Lusternia cruise meet

Recently I was talking to @Lyora and we were thinking it would be fun if we got a group together and went on a cruise sometime in 2016. I talked to a few others and got some interest as well, so we were wondering if there would be others interested in joining up. Not a lot of details yet, but I'm thinking the Caribbean for the location.

Would anyone else be interested in this?

Comments

• edited December 2015
    edit: coffee before sarcasm kaalak.
  • My top priority is saving up for my long-term visa and plane ticket to the USA (I'm shifting hopefully midway through 2016), which means several thousand dollars are already earmarked on that venture, so a cruise would be an emphatic 'nope' for me.  Sorry.
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • you'll never get my ass on a cruise, nope

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    You might be surprised how much fun it is, though it probably does depend on the cruiseline. Cruising is something my family found years ago; you get to see a large number of places, return to the same room each night with all your stuff, along with consistent (and good) meal service.

We did a Hawaii cruise a couple years back. Planning on repeating it in 2017. I highly recommend it.

PS: The Wyrden Island in the Inner Sea is based off of the Hawaiian islands and my memories from there.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I admit to being somewhat interested, 'cause I like fun things and excuses to visit different places, but as of right now I can't really conceive of a situation where it would actually be possible for me to attend such a thing. :( Maybe something about my situation will change by then, but it doesn't seem too likely from where I'm sitting.
  • Xenthos said:
    You might be surprised how much fun it is, though it probably does depend on the cruiseline. Cruising is something my family found years ago; you get to see a large number of places, return to the same room each night with all your stuff, along with consistent (and good) meal service.

We did a Hawaii cruise a couple years back. Planning on repeating it in 2017. I highly recommend it.
    Yeah, I've done four cruises. Pretty convenient way to see a handful of places vs having to arrange hotel and transportation from location to location. Sort of like a travel sampler. :P Plus there's a wide variety of things to do at each stop and on the boat, chances are anyone can find something they'd like to do.
  • I've always wanted to go on a cruise, even more so since my cousin went on one and always raves about it. This would totally give me a reason to commit to socking money away for it.
  • You should all come and witness me shaving off Acrune's beard in his sleep ^^
  • Lyora said:
    You should all come and witness me shaving off Acrune's beard in his sleep ^^

:-S
  • Yes! I'm totally interested!

:D When would this happen?
    -----

Nilofer says, "Xena is here, riding Xena, the Xenaesque Xena. She is wielding Xena in both of her hands."
  • Lyora said:
    You should all come and witness me shaving off Acrune's beard in his sleep ^^
    Are you back!!
  • edited December 2015
    Xena said:
    Yes! I'm totally interested!

:D When would this happen?
    I think @Acrune said sometime in April/May. He's supposed to look into this more since he has cruise experience but I guess that got put off because we're trying to get a feel for how many people would be interested.
  • That's kinda short notice for me. I'd be way more comfortable planning time off from work for it if it was like, around fall. After September would be optimal, in my case.
  • Tekora said:
    That's kinda short notice for me. I'd be way more comfortable planning time off from work for it if it was like, around fall. After September would be optimal, in my case.
    The reason I wanted to do earlier in the year is because rainy season starts in May, and hurricane season starts in June. But, part of what this thread is for is to see who can go when. If more people can go later in the year than earlier, we can do that :) 
  • I might be down for this, actually. Doubly so if we're leaving from Maryland or something.
    edited December 2015
    Pretty sure most Caribbean cruises head out from Fort Lauderdale-- but it's a pretty common destination, flights there are (usually) relatively reasonable.

Edit: Edited to say "Usually," I haven't looked into them this year! :)
  • edited December 2015
    Most cruises leave from Florida, but there are some that leave from Baltimore. I've done a cruise from Baltimore before, but I think it was a 10 day, which is likely longer than we'd do. I looked at some 7-days from Baltimore, and I'm not as crazy about the itineraries from Baltimore, compared to the ones from Florida. The ride from Baltimore to the Caribbean eats up a good chunk of the 7 days.

Its worth considering though if our big MD/DC crowd shows interest.
    I'd rather spend that time actually in the Caribbean instead of traveling to / from it, personally.  Note that this is just in general, as I can't make this specific trip, but just offering my own observations from experience!  Sea days can be nice, but if the bulk of your trip is sea days you don't really get to see much.  Except waves.
  • The main difference I see is that the ones that leave from Florida are 3-4 stops in the islands, where the ones that leave from Baltimore are generally 3 stops, and the first is in Florida, and the last is shortened a little. Not a deal-breaker, but I agree, I personally would rather start in Florida.
  • Okay, so then we'll have to budget for airfare to and from Florida as well.

Is the Caribbean the only option? Just curious.
    No, there are tons of cruise options. However, Caribbean is the standard "go to" for a reason. I loved cruising Alaska, Hawaii, and the Mediterrannean (and a shoutout to a couple of Mexican cruises as well). They are among my best cruise memories. But those are travel / exploration trips; you do them to see and do things. The Caribbean, you don't feel bad about taking a couple of shore days just to visit the beach and poke around the town, with expeditions to things that you find interesting. It is more of a relaxing vacation, and thus better for this kind of group thing imo.
  • Xenthos said:
    No, there are tons of cruise options. However, Caribbean is the standard "go to" for a reason. I loved cruising Alaska, Hawaii, and the Mediterrannean (and a shoutout to a couple of Mexican cruises as well). They are among my best cruise memories. But those are travel / exploration trips; you do them to see and do things. The Caribbean, you don't feel bad about taking a couple of shore days just to visit the beach and poke around the town, with expeditions to things that you find interesting. It is more of a relaxing vacation, and thus better for this kind of group thing imo.
    Agreed with all that. Plus they're a little to a lot cheaper than most other cruise options.
  • If I put my vote in I'd say Caribbean or Mexico.. Mostly because I can drive to Los Angeles and flights to FL from where I'm at are cheap. But I'd definitely go if it's in May.
    -----

Nilofer says, "Xena is here, riding Xena, the Xenaesque Xena. She is wielding Xena in both of her hands."
  • Fall wouldn't work for you?
  • Acrune said:
    Fall wouldn't work for you?
    Fall would work too!
    -----

• Just sayin, but carribean cruises go out of NOLA, Galveston, Houston or FtL. Depends on the cruiseline, when you want to leave, and how long you want the cruise to be. My favourite line is Norwegian.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I have a gay cruise in May, otherwise I would! It sounds like fun.
  • edited January 2016
    --------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
  • edited February 2019
    -