Faction Names and Initial Concepts

Comments

• ChirboChirbo Member Posts: 733 Fabled
    Stratas said:
    There is mysticism in the city, but it's hard to find sometimes. A lot of the serious RP tends to be tied to orders, rather than guilds and org stuff, sadly. It's definitely something we're all wanting to address going forward.

One of my goals in this is to make sure that every playstyle would have a reason to be in any faction. They're largely based on the Bartle types, yes, but it needs to be more than just TNI is for explorers, Goon Squad is killers, and Merry Pranksters is socializers. Why would a PKer join TNI? Why would a non-com join the Goon Squad? To me, this means giving each one a 'below the surface' reason for existence, and that means some more serious RP, not necessarily mystical but more in depth than "we party all the time". The Goon Squad stuff I thought up was in that vein - yeah, they are first and foremost warriors, but, as a wise man once said "it's not enough to bash in heads, you have to bash in minds." 

I'm not sure if I can or should post my ideas for the Merry Pranksters and Goon Squad, but if I get the okay, I'll toss it up here and everyone can see what my thoughts are, at least.
    Honestly I could see Chirbo joining the Goon Squad I'm seeing it as "fighting for what's right" not just fighting, correct me if I'm wrong.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals Member Posts: 2,145 Transcendent
    Yeah, I see nothing wrong with running with Goon Squad either. Fits the thematics that Celina outlined pretty well.
  • StratasStratas Member Posts: 349 Fabled
    Chirbo said:
      Honestly I could see Chirbo joining the Goon Squad I'm seeing it as "fighting for what's right" not just fighting, correct me if I'm wrong.
    For the idea I had, yes. The Goon Squad is like Gaudi's archetypal Big Bro. They're family, they'll tease you and give you hell, but ultimately they want to see their little bros/sisters grow up to be awesome people. Sometimes that means being a leader, or a teacher. Sometimes that means jumping the bully who keeps stealing your lunch money.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • TwytchTwytch Member Posts: 485 Expert
    I am in love with all of these. They manage to capture almost all of the facets of Gaudiguch roleplay. There is a place for everyone.
    See you in Sapience.
  • NienlaNienla Member Posts: 272 Expert
    You could just give the Goon Squad a traditional 'gang'-esque name, as that is what they're sounding like. Examples, though not specifically for the Goon Squad, would be names similar to 'the Kings', 'the Saints', etc.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne Member Posts: 2,639 Transcendent
    I have to say, I enjoy everything about the Goon Squad except the name.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective. Member Posts: 4,369 Transcendent
    edited February 2016
    The Sharks. The Jets.

We can spontaneously break out into the Gaudiguch version of "America," at the flame.

EVERYWHERE GRIME IN GAUDIGUCH. ORGANIZED CRIME IN GAUDIGUCH!
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne Member Posts: 2,639 Transcendent
    LIFE IS ALRIGHT IN GAUDIGUCH.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective. Member Posts: 4,369 Transcendent
    edited February 2016
    I hear @Shuyin feels pretty. Oh so pretty.
    We should call the them Broncos
    I agree, let's make Gaudiguch great again!
    See you in Sapience.
    If not Goon Squad

The Crew?
    ...The Family
    freaking mobsters I can see it now
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me. Member Posts: 1,611 Transcendent
    edited February 2016
    I shared the same concerns re: the name, but reading the Wikipedia article on it has swayed my thoughts and I feel it's appropriate for Gaudiguch and the faction's intent. 

In fact, I can kind of picture an amusing scenario where the squad tries out various other more noble or bad ass sounding names only to end right back where they started. Apples and trees and all that. 

Also, it's very pleasing to know that the Goon Squad will be an actual term now and not just me affectionately calling my crew that.
    Post edited by Shuyin on
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear Member Posts: 2,555 Transcendent
    Note to self: get on Shuyin's schedule so I can be a goon.
  • LeradLerad Member Posts: 2,396 Transcendent
    Alternative name for the Goon Squad: Liberal Crime Squad

• KaalakKaalak Member Posts: 515 Fabled
    Celina says "Well I was only mocking out of obligation."
    Maybe we could insert a Dragon theme somewhere.
    See you in Sapience.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me. Member Posts: 1,611 Transcendent
    edited February 2016
    Honestly, not every faction needs to have a Super Serious name. 

I'm sure there will be plenty of that when Glomdoring, Serenwilde, Hallifax, Celest, and Magnagora decide on theirs.

In fact, goon's "silliness" stems mostly from OOC connotations, it's not like we'd be called the Pants-On-Headers or anything. I would rather embrace the Goon Squad rather than try to give a name that runs against the idea of the faction. It would seem a bit presumptuous IMO. Also "Peaky Blinders", "Third Street Saints", and "The Warriors" were already taken, those were my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choices.

My only regret is the I will never be able to match "The Helpful Union Guys" as the epitome of wit.

Like Celina, I enjoy the idea of a faction with multiple layers where the players can be as shallow or deep as they wish to be. If they just want to lolpk, they are welcome to, but if they want to scheme, cajole, threaten and then lolpk, that will be equally encouraged. The other people in the clan can vouch that I was one of the more vocal naysayers regarding the name because my fears were pretty much what you guys have written, but after talking with them, I am very convinced that the idea can work as long as the execution is on point.

• HallenHallen Member Posts: 79 Capable
    I'm moving to Gaudiguch once the Goon Squad opens (I know it's too early to make statements like that, but let me dream).
  • OtheroOthero Member Posts: 832 Virtuoso
    Listen @Hallen, I also love all of these ideas and so badly want to be in the Goon Squad but that is what alts are for.
  • HallenHallen Member Posts: 79 Capable
    Othero said:
    Listen @Hallen, I also love all of these ideas and so badly want to be in the Goon Squad but that is what alts are for.
    This is why I'm moving to Gaudiguch, @Othero. You just want to restrict my Freedom.
    Twytch said:
    Maybe we could insert a Dragon theme somewhere.
    >racist
  • SalithSalith Member Posts: 44 Capable
    Well. It's pretty clear that a majority of players in and out of Gaudiguch support lolrandom epic jokez kek for the city's direction, so I'm going to be a minority in this:

In title, 'The Merry Pranksters' and 'The Goon Squad' lack substance and, to me, are silly to the point of ridiculousness. Obviously, I'm not a huge fan.

I enjoy the concept outlines and descriptions, but the names aren't cutting it. It's my opinion that they should be a bit more formal, or at least more succint.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here Member Posts: 3,216 Transcendent
    The point of the titles is to lack substance in of themselves actually.

What names would you suggest though?

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Lacking substance would be acceptable, if they didn't also sound silly as I described.

Honestly, I think the thing which bothers me most is the length. If the goal is to lack substance, then that should be emphasized. People should be inclined to form their own opinions of an organization; the organization should lack unnecessary descriptors in its title.

IE: The Pranksters or The Goons.

I'm still not a fan of either, but it would be an improvement.
    Though, I'd like to state again that I'm speaking for a minority and creativity isn't my specialty. Ideally, I'd like a name that is more formal.

Even if the guilds are referred to by the suggested names, I'd *really* be freaking elated if they had a proper title.

More epic, I guess.
  • AlaryAlary Member Posts: 450 Expert
    edited February 2016
    It would interesting if we could pull the names from historical sources and meld them into the game and history of Gaudiguch. Exactly what sources, really, who knows. Or maybe like faction 1 could be Seekers of the Flames, and faction 2 Defenders of the Pyres and faction 3 Keepers of the Entertainment/Joy/Pleasure/etc. I dunno, it probably sounds stupid. 

That's just what the jist of each faction seems to me. 
    Also maybe taking those names and throwing them at a thesaurus and see what comes out could be an option. 

(Also being said I like the names as they stand, but these were just some things that rolled to the front of my mind so I'd figure I'd toss them out)
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here Member Posts: 3,216 Transcendent
    edited February 2016
    Each one will need a hardcoded identifier - so they likely will be Pranksters/Goons. 

I guess I don't understand why they sound silly. They fit the concept nicely I think.

Honestly, I feel like there are expectations about fantasy genres that are not being met, because we're not sticking to the same generic theme that most fantasy fits into, and that's why people cringe at the names. I find these concepts and names considerably more appealing than say 'The hall of fire' or what more generic fantasy titles could be extracted from Gaudiguch. While the names lack substance (on purpose) there is certainly substance underneath it all. 

Why exactly is Goon Squad or Merry Pranksters silly?

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • RanahRanah Member Posts: 59 Capable
    edited February 2016
    I worry that having the shits and giggles hardcoded into the guild names will only encourage the lack of substance and depth otherwise felt in the city. It sets the bar really low to develop anything other than lolrandom, which means there's both a lot of missed opportunities, as well as a really flat note for new people coming in. You can't expect us to immediately seek out orders (especially when it seems there's only one active god in our pantheon) to find any depth, and have those be what is a counterbalance for the larger encompassing organizations (that are more required).

For the Goon Squad: 
    • The Red Takers
    • The Cinder(something) (syndicate?)
    • the Emberfists
    • The Ashen Brand (as in that hot thing you mark people with, which could in turn be some really neat imagery throughout the org for rank or gang symbols used to imprint enemies - "It's time to Blaze and Break, boys!")
    • The Wyvern's Maw
    • can design some RP tropes to generate a name off of like Peaky Blinders (because they blind people with the peaks of their caps where they hide razors - pick a theme/symbol and spin off of that )
    • The Drakes (sans hotline bling)
    • #-Flame Company (5-flame? 7? I don't know how many there are). 

I'll do a mind dump for Merry Pranksters in a bit.

Addendum: And the lack of substance does bother me. It just makes an excuse for the orgs to remain in the halfway point of IC and OOC without any real meaning or meat to them, without any purpose or identity beyond being a drugged up version of a kindergarten party. There's a lot more that can be going on, and if that's the only note to be found, that's all that will develop. Though since I seem to also be in the minority, it seems I'm the one that needs to look elsewhere. Which makes me sad, because I feel like there's a lot more potential here than is being considered.