Faction Names and Initial Concepts

12346»

Comments

• AnaklusmosAnaklusmos Member Posts: 78 Capable
    Re: The Illuminators/Illuminati problem of "secrets" as a core RP identity

I think one way of addressing this is to have something that is worth keeping 'secret'. Something along the lines of, how does Hallifax actually float? 

How does one become truly Enlightened? What horrifying sacrifices have to be made, what grand realizations are obtained to reach this state?

Notice the quotation marks on secret - it's not easy to keep anything really super secret. The trick is to make the concept so horrifyingly brilliant that everyone has a vague idea of what it is, but no one wants to really talk about it. Then you can form the secretive atmosphere from there.
  • DanquikDanquik Member Posts: 144 Master
    edited April 14
    Illuminati actually do have a secret that nobody is supposed to know about, but one GM tells whoever he decides and a few other people just know.

In short if Not Illuminati want to keep secrets, don't tell certain people.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne Member Posts: 2,639 Transcendent
    edited April 14

I think one way of addressing this is to have something that is worth keeping 'secret'. Something along the lines of, how does Hallifax actually float? 

Literally everyone knows that. We have better kept secrets. :disappointed:

And even if they don't know it, they can easily pass off metagaming as "former Hallifaxian told them!"

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning ** Member Posts: 1,652 Transcendent
    The problem with Secrets is that it's no fun if nobody knows, but if somebody knows, everybody knows. Also it really enables cliquey bullshit, see: Illuminati 'Big Secret'. imo it's not a concept that translates over to a text game environment very well.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi Member Posts: 2,332 Transcendent
    I wish I knew some of these basin-shattering secrets y'all are on about. (Also, that one thing? Luce's looking into it between bouts of horror fueled angst.)
  • BairlochBairloch Member Posts: 9 Novice
    Huh. I honestly don't know if Bair fits in any of these. He's more of a scholar, but not really a "secrets!" kind of scholar. Wants to share what he learns. Wants to help and contribute. Which is more the 3rd group.
    Huh. I'll have to think about this some more.
  • BreandrynBreandryn Member Posts: 1,518 Transcendent
    To be honest, I like the idea of the revellers being that alternative school. Have them all about dancing on the brink of madness and finding enlightenment through losing oneself, be that in battle, in drugs, or simply in the sheer power of magic itself - call that moment the Revelry. Have them be the edgy rebels who have a rivalry with the more traditional school of magic taught by the Seekers. I feel like that extra facet gives a WHY to the partying and gives the city some nice internal tension. 

Are we allowed to do things like that with the themes we are given or is adding in stuff through progression, guild rp and identity like that straying too far from the org templates?
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning ** Member Posts: 1,652 Transcendent
    edited April 20
    We're especially lucky in that most things for Gaudiguch always have a certain touch of mutability, or at the very least are wide open to vastly differing interpretations for pretty much ever.

If you want to be a part of the Revelry, and you want your own focus to be rebelling against this or that because of Reasons, then totally do that. It could just stick as your own thing, or more people could hop on board and it can become An Actual Thing. You never know, so always, always put that first foot forward. So long as you're not, you know, being obnoxiously heretical.

(though even that has a time and place...)

The clan has been silent as the grave so I really can't say what is or what isn't going on. But if you want to bring a cause to the table, either before or after the factions have had more of their bits tacked on...then like, live your truth, man. I certainly have a slew of things ready for the Revelry and refuse to be shy about them when the time comes, more is always merrier!
  • SteingrimSteingrim Member Posts: 829 Fabled
    Re: The Illuminators/Illuminati problem of "secrets" as a core RP identity

How does one become truly Enlightened? What horrifying sacrifices have to be made, what grand realizations are obtained to reach this state?

Notice the quotation marks on secret - it's not easy to keep anything really super secret. The trick is to make the concept so horrifyingly brilliant that everyone has a vague idea of what it is, but no one wants to really talk about it. Then you can form the secretive atmosphere from there.
    A lot of us like to read and I think we bring that hope to here. In any story such a premise has a ton of possibility. But, games, are different. Do you implement it mechanically, or just leave it as an RP thing. Either works, but mechanical usually feels more real. What's the point of knowing secrets which have little impact when the reason for the guild claiming to pursue secrets in the first place is actual power?

When there's just a few 'secrets' how do you space them out? If your guild has three secrets at what point does everyone know all the secrets? Even five secrets seems really thin to me.

The Illuminati IMO should have been set up a bit like Scientology in form. Certain levels in the guild should have unlocked something. Perhaps, something like easier ways to gain flesh, etc. I wouldn't want to put an exhaustive list here as maybe some of the ideas might get implemented down the road.

What would have been helpful in the past is for the patrons to come forward and say, I may have some time in the upcoming month, anyone have an ideas pass them though your GM. If one small thing was added ever year or two they'd be a good half dozen at this point.
    You tell Wyrden Ravager Tarken, "Come to Gaudiguch. I'll give you the title of Grand Moth."
    Eyes peering skywards as he thinks, Ironbeard the Magnanimous says to Sksez, "Welll, on my gooD lis *hic* t, we have....Stei *hic* ng *hic* rim.U..Xypherv....Luu *hic* hghaigh *hic* hhe....Breandryn....."
  • BairlochBairloch Member Posts: 9 Novice
    Eritheyl said:
    Per a clanhelp by oldMysrai, concerning the original Burning Revellers:

*snip*
    The Burning Revelers are the ones
    who fill the drinks, cash the chips, busk for every bawdy play, and
    sweep up the confetti in the rare moments of quiet. While many are
    performers, and many more are unabashed hedonists, the only requirement
    to join the Revelry is to wish to care for the city culturally, even if
    said culture is often the kind found growing on the wall of a public
    privy.

*snip*

The quieter side of the Burning Revelers, if it can be said to have such
    a thing, is one of affectionate caretaking: it is often the Revelers who
    sweeps up after one of the citys many riots, it is the Revelers who make
    sure everyone arrived home safe after the dance, and it is the Revelers
    who hold the citys metaphorical hair back after a hard night out.
    Community is the heart of their work.

*snip*
    Now this is something I could fall into. That is much more Bair. If there's a place for that in one of the new guilds, I'll be much less concerned at feeling useful.
12346»