    Where is your cake shop? I'd love to order one of your cakes one day!
    We're in Central Virginia and we don't ship, so it might be tricky. Maybe someday we'll get that nailed down.

Maellio said:
    He should be commissioned for some Lusternia themed cakes. Which admittedly only people in his vague general area could physically enjoy, but still... CAKES.
    Is cake an acceptable medium for artisanal entries?  :>

P.S. Thanks everyone!
    I used to make cakes.

• Daraius said:
    Estarra said:
    Where is your cake shop? I'd love to order one of your cakes one day!
    We're in Central Virginia and we don't ship, so it might be tricky. Maybe someday we'll get that nailed down.
    >_>
    How close are you guys to 64? Cause I might have to order a Lusternia cake and pick it up one of these days I take leave home. 
    How the heck do you do that? :o I would probably lose my mind trying to make a French horn like that...
    Fondant. Good for covering cakes, not so good for sculpting things. It dries out quickly, so it cracks and wrinkles as you shape it, and yet it takes hours to harden completely, so forms tend to settle, squash, sag, or droop before it's fully set. Hence the intestine-esque lumpiness of the horn. 
    I used to make cakes.

Birthday girl's interests: Club Penguin, Angry Birds, tie-dye.

I can work with that. 

(messy surroundings censored)

Also, tiny Daleks.
    I used to make cakes.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    DALEKS!  So much win. These are awesome.

Daraius said:
    Really happy with how this turned out.

As you should be! 

P.S., I showed that to my (pink-and-zebra-print-obsessed) sister and now she wants you to be her personal cake-maker.
    My iPhone photography leaves something to be desired on these, but whatever.

For two-year-old twins.

For one of my cashiers, returning from a semester in London and celebrating a 19th birthday.

Here's the happy client now (totally hamming it up)!

I used to make cakes.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    My girlfriend's sister makes cakes like this, and I'm always amazed at what people can do with fondant. These are awesome!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.

• Everiine said:
    My girlfriend's sister makes cakes like this, and I'm always amazed at what people can do with fondant. These are awesome!
    Now if only [A] fondant didn't taste horrible [B] "Daraius"/"this sister" would "mail"/"send with you" a cake [C] ??? [D] a jar of almonds

.oO---~---Oo.

NARF!

Well, the options are [A] fondant, [B] gum paste (also bad tasting), [C] modeling chocolate (heavy), [D] rice crispy treats (which have to be covered in fondant), and [D] clay (inedible). I suppose you could use a jar of almonds to make marzipan, but that tends to be an acquired taste too.
    I used to make cakes.

• edited December 2012
    I bet you could bribe your way an Iron Con ticket by making the right people in IRE some custom cakes. :P
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Homemade marshmallow fondant is my preference, not bad to work with and tasty!

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited December 2012
    The filigree work is -gorgeous-. Ever think of joining Cake Boss? ;)

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

edited December 2012
    Some Christmas cheer here.

I used to make cakes.