Great Houses & Losing All Honour

Comments

• That should be a doable thing.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    >---------------------------[ Changelog Entry #521 ]--------------------------<
       Entered by: Ieptix the Anomaly                  Date: 2016-01-17 01:58:53

o Families losing Great House status will no longer lose all honour.
       Instead, they will be unable to either gain honour or prevent yearly
       honour decay due to inactivity until regaining Great House status.
    >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<

Yay!
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    This is a really good change!

• This seems really weird and unfair, no offense, Shevat.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    I feel for the families this happened to before the change, but I think losing all family honour over one person is far more unfair.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Chirbo said:
    I'm just wondering where in the Peace Articles it warranted and execution 

bump
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Talan said:
    This seems really weird and unfair, no offense, Shevat.
    None taken. Has this happened before, though? I'm asking genuinely because I have no idea.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Sylandra said:
    Talan said:
    None taken. Has this happened before, though? I'm asking genuinely because I have no idea.
    Yeah, there was 1 family that had an alt in it, the alt intentionally quit to make the family lose Great House.  That also sucked.

Maybe 2 other families have lost Great House and their honour as well, through "normal" means, since the +10 change?  It's always terrible.  I just decided to write a post about it since it bugs me every time I see it.
  • edited January 2016

Sylandra said:
    Talan said:
    Well, no one has ever gotten 200k honor back and the rules changed... but other families have certainly lost greathouse before.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    Oh man that sucks. I wish this had been implemented sooner, then. :( Hopefully this is seen as a new start to a level playing field, rather than 'Shevat got a free pass but everyone else sucks and can suck it.' I can see why it feels weird if it hasn't gotten an admin response before, but better late than never?
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Sylandra said:
    Oh man that sucks. I wish this had been implemented sooner, then. :( Hopefully this is seen as a new start to a level playing field, rather than 'Shevat got a free pass but everyone else sucks and can suck it.' I can see why it feels weird if it hasn't gotten an admin response before, but better late than never?

Shevat is forever tainted by the touch of favoritism. SHAAAAAAME.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited January 2016
    Shaddus said:
    Sylandra said:

I am not a Shevat.  I have never been a Shevat.  I have no Shevat-alts.  I don't even knowingly RP with Shevats very much (ever?).  I don't know if the past events had forum threads created about them (I know it showed up in rants a time or two, but that's not really conducive to getting attention).  That's why I did it this way, I was hoping someone would take a look at it and pull an Ieptix.  ( <3 )

Edit: PS: I'm not actually taking your comment seriously, just pointing it out for others who might!

Shaddus said:
    Sylandra said:

Oh noes, mah reputation! =((

Well, for what it's worth, this wasn't something Shevat asked for. As said before, I think we could have worked our way up from 0 honor pretty okay! I do think it's Xenthos's thread that brought it to admin attention, as Ieptix's post here implies, and for that I am grateful. No one should have to go through this, and it sucks that people have until now. The good news is no one will have to go through it again.

In the meantime I for one accept your anger, disgruntlement, and dislike for the fact that events haven't played out fairly. If I had my way, they would have from the start.
    Daraius said:
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Alas, poor Stormcrow. At least the issue won't crop up again, or not in the same spectacular fashion.
  • @Xenthos , thanks for making this thread. When I logged in and saw what happened, I basically rage qq'd and accepted fate. But just showing a little bit of initiative and courage to say "hey, this is wrong" goes a long way. So thanks for that.

@Ieptix , you are pretty neat for taking the time out to just hotfix that mess.

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Shevat isn't alone in getting honour back. I am not sure what d'Murani lost honour for a year or so ago, but we lost Most Honorable Family for it, but it was issued and reversed, so that was nice.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • d'Cente lost all their honor too
    Silvanus said:
    Shevat isn't alone in getting honour back. I am not sure what d'Murani lost honour for a year or so ago, but we lost Most Honorable Family for it, but it was issued and reversed, so that was nice.

Our loss was determined to be a bug/throwback from some ancient code. We lost something like 100k honour because I resigned my council position to contest for GM rather than the position being reassigned first. Devastated that we could lose so much for something so stupid, I issued and Ieptix was his typical heroic self and restored the honour.

Other families that lost greathouse? n'Kylbar, d'Cente, Feyranti , Stormcrow and I also think de'Unnero? More than one or two, that's for sure.

• Marcella said:
    d'Cente lost all their honor too
    They never had any to begin with

bdum tss
  • Shaddus said:
    Chirbo said:

bump
    bump
  • Chirbo said:
    Shaddus said:
    Chirbo said:

bump
    bump
    This is better answered in the game than here on the forums.

• Dayum, never knew we could get something fixed on the fly if we make a thread about it, and apparently if the coders didnt know it existed.

Incoming threads for all problems henceforth.
  • edited January 2016
    Yeah, as someone who been "behind the curtain" elsewhere, I've seen some pretty jerkish things levied at administrators at times that borders on abuse and pure venom. People need to remember that most of them are volunteers, working out of a love for a game that they played (and still technically do, just on another level). People need to remember that volunteers are just that: volunteers. However, unlike players, they don't generally see what impacts us on a regular basis. People bug, typo, issue, etc. all kinds of things everyday, so it can be hard for someone that doesn't have a pure player's perspective as to what's a priority and what isn't. In my experience though, in cases of something like this, I've never seen an administration outright ignore someone if the players bring the administrator's attention to it. In any event, do try to be nicer to the administrators. As @Maylea said, they ARE human behind the monitor.

On the other hand, since administrators can sometimes lack that player perspective, it's important for them to remember at the same time that while players can sometimes be too emotionally invested into the game and oft for bad reasons, there are those who are invested into the game but have legitimate concerns. Players not only make large investments of their time, but in many cases with their money. Does this entitle players to anything? Not really, because you've gotten your money's worth in whatever you spent your credits on and the nature of the game fluctuates for that very reason. However, I've always believed that since we have so many skills here that are essential to combat, no one wants to see their class fall by the wayside. It's a monetary, emotional, and time-based investment with one's class. I reference Nihilist as an example of this. It largely feels that the class has been abandoned. Theoretically being stripped of a lot of its identity by possibly losing Ectoplasm, Wrack, Torture, and other skills and it didn't get nearly as much attention as Celestine did with the new pledge/pact powers. I know it can be easy for administrators to be wary of folks being biased for a class, but I have no positive bias at all towards Nihilists. I've fought against them constantly as an example on both Nienla and now my Celestine, so I nothing vested by using them as an example. The same can be said about Great Houses and all the time that goes into raising them, cultivating them from the ground up, etc. Just remember that while players may overreact at times, it's because they do have a lot invested into the game.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    That message (and effect) should be used for heartstops instead.