The New Coalitions for Glomdoring Thread[+]

TylwythTylwyth Member Posts: 1,474 Fabled
As the guild overhaul been confirmed, I think it makes sense to seperate out threads for each Org.
This thread is for discussion, ideas, questions specific to Glomdoring.
So, AFAIK, the Coven of Night and Murder of Crow Coalitions have support?
No?
I keep thinking I'm overlooking an obvious idea for a third one...
Edit: coalitions not guilds, sorry for confusion....

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

Post edited by Tylwyth on

Comments

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen CanadaMember Posts: 1,302 Transcendent
    edited February 2016
    Also, please don't make assumptions and spread rumours about which guilds have support and which don't, and make it sound like favouritism is a factor in the new planning phases. You're causing unnecessary anxiety and stress, and encouraging division, by posting misinformation. If you have questions about Glomdoring's new faction planning, Tylwyth, talk to one of Glom's leaders.

Tip: No one guild is being favoured over the others. The idea is that all of the guilds' ideals and whatnot are incorporated in the new "factions," hopefully without losing much of the work that was put into them.
    Tonight amidst the mountaintops   
    And endless starless night   
    Singing how the wind was lost   
    Before an earthly flight
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord Member Posts: 5,702 Transcendent
    Can we just have the threads deleted?  I feel like when an organization wants them / is ready for a forum discussion (and all that entails), they can create their own.
  • ThulThul Member Posts: 568 Fabled
    Xenthos said:
    Can we just have the threads deleted?  I feel like when an organization wants them / is ready for a forum discussion (and all that entails), they can create their own.

I'd rather that these had been one thread instead of a potential six, but there's nothing wrong with trying to start some discussion about something that's going to have an impact on the entire game. Even if they're not part of the existing leadership. Hell, especially if they're not part of the existing leadership. Coming down on someone wanting to contribute isn't cool. Especially going into something that's going to need all the enthusiasm we can get.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen CanadaMember Posts: 1,302 Transcendent
    Rancoura said:
    Also, please don't make assumptions and spread rumours about which guilds have support and which don't, and make it sound like favouritism is a factor in the new planning phases. You're causing unnecessary anxiety and stress, and encouraging division, by posting misinformation.
    If this doesn't happen, perhaps.
    Before an earthly flight
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord Member Posts: 5,702 Transcendent
    edited February 2016
    Thul said:
    Xenthos said:

I'd rather that these had been one thread instead of a potential six, but there's nothing wrong with trying to start some discussion about something that's going to have an impact on the entire game. Even if they're not part of the existing leadership. Hell, especially if they're not part of the existing leadership. Coming down on someone wanting to contribute isn't cool. Especially going into something that's going to need all the enthusiasm we can get.

Yes, we absolutely need the enthusiasm (see my other comments on this). What we don't need are people uninvolved with the organization muddying the waters with a deluge of inappropriate ideas at this stage (and forums are a completely open environment; Tylwyth's ideas he expressed here were most commonly being posited by non-Gloms during the initial discussion thread, as an example). Each org absolutely must have both the right and ability to come up with something unique to them, based on people who actually live there and work with the environment every day. There is a reason Rancoura suggested he speak with people directly. It is not to shut him out. It is equally important for the organizations (everyone in them!) to own their changes too, because if we don't, you also put a huge damper on the needed enthusiasm levels.

His heart is in the right place, but this environment just is not appropriate for org-specific discussions at this point in time. Let the orgs choose when they are ready and we can open our own threads then. Until then, the discussions should be internal to the org (and, preferably, inclusive within that realm).
  • NarynthNarynth Member Posts: 78 Gifted
    I want to reiterate some of the points made above and encourage anyone who has ideas, questions, and thoughts surrounding this change for Glomdoring to approach a commune leader (I'm always available, as are our guild representatives!) to share their input. Part of what will make this successful is ensuring we, the players have a voice in how each org-specific reorganization will take place, and that can only be further improved by hearing a variety of opinions and perspectives from those within Glomdoring who are committed to seeing this overhaul done well and as painlessly as possible. 
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective. Member Posts: 4,303 Transcendent
    I will just say that you probably shouldn't discourage outside input or treat it as unwelcome. The only people to know Glom aren't the people living in it right this very second, and there could be some great perspectives out there. 
  • NochtNocht Member, Gods Posts: 89 Divine
    edited February 2016
    Edit: I said all this before I realized we were doing subforums. Discuss away!
    Post edited by Nocht on
    Celina said:
    I will just say that you probably shouldn't discourage outside input or treat it as unwelcome. The only people to know Glom aren't the people living in it right this very second, and there could be some great perspectives out there. 

Hopefully keeping in mind that this likely does not currently, and may not ever, affect them the way it affects those who are currently in the org (particularly those who likely will never leave). That said, I do appreciate that ex-Gloms can point out many of the strengths and weaknesses they witnessed in the past, but I hope any input can stick to constructive criticism rather than general criticism.
    Before an earthly flight
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective. Member Posts: 4,303 Transcendent
    edited February 2016
    Dunno what that means. It's about faction development, reorganizing Glom's already existing lore. Nothing to do with leadership styles or political/personal strengths and weaknesses.

The clans are insular, it's ultimately Glom's call what to do just like every other org. The game, however, is not insular, and I'm just saying you are going down the path of "we matter more," which gets a little weird considering your CL was a Mag a RL year ago. You have to understand the game we are all playing.

As part of the Gaudi clan, I'd love to hear outside ideas. Doesn't mean I have to like them or support them, but ideas are ideas. In a game of infinite alts and gypsy players, who is to say who is more "Gaudi" IRL than I am. 
  • TalanTalan Member Posts: 1,000 Transcendent
    I'm curious if Glom is going to manage to bring in or restore any Scorpion with this.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    Celina said:
    Dunno what that means. It's about faction development, reorganizing Glom's already existing lore. Nothing to do with leadership styles or political/personal strengths and weaknesses.

The clans are insular, it's ultimately Glom's call what to do just like every other org. The game, however, is not insular, and I'm just saying you are going down the path of "we matter more," which gets a little weird considering your CL was a Mag a RL year ago. You have to understand the game we are all playing.

As part of the Gaudi clan, I'd love to hear outside ideas. Doesn't mean I have to like them or support them, but ideas are ideas. In a game of infinite alts and gypsy players, who is to say who is more "Gaudi" IRL than I am. 
    I'm sorry, you're absolutely correct and I did a poor job wording my comment. Anyone who has ever been 'in' Glomdoring, or is even particularly fond of the lore from an outside perspective could certainly throw ideas out there. My mind has really been stuck on 'buy-in of the population', but that doesn't mean there aren't entirely valid thoughts out there beyond the present community. 
    To give some insight into the very very initial conversations the group has had:

(bear in mind these are completely compiled from one extended conversation and in no way "set in stone"!)

Overarching theme could center around 'Parts of the Whole'.

Possible faction splits would incorporate an idea of Body/Spirit/(Mind/Voice/Heart).

Body: physical ties to the wellbeing of the forest. Martial in nature...potentially.

Spirit: representative of the spiritual/mystical/ritualistic aspect of the commune, strong ties to fae and faith. 

Mind/Voice/Heart: outward spread of the Wyrd, a "public face", the lifeblood of Glomdoring in terms of lore/tradition/et cetera.

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk Member Posts: 1,655 Transcendent
    Quit doing a poor job, fake CL
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • KaalakKaalak Member Posts: 515 Fabled
    You've had management training in the past 6 months haven't you Narynth. You've integrated the language well.
    Celina says "Well I was only mocking out of obligation."
    I'm sure Glom will have great ideas, some brilliant players there. Maybe I'm just being nosey or intrusive, I don't know, but Glom remains my favorite org and Shadowdancer's flavor my favorite of any guild I've ever tried. If Rancoura is involved in maintaining the SD identity to some degree, I have total faith it'll be fabulous.

As a player, I might come back to glom someday, who knows, I enjoyed Glom enough to never say never. My response is mostly just towards Xenthos's post that this process should be entirely insular. 
    edited February 2016
    Celina said:

I... wasn't referring to anything politics- or leadership-related at all, nor personal for that matter, nor was that comment directed at you in particular. I apologize if it sounded that way.

When I talk about this affecting those who are still in Glomdoring, I'm talking about these changes directly and very heavily impacting our specific interests, and while I'm not going to say something as ignorant as "we know best," I will say that we are much more heavily invested and committed to Glom and that I'm frankly going to take any external input with a grain of salt.

Am I being protective? Sure. It's no secret how dedicated I am to this org and I think I have the right to be.

As for the criticism, what I meant was that I'd prefer to hear something less like "the Nekotai Idols aren't included enough and it sucks and that's why Glom sucks" and something more along the lines of "hey, maybe we can incorporate the Idols more in all these new factions and include their teachings in bits and pieces in a way that complements Night and Crow so that they don't feel as left out."

Edited for grammar things.
    Before an earthly flight
    Also, I love that you bring up the fact that our current CL was a Mag not too long ago. As if her amazing leadership and grasp of Glomdorian concepts before she left doesn't count for anything and the fact (that I was told, anyway) that she was dormant while in Mag for most of that time.
    Before an earthly flight
  • KaalakKaalak Member Posts: 515 Fabled
    Btw if the theme is "parts of a whole", consider the word 'holistic' and synonyms
    Celina says "Well I was only mocking out of obligation."
    Rancoura said:
    Also, I love that you bring up the fact that our current CL was a Mag not too long ago. As if her amazing leadership and grasp of Glomdorian concepts before she left doesn't count for anything and the fact (that I was told, anyway) that she was dormant while in Mag for most of that time.
    It's not commentary on Narynth in any way, shape, or form. It's just a reality of the game. The population is largely transient to some degree, which is why I think being inclusive in the discussion is important. She's just an example of how people with great Glom ideas aren't just the die hard never leavers. 
    Narynth said:
    To give some insight into the very very initial conversations the group has had:

(bear in mind these are completely compiled from one extended conversation and in no way "set in stone"!)

Overarching theme could center around 'Parts of the Whole'.

Possible faction splits would incorporate an idea of Body/Spirit/(Mind/Voice/Heart).

Body: physical ties to the wellbeing of the forest. Martial in nature...potentially.

Spirit: representative of the spiritual/mystical/ritualistic aspect of the commune, strong ties to fae and faith. 

Mind/Voice/Heart: outward spread of the Wyrd, a "public face", the lifeblood of Glomdoring in terms of lore/tradition/et cetera.

I did something similar to this when I was raised as VA. I came up with this idea (or repeated one that already existed) of Wyrden flesh, Dark heart, and Merciless Spirit. Vadi was the flesh, Synkarin was the heart, I was the spirit etc etc. I always thought it was a cool idea.
  • TauTau Member Posts: 106 Adept
    Talan said:
    I'm curious if Glom is going to manage to bring in or restore any Scorpion with this.
    Not for lack of trying
  • TylwythTylwyth Member Posts: 1,474 Fabled
    Speaking as a nonNekatai learning more Scorpian stuff would be cool.
    Also would the Voice/Spirit be the guys willing to deal with outsiders basically?
    So, from an RP perspective, instead of telling someone to speak with the Ambassador about being unenemied or joining Glom, we could say "speak to someone in the Voice/Spirit icky nonGlom!" Or am I missundertand the last one?

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• NienlaNienla Member Posts: 272 Expert
    Crek and I shared some pretty similar ideas for the Glomdoring reformation. I'm of the opinion that Glomdoring can sustain two guilds with healthy, active populations. My idea is that two provides players at both peak and non-peak and allows for two organizations with a solid, rich background. I forsee a third guild having difficulties in that regard.

I'll start by saying that one guild should have a definite Crow influence and the other should have a Night influence. These influences should not be massive, but all things in Glomdoring have ties to either Night or Crow in SOME shape or form and I think that should persist. They won't be the dominating theme like with the Blacktalon and Shadowdancers, but they should remain a part.

The other idea, and this is Crek's idea, is that the guilds should reflect two philosophies. The first guild should be militaristic in its ideals of the Wyrd. It should be like a combination of the Blacktalon, Ebonguard, and part of the Nekotai. It should believe that the Wyrd is mighty, powerful, and will grow beyond the bounds of the Glomdoring Forest. It is dominant and it should mercilessly expand. They focus on external pursuits. Subjugating enemies and so forth. This doesn't mean that folks OUTSIDE of this guild can't do that, but it's the main focus of these guys.

The other guild should be loosely patroned by Night and be a sort of "vigil". They exist to enrich the Wyrd culturally, but keep it pure from any internal dissent. They are a wyrden inquisition basically. While they focus internally on threats from within and enriching wyrden culture, they seek to subvert other cultures via subterfuge, intrigue, and manipulation. They are the diplomats, but also the silent dagger that strikes when they least expect it. They are the covert to the other guild's overt nature. They would be a combination of the Shadowdancers, Harbingers, and part of the Nekotai.

If special government types exist, I'd like to see a Triumvirate for the first and a secret society-esque type for the second (that can also be structured as a triumvirate). The reason why I want a triumvirate-style for both is because with only two guilds, I'd like to have shared leadership rather than two people dominating as GM for potentially years. Xenthos is a perfect example of a GM that would probably never disappear.

These are just framework ideas that I think would really work. As for mechanical tie-in's that could reflect them, I have no idea. I'd like to hear what ideas that the admins have been thinking of in that regard and go from there, but here's a start.
  • LavinyaLavinya Former Queen of Snark AustraliaMember Posts: 3,354 Transcendent
    I don't like the idea of factions that pigeonhole the pkers in one and the rpers in the other, which I think would happen, given your descriptions of one being the dominant and merciless subjugators of enemies and the other being diplomats and culture. I think that's where we really need to be careful how we define the factions. Ideally we want the factions to be attractive to all sorts of players, to make them richer and fuller. Much like no guild now is just a pk guild or an rp guild. Holding onto the ideals of what we like about current guilds and expanding and shaping the new to be superior to what we have now.

Generally speaking however I don't in the most basic terms, an outward focused faction and an inward focused one. The outward focus could do just that, spread the wyrd, exert its dominance, by both physical fighting but also through aggressive diplomacy, lots of written propaganda. It can be both militaristic and also appealing to those who prefer other means.

The inward focused one, by the same token, could have those who wish to enrich the wyrden culture but also to defend and protect, so those who use any means to keep the Glomdoring strong and pure.

Religion can also factor into both - there's no reason an inward reaching playwright would want to worship Night any less than one who wishes to bring Night's dominance physically over Moon and the entire basin. 

It may have just been your wording and I apologise if it was. But please no divides along the line of pkers on one side, noncoms on the other.

It wasn't that, really. I expected one to just act as an external dominance front and the other to act as the subtle inquisition.
  • SaranSaran Member Posts: 1,646 Mythical
    @Nienla and @Lavinya. Not my org but kinda curious... is there any reason you wouldn't have those factions following both spirits?

Patroned/Influenced/Revering different aspects of the spirits. Mostly curious because of Seren discussions.
    Saran said:
    @Nienla and @Lavinya. Not my org but kinda curious... is there any reason you wouldn't have those factions following both spirits?

Patroned/Influenced/Revering different aspects of the spirits. Mostly curious because of Seren discussions.
    Because even with the Blacktalon and Shadowdancers, they kind of go beyond Night and Crow and have their own identities outside of them. They are a part of the two guilds to be sure, but they don't dominate every aspect. Me personally, I would like them to become more loose in their representation. Reformed guilds are an opportunity to kind of go beyond the typical mold.
  • SaranSaran Member Posts: 1,646 Mythical
    Yeah, that's why I asked.

Just because Lavinya's comment sort of goes beyond the status quo (for the forests at least) where each guild has their own spirit that they're linked to to heavily varying degrees, while a faction can just... take a small part of that spirit (Night going out to dominate the basin, False memory on history for morale :P)

Anyway, popping back out now.