To Guild or Not to Guild: a question of names

EstarraEstarra Administrator, Moderator Posts: 828 Creator
There needs to be a common, generic name for the "factions" (which I didn't like because it gives the connotation of rivalry which they really aren't meant to be). In the Havens, we probably spent more time than necessary debating it. While I like "coalition", it is a long-ish word and because it starts with the letter "C", it competes with cwho, clwho, cgwho, etc., which some people mix up enough already. We'd prefer to keep GWHO for simplicity sake and because that's what people are used to but struggled with finding an alternate word (gang, group, gathering). Even if we kept "faction", we'd be stuck with f-something-who to compete with family who. So round and round we go!

Which brings us to our current line of thought. Why are we going through linguistic acrobatics when 'guild' is a perfectly good word that's neutral and makes sense? Do we really need to dive into a thesaurus just to come up with a different term? Other games that have retired guilds seem to go through just this--we can't use 'guild', we have to come up with something else. But why?

So under the banner of semantic simplicity, we are considering keeping the term "guild" (rather than faction, coalition, etc.) to use as the generic name for the new subgroups under cities and communes. Of course, the long, fancy name of the 'guild' could be whatever you like. However, keep in mind that there also needs to be a one word alias (the short name) for coding purposes. Thus, the guild known as the Cathedral of Puppies and Kittens would also be known simply as the "Cathedral".

Comments

• TalanTalan Member Posts: 1,000 Transcendent
    I'm fine with "guilds". (New guilds/Old guilds for reference.) It's a good, neutral term that makes it easy for new players to understand the dynamic.

Totally agree about "factions" carrying divisive connotations and "coalitions" failing to gain any traction.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective. Member Posts: 4,303 Transcendent
    I'm okay with Guilds.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen CanadaMember Posts: 1,302 Transcendent
    I would prefer we use another term, in a sort of respect to the old guilds and also to mark this drastic change/new chapter in Lusternia.

Possible other names that I don't think would interfere with other present syntaxes - Assemblies, Aggregations, Rings, Wings, Units.

(Most of the good names start with C, F or S =/ )
    Tonight amidst the mountaintops   
    And endless starless night   
    Singing how the wind was lost   
    Before an earthly flight
  • NarynthNarynth Member Posts: 78 Gifted
    Sounds like a plan to me!
  • ShaddusShaddus His Imperial Altness Outside your window.Member Posts: 7,573 Transcendent
    How about Sects or Unions?
    2017/04/23 00:29:14 - Nefara honoured Shaddus for: For his dedication to the Earthen Lords and Lady, 
    and willingness to assist our young Pupils. Despite his choosing to not progress himself further, he 
    still works for the Geomancers, and the Engine, in any way he is capable. Also comes with a healthy 
    dose of rebellion, to ensure us of the Council can not be too relaxed.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective. Member Posts: 4,303 Transcendent
    Gaggles
  • SylandraSylandra Friend of Dog Member Posts: 4,096 Transcendent
    I like "guilds."
    Fyler said:
    Sylandra has a very signature (and somewhat twisted) sense of humor
  • ShaddusShaddus His Imperial Altness Outside your window.Member Posts: 7,573 Transcendent
    Coterie would be awesome if not for CWHO.
    2017/04/23 00:29:14 - Nefara honoured Shaddus for: For his dedication to the Earthen Lords and Lady, 
    and willingness to assist our young Pupils. Despite his choosing to not progress himself further, he 
    still works for the Geomancers, and the Engine, in any way he is capable. Also comes with a healthy 
    dose of rebellion, to ensure us of the Council can not be too relaxed.
  • MoiMoi Member Posts: 958 Mythical
    Estate could work, but it suggests a certain degree of pigeon-holing. And would conflict with ewho, I guess.
  • OtheroOthero Member Posts: 808 Expert
    I'm going to argue hard against guilds. Calling them guilds makes it really easy for people to fall back into the thinking that they're just like the old guilds or that the new "face-punching buddies guild" is just like the old "Warriors fighting stuff" guild. A brand new thing should have a brand new name.

Ad far as actual names, I like factions. Union is also a solid one. I also like House from Achaea but we already have a lot of things called a House. Councils is good though we have a lot of Council's too.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord Member Posts: 5,702 Transcendent
    What's wrong with S? I think Societies could work, too.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here Member Posts: 3,216 Transcendent

Sects - I don't know if that has the same kind of connotation as Factions, but I like Sects better than Societies

I'm also ok with Guilds - a name is what you make of it.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • SsalissSsaliss Member Posts: 3,573 Transcendent
    Likely because SWHO is short for SPARWHO, so they probably want to stay away from S-names.

Much like they likely want to stay away from C (CWHO), N (NWHO), O (OWHO) etc.
  • MoiMoi Member Posts: 958 Mythical

Xenthos said:
    What's wrong with S? I think Societies could work, too.
    Conflicts with SWHO, the "looking to spar" listing. A minor problem, but it's there.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord Member Posts: 5,702 Transcendent
    Dwho. Duelwho. Fixed? Seems like it is worth being able to consider S names, at least, vs. letting sparwho block it. Sects are fine, too.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here Member Posts: 3,216 Transcendent

SPWHO

If you're looking to spar, you can type an extra letter, let SWHO be secttells

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • SteingrimSteingrim Member Posts: 828 Fabled
    Synkarin said:

SPWHO

If you're looking to spar, you can type an extra letter, let SWHO be secttells

Not sure which I like, and the issue isn't a big deal for myself, so don't treat this as a recommendation.  But I do agree with Syn's point. Also, one can  even type out SPARwho. Also for those who have trained themselves to reflexively use SWHO you can alias the new command whatever it is.
    You tell Wyrden Ravager Tarken, "Come to Gaudiguch. I'll give you the title of Grand Moth."
    Eyes peering skywards as he thinks, Ironbeard the Magnanimous says to Sksez, "Welll, on my gooD lis *hic* t, we have....Stei *hic* ng *hic* rim.U..Xypherv....Luu *hic* hghaigh *hic* hhe....Breandryn....."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear Member Posts: 2,555 Transcendent
    And here I always just used sparwho.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Three Lakes, WIMember Posts: 2,755 Transcendent
    We could definitely make SWHO and SPWHO work. We already do it with CWHO and CLWHO.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • UshaaraUshaara Member Posts: 1,189 Transcendent
    Am fine with guild, but for another option, could just go with the existing 'clan' system and set it to a CLAN 0 slot, on top of the 10 free clan slots players get already?
  • OtheroOthero Member Posts: 808 Expert
    Ushaara said:
    Am fine with guild, but for another option, could just go with the existing 'clan' system and set it to a CLAN 0 slot, on top of the 10 free clan slots players get already?
    That would be nice and easy but I am betting good money that it is some sort of coding nightmare.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Three Lakes, WIMember Posts: 2,755 Transcendent
    I'm finding Sect to be as palatable as guild right now. Thesaurus.com has all sorts of strange suggestions for words, but nothing seems general or broad enough to cover everything.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • KaalakKaalak Member Posts: 515 Fabled
    edited February 2016
    As someone with a Thesaurus installed on my wetware, "guilds" is fine.
    Celina says "Well I was only mocking out of obligation."
  • HallenHallen Member Posts: 79 Capable
    I definitely sympathize with @Othero on this one, and to me it makes sense to use a new name to suggest these are new, different organizations, but what is necessarily so different about the new factions/coalitions/sects/guilds/gaggles, in terms of basic conceptual outline? They won't be limited by class (classflex already eased that restriction, as I understand it) and they may be reconceiving and reorienting the roleplay of old guilds, but they'll still be groups of like-minded individuals pursuing ideological goals ultimately tied to a city or commune.

Changing the name has some appeal, but I don't know that we should lose too much sleep over this given that there seems to be a lot of other important work to do.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen CanadaMember Posts: 1,302 Transcendent
    I was thinking no "S" also because of the short form of "sw" also meaning "go southwest", but I do like Sects quite a bit. 
    Tonight amidst the mountaintops   
    And endless starless night   
    Singing how the wind was lost   
    Before an earthly flight
  • YarouYarou Member Posts: 218 Master
    edited February 2016
    Estarra said:
    Thus, the guild known as the Cathedral of Puppies and Kittens would also be known simply as the "Cathedral".

brb renouncing cacophony and joining this amazing cathedral.

• LavinyaLavinya Former Queen of Snark AustraliaMember Posts: 3,354 Transcendent
    I quite like society. Also perfectly ok with guild.

• NienlaNienla Member Posts: 272 Expert
    Guild is fine, honestly.