To Guild or Not to Guild: a question of names

2»

Comments

• SaranSaran Member Posts: 1,483 Fabled
    I kinda like faction, I was actually wondering if the family stuff could change to "house" so like hwho and the like.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me. Member Posts: 1,532 Transcendent
    I like Division, League, or Sect.
  • DaraiusDaraius is so over haiku The juror's taco spotMember Posts: 4,075 Transcendent
    Ooh, I like the sound of league too. But also not opposed to guild.
  • NarynthNarynth Member Posts: 78 Gifted
    Because I love words:

assemblage, band, coterie, division, ensemble, formation, guild, host, ibidem (okay, stretching there), junction, kindred, league, melange, network, outfit, party, q.... (screw q), ring, society, trust, union, vessel, wing, x (no), ...yz.

Guild works, though. It's all amounting to much the same imo.
  • StratasStratas Member Posts: 325 Fabled
    I wouldn't be upset with League, but in case that sounds too much like you're taking bowling too seriously, Guild remains just fine.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • KalnidKalnid Member Posts: 395 Virtuoso
    ... Melange?
  • HavastusHavastus Member Posts: 337 Gifted
    I agree with @Lavinya. Society sounds neat. Guild, while a good and neutral name, comes with a lot of history. While it's good history, this is a really big change which I believe should start fresh, complete with a new name.

Plus, Society sounds... Official!

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear Member Posts: 2,461 Transcendent
    But then I can campaign for The League of Extraordinary Gentlepeople. Or the Justice League, Injustice League...
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk Member Posts: 1,433 Transcendent
    Devotion.

DWHO.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • ShaddusShaddus Outside your window.Member Posts: 6,892 Transcendent
    Let's talk about Sects baby, let's talk about you and me.
  • EritheylEritheyl Not a nice person. Member Posts: 1,589 Transcendent
    edited February 2016
    Guild is fine. Sect is better.

But then you run into the problem of SW as the short form of SECTWHO/SWHO, which...well that's a direction. Not that I really care about the fine details, I'm just fond of the word.

Edit: when you have to edit your edit because it takes two tries and a span of hours to fix a single typo.
    Post edited by Eritheyl on
  • TekoraTekora Member Posts: 326 Gifted
    Adding my name as one of the ones who are fine with Guild, but won't be brokenhearted if it's something else as well.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me. Member Posts: 1,532 Transcendent
    I would prefer it not be called "Guild" anymore. 

We've broken up, times were good, but it's time to move on.
  • TalanTalan Member Posts: 989 Transcendent
    Also fine with sects, I guess. Let's put the thesauri away though.
    #NoWireHangersEver
  • KaalakKaalak Member Posts: 515 Fabled
    Kalnid said:
    ... Melange?

...must flow
    Celina says "Well I was only mocking out of obligation."
  • ZarialleZarialle Member Posts: 97 Adept
    I agree with Lavinya, I like Society best as it seems to denote and speak more to the purpose of the new orgs with the Overhaul but guilds works better compared to the other options thus far to me.
    Zarialle's first dance:
    Trader Bob leads Zarialle through the dancers to the dance floor and brings her all the way to its heart.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi Member Posts: 2,072 Transcendent
    My main qualm about Sect or society is that we already have squads, ships, and spars in the form of sqt, shipt, and swho, not to mention the direction, any or all of which might be aliased to 'st', which is the Lusternian base command to set a target. R words run afoul of RWHO, O words OWHO, C messes with City, Clan, and collegium functions, F with family, and N the novice stuff...

Maybe D? Delegation or Division...Uh...should probably avoid calling them Houses because of families as well, though we could always open up the F-lists by calling what is currently the Family system the House system, giving it a cane and promising it a new team to work with it, opening up Faction, Foundation, Federation, and Fellowship...

I think I just went cock-eyed...
  • FalmiisFalmiis Member Posts: 1,277 Transcendent
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Member Posts: 3,164 Transcendent
    I get not wanting to confuse aethers, but please don't choose the name based on the letter it starts with.This is a massive and in some way scary change, the last thing we need is to pick a name and down the track everyone going 'ugh why did they go with this name? Oh because it started with a different letter than an existing aether? Lame'.  (And I'll admit I'll probably be one of the ones thinking that if we end up with a dumb name.)

I like society because it implies a grouping of similar interests/beliefs. It doesn't inherently seem to imply schism like faction or division does, and it doesn't sound like a bowling competition like league does.

I won't cry if we keep guild, but I do agree with the consensus that a new system should have a new name. 

• AllyrianneAllyrianne Member Posts: 334 Expert
    One thing that occurred to me is that if we went with S, cities could have societies, while communes had sects (or something like that). This may or may not be a terrible idea.

Using some other term could leave the option of the guilds continuing as primarily NPC organisations with historical significance.

But currently I'm not really attached to any particular terminology
  • SylandraSylandra Meta-Landra Member Posts: 3,277 Transcendent
    I mean sure it's a new system. But it's also not that different from the old system, y'know?
    Fyler said:
    Sylandra has a very signature (and somewhat twisted) sense of humor
  • RancouraRancoura the Nightwreathed Queen CanadaMember Posts: 1,063 Transcendent
    edited February 2016
    Sylandra said:
    I mean sure it's a new system. But it's also not that different from the old system, y'know?

Based on the direction in which Glom's new factions at least seem to be going, I disagree. As I mentioned, it's a new chapter, and a sort of combination of the existing guilds. That sounds new enough to warrant a new name.
    Tonight amidst the mountaintops   
    And endless starless night   
    Singing how the wind was lost   
    Before an earthly flight
  • VetalaVetala Member Posts: 145 Adept
    How about Companies?
  • MaleranMaleran Member Posts: 11 Inept
    I like the sound of Foundation, Federation, or Fellowship it stays with the F theme that was originally planned, has a nice ring of unity and shared ideals, rather than as @Lavinya put it, developing a schism, plus it would allow for leaving the guild channels as is so that we would still be able to communicate with others of our class if we had a skillset specific  question or something along those lines.

• OrdassaOrdassa Member Posts: 30 Apprentice
    league. e.g the league of crystal warriors.
  • TremulaTremula I just really like Chocobos Member Posts: 2,128 Transcendent
    Society and Sects are well and dandy, but once I read 'gaggle' I thought a gaggle of geese. Then I remembered that the name for a group of dragons is a thunder of dragons. So I'm putting Thunder out there, that way every Aslaran who is not rogue is now, by default, a Thundercat.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    In light of this, I'd like to propose that the collective noun for Aeromancers be 'storm' .
    That's the Sentinels
2»